Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Along those lines, I think it should be a jailable offense to own a Malamute or Husky dog in places where it's like 90+ degrees for six months straight.

I see these poor dogs huddled into a corner, trying to find a shady spot on concrete while panting frantically at 9am in the morning(it's already 80 degrees) while their shitbag owner is sitting in some air conditioned office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

The Saddest Rhino posted:

why anybody should take it seriously at this point is a mystery.

I think you're unclear about the concept of comedy.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Unpopular Replacements Opinion:

Everything they did after Bob Stinson druggied out of the band was pretty mediocre at best, and their last couple albums were just plain bad. Which is really depressing because everything up to and including Let It Be was brilliant.

Possibly Unpopular Replacements Opinion:

everything Nirvana did and won accolades/massive sales for, the 'Mats did first and better.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

hard counter posted:

AIDs def had its affects on free love but one stat I didn't mention was that GenX had similar numbers as boomers. The oldest Xers would've been around 11-15 in '81 and they might've had the biggest aids scare.

That's my era, I was 14 in '81 and was right there in the middle of it since I lived very near SF. My recollection of the scary AIDS panic was that:

a) it didn't really go mainstream until a few years later, when 'normal' people were getting it from blood transfusions and suddenly the average Joe gave a poo poo because it wasn't just those gross gay people. Maybe '84, '85-ish?

b) folks kept right on loving strangers like usual, they just lied about it, and

c)you could finally buy condoms in the store like anything else and didn't have to ask some miserable old bastard behind a counter for them.

I'd like to see the distribution curve of the sexhavers in 1970, 1990 and currently, my half-assed guess would be that most people have the same rough number of partners as always, but now a larger percentage of younger folk are nearly sexless, bringing down the average.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

hard counter posted:

Still, it's sad that a larger percentage of millennials are celibate, probably not by choice, compared to others.

Most definitely. I still think it has a lot to do with simple economics rather than 'oh those lovely Millenials' like you hear so much.

Almost everywhere there are jobs, the rents are loving atrocious, everywhere rent is cheap tends to be devoid of opportunities, nobody wants to bring someone to their parents' house to gently caress, and lack of opportunity + intimate contact with others leads directly to crippling depression, which perpetuates the cycle.

The Boomers had it easy - rents even in cool places were quite cheap and entry-level jobs were plentiful, us X-era had it somewhat worse, but there were very few of us compared to the vast number of millennials/boomers so you could usually get out of the house ok if you weren't a total fuckup, but the situation now is really rough for young people and I feel bad for them.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The one thing I've learned from reading jastigers posts is that The South is the cause of literally every bad thing to ever happen in the world, and being born in the South is a crime punishable by death.

You really need to explore this intense fixation on the South with a therapist Jastiger, it's pretty weird.

:agreed:

I'm in no way a fan of regressive policies and/or racism, sexism, etc., but I've travelled through most of the country as part of my job, and found no_difference_whatsoever between the opinions and attitudes espoused by white people in small towns/rural areas in a)the South, b) the Midwest, c)Idaho/ E. Washington/Montana, and central California.

They mostly all suck outside of college towns and larger cities. Sad but true.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

spit on my clit posted:

it should be california and new york deciding the elections you say?

Right now it's the five or six swing states that decide the presidential election every loving four years, like that's any better. The candidates will spend six months straight running around Bumfuck Ohio and Gnat's rear end in a top hat, Pennsylvania while ignoring the largest states by population -and- commerce.

Plus, if you really think about it, there are plenty of hillbillies in central/far northern Ca and upstate New York if you're biased against city folk.

Basically, every way of deciding anything pisses off the losers :shrug:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

You Are A Elf posted:

SPAM is not as gross as people make it out to be. It's salty as hell, but otherwise makes for good breakfast fixins every now and again.

It's good sliced thin and cooked in a frying pan, but fairly disgusting otherwise, and a little goes a long way(kinda like bacon, the current bacon-everything craze notwithstanding)

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Das Boo posted:

Hey, that might be an unpopular opinion: I have never found SNL funny and SCTV was always the superior sketch comedy show.

Agreed. I always figured the people spooging over how funny it used to be were just high as balls at the time and would have laughed at a potted plant. It's always been roughly 5% funny, 50% boring and the rest is cringingly anti-funny, even back in the 'golden era'.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Power_of_the_glory posted:

I've seen people stand in line for almost an hour for Chick-fil-a.

I've seen the same at In-and-Out. I think that's goddamn nuts, I've eaten there and it's okay, but not get-in-a-drive-through-line-that-winds-around-the-block good.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Probably because the studio wizardry involved in most(all?) pop music today makes live albums difficult - either the singer's singing along to a pre recorded backing track, or with live musicians it won't sound anything like the studio version.

My unpopular opinion is that 99% of live albums were simply filler to satiate record companies that demanded 'product' every year and sound terrible, at least in the pop and rock world.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

The theatrical cut of Apocalypse Now is better than the Redux.

I thought this was generally accepted? The extra crap in Redux was somewhat interesting because I've seen the original like 5 times, but it really screws up the flow of the movie, which is long enough(and weird enough) already.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yeah, I didn't see the start of Idiocracy as a genetic thing, more of a 'loving idiot' thing, since the yuppie-looking couple didn't seem any smarter than the rednecks, just more educated and with better jobs.

Then again, I was watching it for comedic effect, not as a socio-political statement.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Good disco music is still very listenable and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is a great album. The late-70's backlash against it was mostly because disco permeated everything - classic rock, soul, pop, drat near every artist released some sort of discofied poo poo and most of it was terrible. Plus it ruined funk, which was too bad, as funk is more interesting.

I loved disco for a while, I was a ten-year-old kid and thought it was great, but when I got older it was the kiss of death to admit you liked disco, so I bad-mouthed it along with everybody else as we listened to Back In Black. By the Nineties, I was like 'gently caress it, I'll listen to what I want' and bought all the classic disco stuff on CD. Chic, Bee Gees, Donna Summer, all of Casablanca Record's 12" singles- it's all good.

Plus, truth be told, there was a strong element of anti-gay/minority bullshit in the no-disco movement, it was sort of a taste of things to come, what with the sort of redneck glorification movement that took root in the 80's. You saw the same thing with the anti-rap people in the Eighties, there just wasn't a record-burning party at a baseball stadium.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

My unpopular opinion is that the Ramones get really stale beyond one album. And I like a lot of punk.

Eh, they were fine through Leave Home, after that it was just kinda meh. AC/DC is the same, after Bon died it was all mediocre.

My unpopular opinion? No band has ever managed more than about ten really good years; that includes the Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, U2, Radiohead, nobody.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Beatles only existed for 10 years.

You're right, my bad, should have used a different example. Regardless, they were definitely a spent force at the end.

oldpainless posted:

Fleet wood Mac

Fleetwood Mac is kind of an anomaly because there are(at least)* two quite different bands there - early FM doing trad blues like Rattlesnake Shake and later Mac doing gorgeous harmony over Lindsey Buckingham's weird-but-catchy song structures.
The only thing bridging the two are the drummer and bassist, who don't really write the songs.

Neither version managed to make great music longer than ten years.

*and early Seventies Bob Welch FM who made gentle-ish adult contemporary music.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Jastiger posted:

I'd say Metallica lasted slightly more than 10 years and still put out some good stuff.

Man, I was a seriously OG 'tallica fan back in the day, and even I can't defend anything past the Black album.

I'm not saying that a band or artist can't put out decent albums or an occasional great song outside a ten year window, I'm just saying that's the limit for strings of brilliant stuff.

Like, I'm a huge Neil Young fan, and 1969-1979 was his run. He's put out some fairly good songs and albums in the last 38 years, but never a string of great ones like in the Seventies.

I can't comment on MM, not familiar with them except for 'Float On'.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Jastiger posted:

I'd argue that Load (1996) and Reload (and S&M!) were still good albums. Checkmate.

Yeah, but you also argue that Des Moines* is a great place to live, so your credibility is suspect ;)

I waited until midnight to buy Load the moment it came out and holy poo poo was that a disappointment. S&M is fine but they're just playing mostly old stuff with an orchestra, hardly groundbreaking. They put out three or four great albums and that was it, I'll argue that when Cliff Burton died, so did their brilliance.

*last time I was in Des Moines, summer 2010, there was a flood and the freeway from the north was closed, we were routed onto an old state highway and entered the city right past a submerged trailer park with a bunch of sad-looking old people staring at their trailers all cockeyed and soggy. I was driving an 18-wheeler and had to take this decrepit surface street, full of derelicts, all the way into downtown before I could re-enter the Interstate.

Was Not Impressed.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I dunno, I just bought a new car with CarPlay - I just plug my phone in and the apps shift to the car's built-in screen. I can receive texts, compose/send replies, and make/receive calls solely by voice, it's pretty cool. There's still an element of distraction because you're doing two things at once, but it's a helluva lot less than trying to type on a lovely virtual keyboard and drive at the same time.

Of course, it's not a huge deal for me, because I'm old so I'm not texting constantly and don't talk on the phone much, plus it's a stick shift vehicle so you kinda need both hands anyway.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Also that is a gross article that minimizes the plight of the poor. gently caress Forbes.

That article is the written equivalent of '95% of "poor" households own a refrigerator'. It's truly a pile of poo poo and the author should be guillotined.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

The people that bitch about 'tearing the bread' when spreading peanut butter are using that god-awful ultra-soft white bread designed for toddlers. Y'know, the kind where you can take an entire loaf and squeeze it down to a small cube the size of a couple decks of cards.

Real adult bread stands up to peanut butter, goddamnit.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

No, everyone's aware that Jastiger will never STFU about his terminally boring flyover home state and we try not to engage him any more than necessary.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I bought The Silkworm, one of those Robert Galbraith books , at a junkshop without knowing it was J.K Rowling. It was a decently written genre fiction book, but I can't imagine the series ever being a huge seller without the Harry Potter connection.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

the highway scene in matrix 2 is the most tedious thing i've ever witnessed on film. it just goes on and on and goes nowhere

I couldn't agree more. It was shot on an uopened short stretch of freeway and edited to look like a much longer road; unfortunately they did a lovely job and it looks like the hallway scenes in Scooby Doo - you can see the same poo poo in the background go by multiple times.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

let's not get into this okay thanks

Midge Ure's version of Man Who Sold The World is best

Well, gently caress, I didn't even know he covered it until now. It's really good, far better than Nirvana's, and possibly better than Bowie's.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Live Through This is a better album than Nevermind.

Most definitely agree.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Straight White Shark posted:

I think the operative phrase here is "as the average person understands it." I agree that the well has been pretty thoroughly poisoned and it's become a PR quagmire for social justice activists but the core concept is solid. Finding a better way to broach the topic (which may or may not including ditching the term and finding a better one) could potentially do a lot of good.

Although I pretty much agree with you, I honestly do not think there’s any possible terminology that would make the concept palatable to the hordes of people who angrily splutter ‘but nobody gave me anything, I worked hard for what I have, if THOSE people worked hard, they’d not be poor’ every time the concept is raised.

I mean, poo poo, if the daily/weekly ‘black person shot to death over nothing at all on my TV’ didn’t hammer home the point, nothing will.

JnnyThndrs has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Mar 20, 2018

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I swear Peapod crashed/burned during the last internet startup bubble. Have they hung on by the skin of their teeth since then, or did someone else buy their name?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

We spayed/neutered our barn cats so their numbers would remain stable, some of ‘em were quite tame, others were fairly feral - especially after we’d throw a blanket over ‘em and wrap ‘em up so the vet could do his thing. All of them were strays that loving assholes dumped ‘out in the country’ and they ended up at our place.

I can’t quite figure out what the bitching is about, they did a good job keeping the rodent population in check and we, in turn, made sure they got proper vet care and a place to live out their lives.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Apple pies suck. As do nearly all fruit pies, but apple especially sucks. Key Lime and pumpkin lemon merengue are the only acceptable fruit pies.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Every time someone mentions boycotting I think that image of people in the steam group titled something like boycott (whatever the latest call of duty game was, i think mw2) and most of them were currently in the game.

They did the same thing(with the same results) with Left For Dead 2.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yeah, I was just going to post the same thing - I used an umbrella stroller about 90% of the time when my kid was small.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

In these days of guys like Petrucci and Tom Morello, Springsteen wouldn’t strike you as a great guitarist, but in the early days, he was known on the East Coast as a great studio guitarist and he’s still a very capable axman. You just don’t notice because he does his singer/frontman thing and hires guitarists to do the heavy lifting on stage. The documentary on Warren Zevon doing his last album has a bit where Springsteen comes in to do a guitar solo, and he’s pretty impressive.

I’m not even a big Springsteen fan, but that fucker can play the poo poo out of a Tele.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I like how all the outrage about The Simpsons magically went away once South Park got popular and the pearl clutchers got a glimpse of real offensiveness.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one album Rainbow did with Graham Bonnet was better than the ones they'd done before that with Ronnie James Dio.

Joe Lynn Turner 4lyfe

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Master Twig posted:

John Wayne was a mediocre actor and a terrible person. He had almost no range in his acting ability and basically just did the same boring character in every movie. His movies also almost universally supported manifest destiny. Outside of his acting, he was a lovely right-winger who sold out other Hollywood actors to McCarthyism and got some great people blacklisted. gently caress him.

I installed two-way mirrors in his pad in Brentwood, and he came to the door in a dress.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

doverhog posted:

This is the best video on youtube. Out of the all, this one is it. Watch till the end.

PJ Harvey Rid of Me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzwG3r9_L9o

Can’t argue with that at all.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

A nice, short solo in the middle of a song can be great but I have a zero tolerance policy on noodling and wankery. Guitar "virtuoso" music is literally the worst poo poo on the planet.

This, so very much.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It should not be legal to sing "This Land" but exclude the verse where one side of the highway has a sign that reads "Private Property" and the other is a side made for you and me.

Agreed wholeheartedly. That’s the loving point of the song, fer’ Chrissake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't think the title of the song you're talking about is "This Land" because, well, the lyrics to that are something else entirely.

I’m pretty sure he means ‘this land is your land’ by Woodie Guthrie, because that’s a commonly sung song.