Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Formula One has been garbage since:

- The British teams turned up
- Wings were introduced
- Drivers weren't dying every second race
- The first turbo era
- The V10/12 era
- The V8 era
- Tilkedomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What country will the German GP be in during 2017? This was a topic of heated discussion on the F1 wikipedia article a year or two ago. One might have laughed at those who, at the time, argued that the German flag should not be shown on the "TBD" placeholder of the German GP whose location had not been decided at the beginning of the season. But in light of the location chosen for the European GP, namely Baku (which was well done), in retrospect it might be premature to assume that the German GP would be in Germany.

How about in the former German suburb of France?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm the front wheels that don't turn when the steering wheel does

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm suprised Baku got approved to be honest. It included pretty much everything F1 circuits have tried moving away from on safety grounds over the past 20 years.

Loads of dosh for the Bernie, that's how.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

wicka posted:

It's owned by his family trust, which is now controlled by his ex-wife and their two kids, and also inexplicably pays him 100m/year as part of their divorce settlement.

Bernie is a loving master at working out deals to his advantage

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wow, Nico retirement announcement was out of the blue, but good on him. Go out on a high.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

iospace posted:

When has Kimi ever cared?

Maybe when he got married.

Maybe

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

El Hefe posted:

They've been showing the 1982 season here because Rosberg won I guess, and drat what a tragic season.

That year's Renault was a beautiful car though, I love how the entire back was uncovered.

And the ground effects on some of the cars were that crazy that some teams didn't run nose wings

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Interesting. I wonder if there's something toxic about the Mercedes team at the moment. Strange considering their current success

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I went to a motorsport merchandise warehouse sale last weekend. They had F1 gear from around 2008 to current year. Got my friend an Alonso Ferrari hat, since he's a big Alonso and Ferrari fan, and I got myself a 2015 Red Bull jacket for half price.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

aequalis posted:

A cool photo stolen from wherever Reddit stole it from.

That would be Gianclaudio Giuseppe "Clay" Regazzoni on that Ferrari.

Died in a car accident in 2006 in a Chrysler Voyager of all vehicles. drat Clay.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Carth Dookie posted:

When's the last time Di Resta actually drove an F1 car?

Also he was poo poo and whiny even when he was in F1 proper.

Wasn't he a test driver for Williams this year?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Are Dan is still great:

quote:

Even upon his return to Perth for Christmas, Ricciardo has been reminded of his shoey exploits.
“I was having lunch yesterday in a cafe, just having a salad,” Ricciardo said.
“I reckon this lady was in her 80s, and she goes, ‘I’m waiting for you to take your shoe off and drink out of it’.
“It’s even spread that wide that I’m expected to do it from 80-year-olds at lunch.
“I said, ‘Look love, it’s only a Tuesday’.”

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

HJB posted:

Are Jense attracts supermodels, Yore Dan attracts grannies

he's a good well mannered man who doesn't chase hussies around :colbert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wait, there are people who like Alan Jones?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Spaced God posted:

Hi howdy here is my unpopular opinion: Crofty, Brundle, and Ted are the best Formula One commentary team out of Sky, BBC, and NBC.

They're so the commentary team I started out with in 2014, so that may play into it, but still they seem like nice guys and while Martin and Ted might not have the most agreeable opinions they all do a good job :shobon:

lol look at this noob who never got to enjoy the tones of James Hunt and Murray Walker

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

learnincurve posted:

Coming soon to a television near you: Bernie Vs Chase, 2017.

Gentlemen, start your egos

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I do kinda feel sad that the undead gnome has been kicked out. He was a wheeler and dealer par excellence, no one could screw money out of people as hard as he could.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Brainwrong posted:

If this new dawn means that F1 will have some sort of online pay-per-view subscription service that means I don't need Sky then I will applaud the hairy-lipped overlord.

While that would be nice, but considering Carey started Fox Sports and Murdoch pretty well runs all the Pay TV networks in the world, there's going to be massive conflicts of interest there.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

Counterpoint to the Carey praise: Fox Sports is really bad and the NFL is unwatchable due to ads and unnecessary replays.

Yeah, but NFL is pretty well unwatchable no matter what. You need to replays to fill in the gaps when nothing is happening. Which is like 3/4th of the game.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gret posted:

LOL Bernie wants to set up a competing racing series.

Pulling a play from the Ferrari Playbook there I see.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

learnincurve posted:

My English great-grandfather made his money from publishing dirty books :(
Yet somehow a more respectable achievement than your posting.

Schlesische posted:

So out of curiousity, how dead is the Australian GP gonna be under Liberty?
Why would it? The drivers love the track, and draws Euro F1 race sized crowds.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

This elderly Japanese man is my spirit animal.

I thought the Austin Allegro would be your spirit animal

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dubs posted:

Mount panorama is loving garbage stop jerking off over it

GEEEEET

hosed

It's the best touring car circuit in the world, but even I know that's it's inappropriate for F1.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

learnincurve posted:

I'm watching the 1970 season review.

Spa 1970.

Is that still on the mega long Spa circuit which F1 cars would disappear into a Belgian village and reappear with chickens resting on the rear wing?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Can-Am's ultimate undoing was their ugly cars. F1 has been flirting with that outcome lately.

Can-Am's ultimate undoing was Porsche who was kicking everyone's arse at it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

Its crazy to think that like 5-6 years ago Sauber was a legit midfield team and not a burning dumpster pile.

Yeah, it is sad watching them slip down the field to the point where they were battling with Manor.

That livery on the Sauber looks like something from the 80s

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hate the sharkfin, but otherwise I don't mind it.

Same, I don't think it is that bad. Dunno what learnincurve is on about. The double dicknose Lotus was far more uglier

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

djssniper posted:

Lets see come testing, no team is stupid enough to launch their final car... should be fun, No bacon briefcase this year?

I want a repeat of McLaren putting their suspension arms on the car the wrong way, and finding it works better

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I was really hoping the Evil Lotus (Were they still evil lotus at this point? idk) double dicknose car would go on to kick everyones rear end. Both so it could go on those buzzfeed-style "You wont BELEIVE these crazy formula 1 designs" lists with the fan car, and because i was an early member of the BIG JOHN fanclub. :911::hf::france: (Despite him replacing my original favorite driver, Piquet Jr)

The twin dick car was one of the worst F1 car in recent years. It was sub McLaren-Honda levels of reliability.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bold prediction: Bernie will be back as he has sneakily put a clause in the sale contract of F1 to Liberty Media which he activates mid season

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That Ferrari looks frigging awful.

The McLaren is pretty meh, but good to see orange is back.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

aequalis posted:

It's definitely unappealing. Where's the McLaren swoosh/kiwi bird gone? Or was that one of Ron's inventions...

Bruce McLaren was a New Zealander, and a lot of them love using the Kiwi bird as their emblem.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JFairfax posted:

jesus christ, why the gently caress would you go from sport to the defense industry.

what a oval office.

To get his revenge on McLaren by bombing it.

Then probably strafing Bernie on the return flight

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jesus, has Honda got ex-British Leyland engineers working on that motor?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Alain Post posted:

I miss Bernie too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I guess it was like justin.tv

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I just go general admission on Friday, it's cheap enough, since it's my only sporting event thing I do for the year in most cases.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Alain Post posted:

I frankly don't get what people see in V8 Supercars. The racing is mostly poor and the same two teams win almost every race.

Australian touring car racing was alright during the Group C/A days, but since the V8 formula I have been slowly losing interest in it. The Car of the Future platform brought in some manufacturers, but when you have Triple 8 and Whingecup/SVG combo going on, it's downright boring.

Except for Whingecup's gently caress ups at recent Bathurst 1000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Looks like the weather is going to be nice for the race weekend, mid 20s at the moment.

• Locked thread