Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Star Citizen is my favourite non-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So the new Caterpillar looks interesting:

DRAK Caterpillar.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm a stupid PC noob, but what possible reason could anyone have for that setup besides "I have literally nothing and nobody else in my life to spend money on"?

Yeah that's about it. SLI and Crossfire are for chumps with too much money to waste. I bet he's got RAID 0 SSDs too.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A21wxZKiao8

If you meet me online by Grubs Tavern I will show you where the treasure is hidden.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Laopooh posted:

I know it's rude to judge by appearance but these two look like grade A douchebags. Is Forrest the guy mentioned in that one letter by a leaver as the guy 'stomping around in his dad's boots'?

PS someone post 2creatives.jpg

Yeah that's him. Also the same guy who stormed out in a huff only to come back to work when Crobber chased after him and offered more money.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I'm still tickled by the parking sensor. So dumb, so star citizen.

Elite provides a wireframe 3d display showing your alignment and proximity when docking. Star citizen uses a gun sized sensor bolted to your spaceship with the words "parking sensor" printed on it. Parking sensor. On a loving spaceship.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

golf

swing

is

in

By deleting NPCs they are well on their way to getting that 9:1 NPC/player ratio. This is good for star citizen.

Star Citizen: I just want my $3500 video game

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TheAgent posted:

how many days late are they for releasing 2.6 to live now

like didn't their original one say something like 11/22 or whatever

Didn't you hear? Nobody cares about 2.6 anymore, we're all about 3.0. Coming in two weeks.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Derek has tweeted something of substance: Egosoft are working on X4, and appear to have learnt lessons from Rebirth.

Ego are gonna release two space games before Clown imperium manages one.

e: 3 if you count Rebirth VR.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

twintowers.gif

Curse you tiny spaceship.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

A million people have bought it already (no they haven't) so it's going to sell loads!

This motherfucker dumb. He dumb as hell.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

HKS posted:

A single player game that was supposed to come out 2 years ago, has nothing to show except 2 guys talking about a hypothetical game.

"we just need to layer the code on top of our ideas" - Chris Roberts December 2016.

Did he actually say this?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Crobber is a goddamn loving idiot.

"yah we just have to put the code down over the ideas and we're basically done! It's that easy!"

Everyone giving this shower of cunts money is also dumb af.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Erenthal posted:

Crobber is telling us that the 2,8 km long Vandull Kingship will be fully modelled with interiors and being able to explore it.

And really by saying that he's done all the hard work. It's basically 90% finished now, they just need to build the map and layer on the code.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wait wait customer support is now in austin? I thought they moved that to LA. No wonder we havent been seeing the regulars, they are probably being relocated

CS moved to Austin? They're hurting for money bad if that's true.

Maybe they're only shifting a few staff where it makes sense to save on salaries (pay is lower in Austin I assume) but I wonder if this isn't the start of LA closing. Even clown stimperium games could figure out that a very expensive LA office housing some of the most useless dead weight in your organisation could be closed to save a lot of money without impacting the actually important work (what little there is of it so far anyway).

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Rad Russian posted:

Various ship anti theft devices you can install to lower your monthly insurance bills

We've seen their attempt at a parking sensor so I've got an idea what that's going to look like

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

They've dug such a big hole with that lti poo poo they've had to promise anti theft devices to lower insurance costs and sell more jpegs.

Can't get rid of lti, but by retaining it and not having it on every ship you might be putting off potential customers who don't want to pay for a virtual item they could lose permanently. So they need to really press home the message that insurance isn't a big deal while still being able to sell lti pictures for extra cash.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Why is clown stimperium smashing monitors?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

They were right to make that video private. It's loving embarrassing.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Awesome.

Thanks CIG for giving us new gifs and the word 'vandull'. Merry christmas everyone.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Probate everyone who earnestly responds to the zero effort trolling imo

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Their claims of most open development ever ring even more hollow when it turns out they've been working on an engine change for a year. And they announced it on a Friday before Christmas, of all days. CIG should get into politics with tactics like that.

But if you're gonna do an engine change at this point, why swap to another iteration of CryEngine? Is Lumberjack more able to support the kind of huge spaces and number of players they would need to make this pie in the sky game? If not, haven't they just created a lot more work and retained many of the issues that have dogged them so far?

And loving lol at any shitizen that ever tried to defend clown stimperium by bringing up starengine and how it was heavily modified and nothing else would do the job.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

No that's just it, the engine is even less suitable for mmo games.
It evens says so in a picture few posts above.

Isn't it just GameLift that's not suitable for MMOs? They can still use AWS (that's separate from the GameLift feature, no?) or their own servers (but then that's an expensive proposition).

Whatever they choose though, there's still the fact that the networking side of things for the game as proposed is a huge, perhaps insurmountable, problem.

My guess is that the MVP is going to feature standard instancing with a normal number of players at once (24-64). And that would be perfectly sensible, except for the fact they've pre-sold ships on the basis of supporting many crew members and taking part in huge battles.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

GreenElephant posted:

I took a look at the latest .exe and dlls and as far as I can tell (by scanning for strings and function names) there are zero references to Lumberyard specific things being used. No AWS/cloud API stuff, No Geppetto, no GridMate, no "Gems" system. They still seem to use Scaleform for the UI, instead of the thing Lumberyard replaced it with.

They do connect to an Amazon EC2 instance for the actual game, but running an on Amazon server instead of anywhere else doesn't require any special game engine, I mean, an EC2 instance like that can run any php/binaries etc as needed. Maybe the "a year to switch to lumberyard" actually mean "a year to copy our server files to an amazon server and run it from there, for some reason".

I did find a reference to "Lumberyard Settings" in the .exe, maybe something planned for the .cfg file, dunno.

So my guess: Near zero client-side changes have been made, it's primarily a publicity deal with Amazon in exchange for cheaper servers and is being misrepresented as a full code merge.

Question for CIG: What specific features from Lumberyard have been merged with the "StarEngine"?

This effortless code merging strikes me as a proper load of bollocks. I'm not a coder and I'm happy to be schooled on it, but it seems like an impossibility that you could combine lumberyard and whatever cig has crobbled together without any problems. Even if lumberyard is only a tiny bit different, does it really seem likely they just slammed these two branches of ce into each other without any issues (and therefore expended money and resources)?

If they really have been working on it for a year that doesn't suggest smooth sailing.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Pimblor posted:

If you had two codebases, both with the same ancestor, that had both been under active, independent development for more than say, a week. Merging them back together or switching from one to the other would be like, "lol gently caress no, you guys are nuts". I mean, the TFS diff too still freaks out and shits itself if you use ReSharper to clean up a file and merge it in on top of some other guys change. The paid diff/merge tools aren't much better and do wacky poo poo too that requires hours of head scratching and pulling in the guys that made the changes to figure out what really should be in this branch versus that branch.

Even if it did only take two people a day to swap (maybe the same whizz kids who built the space door from a garage door opener?) it's still loving cryengine. It's still a shambling bag of decay chock full of bugs that's totally unsuited to the game they want to make.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Two days for two developers to copy some txt files and add the lumberyard logo to their splash screen? Seems about right for CIG.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

D_Smart posted:

These are all immaterial because what's in the works completely eclipses all of the above (whether true or not).

I know I said December 31st 2012 would be the end of the world but this time it's really happening. All the signs are there. Just wait. Two weeks.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hav posted:

I'm under the impression that Elite does a stripped down version of this, or did.

It does. You can target and destroy components, and some weapons have better hull penetration so are more effective at it. It's not needed on small ships aside from wrecking the cargo bay door to make them spit out whatever they're carrying, but handy against bigger craft as you can cripple essential systems to make them easier to take down.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TheAgent posted:

that looks sick as hell

can't wait for E:D on PS4 because I suck at flying on the PC

You can use a controller to fly on PC too...

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MedicineHut posted:

Interesting analysis posted in that thread: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7435907/#Comment_7435907

Only 6200 backers have played 2.6 Arena Commander Battle Royal mode (most popular). Only 480 of them for more than 2 hours and only 140 of them more than 6 hours so far.

So much for the greatness of the revamped flight model.

Star Marine novelty means 64000 players have tried Last Stand mode of which 5100 have played for more than 2 hours and barely 1000 have played more than 6 hours.

Given MoMA/Toast claims on his time in Star Marine he surely must be top 1% percentile in time played in the community. Way to go Toast. You are one committed citizen, friend.

Moma said he'd played 40 hours but the leaderboard shows the top player is that drunken pua streamer twat with 30 hours.

Moma why you gotta lie, it hurts us bad.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

Prove otherwise big boy.

Hey man, if someone expresses doubt in the idea that you've fallen under the spell of a mushmouthed charlatan to the point you've spunked 8k on a lovely tech demo, you should run with it, because the alternative is you look staggeringly stupid.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Kosumo posted:

No different than CiG and the song Full Burn being in their data (PTU 1.3.0 files) that they released and then them saying "oh, someone must have just put that in there", I mean have they ever come out and claimed they commissioned that song or is it just a random song that they have included in their data that they have released commercially without due credit or money given to the artist?

It's obvious that it IS their song that they commissioned (with backers money) but I don't recall them owning up to it being their property - Once again, another time that Chris Roberts and co have been deceptive.

Have I remembered that right about that song or have I got something wrong in that?

Yeh that's about it. Song was found in SC files and brushed off as something that a developer left in there, even though the band has not yet been identified and its full of shart shitizen references. They definitely commissioned it.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Chin posted:

And if they had done the performance capture after nailing down models and design specifications.

Despite many examples of their incompetence I still can't quite believe clown stimperium games messed up this badly. When did the mocapping start? 2014? And 3 years later not only is there little to no evidence of a game that uses it, they're still building and rebuilding ships and maps and apparently having to do even more mocap to make up for the total lack of planning and forethought. It's a colossal gently caress up and had to be a huge waste of money. Crobber's a loving liability.

Ghostlight posted:

Why would they need an engine suitable for an MMO?

They unironically say things like "best of all possible worlds" and nerds still gave them $140m.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Added another KS success story to go alongside the belt.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

So you're working on How It Works: the 4th stimpire, yeah?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The Titanic posted:

It's like the immersion animations. Sure it's cool two or three times, but after that if it takes longer than 1 second you're mashing the button to skip them.

I've been replaying Far Cry 4 and am so loving bored of seeing the animations for skinning an animal and looting bodies. They only last a second but if there was a dlc that removed them I'd be all over it.

Actually...I've got an idea for star citizen to generate revenue after release*

*will never be released

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

You can in Primal for sure and I'm almost positive four has the option.

Thank gently caress for that.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Excuse me if I don't take your word on what is and isn't funny.

Surfacedetail show us your hairy balls*

*please don't

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

You know what, yeah - kind of. Microshit bought out Freelancer so that could be released, but at least kept him on to consult.

What exactly did Crobber do in his consulting role? What did he actually contribute to the development? Because his credits according to moby are "concept" and "special thanks". Doesn't suggest he had a lot of input.

Traditionally the title of consultant in this context is code for "we booted them out and wanted nothing more to do with them but didn't want to just come out and say it because it might look bad and we still need to make a profit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Moma please answer my question. What precisely did Crobber do as a consultant on Freelancer.