Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Holy cow, skitHOUSE was bad

related videos: Blokeman Meets Metrosexual Man

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It's just miserably loving dull

Like, compare an old hosed up kids in the hall bit, with the same premise of 'gay is funny'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLVv56YGXQ

it rules. Australia sucks at sketch so bad

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

When it comes to TV, though, what do we make that is legitimately good? I mean critically acclaimed and well-known. Bonus points if it doesn't go after its ideas and/or politically allegories in an incredibly hamfisted way.

Admittedly, part of it must be because it's so easy to get access to really good US and UK shows and Australia probably can't compete, but it never seems like we want to compete. And, when we do, it always looks like the same half a dozen actors in the same half a dozen shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIqqiK4ncfs

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

John Key quit for some reason?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

demolishing 18c doesn't go far enough, people who say "friend of the family' should get tax breaks

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

Hi guys, I have a request for all and sundry. I'm looking for people to share their experiences in employment in Australia, ranging from having, losing, looking for, regaining and keeping it. I'm interested in stories good and bad, but only if you're comfortable about posting it. In particular I'm interested in how your interaction with Centrelink and Job Services Australia have either helped or hampered (both?) your job search.

I also want to know whether you have tried for jobs that aren't "ideal" for you but still something to tide you over before getting a job you prefer.

This is part of a discussion I am having with my wife about the barriers to employment for Australians, and in general I think it's good to highlight these things from time to time anyway.

If you could also include how long you were unemployed for and which part of Australia you were/are living in, that would help too.

Thanks!

Yo, been with Octec in Canberra for about two months, had two appointments where the promise was a job trial. both times I got told to leave, because no such job existed. Then the case worker offered tax funded grants to the employer to employ me, for a menial labour job that doesn't exist.

You'd think a parasite industry who sucks from the job market would be the tiniest bit economically literate

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Octec are..well, this branch at least is pretty understanding at least. I don't really feel like I'm any closer to actually getting employment, but they aren't grotesque shitlords like most of the JSAs in this town seem to be.

Octec is very gentle, in their parasitic ineptitude, they don't seem to have the policy of threats and suspensions that the other jsas got

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Lid posted:

Who the gently caress thinks this is a good idea?

I mean, they're not wrong

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

i'm a li'l baffled by the response to the greens schisming left.

Why is that bad?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

norp posted:

We warned you about splits bro

Yeah, but turn left. gently caress centrism. "Eligibility" is a clown's strategy

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

AgentF posted:

Agreed, but turn left not schism left. Consensus decision making is particularly amenable to change from within approaches. Can influence the party to the left without declaring a "faction" to present image of disunity or needless antagonism.

I genuinely disagree, gently caress "change from within". A hard statement about what the party should stand for, ratfuckery be damned, is dope. If it debilitates the party, so be it

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Cynicism is a disease on par with libertarianism

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Shut the gently caress up, BBjoey

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i too think the left should aggressively purse a platform of unelectability and never have power ever again, get in line fuckos

"Electibility" is a hateful and functionless idea

Things matter

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

No

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

starkebn posted:

Calling for the downfall of capitalism as your core platform isn't a very tenable position to hold. If anyone needs to explain why I think it might be a lost cause

It's not meant to be "tenable"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It is not fascim that a leftist faction of the Greens exists

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

no but it is a pain in the arse that a bunch of blowhards want to take a consensus based party and force it to use their particular language when discussing economic justice. it's like the 'alt-right' media in the US complaining that obama won't use the magic words 'radical islamic terrorism' when he had bin laden killed and bombed half the weddings in the middle east over 8 years.

Don't whinge, think

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Higsian posted:

Yoyo, your stated positions are naturally outwardly facing. They are the things you tell people you want to do. So you tell people you want to enrich and empower regular Australians and ensure the government and economy is working for them, and then you push things that empower people and reduce the power of capital and the right. The goal might be to eventually gut capitalism and bring about a new order, but you start by doing things that aren't overtly and fundamentally anti-capitalism because then you get to say things like "hey why are you opposed to protecting Australian workers and families?" over and over instead of trying to justify overturning the established order right away. You don't say you want to bring about the end of capitalism, you just happen to have a core ideal that is best served by tearing down capitalism and you're always wanting to do things that move closer to that end-point.

Also you don't try to split left in the left-most relevant party while the right-most relevant party is in power. You pull left, you consolidate power, THEN you split left if you need to. Why would you try and factionalise a minor party anyways? You factionalise major parties once you've secured enough power that you still have significant power after you do it you sillies.

I think the phrase yer replying to refutes what you said pretty handily

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

open24hours posted:

It seems like a class action waiting to happen. I assume Centrelink are exempted from whatever laws there are against sending fake invoices?

Yeah, ton of dudes collecting complaints to throw back

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Lid posted:

Splits

Fuckin' bicycle tories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That is from the article, not the comments.

Oh my god

• Locked thread