Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sharparse posted:

Also I don't remember kicking so much butt in the PS2 original. Did they make it heaps easier? I've been pretty effortlessly S-ranking every stage, although I only got through the battlegrounds and the forest I guess.

It's more that the remake is like, 200% more responsive than the original, so it's a lot easier to be good at it. The original game was also fairly easy but you had to be a lot more deliberate with your attacks and know how to abuse assorted potions and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Shantae is apparently out now for people who got the Beta-tier access. Haven't seen any impressions yet though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Herr Tog posted:

So where is the hearts of iron 4 thread(s)?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776674

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hey speaking of Metroidvania games, the new Shantae is out right now for regular backers.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

I'm so jelly

Oh uh, so ...

Apparently the new Shantae game isn't a Metroidvania game at all. You don't even have a map. It's actually like, a straight up platformer sort of like Megaman X, the stages are structured where it's mostly a straight line to the boss, with some large rooms to work your way through, but there's lots of secrets and stuff you can go back for later with different abilities that give you new movement. You even get a "new transformation" screen after you finish each level like you beat a Megaman boss. The only thing is that it's mostly been entirely linear so far, you don't get a stage order choice like Megaman unfortunately.

So that's a bit unexpected. But aside from that:

- Art style is growing on me a lot, they put a LOT of work into the animations and poo poo looks really loving nice. The bosses look super good.
- Music is great, might be the best in the series.
- Plays pretty much exactly like previous games in terms of mechanics. Still pretty easy so far but you have low enough life that it feels like you need to pay attention anyway.
- Stages are kind of neat so far, lots of very large vertical rooms with a lot of platforming. Again it feels like a SNES platformer and not like a Metroid game or previous Shantae games at all. The big rooms feel similar to a lot of the large areas in Megaman X and Z.

So yeah, that's that. My early 1-hour review based on what I've played is that this already feels leaps and bounds better than the previous games, but gonna have to wait and see how much forced retreading of levels there is. I can see now why the alternate character modes are probably a lot more practical for them to do this time.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Shantae being linear instead of metroidvania is actually the first thing I've heard that sounds really exciting about it. I found the Metroidvania aspects of the previous games kinda lacking.

Well, don't get too excited because the game still stops you after every level to do some mandatory backtracking for quest items to progress. It's just structured like levels instead of a metroidvania map instead, and it's a lot more streamlined so if you know where to go you can get there pretty fast using the Warp. Wouldn't be surprised if those things were changed for the other characters though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I feel like playing a platformer of some description

Shall I try to play Risky's Revenge again, skip straight to Pirate's Curse or wait for this new one to come out for general use

or is there some other better game i missed

Have you played Ori Definitive Edition yet? If you haven't then go play that instead. Like, I enjoy the Shantae games but they're aggressively mediocre, as far as the gameplay goes.

So yeah, Backtracking Intensifies and all that. It's like, did you enjoy playing that platformer stage once? Well here play it 2-3 more times now. They try to keep it a little fresh by adding new enemies, changing enemy patterns, and you explore some new areas but ... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mouse transformation is not quite a new low for the series but drat if it isn't close.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Played Ori and loved it! Wanted to play Rabi Ribi but the drat thing crashed horribly so I refunded it, tried it again a month later and still crashed horribly so I refunded it again.

Well, I would say all of the Shantae games are charming and competent enough to be worth a play through once at least. Risky's Revenge is probably not worth a second attempt though, just jump into Pirate's Curse.

After Ori the best platformer I've played this year was AM2R. I forgot I actually got Odallus in a bundle at some point so I should probably play that next.

Ciaphas posted:

Well now Rabi-Ribi's clearly just running too fast, like that SR2 frame rate bug. Probably because my monitor's not 60hz, knowing how this sort of thing goes. Grumble, mutter :pcgaming:

You can software cap framerate for a lot of stuff, try nvidiainspector for nVidia cards, AMD has something built in as well I think.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Alright Shantae 1/2 all finished, easy 100% too in less than 6 hours. Definitely the best game in the series IMO. Can't see the achievements yet since the game still isn't technically out, I wonder what else would even be left to do.

So the unlockable mode is Hero mode which is pretty underwhelming, it's much like the 'speedrun' mode of Pirate's Curse, but they only give you a few of your old abilities so you can't actually sequence break a lot of stuff you would think you could, so still backtracking central even if it's slightly reduced. Looking forward to see what they do with the Risky mode anyway, kind of a shame they didn't hit the stretch goal for the other characters.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

chumbler posted:

And to be clear, scimitar is completely busted.

It actually seemed a bit less busted than in previous games at least. Not much, but a little less anyway. Still not much reason to use any of the other magics though.

Though in Pirate's Curse it was really the Monster Milk that was super broken more than anything.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Or, you know, actually make the damage upgrades do something.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

oddium posted:

here in connecticut is supposedly the best pizza in the world and it is really good, and then next door is like

Jesus Christ.

Gotta have my pizza Neapolitan style, with grana cream, ricotta, mozzarella, and prosciutto.

Yeah like this

Also good is chicken and pesto.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 12, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gamerofthegame posted:

where

the gently caress

is the last key in tassel town

That was the first area I got everything in, I don't recall anything being too obscurely hidden. Just recheck all the underwater sections in the first part (there's an elephant stomp block along the way too), make sure you broke absolutely all the side blocks in the tower climb (there's a few tricky ones including one you have to knock a block a fair ways down the level for), and I think there's just the two chests on the last stretch with the pits.

Oh and at the top of the tower climb there's a big vertical part with spikes you need either the spider or harpy for.

Seriously though why is the spider form even in the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

glam rock hamhock posted:

At least X4 is possibly the best game in the series. After that it goes very downhill though with them getting significantly worse with each game until X8 manages to be pretty ok.

Yeah X4 is super good, if made a little janky due to levels being split in half. I dunno if I'd say it's better than X1 but I kind of like it better personally.

After that is when poo poo immediately starts to fall apart.

Gonna try and finish up Witcher 3's main quest before the year is up, I've only got a couple hours left on it anyway, just need to stop playing EU4 and actually do it. Don't have a whole lot of aspirations beyond that, but I'm thinking I should try and play Megaman Z 2-4 since I have the DS cart and never played through those ones.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I just wish the combat was a little more challenging in W3 once you actually understand all the mechanics. It seems like at some point after the initial release they massively increased the invincibility on the dodge and roll, to the point where it's hard to even get hit by stuff anymore.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Witcher 3 combat works just fine. It's actually too easy and you have too much invuln and your tools are way, way too good for what the enemies can deal with.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

What are you even talking about. Have you ever actually played Witcher 3?

The dodge and roll are insanely loving invincible, like to the point it's hard to actually get hit. You can animation cancel literally everything (including the invincible dodge itself) so you are never in danger of getting hit even while attacking. You move slowly normally while in combat but you can still sprint just like normal. Ranged attacks are also a complete and total joke, goes doubly if you unlock the reflect ability since then ranged attacks are just a way to make it quicker to end group fights.

And like, light swings are extremely fast. Heavy attacks are slow as is Rend but that's kind of the whole point.

CJacobs posted:

Also, when you go to put your sword away, Geralt just pulls it back out. You can't run away from combat because of his slow trudging thing he does, and if you try to sprint, he automatically turns back to face the enemy and stops sprinting. The controls just suck rear end.

Okay yeah you've literally never played the game before, cool.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The 'pulling the swords out' thing is legit stupid as poo poo actually, but there's an option in the menu to turn that off. It's really dumb that it's on by default, it was a constant source of frustration until I flipped it off.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Hey how far am I from the end of Shantae Pirate's Curse if I just got to prop town

Also fuckin' hell girl I know you're in a WayForward game but just put some clothes on if you're cold

Pretty close to the end. Another couple of dungeons or so, and a lot of mandatory backtracking of course.

I wish you luck trying to find the last of the dark magic without a guide. It's really really dumb.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In this case it's one of those 'you need all the things to get the actual end of the game' unfortunately.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

CJacobs posted:

I hate hate hate that meat boy characters stick to walls. It takes a good 2 seconds to let go of the wall if you're holding in the opposite direction. If I wanted to stick to the wall and slide down it, I'd just let go of the stick! :argh:

You should check you don't have one of the many input lag glitches because that's the big thing you hear people complain about when it isn't working right. During one of the GDQs the runner had to stop the run because he couldn't get unstuck from walls.

Notable causes are uh, having any sort of DS4 drivers installed, using a DS4, not using Windows XP, running in full screen instead of windowed. Probably other stuff. Game is really, really badly coded.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Where are you stuck?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FutonForensic posted:

I'm trying to get through The cave at the top of Techno Baron's factory. There's a corridor with the floor lined with spikes that's too narrow to fly through with a harpy, but the corridor is too high to fly straight through with the bat. I think I need an additional power that lets me climb on ceilings or something, but I have no idea where I'd get that.

Yep you need the Spider form which you can get at Tassel Town. Don't remember where exactly but you can actually get it a fair bit earlier than where you are now so you probably just missed something obvious.

E: Ah yeah, it's in the windy passage in the first area, through the warp gate. You needed the elephant to get through it.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 20, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It makes the Leo segment about 80% more tolerable.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

TheHoosier posted:

Stellaris or Endless Space 2?

They're both early access so wait on either of them IMO.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

I Stellaris early access still? I could swear my brother has been playing it for months, but maybe it's a different 4X space game I'm thinking of.

It's not actually but it basically is.

Like it's not that bad really and there's a lot of good content to the game, but like, at least 50% of the game's core mechanics don't work right or need to be completely remove or replaced entirely. Paradox are good people and they support their games well so I have no doubt it'll be a good game sooner or later but it needed another 1-2 years in the oven.

I am also very pessimistic about Space 4x games in general so you will get a lot of more positive opinions from others about the game. But for my money I wouldn't recommend it over something like Distant Worlds or Star Ruler 2.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

:siren: Nier Automata Demo is now available :siren:

Oh my god it's so good.

It's got a lot of similar feel to Revengeance but it does play pretty differently. Has a similar Light+Heavy weapon setup system but this one seems more customizable. I really like that the dodge ability is actually not fully invincible and you will just get wrecked by solid objects if you use it poorly.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

Yeah, this game is gonna be so flipping good. One of the coolest dodge+parry style animations and attacks Ive ever seen.

I like that each button/weapon gets it's own counter attack type too. Launcher, heavy strike, and shotgun thing all work pretty differently. I wonder if different weapons of the same category will behave significantly different or not.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

GUI posted:

Is Nier Automata basically Metal Gear Rising Revengeance 2.0? I've read multiple times that supposedly a lot of its systems were for a cancelled Rising sequel.

It's not quite the same as MGR but there's a lot of similarities. The look and feel are kind of similar, the Light+Heavy weapon system is fairly familiar, has the same red-flash for incoming physical attacks, and the demo boss is like straight up the big industrial Metal Gear from the end of MGR :v:

But on the other hand there's no parry like MGR, no blade-time, and the dodge is not at all like the one from MGR. Plus it's got RPG mechanics and some open-worldness and quests and stuff.

I'm pretty sure the item pickup sound is taken from MGS too.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

ps4 gets 4 games worth paying for this month

Which ones? Having a hard time keeping up with releases these days.

Gravity Rush 2 seemed pretty cool from the demo (if very hard to do anything with precision), I guess there's the new Tales Of game that's supposed to be real solid as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

precision posted:

Is Half-Genie Hero the best one or is Pirate's Curse still the best?

Bit of both really. Pirate's Curse has much better abilities, no transformations, and is a bit more challenging.
Half-Genie is much much nicer looking, has a better soundtrack, and is a little more convenient to navigate/backtrack around in.

Every Shantae game has the same issues of being about 50% mandatory backtracking and mostly being really easy except for a few random spots.

• Locked thread