Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

So, now that gun control as a national issue is completely dead, can liberals/Democratic pols finally, mercifully, give it the gently caress up? 50% of my extended family is rural and liberal, and nearly all of them voted Trump based on gun control.

Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Jenner posted:

But doing stuff and getting involved involves doing stuff and getting involved. :effort:

No but seriously I have been encouraging my liberal friends to get involved and have been looking into my options as well.

It's just really hard to feel hope and mobilize. We need a leader or something I guess. How did the Tea Party do it? :sigh:

They were quite literally funded and organized by republican billionaires to reach the point we got to on Tuesday.

So...y'know, if Buffet and Gates and Musk and Soros wanted to, they could fund a group who went into inner cities and depressed white communities to do outreach, education, and organizing. You wouldn't have to pay me hardly anything, just a roof over my head, food, and a safety net and I'd spend my life going from town to town in rural Indiana and agitating the poors.

No war but class war.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

Sounded to me like she clearly favored Ellison and was just being polite towards Dean. Seems kind of silly and counterproductive to go after Warren for something as minor as that.

Yeah, that's what I got too. She seemed dismissive of the idea.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

bump_fn posted:

bump_fn:

In less than 24 hours, more than 250,000 people signed a petition agreeing with me that Keith Ellison should be the next Chair of the Democratic National Committee.

That sounds to me like people want a political revolution at the DNC and that they want the Democratic Party to move in a very different direction. They want a Democratic Party to stand up to the greed of Wall Street, the fossil fuel industry and corporate America, and represent the working people of our country and all those fighting for economic, social, racial and environmental justice.

Now more than ever, that is the Democratic Party we need. That is the kind of Democratic Party Keith will lead.

We like big goals. I think we will send an incredibly strong message to the Democratic Party if we can get more than 500,000 signatures supporting Keith Ellison to be the next Chair of the DNC when he formally announces his candidacy on Monday.

You've already added your name to say you support Keith. Thank you for building this incredible momentum so far. Can you please take the next step and ask your friends and family to also support Keith? Click here to share our petition.

You can read more about why I think Keith should be DNC Chair in my email from yesterday, which is included below.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

Gonna start ending my emails with "In Solidarity."

In solidarity,

Navyjack

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Eegah! posted:

I'm thinking in the meantime is there away we could get a book recommendation list going? It would be great to have a resource of accessible books that establishes leftist ideology that we can use to recommend to others. I don't know where to start exactly but I would love some more books to read as well.

Seconded.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah. Psychotic, drunken rage was def where I was at, why should she be different?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/backspace/status/800375658891378688

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why are people mad at Tulsi Gabbard? If the President-elect called her up and said he wanted to talk to her, what was she supposed to do?

Well, yeah, (and of course you go), but that's a NORM and we apparently don't have them anymore. Like, why should you stand up when Trump enters the room? It's just political correctness, right?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

There are a number of fire-breathing liberal podcasts, but only fire-breathing liberals listen to them.

The goal is to reach out to the 49% of the country who didn't vote, and sell them on progressive values, but we don't have anything nearly as effective as the rightwing propaganda machine. I mean jesus christ, Trump's supporters called Hillary the most corrupt person ever to run for office, while the orange one's many, many, many ethically questionable and probably illegal dealings fell on completely deaf ears. At this point, all we have is idealism and it isn't enough. We need political skullduggery like the GOP's redmap bullshit and the Hillary witch hunt. We need to do to the 1% what the rightwing media machine has done to immigrants and Muslims.

Honestly, Jon Stewart coming back to TV would be helpful. Comedy and satire are potent weapons just because of their ability to influence attitudes. Trevor Noah and SNL aren't going to cut it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Not a Step posted:

I don't watch Noah anymore, but my perception when I did was that Noah had a hard time getting worked up over dumb American poo poo because he grew up in South Africa and thought our political and cultural issues were quaint by comparison. Has he changed any? Did they ever give Jessica Williams her own show? She could probably do the concept of the Daily Show justice, even though she felt she didn't have the experience for it when Stewart left.

Trump is a powerful meme wizard, but Bernie can summon nature to make his sick memes.

Not to whatever, but Jon Stewart quitting before this election was like....sports metaphor of your choice. He should have waited a year.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Fidel Castronaut posted:

See any retail manager.

And bar/restaurant management! The amount of unpaid overtime I put in could have made a nice down payment on a house!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You really can't say anything about gun control because there's no way it won't be twisted according to the paranoid style, into a secret slippery slope plot to take the guns away.

If you really want gun control to be politically viable then arm blacks, hispanics, and communists - then march them up and down every main street in formation. People will be begging for gun control then.

I'm SO in!!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

zegermans posted:

The only message Democrats should have on gun control is complete silence because they've completely lost that issue and if Sandy Hook didn't change anyone's mind, nothing ever will.

I keep saying this. If the literal mass slaughter of Elementary school kids didn't get it done, then it's a lost loving cause.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

logikv9 posted:

i didn't enjoy going through this ugh I'M GAY FOR GUNS circlejerk

Man, I got excited thinking we had a new word-filter, but :negative:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I came across this recently, and it resonated so I thought I'd share:

Richard C Morgan posted:

“The personal, as everyone’s so loving fond of saying, is political. So if some idiot politician, some power player, tries to execute policies that harm you or those you care about, take it personally. Get angry. The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs, hardware and soft-. Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; the creatures of power slide from under it with a wink and a grin. If you want justice, you will have to claw it from them. Make it personal. Do as much damage as you can. Get your message across. That way, you stand a better chance of being taken seriously next time. Of being considered dangerous. And make no mistake about this: being taken seriously, being considered dangerous marks the difference - the only difference in their eyes - between players and little people. Players they will make deals with. Little people they liquidate. And time and again they cream your liquidation, your displacement, your torture and brutal execution with the ultimate insult that it’s just business, it’s politics, it’s the way of the world, it’s a tough life and that it’s nothing personal. Well, gently caress them. Make it personal.”

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Joementum posted:

Paul Ryan needs 218 votes to pass anything. He has 233 Republicans, about 40 of whom are totally nuts.

Thanks. Thinking about this makes my day brighter.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

NITE CREW nostalgia givin me the feels.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

Huey Long was the left's Donald Trump. If that sounds too weird to be true, then do yourself a favor and read T. Harry Williams' biography of Long and then report back here to shitpost about him with me.

I'm going to do this.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Fuckin weak. Watched for 5 minutes. No seizure. 1/10 would give zero stars if possible.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

People on this website get so mad about the patriots though

I think the majority of all rage-avatars I have had bought for me were bought because someone was really mad at the patriots

deflategate was a hoax, tom did nothing wrong and will be the 2016 MVP

LOCK HIM UP! GET HIM OUT OF HERE! TAKE HIS COAT!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Oh loving baby Jesus what loving idiot thought THIS would work?!?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ARE THEY NOT LISTENING TO THE loving WORDS?!?!?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Posting on the page of the Neighbor of the Beast! :devil:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

what's more amazing is that even in the skinniest states, 1 in 5 adults are still fat

I'm a Colorado fattie, AMA

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Mattie's as SECDEF is by far the most qualified and sane cabinet member so far. I highly doubt he will last because, despite his hawkish leanings, he is a thoughtful and educated man who I very much doubt will be a rubber stamp for Trump's worst angels. 6 months. Year at the outside.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

ivanka Tiffany is probably the most normal one, which is sad

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

ya that was bad

like poo poo, why is that a reason to NOT get free college? if anyone can get it, that means anyone, so whatever yanno~

My response to that was always, "Well, if we get Donald to pay his fair share of taxes, I'm totally ok with Barron going to Ohio State for free or whatever."

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Aww! I miss "yikes!" Can we bring yikes back?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

This guy doesn't really deserve to be able to participate in society

IIRC, he's an actor who made a career out of being a stereotype.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Can ZDR or somebody pardon Baloogan?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ok, I am gonna go ahead and Toxx now. if we get Zuck v Tromp in 2020, I withdraw from the social compact, become a sovcit militiaman, and otherwise go full Baloogan. At that point, not only does America not deserve to exist, but neither does humanity.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Baloogan posted:

Never go full baloogan

in certain situations, the only moral acts are nihilistic acts.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I dunno. I like zegermans and baloogan and all the other folks that post ITT. I don't want anyone to be banished!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Subjunctivitis posted:

Has there been any good amount of high quality research/hypothesizing on this? I'd be genuinely interested in reading serious material what caused leftist apathy/political abandonment.

I expect it's complex and multi-faceted, involving a bunch of historical points like MLK's assassination, Vietnam, McGovern's defeat, Reagan/Second Cold War/Baby Boomer economy, Clinton/Tech Bubble/GenX economy, but is there a well-developed thesis about the interweaving of these (and/or probably other) things to drive leftist out leftist participation? Or do I just need to read Chomsky?

Why is this confusing? The motherfuckers can WATCH us now! :tinfoil:

• Locked thread