Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Or the former German suburb of the Czech Republic?

Brno is FIA Grade 2, and I doubt they have the facilities or the cash on hand to make Grade 1.

Just hoping that Rosberg takes the 1 plate Like God Intended for next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bottas is managed by Toto Wolff.

Bottas to Mercedes, Wehrlein to Williams.

Rosberg to the beach for a year, followed by a seat in Formula E with Mercedes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alternative: Vettel scored few enough points in 2016 to trigger an escape clause.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Verstappen isn't going to Mercedes, he just signed a new deal with Red Bull and that would cost too much to release him (even if they allowed it)

Alonso probably isn't moving anywhere because the Honda people pay his salary and want to keep him

Button probably isn't because he's getting paid by Honda and seemed pretty chuffed with being out of F1

Vettel only could be if there's some archaic release clause that he triggered due to sucking, but even then, Mercedes may not want two guys of that type

Hulkenberg probably isn't either because the ink is barely dry on his Renault deal, but stranger things have happened

It's probably going to be Wehrlein, Bottas, or somebody else amenable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I've said it before too, but Villeneuve is really lucky Schumacher tried to wreck him like a dipshit at Jerez '97, because without that, everyone talks about how Schumacher nearly beat Villeneuve with a far shittier car

Jacques Villeneuve almost threw away a championship in An Amazing Newey Car. Schumacher's lunge to get himself DQed from 1997 and inability to capitalize a few other places really made Jack look a whole lot better than he deserves to be remembered on the balance, and Williams that year too. Imagine if they still had Hill that year instead of garbageman HHF?

(Reminder that Schumacher was literally Mr. Steal Yo Girl to HHF as well)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GramCracker posted:

Bernie is Cool And Good, I swear when he is gone we will all be dreaming of the days when he was around and running The Circus. I'd love to have faith in my fellow Americans (read: Liberty), but I don't.

He's literally the only one who, some how, can F1.

there's a very good chance that Formula 1 will turn into late-CART/Champ Car without Bernie, and Formula E takes over and is run somewhat sanely.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Also, I have a feeling Liberty is going to take a good look at Dorna and how they do the amazing MotoGP online streaming service and copy that.

I mean for fucks sake they even have a No Spoilers page you can bookmark which are just links for all the streams if you missed anything and no results anywhere to be seen whatsoever. That's some seriously good thinking.

the MotoGP app is amazing, great value, the apps and website do Chromecast, and the No Spoilers page is also a choice for the phone/tablet app too.

Alain Post posted:

I hope Iannone does well with Suzuki, him getting sacked from Ducati was harsh and made me wonder if they just wanted a steady #2 like Dovizioso for Lorenzo. Suzuki is historically my favorite bike manufacturer so I'm hoping the combo succeeds.

that sound is Iannone throwing it down the road and skittling Dovi off somehow again. It wasn't harsh at all IMO, he was fast but also crashy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Dovizioso is a complete mediocrity, though.

Dovi is the best not-an-alien at the moment IMO. Vinales might be an alien, and Crutchlow isn't as good as regularly (but that also might be non-factory bike at work too).

Honda needs to bounce Dani and give that Repsol seat to Crutchlow for a year just to see what he can do.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

F1 2017: Bye Bye Bernie

yep this.

good to finally see change, but worried that this might also doom Formula 1 in some way. Unless they start stealing the best ideas from Formula E...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Can somebody please explain the NASCAR rules to me it's incredibly confusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFOvldn_IRw

basically this

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

It actually doesn't have much to do with Motorsport. Ligier's paving company got a bunch of contracts to do the new Expressway network and he used those same connections when he went racing.

So he pulled a Roger Penske then.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the bright yellow Benson-Hedges Jordans with some form of Honda in the back were definitely a highlight of late '90s/early 2000s F1. Especially once they got factory Honda engines and Sato and Suzuka specials with far more power than the ol' chassis could handle. And look at those late '90s cars and how much sponsorship they had, those really were the days.

Jordan was the better Honda factory team, the BAR team was boring as sin until they became Brawn.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

F1 thread 1975: Strange noises are coming from Niki Lauda

E: hold up, Mercedes, Brawn, Honda, BAR, Tyrrell

Yep, they purchased the entry from the withering corpse of Tyrrell after the 1998 season.

And that 1975 footage is probably a really poor audio recording. Lower revving than now naturally so the tone is lower but yeah, a whole pack of them poorly recorded is going to sound like droning.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

Literally nothing, lol. He was just a middle manager to report back to Ron.

The guy who previously ran VW's rally team, right? Well that didn't take long.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh god I realized that too :smithicide:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Barbun posted:

Yeah but they are literally peak plastic

Aluminum, daresay.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

What happened in France?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4gFYO5uAWg

still heartbreaking :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Serious question, who the gently caress is pairing Alonso at McLaren this year? I literally cannot remember.

Stoeffel Vandoorne, who ripped GP2 apart a couple years ago, got a point on his first and only race in the McHonda last year (when Nando was hurt) and was a Honda driver in Super Formula the rest of the year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nsaP posted:

I dunno if they've sorted it but when I got it for the off season I ran into issues with the multi cam views too. You need a pretty high end system and internet connection apparently or it doesn't work right. Mine was never synced correctly and sometimes the audio would come in on more than one feed so you'd get an echo from em. But the single cam stuff is fine and you get access to the tests and interviews/videos during the season that passholders don't get.

The commentary isn't the best but what are ya gonna do. They're bringing in some fresh blood but you still have Nick Harris doing his classic commentary. Saying the same thing every race, misreading the situation and missing on screen action.

I didn't get multicam last year but to be able to have a legal English stream on computer or mobile is worth it to me. It also helps that now MotoGP and F1 are my Sunday nights instead of bird-fart am Sunday early, and thanks to living on the west coast for so long I'm used to having results spoiled (or how to avoid finding that out). luckily I don't care about the NFL, because that's done every Monday before I'm even awake. And yeah the NBA pass overseas is good too, I can't remember what I paid but it was less than $200 for the season (because overseas), no blackouts, and all I needed to do was get a burner non-American App Store account working to get mobile apps as well.

please god let the new cars be decent otherwise we're gonna have another month of this chat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I can't conjure up any more than "yep that sure is a Formula 1 car" for either the Sauber or Williams. Guess we'll have to see how they look in Melbourne.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/2/sirotkin-to-be-renaults-2017-reserve.html

Aaaaaaaand that's why SMP Racing is on the side.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I am still so loving angry about that hideous Petronas piss color ruining the silver of the Silver Arrows. Adolf would be ashamed.

and to make it better, this year it's a blend - green for Petronas, blue for Mercedes' EQ electric car branding that's being built up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

The McLaren "swoosh" was originally just the Marlboro chevron, which they then stylized after Marlboro left and claimed it was inspired by the original kiwi bird logo.

I think they were the blotches on part of the West McLaren-Mercedes paint scheme, like on top of the sidepods.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I for one like that Alonso even has a test-style liveried helmet for the sessions too.

STR got an awesome upgrade in the livery, the McLaren looks like poo poo, and it appears McLaren-Honda haven't gotten their collective poo poo together yet either. Shame, that, all the F1 magazines I see here have Honda-related stuff on the covers all offseason long (gee I wonder why).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I had to look up what Heikkis been up to and he's been racing in Super GT in Japan. Lucky gently caress.

And by that you mean "winning the GT500 title in 2016" in the Denso SARD car, their first championship ever in Japanese GT.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Wait Williams only had one car? Seriously? Is Williams the next Manor?

I would guess that at least half the teams only have one chassis at the test. they're very good at changing the one or two stickers for the car number depending on the driver.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lewis is an incredible talent, but you can tell he is a bit immature (in a similar way to some musicians, actors, etc) and that Mercedes care far less about his personal life than McLaren did. It also is important to point out that you can't have your cake and eat it too -- it's annoying to hear some fans both complain about drivers having no personalities, but then complaining when Lewis shows his. is it because he's black? :v:

Max is great and possibly an even bigger raw talent than Lewis is, but I really wish he'd spent more time in junior series. Maybe that's me being an old man and wishing he'd earned things the hard way, but also difficult to believe he's gone from a junior series to assumed F1 championship contender inside three years. Unreal.

and yes, Bacon Briefcase season is the Best Season.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

He's Dennis Rodman without any of Dennis' redeeming qualities (not that I'm aware of Dennis Rodman having any redeeming qualities :v:).

Rodman is an absolute statistical freak rebounder and came up real hard but yeah.

I have to believe Lewis at least wants to portray something like this. He might not be doing it 'right,' but it's been consistent since moving to Mercedes, so it has to be calculated and -- given he was an international star before that move -- probably not instructed to him like he's a pawn.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I also think everybody hating on Lewis should hold off on their Worst Drivers Off-Track lists until we get more receipts on young Lance Stroll. A kid who's done what he's done with that much money in the family has a pretty high chance of being an untamed little shitgibbon in interviews.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh my God, he's the Ted Cruz of F1

but Stroll is far too young to be the Zodiac Killer

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

What does this have to do with attempting to hire from the primarily UK-based F1 engineering talent?

Cool, while we're wasting Toyota's money we'll move an established massive racing organization (TTE) from Cologne to England because clearly only :britain: knows how to make F1 cars. Yep.

They had a pretty massive team already built up. The team that won the WRC and got really close at Le Mans before and since (the current program is also based there). As mentioned, the issue was too much senior management meddling from Japan.

[Edit] and Honda didn't hire experienced F1 engineers because their goal with racing isn't marketing, it's R&D and developing their engineers. Has been since the 1960s. They pulled the F1 team in the late 1960s to develop the CVCC engine, they went from the V10 engine to a V12 in the 3.5 liter era for the challenge of it (and it became the last V12 to win a title, suck it Ferrari).

I'm not saying they're right - with as much press as they're getting and leaning on in Japan they absolutely need to do better - but just the approach they have.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Halo14 posted:

On-board with fastest lap. Looks like it's on rails, so quick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJnFqmRo700

Comparison Video - Makes it look like Mercedes vs....McLaren.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...20a8ab80ea7d18d

That drat thing was on rails carrying so much speed through some of those segments.

Compare where he's braking, too. So late into the first turn :aaa:

• Locked thread