Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Was Dragon Age 2 the first time you could have yourself a hot man-on-man romance in an AAA video game? I fee like there was some controversy around ME1 having a lesbian romance in it, but I don't remember if you can also get with Kaidan or whatever his name was.

Depends, was Bioware's own Jade Empire an AAA game? It had a male same sex romance, and came out before Mass Effect 1 or Dragon Age: Origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I will play BroRyder and hook up with Liam or Jaal or Drack anyway, so I don't mind Bioware being too incompetent to make a decent SisRyder.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

dazoner posted:

Combat looks great and the game looks amazing. Only question; Vanguard or Sentinel first playthrough?

Vanguard. Cora is the Vanguard on our team, and I don't like what I've seen of her.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

FWIW this is kind of why the romances in Bioware games have always come off as bizarre and downright skeezy to me at times. You're taking something like sexuality and gamifying it so that there are rulesets for how you can get each character to like you, what dialogue choices to make so that they'll eventually wanna gently caress, the apex of your achievement being when they do actually say let's gently caress, and so on. Most of the romanceable characters rarely fight you back, or challenge your opinions, or refuse to sleep with the PC even if they do something totally opposed to what that character believes in. It's just a weird gamey delivery system for players to privately get their rocks off with alien spacebabes instead of trying to imagine how a romantic relationship might actually function in a responsive way. This is confirmed by posters who are really into Bioware romances here historically being really well-adjusted and totally not at all weirdly obsessive about their space waifus.

Solas even breaks up your relationship on his own. And he has clear motivations/his own agenda apart from the player character.

New Ryders are looking good. After the gameplay trailer, I'm cautiously optimistic about Andromeda.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dexo posted:

Anyone who has played ME should already know this because it's crazy how different characters look when they are on the character creation screen rather than when you first load up the game

And the ME character creator was downright good compared to the Inquisition one in regards to the lighting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

evilmiera posted:

It is kinda funny, the thread rating keeps going down as the game nears but there really isn't much reason for it. I mean I am not half as excited for this as I was ME2 but it doesn't look awful?

Do we rate the game or the thread? Because the thread discussion itself has deserved a low score, while it's looking good for the game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jose Oquendo posted:

C'mon man. If this thread has taught me anything you can't really enjoy Mass Effect unless you create the perfect waifu, try to get your character to gently caress every character in the game, while trying to get all the other characters to gently caress each other as well.

But you had to not gently caress Iron Bull and Dorian in order to get them to gently caress :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bloody Pom posted:

i5-3470 3.2GHz, GTX660, 8GB RAM. Am I boned or can I at least run it on Medium or something?

I don't think they've released the specs yet?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

homullus posted:

My faint hope is that Andromeda is just setting the stage for all kinds of space opera adventures in the Mass Effect IP without needing to worry about "Earth" and "the fate of the galaxy" and "the same iconic protagonist every game." I would pay full price for a ME "imperial agent storyline" game even if it was literally the same with the serial numbers filed off.

This is the Dragon Age model, and I'm sure Bioware will use it after the ME3 ending fiasco. They obviously don't want to give up on the Mass Effect IP, and this is the best way forward for the series. It already sounds as if Andromeda is more like DA2 in scope, without world threatening evils to defeat.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Oblivious posted:

Mirandas core character concept is perfectly fine though the execution is wanting at times. She's a literal engineered ubermenschen who is smug as hell to mask the fact that, because she is a literal ubermenschen, she doesn't entirely feel like she's earned her achievements. It's a good scifi premise.

Stop mangling our beautiful German language. She's an Übermensch, or ubermensch if your strange keyboard can't do an umlaut. Übermenschen is the plural of Übermensch.

I wonder if they will also have expanded roles for non-party members. Like in Inquisition, where I liked Leliana and Josephine quite a lot. They were involved in the plot and developed as characters, even though you couldn't take them with you. Your sibling is probably intended for such a role, I just hope they have additional people like that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MadBimber posted:

...but with some SERIOUS thunder thighs. UGH

I think the thighs look fine, it's the arms that are just too thin.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I have no real opinion on most of the party members at present because we know basically fuckall about them.

I'm reminded of pre-Inquisition threads which was filled with people mocking what little pre-release info we had on Iron Bull and now those same people will defend him to the death as their bae.

I don't think that anybody was impressed by what they saw of Solas pre-release, yet he turned out to be a really good character. It simply makes no sense to judge the companions by what little we've seen yet.

Fangz posted:

I am happy there isn't too many companions.

Seconding this.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

I played a little of DAInq a few months ago before becoming utterly bored by it and uninstalling it (I think I had played it completely through near its original release). This time I had ... acquired the dlc and was utterly dumbfounded at all the mounts they had.

The mounts looked varied and some looked super cool but the entire practical gameplay utility of mounts was just so loving stupid. Teh fact that it would shut off party banter was one of the stupidest fuckign design decisions Bioware could have made. The fact that you couldn't collect poo poo from your mount was also retarded. Although, the fact that the game was an mmo based on collecting poo poo and then had a three second harvesting animation for each loving thing you tried to pick up was also goddamned ridiculous.

Yeah, the game has big flaws. Most of them are because of said original conception as an MMO, but even MMOs usually have mounts that are significantly faster than walking. I really don't understand what Bioware thought they were doing here. Locking out character banter, one of the best feature of Bioware games, is just the cherry on top.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have no doubt that everyone can bang the blue chick, but it seems awfully complicated to have sex in your spave suit (unless sex with Asari really consists of nothing more that "embrace eternity"). I suspect the scene has a more innocent origin.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/834921538931552257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

So it's not difficult to guess which sexual orientation will one get one option. And it will probably be a boring human crew member, not even a squadmate. No hunky Krogan for BroRyder :(

orange juche posted:

That asari could be a bro, have you ever seen a bro asari? How would you know what they look like?

Liara's father is definitely a bro.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I hope Ryder dies from an Andromeda STD, the screen fades to black, and then there's a text explaining that you should never engage in sex without protection.

This happens even if your Ryder doesn't bang anybody.

That's the ending.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deakul posted:

Christ, the Bioware community never fails.

Why is it so horrible to have a purely straight character?
It's loving weird and kind of creepy to have every character be bi, it's like they're all there purely to be hosed.

Everyone being bi is dumb, but it's usually the only way to have as many potential partners for gay characters as for straight characters.

Of course, if they are all bi then the romances will treat you as genderless like with Josephine, and that's poo poo, too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

The creepy thing about having a bunch of aliens aboard your ship who all wanna gently caress the PC is that the game ceases to be about writing characters with their own agency and personalities, and more about providing uniform sexual gratification to the player apart from any other considerations, because of course why wouldn't they want to sleep with you? It's offputting and weird.

But you could flirt with Cassandra and Dorian even as a woman, and they would reject you. It's not unrealistic that some of them would want to get together with you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For once, Bioware could actually tell better stories with their romance mechanic. How many humans are on these arks? 10k, 100k? If it's closer to 10k, then it would make sense if other people give you crap in case you enter a relationship where you can't have children naturally (Ryder with alien or with human of the same sex). There's the potential for interesting conflict and good storytelling.

It would work even better if the arks started after the Reapers conquered Earth, or maybe even after they took Thessia. If you believe you might be the last humans in the universe, the pressure to procreate would be even bigger. And it's less likely that they have an easy solution on board, like a million fertilized eggs that only need to be transplanted into willing women.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

epenthesis posted:

Having a plot excuse for heteronormativity doesn't make it any more fun for gay players.

I'm one of these gay players myself. It would have forced them to go deeper into detail for the gay/interspecies relationships imho, preventing basically genderless romances like Josephine's in DA:I.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Number Ten Cocks posted:

To "see what happens." It's hard to see what happens centuries from now in another galaxy. :colbert:

How much would you spend to send smarter, prettier, younger, healthier people to do it, is the question.

The biggest funders likely got a place for themselves or somebody close to them on the Arks, so they do get to see another galaxy. Money well spent!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
"Why would you invest money in an expedition sailing westwards around the globe to India? You would be an idiot to do something like that!"

Really, it's a perfectly plausible explanation for why the setting changes to Andromeda after they burned the Milky Way setting in ME3.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, I'm really vanilla and just want to see my Ryder dude get with Liam. Boy is fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seconded!

I just hope Andromeda has a better final boss fight than vanilla Inquisition, that was a bit disappointing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Playing pretty pricess dress-up in Inquisition was nice. Even though the crafting system invalidated any cool loot you could find, there were a lot of good looking armors you could create. I hope Andromeda has a lot more looks than the relatively limited selection of ME3.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Like sometimes I listen to the Bioware team talk and I'm reminded of how anime got creepier and creepier as a rule over the years due to chasing the dollars of hardcore basement dwelling otaku who drop 200 bucks at a time on figurines and what the gently caress ever, and now it's almost impossible to genuinely recommend a given show without heavy qualifiers about <insert creepy bullshit here> you have to ignore to actually get to the good parts.

I feel like I'm watching that happen in slow motion with Bioware.

Yuri on Ice is a really good anime.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^e: There's no guarantee that the same sex romance is with a squadmate. There are romances with crew members and apparently even with people not living on the Tempest. So maybe there are only three romances on the squad, Cora for the guys, Liam for the ladies, and PeeBee for both.

I actually don't care if the animation looks bad slowed down, I only care if I notice it while playing the game.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 28, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Miranda actually looked pretty good in her alternate appearance (the all black armor), I hope we get a similar sensible outfit for Peebee.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Go-toh and the other droid squadmate in KotoR (not HK-47) are very non-humanoid and yet worked as party members. So I don't see why Bioware would only use humanoid squadmates. The Elcor and Hanar probably won't work in the fast paced ME combat, but BW could probably design an Andromeda race with four legs that's quick on their feet and can join us as party members in Andromeda2.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think Cora is fine, at least what we have learned about her so far doesn't raise any red flags. Her biggest problem is that she's a vanguard, and I will play a vanguard Ryder in my first playthrough myself. So unless the story/mission demands it, she will likely be benched most of the time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

precision posted:

I did do a trilogy run where I remained celibate until Kaidan was comfortable coming out of the closet in 3. That was actually done very well if you go that route, though I suspect very few players played as DudeShep and turned down everyone because they were saving themselves for, of all people, Kaidan

I did that because I'm a gay dude who is sick of having his male characters romance the women. I had a blast playing ME1 and ME2 regardless, and was just pleasantly surprised that they introduced a gay male romance in ME3.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zzulu posted:

you can only choose one game to like and must afterwards hate the other

this is the way of gamerss

I like 7nquisition a lot, despite it's flaws. I tried playing Witcher 2, and was bored both with the game and with Geralt. People praise Witcher 3 all the time, but I just can't find any interest for it. That doesn't mean I hate the game though.

And yes, Jade Empire 2 would be amazing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Probably 80% of the weird animation stuff happens so fast that your average person would never know about it if not for people scouring for the Next Great Meme.

This.

I'm feeling the hype, the videos look very good (I've only skimmed the "first 13 minutes" video). I wonder if the "wake up scientists/soldiers/merchants" choice will play a similar role as the "chose Cullen/Leliana/Josephine in War Table missions" did for the Divine election in DA:I.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ah, you mean as in a kind of thing where the ending does poo poo like "Because Ryder woke up all the military people first he wound up causing a Fascist Military State in Andromeda that went on to conquer neighboring clusters, good job"? I could see that.

Yes, something like that, but on a smaller scale probably. They want to have more Andromeda games, and they have hopefully learned from Origins (and ME3 especially!) to tone down the end-of-game choices in terms of how much they change the setting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deakul posted:

I don't get the point of that galaxy map screenshot, they were already marked why do they need to be pointed out with numbers?
Is it the... order in which we'll be visiting them?

It's definitely to count them. 37 systems are visible. It's still possible that more systems will be unlocked later in the story, like it happened in ME2 and ME3 if I recall correctly.

How many systems could we visit in ME2 and ME3?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Alan Is More Upset posted:

This is going to be super distracting. Even more so since they've seemed to ease up on the dialog face cam position. We're going to have a whole lot of baby body Ryder in our futures.

He looks fine in the videos though?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What kind of planet is the real life Earth? Water world? Ocean world? (What's the difference between a water world and an ocean world anyway?) Single-biome planets are stupid, and I wish sci-fi writers would stop including them. Except if they are truly exceptional, like how Arrakis exists in a setting where most other inhabited planets are Earth-like.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So they had a "real-time" scan of their Golden Worlds from the rigged Mass Relay Geth observatory? And in the 600 years it took them to get there, they became these hosed up planets with the black stuff on them/floating around them?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

Other games besides Bioware have handled romances in a mature, well-written way that kind of makes theirs look pretty creepy, in relief.

Which other games do you have in mind?

Honest question. I'm thinking about it, but non-Bioware games with romances I played were Elder Scrolls games (can those things even be called romances?), Final Fantasy games (FFIV was okay, FFVII cringeworthy, FFX acceptable, and let's not speak about any of the FFXIII games), Fire Emblem games (park characters next to each other to level up their romances, terrible), and a few Obsidian games that were pretty good (KotoR 2, Mask of the Betrayer), but not because of their romances.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fridge corn posted:

So this game is literally scifi DA:I? 🤔

If the new Mako is at least much faster than the bullshit Inquisition mounts it will all be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Lot's of salty people itt whose crushes picked good looking shorter guys over their ugly tall frames.