Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FourLeaf posted:

The liberal focus on loving stupid celebrity crap instead of real policies that affect people is why we are here today.

Am I being whooshed? Celebrity candidate just beat policy candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

jwang posted:

Because progress is always painful, and unless you want this progress to stay, it needs to be reinforced into our lizard brains by pain. The brief 8 years of the Bush administration apparently isn't painful enough, what with the recession and housing bubble; so this time I'm hoping that enough bad poo poo gets pushed through that people realize that touching the hot stove is bad, that letting a fire burn out of control will cause massive damage. This lesson needs to be taught in a fashion that tells the whole of US that the policies that benefits only a section of the nation is always a terrible policy, and instead should encompass the whole nation. The lesson that divides "us" and "others" is an entirely insane idea that only makes this great nation worse, and is anathema to progress needs to be seared into our historic conscience like the idea that Nazism, fascism, totalitarianism are TERRIBLE things, and letting little evils like curbing the rights of a minority is simply the first step towards that greater one. So that future generations can look back and say, "This is where America had its darkest hour, where they let the evils of the past rise again. Thank god we've vanquished that demon, and has remained ever vigilant for its return."

Real life isn't a movie the electorate at large doesn't learn a specific lesson the way an individual does.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Scent of Worf posted:

That depends

Do you think the government would go ahead and allow the militarized police to attack entire black neighborhoods and trigger a national crisis the likes of which it hasn't seen in a very long time?

Under Trump?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Scent of Worf posted:

The best thing about the next 4 years is going to be watching tens of millions of republicans realize they've been duped by the establishment yet again :coolfish:

I think this is something we can all agree on. :allears:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

Ever heard of a presidential pardon?

Only applies federally.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Boon posted:

Only if it's you not posting.

I'm finding it fascinating just how hollow the Democratic party is right now. In one night they've been stripped of pretty much all power and yet are still the majority party by registration and votes.
The burn gets a 7/10
Don't forget having control of no states!

Nonsense posted:

I'll post where I like Boon.

>EDIT<: It is time to stop Dean's run for chair.

The rebuttal gets a 3/10. I dub thee scorched.

What's wrong with Dean? I don't pay attention to party workings because of my job making it mostly moot.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

His "mandate" is complicated by his not winning the popular vote.

That doesn't matter. That's just an excuse to do poo poo you want to do anyway. If they can get 50 votes for it, they'll do it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

I am part of a program that promotes shooting sports in Atlanta for all ages and colors. Would you like to know more :unsmigghh:

Yeah.

What if someone wanted to use a picture of a scary dog as a target?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

A friend in Ormewood park had her dog shot in her backyard two years ago :smithicide:

Sorry. Joke from the show.

https://www.inverse.com/article/21535-atlanta-gun-violence-animals

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Wooten posted:

Where is the data to suggest that people who voted for Obama voted for Trump this time when he had slightly lower turnout than Romney?

In the actual states that flipped.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

This article is real good

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Minorities can be racist, even against themselves. How goddamn stupid are you?

Boon posted:

Not stupid enough to believe that racism alone explains this loss.

You guys are just yelling past each other over whether racism/economic factor are 30/70 or 40/60.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

If you think Latinos can't be racist against Latinos, you're a perfect example of taking minorities for granted.

He's saying they have economic factors, just like poor whites.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gail Wynand posted:

Reminder that Hitler got into office with all of 33% of the vote and had a cabinet full of "mainstream" conservative politicians who were supposed to restrain him. Three months later, democracy was dead. People are not overreacting.

I really don't think the POTUS has the capacity to takeover the way Hitler did.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crain posted:

"It was about ~~~*~*~*ECONOMIC PRIORITIES*~*~*~~~"

I get why you are upset. But the economic priorities is the answer to the specific question of why segments of the population that went to Obama in states that flipped went for Trump. Not why KKK members and tea partiers did.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Polygynous posted:

Weird how all those people yelling at everyone to just "get a job" for decades all suddenly have "economic anxiety".

Not the same group.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Boon posted:

I am so terrible confused as to how so many posters in this thread can look at what happened and can so completely lock on to race as to the sole, driving explanation.

Just because it wasn't their primary concern doesn't mean half the country didn't sign off on all the racist poo poo Trump said

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Share my nightmare. Day 1- Republicans impeach trump. Pence is president.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

the admission of this requires a series of rather large leaps:

1) :abuela:THE IRON ABUELA:abuela: wasn't the perfect candidate
2) people care more about their economic station than identity politics
3) you can't shame people into doing what you want them to do

1. Obviously.

2. Some people, clearly.

3. Sure, but you can still think they are assholes when they elect a facist.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah because a lot of goons want to solely blame racist white people

Racist white people have been a key part of the Republican electorate for most of the lifetime of anyone still alive today. Those people are to blame too.

2. Turns out that people who aren't financially secure have bigger things to worry about than things like portrayals of women in video games or whatever insane derails the previous iterations this thread had. There was a very deliberate attempt by people to paint every sort of economic suggestion left of center as racist and we just had a massive referendum on that. I just hope that the lesson the Democratic party takes from this election is that it needs to actually be progressive or die.

3. Absolutely. I'm actually glad its looking like a massive kleptocracy for the fleeting feeling of schadenfreude of a few of my former friends basically detonating their entire social circle to voice their support for Trump, only to have him almost immediately betray them.

3. Agreed.

2. This thread isn't what racist white poeple were basing their votes on.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

can someone give me a rundown on what exactly happened during the Night of Long Toxxes?

i imagine this place was a bloodbath but i guess people were mass buying people's freedom?

It seems like there's still some question if they can rereg or not under new accounts, since it's a political toxx and cutting off a revenue stream in the middle of a fund raising drive is... well... :stare:

I wonder if anyone has given Trump some hard truths on the fine line he has to walk if he wants another 4 years.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Boon posted:

Why do you think this?

Here is the top concerns of hispanic voters in 2016:
1. The economy
2. Healthcare
3. Terrorism
4. Education
5. Immigration
6. Social Security
7. Environment

Source?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

no-one used the term like this, just you. you seem to have invented some bizarre form of incrementalism as related to politics that no-one ever mentions fishmech. why are you inventing words to try to win arguments fishmech?

No if any change happens and then more change needs to happen fishmech is technically correct, but it's a very tedious technicality.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

On voter suppression. it definitely played a roll, but not a strong enough roll, compared to the general problem that the Dems were not able to energize voters of all races.

That article only looks at one state with voter suppression. NC probably got impacted pretty hard, though I haven't seen anything yet that indicates it would have flipped if not for suppression.

Koalas March posted:

Weren't poor whites the only group of white folks who voted for Clinton? Doesn't that kill the "economic anxiety" argument? The only "economic anxiety" white middle/upperclass voters is "Stop giving my tax dollars to the blacks, browns and poors".

The economic anxiety argument is specifically applicable to poor whites who stayed home or voted Trump after previously voting for Obama, which is what is being blamed as the reason for the flipped states.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 14, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Scent of Worf posted:

It's already pretty obvious that Dems aren't going to learn anything from this loss.

Based on?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Scent of Worf posted:

"It wasn't her fault, those mean republicans ran ads against her"

Seriously? Hillary is the least liked candidate in the history of polling. She ran a poo poo campaign and handed almost the entire government over to the GOP.

None of this makes it any less stupid to sit out. You just lose the opportunity to vote for a better candidate in the next primary. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, Bernie will never win if the people who supported him rage out and quit voting.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Local issues matter, and those people are idiots.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Does that black Muslim man know that the Bernouts are actually the true racists??? :ohdear:

Probably.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Ugh some goons immediately started earnestly posting MLK quotes once they realized that the Democrats got swirlied in every branch of government

It was silly. It wasn't the white moderates who hosed minorities, it was the white leftists.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Didn't Bernie promise to work with and cooperate with Trump? None of this "outright defiance" has shown up in my Twitter feeds. Though I guess a question like this is pointless since we live in post-truth politics where the omly thing that matters is what you want to think.

He did the same way every other democrat politician did. He's not getting castigated by his true believers for it the way the rest of the party is though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mahoning posted:

All the questions in my email to him that his canned response failed to answer?

Yes, what were those?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Maarek posted:

I think if you honestly believe the stuff that renowned maniac weirdo Kurt Eichenwald posted would have turned the election you were already either ideologically opposed to Bernard Sanders or you desperately do not want to admit that this election was bungled and you made a mistake nominating Hillary Clinton.

According to what I've been reading people who lose elections are the only person responsible for their loss. Wrap it up Bernailures, he failed the primary and cost us everything.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zegermans posted:

lol maybe if bernouts put as much effort into electing their candidate as they do smugging in this thread he wouldn't have lost so badly.

You can't dismiss the Sanders oppo with "BUT TRUMP" because facts didn't apply to Trump like they would to politicians.

You also can't prove a counterfactual but that hasn't stopped them from trying.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, after watching everyone else be wrong about everything for sixteen straight years, it's pretty easy to have that kind of confidence. The left has been living in a fantasyland since the Bush administration, and judging from how easily the party leadership is taking them for a ride right now, there's no sign that's going to change.

What do you mean by this?

Sanders was a better candidate and Sanderistas are better shitposters

To be fair, you've had about six extra months to practice.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

also I'm really tired of weasely white progressives trying to use "Southern states" in scare quotes during the primary when what they really mean is "black people should have less influence in the Democratic primary process"

I had a really fun facebook moment when a leftist posted a map of Cleveland support for candidates and said "I need to move away from all the Clinton supporters to where the Bernie supporters live."

Said map was basically a map of racial segregation in the greater Cleveland area.

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's *not* a deflection. White working class people want South Americans deported so they can have their jobs.

Because what they really need right now is food prices to go up.

Maarek posted:

If you think that Louisiana should not have almost as much influence in the primaries as Wisconsin then you are definitely a bad racist person who hates black people, this is true.

How exactly do you propose to reduce their influence?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

*conveniently ignores who the majority of younger minorities voted for while deploying this sick own*

Sorry I didn't break down the map into crosstabs I'm sure that would have mattered. :rolleyes:

He wasn't a racist, he just wanted to move from where the minorities live to where the white people live on the basis of a correlation.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Yea, and for the past decade or more, democrats have historically made gains in both chambers of congress, because we usually get blown out of the water during the midterms. We also lost the ability to appoint a normal Supreme Court justice and now we are gonna be stuck with Supreme Court Justice Alex Jones.

So no, this election left us totally defeated.

Who is we? You voted Trump, shitsack. Why should anyone give your opinion value?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

boner confessor posted:

"why would you call me a republican, i just want to dislocate the democratic coalition and diminsh the role minorities play in the democratic party is all"

"and I voted Trump"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I didn't vote for trump in the general election 🙄

I only voted for him in the primary and that was because my voter registration got hosed up when I was in the military. Chill out

"Chill out." lol.

Tone arguments on the internet, which is the perfect conveyor of emotion. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
We need a ruling from a certified Black Poster.

• Locked thread