Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rinkles posted:

Take me to Andromeda

Let the Reapers have this planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Never underestimate the ability of a game developer to make inexplicably terrible decisions. Like, I don't think they will put Reapers in as a major plot point but I won't be surprised if they do.

Gotta be some Reaper-tech in the ship somewhere for that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I like how people were wondering who would sign up to go to Andromeda.

Me. I would. Right now. Get me as far away from this planet as possible.

That and the thrill of adventure/science would appeal to people even on planets not being consumed by waves of racist old people raging at the world daring to change.

I still like the "secret last ditch Reaper escape pod disguised as exploration mission" idea best, myself. Like this:

marshmallow creep posted:

I suspect the founders of the Initiative suspected or knew about Reapers but kept it from the public, lest they make everyone who doubted think the whole thing was crazy talk. So it might come up in a conversation or a codex entry.

Ryder: "You knew? You knew about the Reapers?"
Clancy Brown: "I knew Shepard from my N7 days. I trusted him. Garson trusted him too."
Ryder: "But we could have stayed! We could have fought!"
Clancy Brown: "And we would have lost! This was the only real choice."
Ryder: "Then why not tell everyone the truth?"
Clancy Brown: "You just said it yourself. They would have stayed to fight. And every sapient species in the galaxy would have been lost forever."

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 9, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Trast posted:

They changed writers so it didn't really feel quite like the same Geth.

Oh I know. Start up a game and I spawn to three people shooting me point blank with sabers. TA-CHUNK TA-CHUNK TA-CHUNK!

They really did not seem to remember how the Geth were supposed to work beyond bog standard, Pinocchio robots.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Trast posted:

Oh man how could I forget the phantoms? They were so damned annoying.

They're no Banshees, but they are much more obnoxious than most enemies.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

But the Mass Effect galaxy isn't. There are inactive Relays, whole sections of space that can't be reached because there's no way to get there.

But let's just do a massive construction project and fire it off on a six-hundred year journey, because...

EA is just trying to keep Mass Effect alive and as far away from The End as possible. I am not convinced that setting this in a galaxy completely removed from the normal one, which will either have nothing in common or strange palette swaps of things we already know, is the best idea. However, I'm also not sure what idea they could go with given the sheer insanity of ME3's ending and the response to it.

You said it yourself: the end was so extreme that the only way to avoid having to deal with it is basically a soft reset by getting as far out as possible. Exploration is an ice excuse to do that and the time skip using characters that wouldn't know about the Reapers would be a good way to avoid having to ever touch those endings again. Short of full retcons, there isn't much other way to keep the setting going in the timeframes they established.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Plot twist, the main villain of a Andromeda is actually milky way humanity turned into something completely unrecognizable because using an omnidirectional energy pulse to modify everyone's DNA turned out to be an incredibly bad idea.

I would love to see our new technoroganic overlords as the villains they should be.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

Ending was bad, even after they "fixed" it

There really was no way to "fix" something as pretentious as that ending. If the story had a strong foundation, maybe, but it was shoddy from the offset since they just weren't prepared to end the series at the time thanks to poor planning.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

McGiggins posted:

I still prefer the ending the original writer was going for: The reapers are the good guys, you're the bad guys, organised organic civilisations utilising mass effect fields are hastening the entropic death of the universe by an appreciable amount (by machine standards). This is why the Reapers rebelled against their space-cuttlefish overlords and systematically cull the galaxy every now and then, as they respect a species right to have it's time in the sun and also be indexed, but also don't want their unlimited lifetimes cut down anymore than they have to be. Which is why they make new reapers out of the species they destroy, so the species they exterminate can continue to live on forever in some form, and not be forgotten.

TLDR; you a bad dude, space robots good, no two ways about it. Get over it nerds.

That wasn't great, but at least it was foreshadowed and made use of the setting's elements. Unlike the gibberish and magic we got. Anyway, let's get off the whole THE ENDS ARE BAD argument and get back to wildly speculating about this game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

I'd say the mark of any good villain is that they have motivations that they feel justify their actions. I think the Reapers as they exist have this too though.

What they have now is the flawed logic of a defective computer program that has them ordered to "preserve life" in the most needlessly sadistic and destructive manner possible. It also has their supposed monuments to said species in forms that encourage their enemies to destroy as many as possible for numerous reasons, meaning millions of years worth of harvests are undone in one large battle.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm sure part of this was cut development time, but I also think a fair chunk of it was simply consequence-bloat from the earlier two games. They were so committed to having your choices matter that nearly every single scene has a massive number permutations based on all the things your might or might not have done up to that point. Trying to arrange what must have been a titanic tangle of dialogue and scripting trees into something that would look even remotely consistent to the player across all of Shepard's potential realities was probably a design nightmare.

That's probably why they're saying that any future games will have all new protagonists are Androme like the Dragon Age games. It's got to be so much less hassle than taking one person through all games.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kurieg posted:

And the ending of Gurren Lagann is basically "Well of course we'll work to prevent the apocalypse now that you've loving explained it to us rather than force us to live in fear for our lives from an uncaring enemy designed to inflict maximum terror."

Somehow ancient forces seem to think that genocidal warfare is just more logical than trying to explain things.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

This is poorly explained by the plot but I think the implication is that since the Reapers didn't have direct access to the Citadel thanks to Shepard and those meddling kids, they couldn't shut down all galactic civilization outright, which gave the Council races some time to organize a defense.

Except that the Reapers were still hilariously powerful enough to invade every important planet simultaneously, but were somehow deterred by the Citadel fleets when their ultimate victory condition (and retconned boss) resided?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I'm still not sure why anyone talks about how great the heat mechanic was when everybody just slapped on frictionless materials X to fire their gun forever anyway. Not exactly brilliant gameplay, there.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I feel like Cerberus fits a lot better in this new narrative than in the grand plot of the reaper story. We're going to a new galaxy and meeting new civilizations, of course there's gonna be a "HUMANITY FIRST" element there and Cerberus fits perfectly

I'd say the opposite. In the Milky Way, there were resources to grab and power structures to subvert. Basically, prizes that would entice and rules to anger supremacists as well as places to hide them. Here, there isn't much of anything that could be taken since everyone is in the same boat, quite literally. Anyone not consumed by Trump-voter-esque blind hatred would have to admit that they need ever resource they have, bodies included, so trying anything that could lead to breaking the expedition team up would be a death sentence. That's not to mention that anyone that xenophobic would be unlikely to sign up for a centuries-long one-way trip to begin with.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

So basically we're up against gray humans in bone suits with spooky eyes? I'm pretty underwhelmed even for the obvious "soon-to-be-ally" race.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Trast posted:

I'm not sure exactly why Bioware is so hung up on everything attracting empathy. They even tried to make the Reapers empathize with their "saving the galaxy through culling" story. In a video game I'm not really concerned with why I should empathize with the giant space horror is trying to eat my family. No I don't care that there has been layoffs at his job he's a giant space horror trying to eat my family. There is no need for the game to shove some sort of emotional conflict into that situation. Here's the monster, here is your assault rifle, go to down dude.

I have no idea why they ever thought that attaching some "greater good" to the Reapers would make us forget that they are by far the most unnecessarily malicious entities in the entire series. It would not make me ignore that they have, in every appearance, seemed to revel in causing as much suffering as possible, even the explanation made a lick of sense. That's not adding depth, it's just a cheap cop out.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nevets posted:

Nobody knows, all the Andromeda colonists left before the Reapers showed up & they have no way of communicating with the Milky Way or going back there.

Wait, I thought the Normandy had a quantum entanglement communicator or some-such? Doesn't that mean that instantaneous communication over any distance technology exists already? Why wouldn't somebody alert the colony fleet that their home civilization is being destroyed and recall them? Surely the giant hub ship has got to have tons of weapons, they wouldn't send it into an alien galaxy without as much firepower as possible in case they found a hostile species.

The trip is one way and involves putting the crew into cryostasis for six hundred years. It launched some time before the invasion and is almost entirely automated. Even if they could call the ships back, it would take the better part of a year at minimum and get them little more than additional cannon fodder. Better to leave some hope for continuing the galaxy's species out there than let the Reapers have such total victory.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Eastbound Spider posted:

Will bioware finally put some butts/boobs on my spaceship? Will this be the good mass effect?

We already got a ship put into a butt/pair of giant metal boobs, so why not?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Jeza posted:

hey, you win some you lose some. would you rather you allowed some dodgy geezers to get their hands on reaper tech in the hopes of reverse engineering some useful poo poo that might help prevent the annihilation of all sentient life, or do you destroy the most valuable resource you have out of some kind of spiteful logic?

pretty sure people who choose to destroy it were just picking paragon options from a walkthrough or some poo poo because how unintuitive can you get?

See, all those potential benefits aren't going to the galaxy at large or even humanity. They are going to an organization of fanatics that have shown repeatedly disturbing disregard for human life as well as a highly manipulative streak. They are highly, highly unlikely to use this to benefit anyone aside from themselves. Given their track record for mad science and the Reapers' penchant for mind control traps, they were never going to successfully use it in any way. Blowing it to bits and squirreling away whatever data you can get from it has lesser benefits, but keeps both the extremists and Reapers from utilizing its resources.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

So basically the Normandy, but with fewer loading screens and a nice view? I'm good with this.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

9-Volt Assault posted:

I bet this means that ME:A will also be delayed.

Also, DA2 is a better game than Skyrim.

I hope so. After what happened with DAII and ME3, they should give the team all the time they need.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

Now I wonder if Those Across the Sea/The Executors are a reference to the Witcher...

My money's on foreshadowing future games, but it could just as easily amount to absolutely nothing knowing Bioware writers.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

womb with a view posted:

ME3 also suffered because you have a lot less control over Shepard compared to the other two. Like how the game crams Liara as your best friend and confidante down your throat even if you never talked to her before. Or how there's no option to have Shepard be optimistic about anything ever, just be either sad and maudlin or kind of edgy but mostly sad and maudlin. It made me like Vega because I think he's basically the only one who ever tries to get anyone pumped.

Also I was really confused about the beginning of the game because I didn't play Arrival on my first runthrough so I had no idea that anyone blew up a relay. I wondered if I was under house arrest because of the whole Cerberus thing, but then Anderson said I blew up a relay. Then I read the war assets and it said a different marine corps did it instead. I'm pretty sure the game continues to make references to Shepard blowing it up from there, though.

The game telling you that watching a poorly-rendered little boy be melodramatically blown up was the most traumatic thing to ever happen to Shepard through repeated, horrifically cliche dream sequences in a random gray forest was what really got me about the character writing. I thought they were some of the most pretentious garbage I had seen in the series until the ending came out and blew them away on that front.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

The Reapers could've been pretty much exactly the same as the Kohr-Ah: paranoid immortals who compulsively exterminate all other life forms before they can ever become a threat to them. The mass relay network and the Citadel remain traps to bring all the most advanced species together in one place so they can be Reaped most efficiently, and they appear in a cycle because they calculated exactly how long they can afford to wait (Reaping is hard work) or maybe they were just busy Reaping someplace else.

Milky Moor posted:

^^^ Or that.

Even as far back as ME1, you had Vigil stating that the Reapers were probably using technology and raw materials of the galaxy to improve themselves (Husks were a part of this process). Why biomass? Well, ME2 says they use it to reproduce and Harbinger's dialogue indicates it's some sort of spiritual ascendance (but even ME1 plants the seeds that the Reapers aren't purely technological). All in all, the fifty thousand year timeline seemed to be the sweet spot to get a new Reaper and new stuff of worth without risking too many casualties. That has to be, after all, an element of necessity to the Citadel stratagem.

They didn't really need to go any further than that.

They could have borrowed from the Shivans. They wipe out species when they reach a certain point so species below them on the evolutionary ladder get their chance to rule the stars for bit - destruction and preservation are the one and the same.

They certainly didn't need to try for some misunderstood saviors idea.

Exactly. You don't need to try to somehow justify your enemy as some misguided group, especially when you establish them to be as sadistic as the Reapers. It only serves to diminish them as you try to somehow cobble together something big enough to make their behavior seem like justified extremism despite how malicious and inefficient it really has been. Reproduction and harvesting with some paranoia would be perfectly fine motives without the need for some pretentious circular logic like we did end up with.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Can't polish a turd

No, but they can add little painted other turds in attempt to distract from the main one.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wish that mass effect ditched the reapers altogether and just let you play as space cop because you were the only dude bad enough to stop a guy like Saren. I mean hell, Saren using cloning technology to bribe the krogan to his side and start an interstellar war between the council and the Terminus systems is an awesome story prompt with no need to bring in the reapers at all.

I'd have been fine with that. Saren needed more development and a game just going around, stopping a takeover would be great. If they'd wanted, there could have been little hints of the Reapers as some greater danger, but don't have one reveal itself in the first game. Let us just think that Saren had some huge ship, but in the final moments, let the ship blast its way off and reveal the big twist that it was the true mastermind to go on as the antagonist of the sequel. That would have been a much better use of the premise and have a good point to build sequel stories onto.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 30, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe they would explain the actual "Reaping" as a food/fuel gathering event while they hibernate in deep space. They wake up every 50000 years, attack the developed species for biomass like Tyranids in 40K. They'd use the Citadel because the hunger leftover from their hibernation keeps them from operating at maximum efficiency, so speed is essential. So, with the Citadel plan failed, they need to dig into their energy reserves to reach the galaxy fast enough so they don't die of starvation. That would make their schizophrenic attacks in ME3 look like acts of desperation, as they're literally starving and throwing themselves at the species to keep from dying.

Being half-mad from starvation would explain a lot about the Reaper's sudden drop in IQ points and planning in ME3. The needed a brainwashed puppet to remind them that the big thing they really need is still around, but were just too drained to remember that using it would be an automatic win button, so they just dragged it around to some place filled with screaming snack foods.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I thought it was the perfect tie-in for ME3's level of plot.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The problem wasn't that mass effect 3 tried to be artsy or sophisticated or take a serious tone, it was that it failed miserably at it.

Unless you're Duchamp you don't get to call a urinal art, and you certainly don't get to take a big poo poo in it and complain that your audience doesn't understand you when they tell you it stinks.

Agreed, but seeing something dumb is okay since, unlike most of ME3, at least this part of the story was entertaining for the reasons they intended.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Trast posted:

Actually the ME2 Geth were pretty cool and good. The ME3 Geth didn't have much in common. But you're right about the rest of the stuff you mentioned.

The ME2 Geth were basically Legion and more disposable bodies to shoot. Still, so much better than ME3 and the Pinocchio story, just like EDI.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Have you considered that you just don't like traditional RPGs?

Have you considered that a crappy pseudo-RPG filling in systems with meaningless stats that mostly boiled down to "hold trigger longer until they die" with a bloated inventory might simply not be good?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Helping Morinth over Samara seems like one of the bigger pointlessly evil options in the series.

Renegade as a whole really lacks a coherent approach; sometimes it's ruthless, sometimes it's racist, sometimes it's just being a jerk, sometimes it's outright evil.

Occasionally it's "pay unto evil" which is what I think it probably should have stayed, but yeah it always was weird. Paragon was consistently the good guy and almost always the objectively better option. Either way, I'm glad to see the system go.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

They might go back to this approach for a 2017 release

:smugdon:

Cheeto Benito and his fantastic array of scum does make the prospect of a one-way trip to another galaxy far more appealing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Given how DA:I can work out for the mages it's possible Anders was too.

Given that only happens due to things he could not possibly have predicted, plunged the world into war, threw off some pre-existing attempts at reform, and very nearly allowed an ancient horror to enslave the world as a god, I'd say Anders was still extremely wrong.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 12, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

JawKnee posted:

Nah, you're good I think. But if Logain was executed, and you don't want to die you can also direct her to sleep with Alistair which is pretty :psyduck:

I think there's also a way that she ends up with just a normal kid?

If you have sex with her mid-way through her romance, but don't do the ritual, she still gets knocked up (she never shows or mentions this at all no matter how long the game takes), but with a normal kid. Well, as normal as possible given that he's almost certainly a mage.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I like the idea of having a permanent AI sidekick to talk to.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

DancingShade posted:

I need to stop focusing on how much ME3 ruined the franchise for me because mmo-alike grinding for collectibles aside, DA:I had some pretty good story missions and I thought the climax was suitably dramatic with a satisfying conclusion.

So based on EA taking notes from that ME:A will probably be ok. Probably. Hopefully.

And if not gently caress it, at least we'll know for sure.

That they're going billions of light years away from the galaxy just to avoid having to deal with ME3's terrible retcons and ending gives me some amount of hope. A smaller setting could really force them to play towards characters which has been where the writing usually works.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Humanity is the cloaca of the universe

That explains quite a bit, especially politics this year.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Drifter posted:

IN Synthesis the robot tells you that the Reaper "civilizations" within each reaper will be shared amongst the rest of the poeple in the Universe and I'm just thinking like, if there's anything left that's recognizably cognizant within those reapers then they must be living some I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream life in there, what with the literally evil poo poo the reapers have been doing for millions of years.

I don't think the rest of the Galaxy would appreciate a bunch of old civilizations/alien races screaming their digital voices raw from accumulated horror.

Apparently, the trauma of being kidnapped, watching zombies slaughter your people, and being agonizingly melted to merge with millions of strangers to form an undead civilization ending monster is just easy to wave off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked the system in ME1 because you could make other people's guns explode by sabotaging the heat sink. Playing with tech powers was fun in the first game, and Tech based enemies could actually be threatening by disabling your own guns.

ME1 Tech powers were too situational for my tastes. Sure, it's fun and all at times, but when you face more enemies that don't rely entirely on regular guns, your debuffs seem much less useful than a relatively straightforward attack.