Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Poison Mushroom posted:

code:
For Those About To Splat

1. PoisonMushroom
2. Tollymain
3. GreyjoyBastard(?)
4. Pinechild(? Conditional?)

#TEAMCAPTAIN PoisonMushroom
Our terrible team is still accepting terrible players.

maybe in .19 thread i'll be accepted (DevlanMud)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

code:
For Those About To Splat

1. PoisonMushroom
2. Tollymain
3. GreyjoyBastard(?)
4. Pinechild(? Conditional?)
5. DevlanMud
6. uglyjohn

#TEAMCAPTAIN PoisonMushroom
That's what I get for just C/Ping my post from the old thread.

Aww yis, hope to live up to the disappointment.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

code:
2272643 DevlanMud the Conqueror (level 25, 187/187 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Fighter on Nov 8, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Ru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Nov 9, 2016!

The game lasted 06:53:29 (78333 turns).

DevlanMud the Conqueror (Gargoyle Fighter)         Turns: 78333, Time: 06:53:29

Health: 187/187    AC: 58    Str: 23      XL:     25
Magic:  40/40      EV: 22    Int: 12 (14) God:    Ru [******]
Gold:   7316       SH: 18    Dex: 19      Spells: 9 memorised, 21 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    b - +8 sacred scourge (holy)
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    e - +8 fire dragon scales
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    C - +3 shield {reflect}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    t - +2 helmet
rElec  +          Reflect  +    h - +4 dragonskin cloak
rCorr  .          Harm     .    K - +2 pair of gloves of Dithmenos's Fury {rElec rF+ rC+}
MR     +++..                    F - +2 pair of boots
Stlth  ..........               m - amulet "Isolef" {MR++ Regen+ Dex+9}
                                u - ring of Zutod {+Fly rC+++ AC+1 Str+2 Stlth-}
                                S - ring of Anykk {+Fly rF+ rN++ Str-5 SInv}

@: repel missiles
A: big wings, mutation resistance 1, negative energy resistance 1, electricity
resistance, unbreathing, petrification resistance, rot immunity, no stealth,
inability to use devices, hated by all, reduced AC 1, inexperienced 1, AC +19
a: Fly, Draw Out Power, Power Leap, Apocalypse, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, silver, abyssal
morgue

I feel like I probably could have done some Pan, but since my last gargoyle died like a chump in extended, and it's the tourney and all, I figured I'd just nab the orb and settle for at least one win this tourney.

As an aside, Ru is the best. All hail Ru.

Sorry for letting you all down, team FOR THOSE ABOUT TO SPLAT.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

What's the autoexplore delay? I was just coming in here to ask about that after I watched it on someone else's game.

code:
# For autoexploring differently. Totally optional if it's not your thing.
show_travel_trail       = false
travel_delay = -1
explore_delay = 2

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Please change the 27 Bows title to something less dumb than "Merry (species)" thanks.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Wolfechu posted:

I think this is the first game I've had where I've encountered packs of Shard Shrikes, even though I know they've been in for ages.

Was the first game. loving things.

Harpy skeletons always scare the crap outta me because they look like the shard shrike model, kind of.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Can't say I was expecting the dev team to bring back ogre mages!!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I love how genderless pronouns becomes a "mysterious third gender" to mister Beogh offends my christian sensibilities pearl-clutcher over there.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

New mutation potion roulette is cool and good, although it has pretty removed any incentive I had not to immediately quaff-ID any potions I come across.

Assigning weighting to malmutate so that teleportits and zerkitis come up less often, or add some more negative mutations like -1 AC or resist or other trivial bullshit (like 80% of positive mutations), and giving Neqoxecs an excuse to malmutate less often and I'd be fairly satisfied with the mutation system and malmutate.

Definitely a step in the right direction, which is refreshing. It feels far less dangerous to actually eat the purple now, which is a good thing, since on most characters I have had previously with a good start I avoid mutations like crazy because of how horrible the bad ones can be.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Have the stealth meter show a bunch of minuses (-) to show just how unstealthy you are, tia.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Thalamas posted:

Just lost my second character in a row to a Lich casting LCS and getting big damage. :(

I'm really enjoying the new mutation system after playing through a few games.

Silence Lichs and Ancient Lichs and laugh as all they can do is touch you for measly damage.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I mean, your reward is getting Jivya to move all your stats from str to dex and then you die because you don't damage anything fast enough, so I wouldn't get too worked up about her being hard to get to?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

The increased Hopkins LoS and improved aptitudes and stats make them a lot more interesting to play, the LoS change in particular makes wide open floors really tricky. They're much more interesting to play than their original incarnation.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

So if you have the inhibited regeneration mutation, you don't regen HP if there's say, a submerged swamp worm SOMEWHERE in the swamp in your LoS range, which let me tell you is making clearing the swamp real lovely for me as a Hopkins. Dunno if that's intended or not, really.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Antennae 1 & 2 are kinda lame, but at least 3 gives you sInv so if you pretend you're wearing a +0 hat of sInv it's like you never gave up the slot at all!

Also, the +1 LoS on Hopkins is super noticeable with things like Tormentors, Hellfire, curse toes (argh those mushrooms) on the screen. Had probably my diciest ascent with one yesterday (only two !haste all game didn't help any).

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Welp, actually got a steak win for once, first win was a boring BaBe, second win a slightly less boring MiHu^O (but still pretty boring). I feel accomplished.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Haifisch posted:

This was a very good D3. 10/10 would immediately go for the downstair again.

I was speccing this and was like, whoa that's one hell of a D:3

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

code:
devlanmud the Chopper (level 5, 0/45 HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Gladiator on Mar 7, 2017.
             Slain by a hippogriff (7 damage)
             ... on level 3 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:04:09 (1739 turns).
Welp.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

tote up a bags posted:

I had 6 str when i died

Jivya is a trap

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Remember that melee having any decision-making beyond O or Tab goes against ~design goals~

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

so why haven't the devs added weapons other than giant clubs and giant spiked clubs to the ogre (enemy) weapon generations tables if they aren't supposed to use those? :colbert:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Can Of Worms posted:

Enemy ogres can spawn with polearms. :ssh:

Can't play as an ogre mage any more can ya??

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Yeah ogres being able to cast again is cool and good, ogres learning maces slower than polearms and staves because of fuckin' arbitrary "a bloo bloo why does one of two races able to use this weapon always use this weapon???" is goddamned stupid, and laughably so IMO.

I'd be perfectly happy with a 0 apt in maces, right alongside polearms and staves, the +3 was kinda ridiculous, but -1 is just lovely game design on par with mummies and crap. If you're gonna make ogres into mummies just remove 'em and I'll play a maces troll instead.

e: I wont actually play trolls

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

You finish putting on the scarf "Jece" {rC+}.

:downs:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Araganzar posted:

I tried this class out. You start with a robe, no weapon, and no other armor slots which means you are more likely than any other start to die on D1.

I don't understand the point of bragging about how many "skill points" monks get when 4 go into Dodging which is not worth a lot early and another 4 of them go into frigging Stealth. Maybe if 4 went into Armor. Even Invo would be less often wasted and more thematic.

So you basically get a couple extra Fighting, and in return you start in a paper sack with nothing that can kill anything. I like the idea thematically but it's like some buff dude heard a noise and went out in the middle of the night in his bathrobe and fell into a sinkhole into the dungeon. I bet even then he'd have grabbed a softball bat or a golf club or something.

Dev has the audacity to call this a "buff" because within 30 turns "you can pick up any weapon". Yes and you enjoy it until you die on D2 to an adder or gnoll. And lack of weapon diversity in early D is likely to limit your weapon choices.

It's not a bad choice for stabbers as you will find a dagger and a short blade early, and likely an ego one. Also not bad if you don't mind splatting 4 or 5 guys getting one to temple for that sweet piety bonus.

In summation I guess my proposal is Mo should start with a flashlight and a golf club.

This was my experience with the new Mo, lots of splats to trivial poo poo early because 4 dodging and 4 fighting with no weapon has a hard time against an unarmed freakin' goblin.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Lernean Hydra is two tiles tall and too big for nets :I

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Trunko posted:

Why does cool things like Wall jump and spin kicks or whatsver have to be connected to a particular diety?? Why not let melee characters have access to that kind of stuff normally

Goes against design goal of melee=tab

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Make wand grenade power scale with the amount of charges remaining, problem solved. Unless wand stacking happens.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

15 runes lol

Honestly I just wanted to post that CPA that I got, but I figured I'd wait til I ascended because if I did prematurely I'd splat. So I 15 rune'd and ascended, and now I can show off the most ridiculous goddamned floorgod drop ever:

R - +20 crystal plate armour of Goischirch {MR+ Dex+2 Slay+2}

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Araganzar posted:

Wow I came in here to brag about +12 executioner's axe of Exhibitionism {distort, rPois rC+ Str+2 Stlth+}, but that is insane.

All of that and your best weapon was a +9 vorpal great mace?

I had a couple unexciting randart great maces, used a +9 holy wrath one for pan/hells, and had undeadhunter for crypt and tomb. I switched to the vorpal for Zot since it didn't really matter at that point, when you have 84 AC and good resists and a bunch of support spells online.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

whoever comes up with names for trunk species should be shot to the moon in a cannon

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Man I'm sure removing stairs from Tomb will totally lead to reform in that branch just like the removal of rMut led to Malmutate reform!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Remove Zin'a one-time removal and put random mutation removal on a gift/piety timer in my opinion.

E: replace his mutation resistance with polymorph immunity or something if you want, too.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 15, 2017

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

gotta put a stop to the oriental and tolkien cultural appropriation

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

On a more lighthearted note, the true prize of a trove full of axes:

p - the +11 executioner's axe of Cuck {antimagic, *Drain rElec rC- MR+++}

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'm gonna believe that changing tomb stairs to trap doors will lead to "more meaningful tomb changes" as soon as removing rMut leads to the promised "more meaningful malmutate changes."

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Ghosts were in Tolkien, plz delete

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Holy moley is new Tomb awful. Instead of stairdancing your only choice is to prime a teleport when going down to T:2 and T:3 and hope you land in a relatively unoccupied area before you get the poo poo murdered out of you by dozens of rear end in a top hat mummies.

I've got my Golden Rune for the tourney and I'm never going back there again, so uh, job well done I guess??

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

the frogman and dogman is good, the elf is evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Serephina posted:

I've got a good non-rhetorical question: Why aren't we exploring new races without extreme gimmicks, but rather interesting apt distributions with minimal slot restrictions? Stuff like merfolk are the classic good example this: they have a wicked weapon apt, but no str and crap armour, making them the prototypical gadiator-ice-hyrbid. It'd be fun to try, I dno, necro-armour ("death knight") guy who doesn't have to deal with DD's crap.

Because the devs remove those.

• Locked thread