Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Krycek posted:

Everquest had bartenders and functional elevators in 1999. How is it that gaming legend, Chris fidelity Robert's, 20 years later, can't do either one?

EQ didn't have Chris' ambition and scope creep, so it obviously doesn't count — those hacks stopped thinking up newer and bigger ways of doing it, and just did it and therefore theirs are awful in their working state, whereas Chris' will maybe at some point be slightly better! So there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

If Chris tried to replicate The Thing, he'd probably en up making 2001: A Space Odyssey: The Video: Game:.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

So what do I do now

You create a CNAME that points to this:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDd60_zJAcU

He's not wrong, those X4 ships are drat massive - what's the game like now, worth getting yet?

Coincidentally, the whole point of SC's much-anticipated “object containers”, mega-maps, and localised physics grids is that they, too, section off the world into instances bound together through smoke and mirrors.

The only difference is that Egosoft can make their tech work, whereas CIG cannot.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

It's rude to imply that Chris Roberts is ignorant of technology - after all, he assured us years and years ago that there were already servers at CIG running a full MMO universe background simulation complete with NPC completing missions, bounty hunting, and engaging in the crafting and manufacturing economy and dynamically responding to supply and demand in real time.

Very rude. I mean, just look at [url="https://"https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238#post467004223"]his 1993 statement about the trajectory of hardware[/url]:

Strike Commander manual posted:

Because of the power needed to implement such a 3-D system, nobody had previously dreamed of doing so on a PC. For us to pull off this software, we knew we had to make some risky assumptions. First, that the power-to-price ratio of PCs would continue to decline, thereby delivering affordable PCs of adequate speed to our target market. Second, and more importantly, that the same forces that had created a demand for Wing Commander — those power-hungry 386 owners — would generate a demand for games that exploited the next generation of PCs, the 486.

The 386 came out in 1985. The 486 came out in 1989. Development of Strike Commander began in 1990. The Pentium came out in 1993, as did SC. So yeah, it was a very risky assumption that the power of consumer PCs would skyrocket — who could have guessed that intel would follow their public roadmap? It's definitely a risky assumption that “the next generation, the 486” would have users (since it was the current generation, and everyone knew the next one was a 3-4 years away). And it was definitely risky to assume that the power-to-price ratio would decline, since that would mean that you'd get less and less power for your money, when everyone in the world was working hard (and succeeding in) making the exact opposite to happen.

So yes. It's very rude to imply that for the last quarter century, Chris has been a complete loving idiot who has had his hand on the pulse of technology in much the same way as a metro accident victim has had their hand on the third rail.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Quavers posted:

Super seekret ship revealed :toot:

From SC Leaks Discord. It's called Aegis Nautilus, and almost no-one doesn't think it's a space-mine-layer.

Is that a Gallente Megathron?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

…also, isn't the SC universe created at 1:4 scale to reduce travel times?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sandepande posted:

I find that description of CR unlikely.

Are you sure? Remember what his involvement would mean for the final result, and then remember the current state of SC.
It's more likely that you'd think. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sandepande posted:

Him working 60 to 80 hour weeks. Well, the coding bit as well. Or maybe he got more involved after failing to play his game...

“Working” obviously entails researching things on the internet, and we've all seen his hunt-and-peck typing (and the escapist letter, which apparently took 8 hours), so 60–80 hours seems entirely reasonable for him to be able to complete a StackOverflow search. :eng101:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

…also:
“What framework are they refactoring to?” and “Do you even know what ‘refactoring’ means?”

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Baxta posted:

Stand back boys I will refactor the physics!

code:

#include <stdio.h>

int main () {

/*magic numbers for nostalgia*/
   int currentYear = 2019;

int a = 1;

LOOP:do {

if( a >= currentYear ) {
         /* skip the iteration */
         a = a + 1;
         goto LOOP;
      }

printf("Star Citizen is released!");
      a++;

}while( a <= currentYear );
 	/*Always return zero*/
   return 0;
}

I hate you and everything you stand for.

This may seem like an overreaction to such a short code snippet, but I feel fully justified in feeling this way.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kosumo posted:

What is "won" anyway?

The bad latin spelling contest. It was a close match between him and the “cognito ergo sum” guy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yes, uptime is definitely a wholly irrelevant thing to online anything, and The Cloud©®™ definitely cancels out all uptime considerations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

How the gently caress does a restaraunt run out of potatoes?

– Look, people had paid a lot to come to this event, and you have to give them value for money and not waste it on potatoes.
– But they paid for potat…
– Shut up, “value for money” means giving Chris' handlers hazard pay as he's let loose in free-promise environment, and they're going to need a lot of very stiff drinks to calm their nerves.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I notice there's not one word spoken about the gameplay...

"340 characters" "1255 pages of dialogue" "cast quality to rival Hollywood"

That's how you poorly hype a film, not a game.

It's not even how you poorly hype a film, since it suggests that the film will be 20 hours of dialogue, never mind the actual non-dialogue bits inbetween. I'd be surprised to hear that even two full season of [random Aaron Sorkin show] has that many pages of dialogue…

…and what would the odds be that CRobber follows the standard script format, rather than just free-flow it and cram twice as much gibberish in the same page space?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I suddenly feel an urgent need to post my quasar rant again. :argh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bumble He posted:

why did they not hand out those "vitamins" to them?
should have been included in the goodies bag!

Hey, now, they're not made of money.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

trucutru posted:

Haha, you expect to reach page 6665. Beets plans to close it on 6664, mark my words.

6543 or bust.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dementropy posted:

Just wait until CR has "expanded universe" offerings.

“Until”? Erin seems to be providing this quite well, and they could always bring Ben back.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

To be slightly more nuanced while still retaining the “loving idiots” angle…

It is entirely normal to stagger releases. It's a pretty standard methodology. It's just that, at that point, you're not “working on different versions/patches” but simply working on different components, and whatever is ready for roll-out in any given release window is rolled into that release.

So the loving-idiot-angle is less about version interdependencies as it is about “well duh, this is exactly the same thing you've been doing all along, except you now have 6-month windows to be wrong about rather than 3-month ones… loving idiots.”

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

stinch posted:

what happened to their 24 hours per day development where work would be handed over at the end of a shift to a studio in a different time zone?

Turns out software development is not a remote-controlled automated conveyor-line canned-bean factory.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I'm so confused right now.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

stinch posted:

Bootcha thinks CR lost the car to the dealer somehow, perhaps being tricked into or giving them the title by mistake.

Maybe he forgot that if you use someone's services, you kind of have to pay for them or certain parts of the service contract will kick in…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Better empty out my personal stash, then…

Oh and…

And of course this collection…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I only have my stored copies — not the original.

Tippis posted:

Oh and…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

So it can protect a spherical volume of about 15km radius.

How big are the space stations again?