Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Like any reasonable NYC basketball fan I thought the bow at MSG center court was great entertainment, but this is super hosed up this whole draft is hosed trash my teams will never be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

IcePhoenix posted:

Actually after thinking about it can we just trade our pick for Butler instead please

i would also like my team to trade their pick for Jimmy Butler

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
with the 8th pick of the NBA draft the new york knicks select lebron james wow what a great choice the franchise is saved hooray

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

I try not to be too homerish but I see signs that he could be more valuable than a good roleplayer. But yeah, it's tough to tell with rookies. Especially raw ones. I really think being on a team like Boston helped him a lot more than it would have on a losing team as he gets to play without having the entire weight of the game on his shoulders. He'd probably get overwhelmed with a ton more playing time somewhere else

I'm not a Boston fan and I didn't see any other rookie play as well as he did this year. Wait that shouldn't be fully past tense

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I think I see him a bunch for Knicks news. He's not Isola I guess :shrug:

Doltos posted:

I've seen multiple kids with BBB sweatshirts and hoodies on. You guys are underestimating the meme potential of the Ball family among the youth of this generation

The meme's longevity depends on his play tho'

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

well that would've simplified the "Tank for Blank" rhyme schemes this is MONTHS LATE

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

Pick cancelled as Lebron James never took geometry and doesn't know what a triangle is. Sorry boys.

this has been makin me quietly angry for days now

this was our best shot...

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

R.D. Mangles posted:

maybe when someone told him boston had the first pick he thought it was david boston

maybe he thought it was a reference to the jumbo jet Bostan Flight A1-420 which explodes with the lead character aboard in Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Who's the best drafters last 5-10 years? Thunders? Spurs? Bucks?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

morestuff posted:

Warriors by far

I was thinking it over and I think it's the Thunders just because Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka period was insane. Warriors had a good stretch but they also drafted Tony Randolph. I'm mostly thinking about who gets actual useful NBA players out of the draft, not who winds up being able to use them effectively.

7 - Barnes
35 - Draymond
11 - Klay
7 - Steph

Last 10 Thunder got like

Durant at 2
Carl Landry + Glen Davis in the low 30s

4 Westbrook
24 Ibaka
50something is Sasha Kaun is still in the league somehow? Didn't he win a ring last year or something?

3 Harden

18 Eric Bledsoe
26 Pondexter

24 Reggie Jackson

12 Steven Adams

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Let's make it 15 just to open up the discussion :D

I think in the Spurs favor they seemed to know EXACTLY what they were getting with Kawhi. There was all sorts of "he's a superstar make no mistake about it" stuff coming out of their camp

I wouldn't hold missing Butler against anyone. He has the most delayed development leap I have ever seen on a superstar. NOBODY gets that much better at his age. Same as you can't really hold missing Manu and Isaiah Thomas against the rest of the league.

edit: actually yeah I dunno if it'll be possible to beat Durant 2 , Westbrook 4, Harden 3, that's three consecutive years picking an MVP candidate (and Harden might even win one soon). That's an all-time streak. Compare that to what the Cavs did with three number ones and two number fours (Wiggins, Bennett, Irving, Waiters, Thompson). The rest of the list is probably a more interesting discussion

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 26, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

An ACL is an injury that players in every sport fully recover from, in 2017.

Unless it's indicative of Derrick Rose-esque joint-punishing biomechanics that are a serious issue

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

Zach Colllins being sold as an NBA ready big is weird. He definitely has quite a bit of potential, but he's as much of a project as just about every other non-Markkanen big I've seen in the draft. There's a reason why Gonzaga played a 6'9" fat guy with a bad beard at center instead of Collins in crunch time, and it's because Collins still makes almost constant mistakes and isn't consistently the rebounder/scorer that people think he is yet.

He moves really really well for a huge white dude. I was extremely impressed by the tournament games I watched him in, was all who is this guy he's the best on the floor.

I should probably nail down out what "moving well" means since it's the thing I'm always looking for. A fluidity of movement and timely decision making, correct and graceful anticipation and counter-movement. They know what tempo to dance the NBA Dance.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Doesn't Swanigan have like a 7'3" wingspan to compensate for being 6'10"? Heavy dude with long arms is occasionally the best kinda rebounder.

Also he is still fat but as a general intuition I'd assume a dude who's already known for being a stupendous weight-loss sucess story shouldn't have too much trouble going the rest of the way? I dunno maybe that's too big an assumption

solid shooter and his name tools are deceptively athletic I wouldn't mind late first for him one bit. In fact I think he'll be good So There

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

kiimo posted:

He contributed greatly to the dysfunction of NCSU and had a really bad attitude. Ask NC State fans who wanted to believe.

See I read this and I'm thinking if you draft this guy over Josh Jackson who who will set his own grandmother on fire to win you might be missing out in the long run. The last thing the Sixers need is something to poison the chemistry.

Wow he's perfect for the Knicks I cant wait lol

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

kiimo posted:

Josh Jackson is shorter, lighter and has a significantly smaller wingspan than Caleb Swanigan.

He absolutely owned Caleb when they went head to head. Don't get too caught up in measurables.

Hah, I mean, obviously he's not a lottery pick, I'm just pushing back a bit on some of the knocks against him. I bet his conditioning goes the K Love/Marc Gasol route not the Traylor/Reeves/Sweeney/Ostertag route. Why do I think this? No reason whatsoever except I'm in a good mood and I like to hope for the best for our young basketball boys

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

He's not 6'10", he's like 6'7".

He'll be able to rebound but I don't think his offense holds up and he's going to be an absolute disaster on defense

Where can I find reputable height listings? DX I'm seeing his height as 6'9" or 6"10' and his standing reach as 9'0" which isn't too bad

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think youre right. What I see is a short power forward who moves in slow motion, whose game is Michael Jordan post ups and fadeaways, a few hooks, and who knows if he'll be able to get his shots off over 6'10 guys who are more agile and can jump much higher. A lot of his rebounds were Russell Westbrook/Lance Stephenson free rebounds that his teammates could have caught instead. Drafting him would be gambling that his game would work against NBA length and agility and that you'd have a roster where a 4 who was awful on defense isn't too much of a problem.

Zach Collins is going to be drafted in the top 10 because he hit a total of 10 out of a sample of 21 total threes in one year. There's no mystery about Swanigan and so he'll go where he'll go

what stuck out for me with Swanigan was .781 (164/210) from the line and 44.7% (38/85) from college three. It makes me think a team can get some good use out of him without trying to make him post up.

FT% was supposed to project real well into NBA shooting, yeah? Also steals? Steals leaders among the draft class goes like, Dennis Smith, Lonzo Ball, PJ Dozier then Josh Jackson

Swanigan's definitely closer to 6'8" than 6'9" tho', found some better numbers on that

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've not seen him play. But Dennis Smith sounds like one of those guys who works out really poorly for his draft team, gets a bit of maturity, and proceeds to crush it for some team that takes a flier on him.

he's coming to the Knicks and nobody can stop us

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

TheShazbot posted:

signing as a rook with the knicks is a death sentence

Hail Kristaps, God Of Death

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah how'd I get stuck defending Swanigan so hard? I'm not even that high on him, but...
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/caleb-swanigan-1.html

Yes, a jump (or a decline for that matter) in 3p shooting is sometimes suspect because the sample sizes are generally small, but the corresponding improvement in FT shooting makes it look like yes he can actually shoot pretty good

TOV% is, um, sorry for this it's going to be super nitpicky and several separate things:
-TOV% of 21.6 was his freshman season, it dropped to 18.5 this season despite an increased role (this is good)
-TOV% is already per 100, so you don't really get TOV% per 100. Formula is:
100 * TOV / (FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV)
(FGA + .44 * FTA) is roughly "how many shots did you take" (.44 * FTA is the assumption that slightly less than half of your freethrows result from FGAs. It's putting back in the missed shots that didn't count as missed shots because they resulted in free throws)
so TOV% is basically looking at the ratio of Turnovers : Possessions The Player Ended Themselves (via shot attempt or turnover) so it's not exactly a metric of general ball security or anything. A very high TOV% in the NBA is usually indicative of folks who pass much more than they shoot. List of this NBA season's highest TOV%s was like, Rondo, Rubio, Harden, Draymond Green and a bunch of bad PGs.
-Last season he turned the ball over about 5.9 times per 100, which isn't great, but it's not disgusting considering he was handling a bunch of the offensive load and he wasn't a bad passer for a big man.

probably not being able to deal with NBA quickness is a big problem and one I agree with which is why I'm finding it so strange to be defending the guy WHAT AM I DOING

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

Ahh here it is

that's such a cool photo. Looks he had a lifesize 3D printed model made of himself

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

The NBA Combine measurements are usually legit. The ones from the college are usually the most suspect. I dunno if they were hiding his wingspan or just lazy/bad at measurements.

Yeah when you let them take their own measurements they measure from the base to inflate the numbers

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

If you could get that much in return for Boogie he would have been traded for a lot more than he actually was

All the stories corroborated that Vivek literally thinks Buddy Hield is some kind of Steph-Curry-but-better in the making, I do not believe at all that they got the most they could have got for him.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Dangit Knicks fans have been focused on DSJ since forever y'all can't do this for us.

Frank NkI'll have to learn how to spell thisilina was second

MourningView posted:

They definitely overvalue Hield but while I'm sure they got better offers I don't think they were getting offers that blow what they actually got away. The market for Cousins was a lot cooler than I think most people expected it to be.

Hopefully Jamal Murray busts (too late he's already kinda good) so Bargnani for a first rounder won't be the most lopsided trade in the last 10 years

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Wait am I supposed to believe the 48 inch vert (not standing vert) is something other than a mismeasure? Are there pictures of him getting eye-level with the rim?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Rick did you make that list before or after the Marfan's diagnosis :[

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

Before but also I did not change it after.

I figured something like that. Completely reasonable thing to expect from the team that drafted Weis after he'd been dunked upon

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Being dumb is one way to drive views.

Man I wish I could remember where I read that article from some Buzzfeed-style Churnalist who said the best way to drive clicks and comments was to be deliberately wrong on the top end of your listicle. Make a 20 Best Movies Of All Time list, copy some uncontroversial IMDB list for 20-2 then throw something like Legally Blonde 2 in for #1 and all-of-a-sudden hundreds of people are creating commenting accounts for your website.

eh maybe it's better I don't remember how to give that guy clicks

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

1) main names I've seen on Knicks sites have been DSJ and Frank. It looks like DSJ is rising up everyone's board so I dunno
2) Frank Isola hates the Knicks and regularly gets things wrong because of it
3) who knows

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Also, Isola is the type of dude who responds to Twitter criticisms by immediately hopping into DM and arguing then blocking lol

WhyteRyce posted:

Are the Knicks the team in the top 10 that wants Kennard? What can we do to convince Phil that he's the guy?

Nah. Knicks have good scouts.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Thank you for posting the Insider article. I wonder if they get any new subscribers or if it's all people who've been grandfathered in since a different era of media?

It'd be fun if Jackson shot back up to #1 like he was so many months ago when I first made this thread and could barely google pictures of him

Lockback posted:

Knicks are amazing at finding guys that are good enough to get hype but not good enough to be worth the contract they end up demanding. King Zing aside.

I think of it as fine at drafting and abysmal at developing.

Doltos posted:

I don't think it's very Knickslike to go after a young, foreign PG that has trouble finishing at the rim and passing under pressure. Especially if Dennis Smith is there.

Isola doesn't hate the Knicks but he definitely hates Dolan and for some reason Melo.

He's also Zach Lowe-ish thin-skinned and tends to respond to twitter criticism by getting up in people's DMs lol

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

kiimo posted:

One Embiid foot bone away.

they'll just trade for Zipser and balance the scales immediately

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's like we're back in the 1980s. We have a senile lunatic as POTUS and the Sixers, Lakers, and Celtics are looking good.

and the Knicks recently drafted a GAME CHANGING CENTER who will not win them a title because of Phil Jackson

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

All of this happened before and will happen again.

The Ball of Time turns and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.

lol why didn't anyone keep him talking

please do go on

what "bad things start take place"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

drafting a superstar, or a supercar, oh my god, he was rolling mane, he was rolling hard

reference for folks who weren't throwing back tic tacs and touching their faces to dance-hop in the mid to late 00s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esn1h85Wmy8

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Face/Off introduced very important John Woo gun choreography (esp. the bit where both actors have their pistols braced against the other's forehead) to American film, and Bloodsport was by far JCVD's best movie about a secret fighting tournament, don't even try to compare it to Lionheart or Kickboxer or The Quest or No Retreat, No Surrender

yes I know technically JCVD's Hard Target was Woo's first western film but c'mon

Transformers 3 was the best of the Transformers movies but that doesn't mean much

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
was there anything in any public Jokic scouting report that hinted he might be as good as he is? I want to read reports from anyone who thought he'd be good

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Who's going to rehab Giles' knees and come away with the steal of the draft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
nevermind he's obviously going to Brooklyn and we'll get him his own room at the HSS (formerly known as Hospital for the Ruptured and Crippled)

• Locked thread