Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Bootcha checking out the ruckus.

edit: lowtax catte after the avatar war

Polish Avenger fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
I can't listen to this much longer, can they play the broken game for a while.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
This is a failure, even from a schadenfreude perspective. How is reddit so quiet?

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Never stop rubbing imo.

So my question is what the hell did PC Gamer and others write about and why is it not being demoed here instead of this badly made cryengine mod?

This actually looked like exactly what PC Gamer said they played. They probably directed him enough to not see the strings and spit holding everything together.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Can Star Citizen just be over? Can all of this just end? I'm starting to doubt it can even deliver a satisfying failure. I can't follow this nothing-show if we're talking a Duke Nukem Forever timeline.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

big nipples big life posted:

How many hours of sleep will CIG staff get in those 65 days?

They'll probably make 7th Fleet Destroyer crews look well rested (I am not in the military don't @ me)

Actually, that could explain a lot. The devs are hallucinating so much it causes all kinds of confusion as to what's in the game already.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Have to hand it to you Dear Uncle, you give full accounting.

He opens the books, unlike CIG.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Colostomy Bag posted:

The problem I have with the tattoo is it doesn't have the broken off piece inked correctly. Fidelity ruined.

Star looks a little off-center, too.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

The Titanic posted:

Welcome to the thread, friend. :)

Since a card game doesn't require programming talent, probably sooner than anything Star Citizen.

They'll fund the game with card sales and create rules and systems for the game later. Design debt is no big deal for them.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

XK posted:

Brian Chambers doesn't know. Scoot around on a barren surface of dirt and rocks, you can't get to space under any circumstances. Your altimeter updates every 45 seconds, maybe. Don't try to sit on a jump seat while the ship is in motion. Ride a Nox and it will roll over. Blasting people in the face with a shotgun works sometimes. Ursa rovers can phase through mountain ranges while floating and upside down. The skybox looks the same even if you run off to the dark side of the moon.

It seemed like they created a standalone level where gravity was on everywhere for everything as long as object != space ship. I don't think I saw a person successfully EVA, just the guy fall for millenia back to the surface (server reset before he landed). When they stuck a Nox in the Cutlass, flew the Cutlass into 'space' and drove the nox out, it immediately oriented itself to the planet's horizon and fell back down to the surface.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • 3.0 will arrive this year
  • in the first release, there will be a planetary landing mode accessible from the main screen (or space stations)
  • you will not be able to fly down to the planet from space
  • there will be rovers akin to the mako for ground exploration
  • desert planet populated with several small oasis
  • playable space is less than 100km2
  • 3.0 will include a new player inventory
  • no new ship inventory in this release
  • mining will be available
  • player to player trading is not available in this release
  • crafting will not be in this release
  • the planet will only hold 32 players
  • the planet will be instanced
  • currently no ground combat npcs or other life
  • the planet will not track changes made by players
  • this will be the only planet available for this release
  • will feature 3 distinct, hand crafted outposts with new quests
  • players will not be able to go underwater (unsure if this means no water or that they can't get in water or what)
  • sqlude has been pushed to q1 2018
  • mocap cleanup still ongoing with "years" of manpower still to come
  • many npcs and quests from sq42 have been migrated to SC, as SC specific quests (3.0 planet will feature these)

I can't wait for Moma to "faux own" (fauxn) this list by picking nits and playing dumb in bad faith in order to claim they're false.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Taintrunner posted:

In other million dollar sci-fi property shill news,

Disney rehashed the Super Star Destroyer and the AT-AT walker, and the Star Wars Explained dork hyped it up like the shill he is, "they're already breaking new ground!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ793fo6jxo

So loving embarassing. Even worse this guy has a Patreon, I doubt Disney is paying him for all this free advertising.

Well, I'm not pleased about the megacaliber 6 but naming the thing after the gun is pretty plausible so I can roll with that. New Super Star Destroyer is fine. None of it is near as bad as the stupid dragon star destroyer for admiral Thrawn. It's like a flagship with a lower back tattoo. I'd rather he be uncanonized.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
By Star Citizen standards hes gotten away with highway robbery. He pledged way too much money on a game with realistic scope, that came out basically on time (?) and is a pretty good example of the genre while not perfect.

Shitizens should ask him for stock tips.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

The Titanic posted:

I don't believe this. CR could not have even done any better with a custom engine.

Blaming everything on CryEngine is giving CR an unfair way out. A talented developer with good programmers could have done something. Might not be Star Citizen, but it would be closer.

CR can't even get a single ground level to work in CryEngine.

Don't even fork blame from CR to CryEngine anymore. This is his complete failure, and it does not matter which engine he used. It would have been equally ruined.

An even more sinister view is Cryengine is responsible for any success he's had to this point. It may not get the space game made, but it might have been why it got funded. Imagine how it would have been different if they couldn't make good looking, high quality assets from the drop. Cryengine certainly makes a good looking trailer or static bullshot. Could they have done that in the beginning while building their own engine? Could they have lasted long enough for the engine to be far enough along to produce a few concepts? Honestly, based on what I know of the backers now, he probably could have funded this thing on pencil drawings. Still an interesting question.

That's not to say they would have made with a custom engine, no. Not with Chris at the helm.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

tuo posted:

Same with our aussie. The cats get really rough while playing with him, and he's totally chilled, looking at you with this "is the cat finished yet?" look.

Dog faces must just be built for that. I mean, they bite poo poo, that poo poo's gonna start bashing them in the face. Cat's are nothing.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
This helmet visor looks like a viewport through a bulkhead. Reminds me of being a passenger in a Battlefield APC and being able to look out this tiny rifle-port and fire your primary.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Toops posted:

No I think you're right on. This has been my working theory: In order to achieve bigger levels, they downscaled every game object. This, of course, is a terrible idea, because physics engines are designed around a specific scale. You can't just make objects smaller, it throws off the mass/size/force/velocity math that's going on behind the scenes. It explains the lack of inertia, constant collider/clipping errors, and all the small jittery glitches that happen constantly.

The only hole this theory has is the netcode. Assuming there is none, this is a really attractive theory. Really, for this demo there should be little evidence of network desync (but Star Citizen finds a way!). But knowing that the netcode is so hosed that you get desync in the same room as the server and the other clients, it's not a stretch to think there are no scaling issues and it's just the lovely netcode and a terrible flight model causing everything we are seeing.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Is there any reason to believe there's any "netcode" being shown here at all? They could be using a TCP LAN build or whatever the relevant TLAs would be in this case.

The tough part with anything like this is wondering if CIG could make a demo branch using TCP instead of UDP and not gently caress it up so bad it doesn't work at all. They do so little in a year we don't really know that they are capable of doing anything.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
It's like they just work for a year to make a playable demo to wow everyone at gamescom with no ability to even consider how they make that into a live game.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Hav posted:

Now, what I'm seeing in the actual streams isn't revolutionary or even that interesting in terms of the client-server model that they have going; they're running into the same problems everyone has, and that's part of the problem. If you're effectively re-treading old ground, why are you not benefiting from everyone else's faceplants? Why does Item2.0 exist? Are they over-abstracting on the basis that Moore's law will overcome the inherent inefficiencies? Because networking isn't advancing at the same speed as GPUs.

Yeah, that's alarming, honestly. I think anyone serious knows the writing on the wall even if they don't say it. Whatever the PU ends up being, it's going to be sub-20 people to an instance tops if they want anything real-time to work. No hand wavey inter-instance combat, they need to bind and gag anyone saying that to the public.

The fact that they are years into this without their networking model locked down hard is so silly it's...well it's exactly right for them.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

To be fair I was unabashed about my intentions to be the absolute bad guy, and basically bring about everything the Goons had done in EVE to this fresh new world of idiots and carebears. I was more infamous than famous. The problem was that the community couldn't handle anything that threatened their fragile mental picture of the game they had invested so much time and energy into loving, and reminding people about core problems like CIG setting expectations and then failing to meet them was about a direct a threat as you can get.

Maybe the thing that makes me the most sad about Star Citizen dying this slow death is that the networking basically makes the dream of a large group of goons griefing a large group of unsuspecting plebs impossible. All I really wanted was to get in on the ground floor of some Eve goon style griefing for the lulz. Chris Roberts has taken that from me.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

HKS posted:

I am not a sad nerd I can see everything because I am everything. Seriously check out my blog posts all the way to 2012. I was arguing with all of you mofos even AP told me to shut up because he was on CIG's side.

Every single sign was there from day 1.

<Internet Warlord Game> "A challenger has appeared!"

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Holy poo poo

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Ben's good for filling airtime by embarrassing himself when their livestreams go off the rails. I imagine Brian Chambers was the Ben this year since Ben can't, you know, see.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Star Citizen: it is just a vehicle to get chris roberts more money

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
These shots from Burn-it-down or whatever would really make you think they did have serious people making progress on poo poo. I think the part that would explain their lack of progress is the part where Crobblers corners one of these poor fucks and resets all their progress to zero because he wants something completely different as of 20 minutes ago.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Bumbler posted:

The Star Citizen subreddit is one of the only subreddits I have seen that tries to hide the ability to arrange the front page by "most controversial"

Yeah is that some cowardly poo poo or what? You can also just uncheck "use subreddit style" to turn off the custom CSS.

With all the CR transcribing, take breaks, call your parents, tell them you love them. Don't gaze too long into the abyss, if you know what I mean.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

SomethingJones posted:

F.E.A.R. has the best combat of any single player shooter I have ever played. Goons were entirely right about this.

2005, gently caress me.

The AI pulls back, flanks, leaps through windows, reacts realistically when hit and does stuff that makes you yell "oh no you didn't just do that"

Modern single player shooters have you tag the AI with big blobs and show them through the walls and then they just walk into your los anyway.

Clearly this was a game built by those <sniff> dreamers

The best part of all that is that the devs said the "flanking" was a pathfinding quirk that they left in the game. Again, something Crobbers would never understand, how an unintended hack turns into genius. To implement flanking in his game, Chris would simulate a military academy.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Wait, "reading" the MREs? Is there something to read on MREs?

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

The Titanic posted:

The directions on how to prepare them are seemingly written by somebody who barely knows how to write directions.

It's like two guys said:
1: So uh how do we cook this stuff?
2: I don't know. I guess you probably want to do this.
1: Got it.. anything else?
2: I don't know. I guess this or something? Maybe put it on like a rock or something? I don't know. Did you write all this down?
1: Yep! Lets print it!

Got it, "ROCK OR SOMETHING" is unequivocally hilarious. There were so many little things wrong with that diagram. In a diagram explicitly pointing to poo poo and telling you what it is, they come out of nowhere with a past participle "inclined" to describe the orientation. It's the wrong word to use, it's in the wrong place and it's function is out of place in the diagram. That's top notch.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Here's the thing, Derek has no more idea 'what's coming next' than anyone else does, he's proven that by being unable to predict anything even though he claims to have sources. He just craves attention.

After reading this article about anonymous sources in the news, I think Derek's output makes more sense. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-anonymous-sources-are-worth-paying-attention-to/

oh and this one

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/when-to-trust-a-story-that-uses-unnamed-sources/

One big takeaway is that predictions from a single anonymous source are usually scuttlebutt. They are easy to make because there is no way to immediately verify a vague prediction. Compared to "this happened" which can be easier to verify or debunk. Basically I think Derek gets a lot of "this might happen" or "we/he/she talked about this" and when you feed that into the Derek Smart signal boost meat grinder the sausage you get is "This is definitely happening!!!!1" If he were a pro journalist, he should probably represent the tips he gets better but he's just a warlord so he doesn't have the luxury of nuance in his daily life.

I don't think he makes this stuff up but I do think he runs with any tip he gets, no matter how unreliable.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

You'd think someone who built this place with his bare hands would know how it works.

You cant handle the truth! Son we live in a world that has games, and those have to be guarded by men with forums accounts. Whose gonna do it you, you lieutenant Beet Wagon? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the goons, and you curse the Battlecruiser devs. You have that luxury, you have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that my refund, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence while grotesque and incomprehensible, to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about parties; you want me on that forum, you need me on that forum! We use words like parp, stimpire, refactoring, We use these words as the backbone of a life spent making fun of something, you use them as a punch line. I have neither the time, nor the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very signal-boost that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a twitter account, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a drat, what you think you are entitled to!

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
- Reticulating splines
- MOONS
- Game

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Wars Galaxies did a remarkable job of it well over 12 years ago. If you had one of the larger ships you could leave the pilot's seat, have others on board who could man turrets, etc. If you had a cruise ship there was actually an observation deck where you could watch other players in their own ships battling through asteroid fields etc.

Since a fully fleshed out game that already had nearly everything Chris Roberts is promising, and the Star Wars IP behind it to boot, was a financial loss in the first year, and a constant drain on a company Sony's size every year it was in operation, then it stands to reason that an unknown hack IP from a washed-up has-been with a non-functioning engine and no overarcing game design should be a going concern indefinitely for a company that's never delivered a game and has no other income stream to rely on.

Boy howdy did they give all that crap they were pitching in SWG a good shot. The fact that there was a mayor skill tree with player cities is, in itself, impressive to me still.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Tippis posted:

I don't know about XW:A, but at least X-Wing and TIE Fighter fans have some kind of updated engine replacement to play with.

But to be honest, and just to be a bit “kids these days” about it, I don't think any of the games in that series could be (re)made and survive these days. Punishingly difficult under the best of circumstances; always designed to be unfair, so those circumstances would never arise; numerous fail-states being added mid-mission and without warning; and often completely obscure bonus objectives — even harder than just the base ones — required to move forward with various side plots.

Without all kinds of pointers and tutorialising and visual feedback, the general gamer of today would just declare the whole thing stupid and impossible, and not even the current faiblesse for “hard games” (your souls-likes and legacy games) would prepare them — those games rely on observation and timing of attacks and counters, and those old games would have none of that nonsense.

Welcome to the Imperial Navy, pilot — here, have a TIE/ln with no shields. Now go take out those half-dozen waves of X/Y-wings and Z-95s.
Good job, pilot, you didn't explode (much). Here, have a TIE Interceptor, now go take out the same half-dozen waves, and also four waves of A-wings (good luck keeping them on-screen for more than 4 frames at a time).
You survived? Nice job. Now take this Gunboat and hunt down the Millennium Falcon. Alive, please. There's a good boy…

It was marvellous, but definitely of a very specific era. :allears:

That's pretty dead-on. I remember I could never complete the training mission in XvT where you have to intercept the incoming proton torpedoes with your concussion missiles, before they take out a Victory-class or something.

Also....how hilarious was it that Victory-Class Star Destroyers were more of a threat because they shot concussion missiles at you and Imperial Star Destroyers couldn't? God drat I hated VSDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Neltharak posted:

Sure ! No idea when i'll be stupid enough to do this again though

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/300839985 < if you missed it and feel like laughing a bit at the game

Watching now.