Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah this is hopefully just strategizing because Donald is really susceptible to falling under the influence of people he thinks are helping him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Grognan posted:

loving count how many times any politician says anything of sympathy with "poor" in the sentence. Our goddamn discourse still can't say poor inrelation to suffering people. It is either "middle class" or you get idpol specificity.

Feels like the loving discourse needs a deplorable underclass to work.

because people don't identify with the word "poor". That's not a sign of failing to address a group of people, it's a reality of discourse that a person making 25k either believes or wants to believe that they're middle class

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

Why the hell not. Play parliamentary games on anything the Republicans actually want, work with Trump on the populist poo poo he promised.

At best, you get some populist nonsense pushed through and alienate Trump from the GOP. At worst, the Republicans nuclear option and ram everything they want through anyway so who the gently caress cares might as well dodge some of the "WAH WAH DEMOCRATS ARE BEING MEAN AND NOT LETTING US DO ANYTHING" Republican screams.

yeah they're gonna say that even if the Dems don't show up for the next 2/4 years

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

I bet you just need to try. Also try watching Huey long videos.

there are precious few of these on yt, are you sitting on a trove?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anime was right posted:

they should realize that..... maybe the fact that he's an independent strongly correlates to his popularity but lol nothing matters

yeah and the Dems need him for legitimacy for other races

how many decades in Congress does it take for you to lose "outsider" status?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Condiv posted:

A couple of lines from that video really nail the problems with the hillary campaign: "and people still have the nerve to ask what her plan is. Her plan is to win against hatred and slurs. Just three words "I'm with her""

Even in her promotional material she admits her lack of messaging and still refuses to correct it in any way.

The Lena Dunham Hillary rap video by me, Lena Dunham. Find out my (Lena Dunham's) viewpoints about politics. I'm Lena Dunham.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

tadashi posted:

I don't really buy-into the idea that all rich bleeding heart liberals would run to the GOP because their patron saint is Warren Buffet and they get that they will be fine financially with a small tax increase if it means creating programs that benefit people who don't have a golden parachute. It's the "socially progressive/financially conservative" fools who think that society will be fine if you just love everyone equally and that just doesn't work.

As much as she falls on her face at times, I feel like that Dunham wants to demonstrate and create empathy for people. She's going to have to accept the small part of the populace that she can actually speak to/speak for, though, and support people who can speak to other sections of the populace. My problem with liberal celebrities is that they don't know when to get out of the way.

She definitely knows what's right for gender sexuality and racial issues and she will gladly tell you as long as she gets credit for it. She's about as authentic as Hillary dabbing on Ellen tho

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

Remember Odell-Beckham-Jr-Not-Talking-To-Lena-Dunham-At-The-Met-Gala-Gate

She's the voice of comfortable well-to-do rich women who have a persecution complex about the fact that they look kinda dumpy

Yeah it's like she accidentally fell into having the right positions

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

comingafteryouall posted:

I've seen a couple of people say we should have some Christian leftists getting more prominent support in the party. If Tim Kaine came out and did nothing but talk about a populist Democratic platform built on Christian values I would be OK with him coming back out of the bunker.

I told him this in the conference callllllllllllllllll ugh

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I don't know if it would work since there are issues about which denominations talk about which issues, which denominations have more Democrats or Republicans, etc.

But it could help and Tim Kaine is good when he lets that part of his personality fly instead of trying to be an attack dog.

Catholics voted for trump more than Romney or McCain, despite the fact he only brought up abortion once. Kaine needs to remind Catholics they're a socially liberal organization that depends on Dems to function

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hell yeah, let's put together a heist to steal Peter Thiel's immortality secrets and use them to resurrect the only true leftist leaders.

This is a good idea, you should go to a meeting and start pushing that. The only problem could be non-profits.

That idea already says it excludes non-profits

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Berious posted:

She repeatedly molested her sister and faced zero consequences except some twitter snark. If the dems want their message to be popular they probably shouldn't choose unrepentant child molesters to deliver it

:ssh: if she were actually legally or morally culpable, her lawyers wouldn't have let her publish it. the fact that she didn't realize that actually writing that was going to be unpopular is why she's hard to like

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

euphronius posted:

No they get that for going to classes and performing the class work. I don't think you get credits for playing a sport. Maybe a couple.

at penn state you get three credits per semester right off the top for playing a sport. Then you take athletes' seminar for three more. Then you take general ed courses for athletes where the coaches are teachers and you have to write maybe a three page paper per month. Then you take gym geneds for more credits. And then for the three-six other credits, the team either leans on the prof to give you an A or you take classes with easy or nonexistent tests and an equipment manager/tutor does all of your assignments. My friend played volleyball and majored in bioengineering and her teammates thought she was insane for it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

euphronius posted:

I have no dog in the fight but uh absolute rout? HRC won the popular vote.

downticket was shellacked, who cares that Manhattan went 83% dem?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Apraxin posted:

Democratic Senator says he's gonna back appointing Sessions as AG. (It's Joe Manchin, of course, but still UGHHHHH.)

Also gonna quote this thing I posted in another thread, in case anyone here might have an answer (beyond 'lol, yes they are'):

Pineapple Eddie is v good tho and u should go

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MrCussMustard posted:

To be fair, Clinton / Lieberman were out against gangster rap / violent video games in the past. Supposedly Clinton blamed the man who made Innocence of Muslims for the attack in Benghazi, and after the attack on Mother Emmanuel called for the Confederate battle flag to be banned. All of these things were attacks on civil liberties, and they were exactly the reason the Democrats (most especially Clinton) have freaked me out in the past, and exactly the reason I abstained from the presidential election, although I did vote on every other issue.

E: Sorry to keep commenting on posts that are several pages past, I'm trying to catch up, I swear.

good sweet lol u didn't vote for Hillary because she threatened your video games twenty years ago

would u have voted for trump if he had promised to eliminate diaper tax and broccoli?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Enough people abstained to vote for president while voting for the downballots in Michigan to make a difference in the race. The idea that people who "don't vote don't matter" is bupkis. People abstain from voting because neither party is offering them anything substantial. We had 52% turnout for the presidential race. When are Democrats going to get a drat clue and realize that there are way more non-voters they could be courting than Neocons or "moderate Republicans?"

lol yeah let's activate people who only vote if u go directly to their house and stroke their balls and tell them they're a good boy. Def not a waste of time and effort

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MrCussMustard posted:

The point is to do with good and bad art and first amendment rights. Freedom of expression.

lol it's past your bedtime mister

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fuckin dozens of diplomats and civilians were injured or killed in the riots surrounding innocence of muslims on 9/10 and 9/11 and was made by a dude who tricked people into making it for him. He should have and did go to jail

Hillary never wanted to ban the confederate flag, she said it was bad and shouldn't be on government buildings

But yeah Hillary was definitely the enemy of first amendment rights against the guy who wants to implement U.K.-style libel and slander laws

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Hillary has had a long record of sucking. Sorry for it being pointed out.

She sucks on some things, she rules on most things

But yeah def a justification for not voting for president. I don't give a flying gently caress for whom you vote, but there is no way two candidates are equally bad in equal ways such that you say "gently caress it, I'll let someone else decide for me!" like you can't pick which flavor of ice cream you want so you leave it up to your mom

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Not a Step posted:

Also, marginal utility is just a convenient story used to make economics easier. No one actually sits there and thinks 'Hmm, Donald Trump is 95% of a total fucker, but Hillary is only 56% of a total fucker. Logically I should vote for Hillary because she sucks less!'. No, they think 'Trump is a fucker, and Hillary is a fucker. gently caress it I'm not voting for either of them.' Your goal is not to simply be 'less bad' than your opponent. You need to have a strong call to action to get people to come vote for you, and Hillary did not have one. When Hillary was asked policy questions she either had a 30 second policy wonk speech or referred people to her website (remember when we all laughed at O'Malley trying to get people to go to his site? It didn't become less pathetic because it was Hillary). She tried to win by being the least offensive candidate running and thats a real bad strategy.

You're absolutely right in that it's not a good campaign strategy, but your personal voting strategy should be to pick the best (even if it's the less worse) of the two contenders. Like I said there's no situation where you get to each candidate being 76.42069% of a total fucker and make it a coin toss and even if you get to "each candidate is an equal amount good for me" you could engage one or two empathy neurons and vote for the person who doesn't attack large groups of people at a base level.

And again, totally, "I'm less bad than the other guy" is not a winning strategy for a campaign

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

Being against the first amendment should be a huge red flag.

How? She didn't want to ban any kind of video games, she just wanted to enforce the esrb. Her policies are already de facto in place and somehow nobody has claimed the death of the first amendment

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trump surrogate suggests using martial law, tear gas, and flash bang grenades to contain black lives matter protesters, Clinton said target shouldn't sell mortal kombat to 12yos

"THEYRE BASICALLY THE SAME PERSON" exclaims 33 year old 12 year old

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

If the esrb went by mental age, they'd never be able to make another call of duty

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

This is censorship. Supporting this, or anything like this is censorship. de facto or status quo doesn't absolve you of lovely loving policies and lots of people were and are against the ESRB, the Ratings boards etc, etc. They suck and if I ever get the chance they will be eliminated.

Um this isn't a larger discussion about how your favorite manchild timewasters can't have breasts. Hillary Clinton did not personally censor comic books as a politically-active seven year old

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

holy gently caress at all the nerds coming out of the woodwork to tell us exactly how comic censorship worked

Hillary was never going to take your superheroes nor your animes you babies

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Statement: "Hillary supported censoring video games"
Response: "no, just age restrictions"
Some manchild lurker: "here's a great Wikipedia link to show how comics were censored by a government that existed when Hillary Clinton was negative 33 years old. Hope this helps guys I'm glad my barely-literate rear end was able to punch "government censorship of comic books" into google so I could paste the link here, where nothing I'm saying has any relevance to the conversation but I get to pretend I'm participating by regurgitating information from the compendium of useless facts I possess, garnered from a proud history of hiding spider man comics behind my civics textbooks for my entire education. You're. Welcome."

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nobody likes moral scolds. And if you think that's hypocritical considering the above then you're right, but the people who voted against Clinton over vidja are also fascists who only care about their own personal indulgences. So what?

You're right, which is why Hillary called off her video game crusade a decade ago. The moral scolding was coming from the right this time, which is weird considering the kind of poo poo the AR was pushing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Sir, this is a Wendy's drive through.

thx for the upgrade, love me some drat frostys

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I dunno guys, Hillary campaigned like she was five-seven points ahead the whole time. Which is what every single high quality pollster and their internals said. She expanded the map instead of playing to win by one EV because those polls said the big 10 firewall was as safe as possible and she wanted a shot at a congress that wouldn't raw dog her for four years. They couldn't go by what trump's campaign was doing because they didn't do internals, literally getting their polling information from Fox News. Something happened between 2012 and 2016 that hosed every single poll.

Take PA as an example. Polls were showing her 6-10 points up, which is insane in a big state. Ads for toomey's senate campaign were actively pushing the 96-esque narrative that Hillary was going to win.

So I guess if you want to blame somebody, you'd have to blame them for not being able to see the future

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LinYutang posted:

remember that HRC had an computer telling her to fund Jay-Z concerts and not run ads in Wisconsin

What metric could you have used that would have given you warnings that this result would have happened? even with all of the benefit of hindsight, it would have been hard to justify. Don't pretend like Hillary wouldn't have put more resources into the big 10 had any polls showed a serious deficiency there

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ah so they got the keys to dad's BMW and wrapped it around a tree. makes a lot more sense now

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Battle Royale Baby posted:

I'm going to say this again: the issue was not "big data". Mook and Podesta never even bothered to check whether the analytics they were creating had any basis in reality.

They should have had strong benchmarks to check on progress, not figure out there are massive problems after MONTHS of campaigning.

Lol nothing matters

the check was public polling and private internals from public polling. like if they had internals for PA saying C+8 and PPP or Qpac were saying T+2, yeah it'd be really easy to blame them. Nobody was sitting around reading bill Mitchell and yelling "we need to get ground game into people's hearts!!!"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol Hillary ate so much poo poo for lines like that when her opponent was blasting winners like "no puppet, no puppet" and "nasty woman"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah I really think we should have DNC leadership stay on the level after Hillary's huge potus and downticket runs and all the help obama gave her

...oh word?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Hillary was generally more anti-gun, which I think she tried to position as a social-justicey thing (Bernie in safe cozy Vermont doesn't care about the violence in black and Hispanic ghettos)

That's a funny way to say "was swept into office on a wave of NRA dollars"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dante80 posted:

Don't know if this was posted here. Worth a read imo.

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind

What's the dateline on the article? Add about six minutes

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

idg how so much of our economy is done by computer, yet so few opportunities exist for telecommuting

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

They will pay their employees in Walmart gift cards.

they'll also repeal the restrictions on gift card depreciation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

Cattle Futures, friend.

But seriously the issue was she lied about it, when she had no reason to. Her friend made a bunch of trades on her behalf and then Hillary when questioned about them, lied.

Why would she do that unless she was covering something up? And the rest, as they say, is herstory.

"That shows I'm smart"

• Locked thread