Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

The Trump transition team would not comment on whether the candidate intended to follow through on his campaign pledge to appoint a special prosecutor and jail Hillary Clinton over her use of a private email server while Secretary of State. A source close to Trump, who requested anonymity to speak freely, said, "We are going to see what the new Attorney General recommends. Mr. Trump will follow their recommendation."

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/796214743962972160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gail Wynand posted:

Yeah right, working class MI/WI/PA voters would vote for a nebbishy ex hippie Jewish dude from Brooklyn. Have you ever been to these places? I grew up in one of them. The antisemitism runs just as deep as the racism. If anything it's more acceptable in professional circles. I've heard educated white people say poo poo about Jews that they would never say openly about any other ethnic group including blacks.

It's not offensive if you couch it in a positive stereotype. I've heard professional people of all ages say insane things about Jews and Asians and not think twice about it because they follow it up with a positive sounding conclusion. "Those Jews are greedy, but it makes them very smart about their money and they educate themselves constantly to keep ahead."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

List of things that Trump can do through executive actions that he has confirmed he will do since he won the election:

- Withdraw from Paris Climate Accords.
- Lift the ban on "enhanced interrogation" by the CIA and military.
- Nominate a new Supreme Court Justice
- Appoint a new FCC chair and develop new net neutrality rules not based on Title II
- Direct the new FCC chair to investigation libel liability under current law for news networks on public airwaves
- Direct the EPA to no longer enforce mercury and coal ash rules established under the "Clean Power Plan"
- Repeal the executive order requiring Federal Agency Heads and Regulators to divest themselves of any business interests or ownership from industries under their jurisdiction
- Reinstate the international "gag rule" for abortion and contraception.
- Direct the Justice Department to conduct an investigation into in-person voter fraud.
- Direct the Department of Agriculture to audit the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Nominate Department Heads for all Executive Cabinet Level Appointments
- Withdraw from the "Big 6" group of participants in the Iran Nuclear deal
- Freeze Iranian financial assets in American banking institutions
- Direct Immigration and Customs Enforcement to review the e-verify system and increase random investigations of businesses suspected of using undocumented immigrants
- Direct the Department of Health and Human Services to allow insurers greater flexibility in plan options by altering Required Minimum Benefit (RMB) floors and mandates to provide contraception coverage to all plan participants with no co-pays.

List of things that Trump needs congress to do that he has confirmed he intends to do in his first 100 days since he won the election:

- Confirm his Supreme Court nominee.
- Lower the top federal income tax bracket to 25%
- Eliminate the capital gains tax on the first $500,000 of income. Set the rate to 10% for all income after.
- Repeal Obamacare
- Block grant Medicaid funds to states
- Implement work requirements for SNAP recipients
- Allow interstate purchase of health insurance plans
- Reinstate sanctions on Iran's exports of petroleum
- Fund $1 Trillion in Infrastructure Spending through $120 billion in tax incentives
- Authorize spending for and construction of a border wall spanning the entire US-Mexico border

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 10, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

And here is the official campaign document detailing Day One executive actions:

quote:

What follows is my 100-day action plan to Make America Great Again. It is a contract between myself and the American voter — and begins with restoring honesty, accountability and change to Washington

Therefore, on the first day of my term of office, my administration will immediately pursue the following six measures to clean up the corruption and special interest collusion in Washington, DC:

* FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;

* SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);

* THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;

* FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;

* FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;

* SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.

On the same day, I will begin taking the following 7 actions to protect American workers:

* FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205

* SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

* THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator

* FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately

* FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars' worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.

* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward

* SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America's water and environmental infrastructure

Additionally, on the first day, I will take the following five actions to restore security and the constitutional rule of law:

* FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama

* SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

* THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities

* FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back

* FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.

And the official Congress list:

quote:

Next, I will work with Congress to introduce the following broader legislative measures and fight for their passage within the first 100 days of my Administration:

Middle Class Tax Relief And Simplification Act.

An economic plan designed to grow the economy 4% per year and create at least 25 million new jobs through massive tax reduction and simplification, in combination with trade reform, regulatory relief, and lifting the restrictions on American energy. The largest tax reductions are for the middle class. A middle-class family with 2 children will get a 35% tax cut. The current number of brackets will be reduced from 7 to 3, and tax forms will likewise be greatly simplified. The business rate will be lowered from 35 to 15 percent, and the trillions of dollars of American corporate money overseas can now be brought back at a 10 percent rate.

End The Offshoring Act.

Establishes tariffs to discourage companies from laying off their workers in order to relocate in other countries and ship their products back to the U.S. tax-free.

American Energy & Infrastructure Act.

Leverages public-private partnerships, and private investments through tax incentives, to spur $1 trillion in infrastructure investment over 10 years. It is revenue neutral.

School Choice And Education Opportunity Act.

Redirects education dollars to give parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Ends common core, brings education supervision to local communities. It expands vocational and technical education, and make 2 and 4-year college more affordable.

Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act.

Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds. Reforms will also include cutting the red tape at the FDA: there are over 4,000 drugs awaiting approval, and we especially want to speed the approval of life-saving medications.

Affordable Childcare and Eldercare Act.

Allows Americans to deduct childcare and elder care from their taxes, incentivizes employers to provide on-side childcare services, and creates tax-free Dependent Care Savings Accounts for both young and elderly dependents, with matching contributions for low-income families.

End Illegal Immigration Act

Fully-funds the construction of a wall on our southern border with the full understanding that the country Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such wall; establishes a 2-year mandatory minimum federal prison sentence for illegally re-entering the U.S. after a previous deportation, and a 5-year mandatory minimum for illegally re-entering for those with felony convictions, multiple misdemeanor convictions or two or more prior deportations; also reforms visa rules to enhance penalties for overstaying and to ensure open jobs are offered to American workers first.

Restoring Community Safety Act.

Reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars.

Restoring National Security Act.

Rebuilds our military by eliminating the defense sequester and expanding military investment; provides Veterans with the ability to receive public VA treatment or attend the private doctor of their choice; protects our vital infrastructure from cyber-attack; establishes new screening procedures for immigration to ensure those who are admitted to our country support our people and our values

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Herman Cain's proposal that all bills be no longer than three pages was pretty dumb but this one is definitely up there.

Hermain Cain's proposal was never official U.S. Government policy. This is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SunAndSpring posted:

I'd say numero uno on the "DRAIN ARE SWAMP" list is most likely not going to happen. I can't imagine that entrenched Republicans and most Democrats will support that poo poo, but then again everyone seems to enjoy bending the knee to Trump so gently caress if I can say that with any real certainty. I could see the other poo poo, especially the dumb "Trade 2 old regulations for one new regulation", getting through though.

The "PROTECT ARE WORKERS" list will likewise go through unmolested, with maybe some dumb gently caress Clintonites and Republicans trying to block the "Renegotiate NAFTA and stop the TPP" because they haven't learned a thing. Climate change acceleration and trade wars ho!

The "gently caress OBAMA" list will also go through, but this is probably where he'll hit some immediate issues. Senate Dems can probably filibuster the judge appointment and deporting people is loving expensive and the media will scrutinize the hell out of the whole thing.

The first quote box is all things that he can do 100% through executive action and requires no congressional input.

The second quote box is all the legislation he will introduce to congress, but can't do unilaterally.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SunAndSpring posted:

Well he certainly can't pass term limits without an amendment, and that poo poo has gotta run through the House and Senate.

As for the rest, shiiiiiit

It says "introduce a constitutional amendment" not implement them. He can do that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Deadulus posted:

Looks like the GOP is thinking about making Medicaid block granted. That will be the death of medicaid right?

Already confirmed that a bill to block grant Medicaid will be coming up in the first 100 days.

Currently Medicaid pays based on the number of people that qualify for it and pays for services that are determined by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid.

Block granting it would just give the states a chunk of money and let them decide what to cover. If lots more people need Medicaid in a given year, then the state has to either reduce benefits, raise eligibility thresholds to kick people off, or raise state taxes because they only get a fixed amount and not a per-patient amount.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, Trump's YUGE tax cut for "All Americans" doesn't count if you are a single parent, disabled, or if you are at a low enough income level to pay federal income taxes, but only in the lowest 10% bracket (which actually goes UP to 12% under Trump's tax cut plan:

quote:

NYU Law’s Lily Batchelder conservatively estimates that 25 million individuals and 15 million children would see their taxes go up under Trump’s plan. That's about 20 percent of households with minor children at home, and includes more than half of all single parents. The combination of an increased bottom rate, Trump's total elimination of personal exemptions for taxpayers and dependents, and his abolishing of "head of household" filing status, often used by single parents or single caretakers, leaves many people in the middle class worse off.

Batchelder provides several examples of families that would see their taxes go up under Trump’s plan. The biggest hikes number in the thousands of dollars and are concentrated among single parents:

A single parent with $75,000 in earnings, two children in school, and no child care costs (because the kids are in school) would pay $2,440 more.
A single parent with $50,000 in earnings, three children in school, and child care costs of less than $6,000 would pay $1,188 more.
A married couple with $50,000 in earnings, two kids in school, and no child care costs would pay $150 more because of the bottom bracket's increase from 10 to 12 percent.

The Tax Policy Center still finds that Trump would on average cut taxes for every income segment, though a minority of the middle class would face hikes. Ryan’s plan offers very modest cuts across the board in 2017 but by 2025 would start increasing them for upper-middle-class people in the 80th to 95th percentile. Given that it also raises the bottom rate and repeals personal exemptions — just like Trump’s plan — it’s quite likely that many families lower down will see tax hikes as well.

Investors and corporations, by contrast, would do extremely well under both Ryan and Trump’s plans. Ryan's plan would effectively decrease the top tax rate on capital gains and dividends from 23.8 percent to 16.5 percent, and on interest income from 43.4 percent to 16.5 percent, according to the Tax Policy Center.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Deadulus posted:

So depending on the state, this is really loving bad.

This is bad in every state. Even states with the healthiest populations and most generous policies can't control when there are huge influxes of new beneficiaries, like in 2008. They will all have a fixed budget.

Additionally, block granting means that additional Medicaid spending has to be approved in the budget every single year. Currently they just pay for whoever qualifies. It is designed to slowly wither the program away.

It also gives lovely states total freedom to be lovely, but even states that WANT to do right won't be able to.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Democrats can't actually obstruct anything with no branch of government. The worst they can do is what the Republicans did before and object to any suspension of standard order. That would make every vote take at least 3 days.

Other than that, they are totally powerless. The Republicans successfully stole a Supreme Court vacancy too, so the Dems can't even rely on the court as a hail mary.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fojar38 posted:

Why is everyone expecting the fillibuster to be nuked

McConnell already said they would do it. Scott Walker also says that Paul Ryan is on board with sending bills to the Senate, using budget reconciliation, and passing them to President Trump with a simple majority.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Grab a hold of yourself man. Embracing nihilism isn't the alright thing to do lol

Say what you want about the tenets of Aryzing dude, at least it's an ethos.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mcmagic posted:

How many of the Obama-Trump voters knew they were voting for the Ryan budget? lol

https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/797094439911034880

LOL He's right.

Justin Trudeau.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Donald Trump's Agenda of Economic Populism continues.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/trump-wants-to-let-wall-street-scam-customers-again.html

quote:

Trump Wants to Let Wall Street Scam Customers Again

Donald Trump ran as a populist enemy of the global financial elite. In other news, Anthony Scaramucci, a hedge-fund manager who has somehow secured a position as a key Trump economic adviser despite being a member of the global financial elite Trump has vowed to crush, tells the Financial Times that Trump will eliminate a rule requiring financial advisers to follow their clients’ best interests. The rule came about in response to a long-standing practice, exposed most blatantly in the wake of the housing crash, by which advisers would dump products onto their clients in order to get them off their own firm’s balance sheet. The Obama rule requires financial advisers to follow their clients’ fiduciary interest.

Scaramucci prefers a “self-auditing process,” which, he promises, will lead to “better client safety, less governmental oppression.”
One might complain that Trump is sucking up to the powerful interests his voters seem to believe he will fight. On the other hand, scamming vulnerable consumers is one of Trump’s most cherished business practices. It would be rather hypocritical for him to stand in the way of the business of scamming vulnerable Americans out of their money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

1stGear posted:

Eh, my original post wasn't quite correct, but suffice it to say, Ellison is a populist. He was a Sanders supporter, has been active in civil rights, and has worked to aid the working poor as much as he can.

Sherrod Brown

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Boon posted:

The position candidates bandied about so far are the most :stare: possible.

Like, the Bush administration surrounded itself with a lot of neo-cons and such, but the list of sycophants here is staggering.

There was a story in the AP about how there is going to be a crisis in staffing the federal government, especially the foreign service, State Department, and Department of Defense. The reasons being:

1) Positions are usually staffed with experienced hands from previous administrations and academic policy experts.

Trump has almost nobody from academic policy circles who wants to work in his administration except Heritage types who think they can just get him to adopt whatever they push at him. All Republican foreign policy experts that are still alive are from the first Bush admin (not popular with Trump or the modern Republican party) or the second Bush admin (most of these people worked for JEB! and have publicly vowed to not work for Trump.

2) Team Trump didn't think they were going to win and are scrambling to do staff reviews and just going with loyalists.

These positions have to be filled, especially the foreign policy ones, but there is nobody to actually do it. That means there is going to be a crisis where we either get completely unqualified Trump flacks like Newt as Secretary of State or Heritage / Industry stooges like Jamie Dimon at Treasury.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Donald Trump has become the first American President to support Israeli annexation of the West Bank and pledged to veto any U.N. resolution that attempts to restrict settlements or label settlements an "impediment to peace" or "illegal."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-adviser-israeli-settlement-building-not-an-impediment-to-peace-1478812976

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

botany posted:

Are there detailed voter turnout numbers yet?

Yeah. CNN has a site that breaks it down.

The main takeaways are:

- Around 18 million total fewer votes cast compared to 2012
- Non-College educated Whites voted R about 20% more than 2012 (66% vs 52%)

Turn among groups (as a share of the total vote; not total turnout for each group):

- White; up
- Hispanic; slightly up
- Black; slightly down
- Other; slightly down

About half of all voters said the economy was the most important issue. Clinton slightly won these voters.

Immigration and Terrorism were the next two biggest issues (combined for around 38%) and Trump won them overwhelmingly (>70%)

Age breakdown was mostly the same as 2012, except the under 30 vote was down and the 45-55 vote was higher than normal.

Also, 11% of the under 30 vote went to a third party candidate (was 3% in 2012)

The only demographic that Hillary did better than 2012 Obama in was College Educated White Women.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

botany posted:

I can't find it and the CNN site is a mess. Can you link it? Thanks!

CNN's updated exit polls of 25,000 voters.

http://www.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls/national/president

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, Trump actually won the under 30 vote among whites and almost tied union members.

lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is why I have no faith in the Left's ability to react and learn the right lessons from this.

I have hundreds of people on this group on Facebook who live in Philadelphia and refused to vote because "voting is about making the best choice for the country and not the lesser of two evils."

Their reaction to losing PA by less than 1% is to agree that they were right to not vote and then to do this:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

In an interview with Leslie Stahl airing tonight, Trump clarified his Immigration plans.

- Goal is 2 to 3 million people gone in the first year.
- Going to focus on criminals first. No deportation force initially.

- Focus on criminals includes the following elements:

- Checking immigration status for everyone arrested or held in detention.
- "Sanctuary Cities" will be abolished by making any Sanctuary City ineligible to receive federal policing, DOJ, ICE, or DHS grants.
- Mandatory jail sentences for anyone caught twice or who has a felony.
- Anyone who overstays a visa will automatically have it revoked permanently.
- Any country that has more than 5% of its Student Visa or Tourist Visa program overstay their visa will have their visa programs suspended pending review.

Parts of the wall will be a fence and parts will be an actual wall. It will cover the entire border.

The U.S. might initially pay for the wall. But there will be temporary tariffs and a freeze on Mexican remittance payments and diplomatic visas until Mexico pays for it in full.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 13, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone post the dozens of articles from the Kentucky Governor's race where everyone was like "I know Matt Bevin's only campaign planks were being anti-gay marriage and repealing Obamacare, but I voted for him and now he says he is going to repeal Obamacare in the state and I'm worried because I can't afford my $1,240 diabetes medication without it. Why is this happening?"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

boner confessor posted:

if it makes you feel any better he walked that promise back entirely and instead just removed any mention of obamacare from kynect, a totally completely not federally affiliated in any way health insurance exchange marketplace

Unfortunately, he also did some other dumb things.

- He added coinsurance premiums to Medicaid and made patients responsible for $10 + 25% of their prescription costs.
- Added a work requirement to get Medicaid. You can waive this requirement by going to a biweekly "personal responsibility education" workshop.
- Changed the administration of the state Medicaid benefits from the state to a private insurer.
- Set a 5 year lifetime maximum of years you can be on Medicaid if you are above the poverty line.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Is this not the thread for Trump tweets anymore? I don't think I've seen these posted. What could the impacts of his tweets be on the world? A bad tweet could move markets, or sell NYT subscriptions...

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/797805407179866112

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/797812048805695488

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/797832229800050688

Respect the office, bro.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kellyanne Conway says that Trump is considering suing Harry Reid for his statement on Trump's election.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-trump-1st-amendment

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Paul Ryan: Medicare Phase-Out will be first priority of new Congress.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/ryan-plans-to-phase-out-medicare-in-2017

quote:

Ryan says current beneficiaries will be allowed to keep their Medicare. It's the cord is cut between current and future beneficiaries, everything is fair game. For those entering the system, Ryan proposes phasing out Medicare and replacing it with private insurance with subsidies to help seniors afford the private insurance.

"For younger workers, when they become eligible, Medicare will provide a premium-support payment and a list of guaranteed coverage options – including a traditional fee-for-service option – from which recipients can choose a plan that best suits their needs." This means, if you haven't gone on Medicare yet, when you do, you won't get Medicare. You'll get a "premium-support payment" - i.e., a check that will allow you to buy insurance from private insurers. The "support" in the phrase means it won't cover the whole amount. And in any case, rather than Medicare you'll have insurance from an insurance company.

PAUL RYAN: Thankfully, we're doing it with a republican president and congress. We can tackle our fiscal issues. We can tackle the oppressive taxes that are stifling job creation and business and making America uncompetitive. Having a debt limit, which occurs -- March is around the time this occurs. With president-elect trump -- with president trump and a congressional republican and congressional senate democrats in the minority and senate republicans in the majority makes a world of difference better. We can use this as an opportunity to get good things done.

When Obamacare became Obamacare, Obamacare rewrote medicare, rewrote medicaid. If you are going to repeal and replace Obamacare, you have to address those issues as well. What a lot of folks don't realize is this 21-person board called the ipap is about to kick in with price controls on Medicare. What people don't realize is because of Obamacare, medicare is going broke, medicare is going to have price controls because of Obamacare, medicaid is in fiscal straits. You have to deal with those issues if you are going to repeal and replace obamacare. Medicare has serious problems [because of] Obamacare. Those are part of our plan.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jack2142 posted:

On the plus side angry old people might go bankrupt and die penniless?

Everyone 55 and older gets to keep traditional Medicare. So, people who are 54 or younger right now will go bankrupt and die penniless in 10 years.

No political backlash if it doesn't happen for 10 years!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, just lol at "serious policy wonk" Paul Ryan saying that Medicare price bargaining will bankrupt Medicare. It's literally the exact opposite and he knows it and is not called out on it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Additional Paul Ryan shittiness: They are suspending the debt ceiling for the first two years of the Trump Presidency to "give him room to maneuver to help us recover from the Obama era debt crisis."

"Principle" right out the window as soon as possible. But he is a very humble, serious, and non-partisan person.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fojar38 posted:

By the way, remember that "The GOP will now turn on each other because they aren't united" thing I was talking about? This is what I was talking about. The conservative factions in the GOP whose base is largely old white people will be very reluctant to cut medicare; the idea of doing so is entirely a pet project of the Libertarian wing led by Paul Ryan.

Literally every Republican house member and 52 current Senators voted for the Ryan budget. It is not controversial at all in the caucus. There was a minor revolt by 50+ house members because the Ryan budget didn't go far enough, because it let people 55+ keep traditional medicare and phased in his tax cuts over 6 years.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/conway-obamacare-special-session

Conway: Trump to Hold Special Session To Repeal Obamacare On Inauguration Day

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What is the only thing possibly worse than President Trump?

quote:

Representative Hensarling (R-TX) has already spoken to Vice President-elect Pence about hitting the ground running in the new legislative session. Hensarling says that Pence informed him that President-elect Trump had already given him assurances that he would give Pence a wide latitude to set the policy agenda; including staffing decisions and drafting executive actions to promote religious liberty and pro-life health measures.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Reminder:

- John Bolton was so bad, that he had to be recess appointed to be U.N. ambassador
- The only Republicans that opposed him are no longer in the Senate
- He thinks we should abolish the U.N., confiscate the headquarters in New York, and arrest any diplomats that tried to stay in the building in protest.
- He thinks that Iran is a "national death cult" and the only way to stop them from becoming "an international suicide bomb" is to kill their leadership and install new ones.
- He provided anonymous testimony that there were WMDs in Iraq, but failed to disclose it and then cited his own anonymous testimony as "expert opinion" that Iraq had WMDs.
- Thinks that Russia has a "death grip" on natural resource wealth and that we need to provoke them into conflict in order to "justifiably implement regime change in self-defense and for the greater world order."

He will be our next Secretary of State.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

John Bolton is also on the record as believing that there is an international Communist-Jihadi alliance to damage the United States that consists of Iran, Venezuela, Cuba, and Syria.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Christ, I hadn't even thought of this til now--is there a legitimate chance the UN could be gone in 4 years?

Probably not. The worst thing the U.S. could do is make them move their headquarters outside of the country and stop paying dues.

Trump already said that the U.S. will no longer pay dues for the IPCC or any other U.N. sponsored climate programs, but he hasn't said anything about pulling out of the U.N. entirely.

His future Secretary of State supports abolishing the U.N. though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Other Fun John Bolton Fact:

He believes that Honduras is actively receiving Islamic terrorists from Iran and sending them to the United States through the Mexican border. The government of Mexico is either "partially complicit or incapable of stopping the flow of Jihadist fighters."

Note: Honduras and Mexico do not share a border.

When asked about this, he responded that the jungles of Belize are essentially unregulated that the Iranian agents go through there. The distance is relatively small and there is no border patrol there, so it doesn't matter that they don't technically share a border.

This man will be our next Secretary of State.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mango sentinel posted:

Does Bolton seriously get confirmed? Are there not three Republicans willing to stop that travesty?

Here are the Republicans that opposed his nomination:

Peter Fitzgerald (R-IL)
Arlen Specter (R-PA)
Jim Bunning (R-KY)
Ben Campbell (R-CO)
Richard Lugar (R-IN)

Notice a trend? None of them are in Congress anymore. All other sitting Republicans supported him. Democrats unanimously opposed. That was why he was recess appointed,

"Moderates" like Snow and Collins supported him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

thechosenone posted:

Also, What are the chances Trump doesn't even know That Breitbart's founder is Anti-Semitic? What are the odds Trump doesn't know what 'anti-Semitic' means?

Breitbart's founder was Andrew Breitbart. He died a couple years ago.

Steve Bannon is the guy who took over and his is like an uber-Pat Buchannan who believes that immigration is white genocide and that international Jewry cause economic collapses on purpose to create a one-world government.

• Locked thread