Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

a: Pitcher WAR is a bad stat for all pitchers, not just relievers.

What makes you say this? Is this just fWAR or all types of pitcher WAR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It also punishes guys who outperform their fip because of odd skills that allow for weak fly ball contact, like peak Matt Cain, Dickey or Marco Estrada the last couple years.

Well, fWAR specifically does that, which is why I would personally agree that it's a stupid stat. But I think that RA9-WAR is a strong indicator of a pitcher's value over the course of a season, if not necessarily a predictor of his future performance.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Bartolo Colon's physical will be performed by Dr Pepper

Pepsi products are unwelcome in Atlanta.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Id rather still have him. I think we could have gotten another reliever and won the WS and still kept that guy. We're going to hate that move for the next 20 years.

No one with any sense will ever think twice about that move ever again.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bad boy in the boy band posted:

You guys are right, Torres would have been blocked and our IF is locked up for several years. I was in a pissy mood (work SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS this time of year). It just sucks that it was for a rental, the Yankees made out like goddamn bandits, and they're going to get all those guys essentially for free because Chapman is going back there anyway.

The goal of a major league baseball team is to win the World Series not to "win" trades and its not like the Cubs aren't totally stacked with young talent on affordable contracts with years and years of team control.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Who is this unnamed other dominant reliever the Cubs could have gotten for a pittance?

Mark Melancon :smugdog:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Still a rental, cost Washington a guy already in the MLB bullpen and an A-ball prospect.

Haha I know I was just being a jerk. If anything it's another argument for not putting too much stock in winning trades.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well good news, the only contending teams that need centerfielders are the Cubs and Cardinals so you're still gonna see a ton of him!

The Nats need a centerfielder :(

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

tadashi posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't keep Espinosa and let the outfield be Cutch-Turner-Harper and fire Werth into the sun. They're paying him 20 million a year to rehab and suck at baseball. Just eat the last year and win games.

Or, release Espinosa and Werth and sign someone who doesn't suck at LF/RF or shortstop?

Because Espinosa's offensive ceiling is like an ~80 wRC+ and Werth put up a 5 win season as recently as 2014.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

tadashi posted:

Yeah, but he'll be 38 years old next year and 3 seasons removed from that kind of production. Also, he produced 1.9 bWAR in his first 2 years with the Nats, so his good years have become the outliers.

All very true. I would argue that he's been productive when healthy, but you can't assume health when talking about a 38 year-old outfielder. Even so, I'd still rather bet on Werth recapturing a little bit of OBP magic than count on Danny Espinosa to contribute offensively.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

CubsWoo posted:

At this point if the Nats are in on Davis I'd almost prefer they get fleeced in whatever panic buy mode they're in since they can't seem to land a single target this winter

This happened last year as well and it resulted in the Nats signing Murphy instead of Zobrist and avoiding the Heyward albatross soooooo I'm remaining optimistic for now. I would be surprised if they started overpaying in a panic move since their inability to land trade targets so far seems to stem from them being unwilling to give up their top prospects.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

will_colorado posted:

not upset about Desmond as some appear to be.

Average of 14m/year not bad for a FA. At least they didn't overpay for someone like Trumbo.

Sucks they have to give up pick 11. I guess this means that Blackmon is looking to be moved.

Rosenthal reporting that the intent is to put him at first and then in the outfield sometimes. If that really is the plan I don't get it at all. Part of the motivation of signing someone like Desmond is his defensive versatility. Why stick him at first?

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Blech

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

They completely sold the farm and didn't recognize why they got rejected for Sale, Mike Rizzo needs to get shitcanned asap

It's a bad trade but lol

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Nats have an excellent rotation already and didn't have a legitimate center fielder.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Your Taint posted:

But they were going to go in on Sale.

Yes, I know, Sale is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best pitcher in the game (Kershaw #1 obvs) and Quintana isn't at that level but he's still a very good pitcher who would have helped that rotation out. If you're going to give up that price, you better get more than friggin Adam Eaton.

Oh for sure it's an overpay. But to suggest that those same prospects would have been better spent on Quintana is misguided imo, since the team didn't neeeeeed pitching but probably just wanted to take a shot at the super rotation with Sale.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

re: Eaton Trade

https://twitter.com/barrysvrluga/status/806635449737318400

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

They still don't

Better than McCutchen defensively :razz:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Nationals should have just paid Fowler that money and kept their prospects.

Yeah but then they would have had an offensively talented but defensively challenged centerfielder instead of ... :smith:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Goodbye Danny. You were super frustrating to watch but you did cool stuff sometimes and I will miss your rad facial hair.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

ArtVandelay posted:

Are these two pitchers we got anything special or did we just throw Danny into the sun for nothing?

I mean, you're not gonna get anyone's top prospects for a utility infielder. From what I read poking around Fangraphs' scouting reports on them for <5 minutes they look like a couple lotto tickets.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Tanner Roark was millionth-round pick acquired in a trade for the last 10 games of Christian Guzman's career. Anything is possible.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Sydin posted:

Either the Marlins were bluffing or Jansen really wanted to stay in California, since IIRC the rumor was the Marlins offered him $100m.

Also :lol: Nationals.

Yes, the Nationals did not commit $16 mil/year to a relief pitcher. It is they who are owned.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Cleveland Midges

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Cheers for the Nats. There aren't very many Nats fans here and Max Scherzer and Bryce Harper are cool. Well, bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Nats apparently signed Adam Lind. This would seem to confirm that they intend to platoon Zimmerman at 1st unless he has a serious bounce back this year. I suppose Lind might also spell Werth in left from time to time too if his outfield defense is anything better than horrid.

• Locked thread