Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Sun Dog or The Library Policeman. Make the movies you cowards!

The Long Walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Gripweed posted:

The best political song of all time is Big Rock Candy Mountain

:hmmyes:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

‘Spiritual but not religious’ is an incredibly common self-descriptor in the AA/NA community.

In that context it’s anything but smug, it usually means something along the lines of ‘I’m working this program and doing what it tells me to do in terms of the Higher Power, but I’m not a bible thumper’.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's not that hard to get a mortgage if you've been working for at least two years straight and don't have abysmal credit. There's tons of grants and first time home buyer incentives and a lot of the time the actual lenders will have additional cash bonuses (usually can apply them to closing costs or as part of the down payment). That doesn't mean everyone gets to live where ever they want or anything, but if you've got ~3% to put down (sometimes don't even need that) and good credit, there's nothing stopping you from buying a place.

I think this varies tremendously depending on both your income level and your geographic area.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

CYBEReris posted:

the show peaked when the kids got ninja weapons and imagined themselves as animes and every other episode is poo poo

I sort of agree with you, but if you’re a goon of a certain age*, the Heavy Metal parody, Major Boobage, is absolutely fantastic.

*ancient

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Big gorilla at the L.A. Zoo
Snatched the glasses right off my face
Took the keys to my BMW
Left me here to take his place…

https://youtu.be/epov4_3h2-w

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Decent new/newish country music had it’s name changed to ‘Americana’ about ten-fifteen years ago. poo poo like Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Lucinda Williams, things that are undeniably country-with-a-small-c, but aren’t pandering crap.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

There's zero reason to buy chicken breast when Thighs are available. They're tastier, juicier, cheaper, and harder to gently caress up.

I agree with you in most cases, but if I’m making an old-school chicken parmigiana, thighs fall apart when you pound ‘em flat, while I can beat my (breast)meat vigorously until I have a 3/8” thick circle about a foot in diameter.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

This.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Scramble egg with a bit of browning and in solid chunks is a lot better than the wet mush people think is the "correct" way to scrabble a egg.

That’s how I always make ‘em; I hate sloppy eggs.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Eh, he’s not wrong, horseshit, cowshit - most any grazing animal isn’t bad in small, isolated quantities.
What -is- bad is a whole shitload of it mixed with piss in a confined area, like a feedlot or crowded stable/corral.

Source: I shoveled massive amounts of it as a teenager earning gas money to get the gently caress out of the rural area I lived in.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

christmas boots posted:

And frankly I prefer to live in a world where eagle boyfriend is real so I’ve made the conscious choice to do so.

:same:

I want an eagle visitor too.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Miracle Whip is loving disgusting.

Probably not too unpopular of an opinion, but I just couldn’t help myself.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Foo Fighters and Fugazi kind of occupy the same level of technical and songwriting quality (extremely ok) to me if I try to look at it objectively, but something about Fugazi’s music annoys the hell out of me in a way the Foo Fighters doesn’t and I don’t know why. Foo Fighters just bores me.

:same:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Josef bugman posted:

Also maybe unpopular opinion, but I cannot stand any comedy or actual situation where I have to sit and watch someone get humiliated. Even if the person is a bit of a tit I find it almost painful to watch bad things or social ostracism happen to someone. It also means stuff like the office or I'm Alan Partridge is just impossible for me to watch.

I’m right there with you - the whole cringe/humiliate ‘comedy’ genre is, to me, not funny and I hate it. I think it’s because for some reason, I always empathize with the poor guy/girl who’s being hosed with for cheap laughs.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I think Jorts is speaking in a statistical sense, not a personal sense.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

alexandriao posted:

look myabe i WANT to die from a big titty goth milk mommy crushing my head betwen her thighs!!!!

did you ever think of that??? huh???!?!?

Well, now that you put it THAT way….

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Anyone who’s had to remove carpeting knows the poo poo is absolutely disgusting - you’re basically living in your own filth. You can try to be careful and vacuum often and get it professionally cleaned, but it’s still nasty. Dogs and children make it 1000x worse.

That said, I can still see why someone might want it in bedrooms, it’s vnice to walk on in bare feet in the winter.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I could be wrong, but doesn't the UK have one of the lowest rates of cavities in the world?

If you don't have teeth, you don't get cavities.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Robobot posted:

I keep my place at 68 degrees all summer long and don’t turn on the heat until it hits 55 inside. And then I keep it at 64.

Cold rules.

gently caress yes. Having a cold house and burrowing under several warm blankets to read/shitpost/watch media is a great feeling.

I hate going over to people’s houses in the winter and they’ve got the thermostat cranked up to ‘sauté’ and I’m wearing a couple layers of clothing and instantly start sweating.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

The Mighty Moltres posted:

“If you don’t know a knot, tie a lot”

My tie-down jobs are ugly, but they don’t come loose.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

That’s my personal pet peeve; putting huge amounts of lovely tasteless iceberg lettuce on food that’s served hot. Burritos, tacos, hot sandwiches, even burgers- it just makes the food cold and the limp lukewarm lettuce can be a PITA to try to pick off. I know they do it just to make the food appear larger - I’ve never heard a single soul say ‘gee, this wilted tepid lettuce really makes this XXXX taste fantastic’.

Subway is the worst offender, but at least most of their sandwiches are cold.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Iceberg is fine if you need crunchy water for texture

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What's Up by The Four Blondes isn't that bad a song at all. I can see why the lead singer's voice is annoying. I don't mind the song, though and the hate for it is an example of something people don't know why they hate; they're just supposed to hate it (same as Comic Sans).

I never hated it either, although I could easily see it being irritating as hell if you didn’t like it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

credburn posted:

That movie is one of my favorites and so much of why has to do with the incredibly goofy models and "special effects." The movie's plot and setup is good enough to stand on its own, but I sure don't want to see it looking like a modern movie. I want my big shiny boxy robot and my shiny glittery streamers and shiny shiny shiny fuckin everything good lord the future is sparkles

The future is lens flare and sideburns and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

hawowanlawow posted:

apparently this an an unpopular opinion: houses with painted white brick and black trim look like absolute poo poo

anyone who paints a brick wall should be committed

Yup, and people that paint flagstone should be shot. In the face with a SuperSoaker full of hot sauce.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Shibawanko posted:

moon safari by air is awful

You win the thread.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I know someone who was on Jeopardy. She said the biggest factor was reaction time with the buzzer. Most people who make it to the actual show are going to know the trivia pretty well but you have to be faster on the draw than the other players.

My GF tried out for Jeopardy, and she said the same thing, the button/buzzer timing was critical. She didn’t get the timing down very well and didn’t make it, and she knows her stuff - she won Ben Stein’s $5k on that old Comedy Central show back on the day.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

oldpainless posted:

However my FAVORITE western is The Quick and the Dead (1995), though it’s not the best western.

I loved TQatD, almost as much as The Unforgiven.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

If I'm Going underappreciated Bowie my vote is Station to Station, whole album is killer

Agreed. For an album recorded by a guy in the middle stages of cocaine psychosis, it’s a fantastic piece of work.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Robobot posted:

Lucy eating all the chocolates on the conveyer belt is still the high water mark of any sitcom.

I have to go with Carol Burnette walking down the stairs wearing the curtains(complete with curtain rod) to lampoon ‘Gone With The Wind’.

It was a variety show rather than a sitcom, so your point still stands.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

The only good Green Day song I’ve ever heard is Brain Stew because they dialed back the ‘pop’ and cranked up the ‘punk’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

doverhog posted:

Incidentally, if you are looking for music.

Hole - Live Through This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5bWWNbvPmY

Legit one of the best albums, ever. Better than what Nirvana ever did.

I’ve been arguing this since 1994, and all I ever hear is how insane Love is and how she killed Kurt.
Dude….Courtney couldn’t have kept her mouth shut about anything for more than five seconds, you think she could mastermind a murder plot? The only thing she killed was multiple bottles of Xanax.

I saw Hole at the Fillmore on that tour and it legit was one of the best shows I’ve ever been to, and I’ve probably been to 500+.