Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bro Dad posted:

ex was an intern there (also got to go inside and see the actual fishcenter tank omg) and it was quite surprising, seriously the most equal gender ratio of any company ive ever seen. also helps there's a ton of women now trying to get into animation and williams street is one of the few places who will look at a person straight out of school.

meanwhile a friend who does audio stuff for legendary pictures showed me around and the only woman in the entire building was a receptionist

i've gotten to take an unofficial tour of turner and williams street and yea can confirm even from 4 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bass Bottles posted:

The creator is close friends with an actual aggressive racist nationalist who likes to remote-hack printers in college libraries and print hundreds of pages of nazi propaganda. There's a photo of the two of them nazi saluting. The nationalist guy used his printing pranking routine to advertise the show.

He should probably at the very least publicly denounce that.

i also hear that he's quite a dangerous man

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MaxxBot posted:

I've always thought the "STEM shortage" was a myth pushed by Silicon Valley sociopaths who are mad they they can't pay coders 30k/yr to work for 80 hours a week. Are there any STEM fields that legitimately have a shortage of workers to fill positions?

in civil engineering it's been seen for long enough to be a path to a solidly middle class career wherever you might go that we have enough new graduates to be extremely choosey for intern/junior engineer new hires

so right now you need a masters to be picked up fresh

tho a few years experience acquired while you were still in school is almost as good so you'd better have had some time to work weird inconsistent hours and not needed to work a real job to support yourself at the same time

e: i also hear the exact same thing about electrical and aerospace is all but impossible for jobs now and lol forever at chemical since they're hiring those people as straightup chemists now apparently

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Captain_Maclaine posted:

No, though he came close and if he hadn't blown off an interview might have gotten in after all.

iirc the main criticism of his portfolio is that his work was technically competent but that he no inspiration whatsoever

dude could only make motel art

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Puppet Master posted:

we really need to accept the reality that automation is going to render most jobs obsolete and most working hours as unnecessary

we are in a terribly uncomfortable transition period which can only go so many ways. One way towards people fighting over as many bullshit jobs as possible to construct enough income for a reasonable living. Another is to face to reality that initiatives like Universal Basic Income will be a necessity

i hope to live long enough to see the rich dragged screaming from their homes and hung from the nearest streetpoles

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Venom Snake posted:

Plenty of niche fields especially outside of tech. People pay a lot of attention the Engineer and Tech part and not a lot to the Science and Medicine part.

the M is for math

tho like medicine, getting just your BS in it generally isn't good enough to work in the field

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

logikv9 posted:

i'm really looking forward to standup comedy in trump's america

until it is banned and we are forced to listen to excellent conservative comedians like

drew carey?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

logikv9 posted:

don't tell me that my favorite 90s TV star is a filthy conservative

he was in the marines but i think he might be a libertarian nowadays

"yeah that's right i don't think the government should exist" *literally kills people for the government for money*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

logikv9 posted:

this entire election was orchestrated by BIG FOODS to sell millions upon millions of dollars of food survival kits

THE MORMONS

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

logikv9 posted:

during the nuclear apocalypse they're going to shuffle into their salt caves and become lost to history

still not convinced that they're anything other than alien robot approximations of humans

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurtofan posted:

Uncle Tom of Finland

gonna start using this

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fiction posted:

Who are we going to fight in WWIII? The European Union? A second civil war is probably more likely at this juncture.

canada and mexico at the same time w/ our allies russia and cuba

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nonsense posted:

always depressing.

Why We Post

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

anime was right posted:

where is the most global-warming proof place to move.

pacific northwest

good luck w/ that cascadia fault tho when that inevitably slips and wrecks every single bridge and hospital and fire department due to a complete lack of seismic design there over the past few decades

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ThndrShk2k posted:

The party mascot will be: Icarus

#only 80s dems will get this

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

unwantedplatypus posted:

Edwards, our democratic governor, has been having a slap fight with the GOP controlled state legislature. Mainly over what taxes to raise/ spending to cut because of some balanced budget law we have. In general we'll elect democrats now and again. For this election the initial results were:

Republican shitlord #1 - 25%
Foster Campbell -17.5%
Republican Shitlord #2 - 15.4%
Some Democrat Lawyer -12.5%
Republican Shitlord - 10.6%

It does no look very good

It's sad that northern Louisiana is full of lovely generic conservatives because even without global warming and oil spills we're environmentally hosed.

Like New Orleans underwater levels of hosed

i hope they don't fix it and lsu football gets cancelled like what almost happened this year

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/dril/status/541298222044819456

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

My Linux Rig posted:

What would a leftist tea party even be called? The coffee party?

guillotine party

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
rich people are mean

drop blades on them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Hey what is Sander's stance re: Inflation? Because we are going to get Inflation right about the same time the Republicans agree to raise the minimum to $15/hr so Trump looks like he's keeping working class promises (and because they know inflation is coming, in a big way).

Inflation is going to make $15/hr irrelevant, though. Bernie is going to get screwed here, along with the working class.

Any min wage increase enacted over the next four year must be pegged to inflation or it will be meaningless.

business republicans want inflation to be as close to zero as possible so i'm guessin it'll stay that way

until they gently caress it up and we enter a deflationary spiral b/c trump doesn't understand why deflation is anything other than good for the rich

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

comingafteryouall posted:

NCAA sports should be about demanding excellence from student-athletes and focused on teaching them life lessons. It's different than the classroom, emotions are higher and teamwork is really emphasized.

this is always a funny argument for higher education

you know, when it properly belongs in a discussion about middle school or high school sports programs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol sorry you weren't good at sports nerd.

poo poo has been part of higher education for a long rear end time now.

i was on tennis team, the bougiest of sports after hockey

the point is that that argument is laughable when you're talkin about the same institution that hands out PHDs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fullhouse posted:

it is really hosed up that university presidents and football coaches are the highest paid public employees in nearly every state but athletes get nothing besides a scholarship that'll be worth a lot less if we ever actually institute free college

not to mention the hilarious ratio of administrators and support staff to actual instructors at most schools and grad assistants being hideously underpaid almost everywhere among like a dozen other things why is college so busted

at LSU people can circumvent the school itself and directly donate to the foobaw team

i imagine it's the same for the other handful of actually profitable collegiate sport programs

the argument i hear mostly is that it "makes the school look more prestigious" which is a bit better than "lol they learn teamwork"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

NumberLast posted:

You forget lacrosse

idk can you make a living as a lacrosse pro at your local country club

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Berious posted:

dressage

lmao there's collegiate dressage

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

you being a tennis player explains a lot,

not every institution of higher learning gives out PhDs ya dumbass. it's not like being on a sports team precludes students from opening up intellectually, too. I already talked about the DI level being hosed up. but that's probably more of a symptom of undergraduate at large institutions not caring about the overall development of their students anyways, they're more diploma factories. the big D1 NCAA sports get away with emphasizing the athlete part and ignoring the student part sucks but isn't representative of the whole system, even if its the part that makes the money.

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah there's a big difference between big DI programs and being a DIII athlete like I was. At the DIII level you're just doing it for fun and while they still take it seriously academics are treated as the priority, at the DI level some of these guys are practically pros and academics are treated as an annoyance. Lots of DI football players major in the most easy, worthless degree possible just to be technically eligible to play.

which is exactly what we're tolkien about here since it's in the context of college coaches bein paid more than the heads of their university's medical schools or deans of their universities or even the governors of their state while

Fullhouse posted:

hosed up that the NFL gets a free minor league of unpaid interns and they all have to pretend to go to school while they do it

but that's apparently ok since they learn the value of teamwork and emotions or some poo poo

NCAA sports should be about demanding excellence from student-athletes and focused on teaching them life lessons. It's different than the classroom, emotions are higher and teamwork is really emphasized.

lol again

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Der Meister posted:

so the democrats want to retake the rustbelt and south by dismantling college football. accelerationism engaged.

louisiana state democrats convinced the republicans in the legislature to work w/ them on fixing the gaping holes in the budget that jindal left b/c it would've shut down the state gov't which includes LSU and therefore tiger football

they'll hafta do it again next year too

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bump_fn posted:

gently caress this is a good idea

well it's not like they're actually raising taxes on business or anything that jindal hosed super hard but it's a good start

this time around they had to have two special legislative sessions to do it after the first one got gridlocked, so i'm wondering how good that leverage actually is and will be next year

but yea "shut down the government" doesn't sound great when it affects precious foobaw

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fullhouse posted:

ok then just say the inverse, "green energy makes you safer"

idk I'm not a marketing consultant

isn't that what gore ran on; gettin us off of foreign oil

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Serf posted:

oh yeah, that's the kinda thing that will really get those southern states raring to turn blue

well they've already got a curvy chick for an avatar and i'm sure she's a nice southern girl who you can go shootin with

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

thats incrementalist talk comrade, see you against the wall (where ill also be lined up)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i don't call myself a liberal b/c that term implies that you support capitalism

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
reminder that trump still hasn't released his taxes and no one cares

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

a.lo posted:

gently caress it
they went red this election

and now their kids are all gonna be retarded or imprisoned from impulsive crimes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Not a Step posted:

I think when the history books get written and we have a few decades between us and the current years, Obama is going to go down in the books as a middling President mostly known for his oratory style and personal campaign prowess, who accomplished remarkably little while overseeing the expansion of the state security apparatus and the further destruction of the working class. It will be noted that the Democratic Party further collapsed at all levels, as his abilities did not extend to any other candidates running. I'm hoping his historic achievement as first black President becomes less and less meaningful as time goes on.

I'm not saying Obama is a *bad* President, but I don't think he's getting a monument any time soon.

i can't believe our first black president didn't legalize weed

choom gang indeed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
if the democratic party cannot have it no one can

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

loquacius posted:

It's really hard to take back your money and power when you are a feathery tar golem

we'd need to use the good bituminous tar tho

none of this pussyass pine tar poo poo i wanna see these people disfigured permanently

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The biggest challenge is going to be convincing people voting for dumb poo poo like commissioner every year is actually super important and effects more than home owners. I don't really have an idea where to start on that one

simple, mandatory voting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

typical millennial flipflopper

• Locked thread