Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm moving and have no business playing crawl this week.... Is there a team I could join to try and eek out a win anyway? I don't want anyone to suffer from my relative non-participation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

taqueso posted:

Join the zero-pressure OgreTeam. I won't mind if you forget to play ogres or don't play at all.

code:
Legend of the Ogrefiend

1. taqueso
2. worldfamousw
3. mrwillsauce
4. Jeffrey

# TEAMCAPTAIN taqueso

This is as good a sales pitch as any - gonna use a new account and start fresh for the tournament.

Goodpancakes posted:

I'm actually in the same boat. Maybe we should start a team?

Presumably you can join too?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 3, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Taqueso posted:

Legend of the Ogrefiend

1. taqueso
2. worldfamousw
3. mrwillsauce
4. SAJeffrey
5. hooplah
6. Glidergun

# TEAMCAPTAIN taqueso
Okay I edited my username, apparently Jeffrey was taken on CAO. :argh:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

I ran into two rooms with 3 electric eels in them on like D 5 or 6. I just left them alone. How would I tackle this as a regular ol fighter guy. Shoot them with ranged stuff? Wait for relec?
You did exactly as you were supposed to. Get your revenge during the orb run if you really wanna show em.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah weapon skill increases weapon speed (to a point) and weapon damage. Fighting affects damage similarly but adds HP instead of attack speed. The effect that this ends up having is that fighting is more of a defensive skill, ala dodging or armor, and should be trained alongside those. The damage increase isn't insignificant but it's going to be dwarfed by weapon skill until you reach your weapon's maximum swinging speed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, I think the current behaviour is what that line of code was *intended* to do - they just called the wrong function to calculate "dist".

e: lol

I'm glad that now both diagonals and the Very Special case are now addressed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Autoexplore should probably just not cross deep water if you only have temporary flight (and you can't swim or otherwise walk through deep water or whatever other weird special cases).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I am Otis posted:

I set mine to 90. I don't tab anymore :p
At some point it's actually more harmful for me because my chance of hitting the wrong direction and walking (diagonals :argh:)outweighs the risk of hitting tab.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Hold tab until you win.

Alternate walk away a step and tab.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You put on the +2 Felid Barding of Ponderousness. You feel sluggish.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

auto_butcher is built in now and works decently, chunk tedium is way down. Basically you have to sometimes eat food in a couple lair branches and crypt now and that's it. I hate food but i no longer really care because it's barely noticeable now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If you happen to be wearing rpois already, which is common enough, you didn't have to wait for the right kind of corpse. It's really apparent in Spider and Snake, where I'm always grateful for something like a tarantella to come along.

I never played the rpois minigame you're talking about. I know that's the kind of optimal play that some people feel obligated to stick to, but you always had the choice of just ignoring it. Now everyone just has fewer food options.
I still don't understand how having to occasionally eat permafood in a branch or two is worse having to constantly hit c over every corpse, like you did in older versions. There's no universe where it's more tedious now.

Let's add chunks for every resistance. Eat red chunks with rN+! Bright red chunks with rN++! Acidic chunks that need rCorr!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Carcer posted:

Under the old system you could still choose to eat permafood if you didn't want to butcher a corpse. I'm also not sure why you where butchering every corpse unless you were also doing something with sublimation/simulcrum.

There was no harm in keeping the old system, one that a new player would either find through experimentation or not ever be inconvenienced by.
I didn't mean literally every corpse - it's that you have to hit c at all. The real point is, in modern crawl, you can turn auto_butcher on and never have to hit c over any corpses, and in fact you can rebind the key and still win. I don't see how any sort of feature changes could make an old version less tedious than that. Maybe automatically pick a food item to eat if you hit e while hungry?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Carcer posted:

So how would anything be different now if you could still eat poison chunks? They'd still get auto-butchered if you could eat them and you could save some food, though thats mostly irrelevant due to the amount of food you get.

Its a change that only people who wanted to keep it around really care about, and even then its probably a really minimal issue for them. So why not keep poison chunks?
Do you actually miss chunks you need a resistance to eat, or just the lack of food in those branches? IE, would it have been okay if poison chunks became edible chunks instead? If you really liked only eating stuff with a certain resistance, why? You said yourself you always keep rPois on, making the situation approximately the same as it is now. If not, and it's just the lack of food in those branches that bugs you...maybe map c to e and pretend your permafood is chunks? The gameplay impact is minimal.

I'm in favor of removing things that don't "pay rent" in terms of interesting decisions for the complexity they add. Chunks that you can only sometimes eat weren't even close.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Carcer posted:

I'm of the opinion that food should probably be removed since its almost completely meaningless except for a couple races. To more directly address the rpois chunk thing, if nobody is going to complain if you keep the feature but some people are going to complain by removing it, why remove it?
Removing the extraneously is a design goal, pleasing everyone is not. I think food will disappear eventually though. Also sorry I was confusing you for the guy who stopped updating crawl because of rMut which I find just as weird.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Carcer posted:

If that's the only criteria for what gets the axe and what doesn't then its not getting applied consistently. Lots of monsters need to go then, since they're functionally the same. There are some weapons can probably be gotten rid of as well since they're not meaningfully different. Spells too could use some pruning to get rid of those judged "extraneous".
I think all these things would be good. Lots of monsters have been removed. I dunno if so many weapon classes need to exist, but with ripostes you see that at least they're trying to differentiate them.

IMO Merge staves and maces as a start - "dire flail" becomes lajatang and it's done.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't doubt that. I'm probably trying too hard to conserve my food.

But if that's the rationale for removing poison chunks, why are edible chunks still in the game at all?
There was a chunkless branch awhile back, it made monsters drop permafood randomly.

I liked it a lot, though it was noticeably different in that you were always engorged rather than just not hungry. So it was very rare to run out of food during a fight, even when you berserk and cast big spells and whatnot. To me this was fine but I think it wasn't adopted because the devs decided that was worthwhile as a check on stuff like berserk - now you have to choose to go engorged to prepare for big fights.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Removing brown chunks was probably the best quality-of-life change ever made.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

Care to throw out some examples? Maybe it can change and everyone can become consistent then!
I was gonna post this but then I thought of some. They could have higher starting skills, and/or stats. Starting potions are cool. (Do fighters still get a starting might potion? One time I only won because of the starting might potion.) Instead of a better base weapon, it could be branded, though that sounds pretty broken.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

How... how did you blink around as an Antman??
He's an AK - Lugonu still lets you blink around a bit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A more expensive one-and-done shop would be a cool mechanic. Maybe like, teleports you to a 1-tile-1-shop bazaar for 5 turns so it's an escape and a shop.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Fixedart request: The yellow robe of Texas

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Those wands are kind of insane. It's easy to compensate on a finer grained basis with the consumable versions, do characters really need the force multiplier of what is effectively like, a random 15-stack of haste potions?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That turns charms into permanent buffs for every not-trog melee character who doesn't otherwise use MP. I think it should be the opposite, spell heavy characters should benefit the most, while with this, it's the opposite.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

If that is the case, then I am the best winner; I submit as evidence the only time that we had tournament points riding on a Sprint I was the first finisher.

The top 3 were all Spriggans. And I think all three of us were Enchanters too. Ideal! :v:
Was qazlal in the game? He destroys sprint imo, I'm talking straight invo first.

Edit: lol autocorrect invo into invoice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 20, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I would not have bet on reapers killing more folks than ice fiends, is that a rarity thing? I want chance of death given a monster type damaging you during the fight so we can normalize for spawn frequency.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Is TSO really stronger in extended than, say, makhleb or zin, assuming you've found a decent holy wrath weapon of some sort? It's commonly expressed but I don't really get it. Is rN+ really that hard to come by? Would changing it from three pips to one or two be enough to push other gods over the edge? I don't really play extended and can't speak from experience, but I don't see the appeal of TSO once you have the one-time gift.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Carcer posted:

It does remove tools that would greatly enhance a new players ability to progress in the game, which translates into learning new things.

New players are often still learning to use the tools they have, frequently dying with an inventory full of life saving consumables. I doubt very many new players are using all of their teleport scrolls or haste potions. Heal wounds is probably the exception, using that when other consumables are better is probably a big source of new player deaths. Finding a healing wand probably only delays that lesson.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

World Famous W posted:

TSO is an amazing god for extended and my go to for melee charters that can take 'em. It's not the rN+ that makes them useful (though if resists have been poor it doesn't hurt) and not so much the making a holy weapon but the Cleansing Flame, Allies, and HP/MP healing on evil kills. Seeing as pretty much all of extended is demon or undead your angel buddies and holy fire will destroy pretty much anything you come against all the while staying in tip top shape with each abomination slain.

Except for Holy Pan/Zigs. Then you will die to smiting.

I guess I see makhleb as doing those things but better, especially for a melee character who isn't so mp dependent but can really use the extra hp.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Solution: Allow stone free sandblast as long as there are no stones in the dungeon at all.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Replace malmutate with AF_MUTATE, which I just made up, and only has a chance to mutate if it actually does damage. This makes it more like item destruction.

Malmutate is fine in the 3 rune game though, I wouldn't change it there. I didn't even wear rMut when I had the option unless I hadn't found faith or was using a god that didn't benefit from faith.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Darox posted:

Malmut is fine in three rune games because it never appears there. In fact sources of malmut were deliberately removed from the earlier parts of the game in the past, see pulsating lumps.

Unless you go looking for it in slime the only places where malmut can appear in a three rune game is orbs of fire and rare cases like neq demon summons or shining eye shape shifters.
Right, part of why it works is because it is rare. Rare monsters that change up your tactics are fun. Things that can permanently harm your character feel really bad to get, but cause a level of tension that I kinda feel is lacking since new corrosion, new draining and item destruction removal. (Those were all good changes, I just think there should be some things that are threatening in a way that pressing 5 can't fix.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think you should at least try 0.13 for no nausea, gargoyles, and a bunch of other stuff.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That's it, I'm quitting crawl:

quote:

Monster white draconian breath can now be resisted by AC.

But seriously, about time, that always was a very weird exception.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Well you kinda have to talk about delay then also, slaying on a faster thing is worth more. At low skill, a fast weapon with a bunch of slaying is going to be stronger than a higher base damage but really slow weapon. For an extreme example, the dark maul (ehehehe) is not the be-all, end-all mace.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Scale its damage with HP missing instead of HP. So it still gets up to max when you get 271 hp....and 1 health.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Average Bear posted:

Lol yeah it gets so monotonous at times I o-tab myself into all sorts of stupid situations and then I'm stuck against a tough enemy with like 15 health left. Gonna take a break so I can focus on a good run.

Drops really have been poo poo which is why I figured Oka could get me some good stuff before switching him out.

I dunno if they ever changed the defaults, but do yourself a favor and set autofight_stop to, say, 60%. If something can get you to half health, it can kill you and that means it's time to stop hitting tab.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

tote up a bags posted:

Welcome, to team Crawl Is Too Easy. You MAY NOT join this team if you are good at Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup for the windows PC.

I also reserve the right to change the teamname at any time if I think of a funnier one / steal a better one from someone

code:
#TEAMCAPTAIN Stoats
1. Tote Up A Bags (Stoats)
2. SAJeffrey

I could get in on this.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I'm not sure I ever understood the value of the bots. There could have been a separate channel for them and it'd have be fine, but did anyone ever chat in there without just muting them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm guessing this has been discussed but..

That is a monster, monster nerf to to character power. :getin:

It's sorta weird that those existed. If they wanted the player to find 20 uses of heal wounds on the ground, they could have made stacks of 20 heal wounds potions.

• Locked thread