Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Things that were brand new in 2011/12:
I got a little sad realizing Terraria 1.5 and 2 have been in development that long :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

wait who made the album in that analogy

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

I was actually gifted the first XCom remake by a mate and I spent a day with it. When I realised that the aliens didn't actually have a 'turn' but were statically placed until you spotted them, then they came 'to life' I actually uninstalled it.

The whole entire joy of the XCom games is that you place your squad, the enemies are placed, then you take turns in taking control of the game. Why they did it like this I have no idea, it just killed it for me.
That hosed the first one for me but the second one was wacky enough that I wasn't constantly thinking about how diluted it was. It also had a lot more concern about enemy placement and that moment of perfect ambush that made the OG so great.

Though only once per map usually, then you 'broke cover' and blah.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sabreseven posted:

Edit; Why can't they just make a bloody sci fi game, why are they still trying to emulate normal real life things that people play games to take a break from?
Because the vision of sci-fi they have isn't from someone who actually knows anything about sci-fi

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah but at the end of you'll see the cognitive dissonance and sunk cost fallacy collide into such beautiful meltdowns. The reddit posts will be delightful.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

tooterfish posted:

Oh great, the jerk's remaking Terror from the loving Deep.

Like I'm not broken enough.
I've still never eaten lobster

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The movie or the games? Because that's the thing that always baffles me. The franchise that launched this whole thing isn't even uniquely great.

They were just ok games. And a bad movie.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

On the other hand, Dead Space had really great doors as well as several kinds of door like things. And the monsters never got stuck in them!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My favorite thing is just how hilariously huge this whole project has become. I mean you have entire rooms full of people working feverishly on something that is hopelessly hosed. Chris's Magnum Opus is going to be the biggest disappointment in the history of gaming.
I feel like it's not even going to be that. It might make a mark on crowd-funding or early access, though probably not, but mainstream gaming doesn't pay much attention to it, does it? All the hype is completely ridiculous nonsense that anyone sane just rolls their eyes at, all the actual materials are really mediocre.

I feel like in a couple years when you ask your buddy "hey remember that really disappointing space ship game?" they'll probably answer no man's sky if anything.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

tooterfish posted:

Seriously, they just throw this poo poo out there with no intention of following through. They sold a science ship with optional (paid ofc) extra telescopes and biospheres and poo poo years ago now, I don't think they've mentioned it again since the sale.

Star Citizen is a scam.
Is there a list of stuff like this they did? Like what has been promised via jpegs and what they followed up on?

I mean I know it's all a scam I'm just amused at how bad the scam is.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

I can't take it anymore ARGHGHGHRRHGRH :pgabz:
The worst thing is, there's talented artwork going into it (or being ripped off, I don't know), but it's dull and mundane. It makes space look like completely dull rear end poo poo on earth. "Delivering some boxes by hand" like a loving mail truck or "home sweet home" that looks like a shipping container. Stuff you'd see while driving to the office in the morning. The spirit of this space adventure is in space, but it's not adventurous, it's an ad for working on reporting.

See sci-fi through the eyes of a man with no vision and no imagination. Wee. Woo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheAgent posted:

goddammit I forgot the new asscreed game is coming out friday too

gently caress you life

I need more goddamn time
Does it actually look good? It sounded cool but I don't pay attention

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So basically these people are so brainbroke that a singular (?) article besmirched their holy scam//cult two (?) years ago and they're masturbating to fantasies of the legal department eviscerating them and a bunch of people who had nothing to do with it losing their jobs?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mr.Tophat posted:

star citizen turned me into sharp tooth

wait no, I'm that leaf or something

or maybe the terrible sequels?
which one, aren't there like 19 or something

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AutismVaccine posted:

Beginner SA Question:

What does the buddy list do? How to get buddies lol?
They show up in your user control panel and I think you add them in the user you want's profile. You can tell when they're online to poo poo talk them I guess?

I think that's one of those weird features from over a decade ago.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nebiros posted:

Oh hey, the Contact Light from Risk of Rain made it in.
I appreciate someone else pointing out what it was that made my brain tweak at that image.

Thanks.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AbstractNapper posted:

And, I mean, there should be at least some Avocados in that crowd that know exactly the buggy cut down mess that CIG has been able to actually implement out of the 3.0 demo they watched a year and some months ago.
But that's why you run events like this: The dissenting, discerning consumer looks at your seven hours of garbage con and has no interest in going. And people, especially idiots, have no concept of scale. They think a cheering room is a lot of people and imagine themselves as with the crowd.

Calcified is such a great word for these people. They're a sure bet.

And if you're not in their target audience for $850 spaceships you don't even matter. This poo poo is never going to sway you since this really is a dream cult of a magic spaceship man who is going to take you back to all your favorites.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thoatse is a goddamn treasure.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm expecting more they'll go on vacation for two weeks, then return missing a hundred people who decided to voluntarily stay on vacation.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I was going to say I think funmini-games during load times are trademarked or something, but then I remembered this is star citizen so that won't be a problem.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Apparently it expired in 2016. Also I am terrible at remembering the word patent. Or Namco-Bandai.

If you could actually come up with a fun gameplay loop for a space game that happened during loading time (or just travel time) it wouldn't be a bad idea to give traveling some feeling to it.

The poo poo suggested in that thread is nightmarish. For normal people. I wonder if those people wake from dreams of rubbing against non-descript boxes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Because Intel gave them money to shill. Always Be Crobblering!

Isn't the ship just a lazy retooling of mostly existing models?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

XK posted:

The Optane is not an SSD as the market currently understands them. It's a total niche product.

Whatever happened to memristors?
I don't really keep up with SSD tech but I think they promised the world they'd develop this new innovative product and then hit technical limitations they're not able to solve yet so shipped a cut down product that doesn't really do what they set out to do but they need something to show investors instead of calling the entire thing a loss.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wait does that sheet cake have an actual piece of cardboard on it?

They couldn't pay for a properly decorated cake? Did they try to do it in house and couldn't innovate pliable frosting?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

South Carolina Trump Hates makes a salient point: They do look like a cult, enthralled by a magic man promises a thousand hundred ten worlds who can't cut a cake.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

I've been watching them doing it for two years. I know I'm being trolled btw but it's a slow night so what the hell
You're basically engaging in posting entertainment for a crowd cheering for either side. I'm not even sure South Carolina Trump Hats is being serious. It's all pretend but people are still invested.

Some of them literally.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Isn't there sliding in Crysis 2 and parkour like elements, or am I thinking of FEAR, which was released like a million years ago

Chin posted:

It's been established for some time now by Chris that they want to have flight control corridors that restrict where players can fly on populated planets or near population centers. The entire demo was based around doing stuff players aren't even meant to be able to do in the hypothetical game that will never exist.
So not only are they telling people they'll be doing things they can't show yet but they're showing people things they tell them they can't do.

Innovating in the space of bullshots here.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Seriously did someone tip her off to the fact she could make thousands selling jpegs of her space ships and promising to blow their minds later

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Even the scripted first person animations are nauseating. Would love to see the shitizen reaction vids to experiencing those in VR. :allears:

“Please... no more Helmet...” :sadpeanut:
I can just picture the redditors squawking about how sure it sucks but now they can make millions licensing it to dictatorships.

All these poor helmeted North Koreans vomiting and screaming as the high fidelity sales man comes out to pitch them a Pioneer. On loop.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thatguy posted:

:lesnick: * (:burger: + :burger: + :burger: + :burger: + :burger: + :burger: + :burger: + :burger: + :burger: + :burger: + :burger:)
are the pictures of him accurate

like if you GIS ben lesnick you can see a man tripling in size over not that long a period of time

disgusting fat gently caress

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

For your next trick get him to try to demonstrate how anything shown will lead to fun

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

This presentation had nothing. Somehow it's being touted as this rousing success. I'm lost.
The whales never ask "Where is the fun?" or "Where is the gameplay?" As The Titanic said, they're playing a different game than us. They're sinking money to dream about playing their far off dull fever dream, it's not actually about a game they will ever play.

So the video is successful at that, I suppose?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Viscous Soda posted:

You know, this honestly wouldn't bug me if Chris would actually just admit it. You want a universe where "rule of cool" is king, I'm okay with that. I mean look at Star Wars, almost everything it does is scientifically impossible, but it's so much fun you forgive it.

But here in Star Citizen land SC is both the most accurate space sim ever and also at the same time interplanetary space ships move slower then many aircraft and planets are a third the size of the moon.
What exactly causes their obsession with the nitty-gritty? That remains one of the questions reading this thread for a while hasn't answered. Is it just sim grogs camping their forums, did he always intend it? Because while it feels like this game is distant from any warmth or fun, Wing Commander was pretty arcadey and schlocky, and was the cornerstone of the thumb's entire pitch wasn't it?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mrchinchin25 posted:

What will really happen is if it's anywhere passable as a game at release there will be an influx of riffraff hordes charging in to spoil everyone else's game, at the basic level price point, and at this point anyone whose backed previously for a higher amount will be crying into their jpg whiskeys hammering the settings menu looking for the non-existent pvp slider.
As if CIG wouldn't put in a pvp slider that can only be manipulated with swipes of your credit card.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen: What happens when an unopposable thumb meets an irresistible farce
This is very good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Didn't Diablo3 take so long because they shed an entire studio and then began rebuilding the game from the ground up a third time, and the product they put out was only a three or four years of work? And at launch the game was really dreadful and sold only on branding once the massive server issues cleared up?

I mean I know they're stupid wrong but it feels like a uniquely bad example.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

hot balls man no homo posted:

Seeing lots of Blizzcon buzz going through my twitter feed. Like, actually alongside real news. What was the big Citcon release again? It's been a week and I can't recall anything through the haze of blandness. What was the big thing that was supposed to wow us?
Chris Roberts' next directorial blockbuster, space ship like thing flies around other things.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like the idea they're thinking they're sticking it to the warlord with their little sub.

And not that Derek hasn't spent most of his adult life fighting on the internet and trolling for replies from the mentally unwell. They built a loving shrine to him.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thatguy posted:

Their explanation as to why it needs to exist is always funny.
The bit where they built a dumpster fire shrine to archive evidence, then can't produce poo poo from their archive, has such a wonderful parallel to the game that inspired the whole shitpile.

It's like a little star citizen ARG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I wonder if at some point this year the plan was to have a demo reel of a pioneer flying out from whatever the gently caress shipyards look like in this game and soaring through space, landing in some skyrim sized crater. Setting up an outpost on some distant world that begins, I don't know, probably taking slaves from the native space population. Using female androids. That would have sold them in a flash, the whales would be clawing at each other to get out of the room faster.

And they probably ran it past Chris and he didn't want to "direct" that so they had to make his vision of a boring do nothing city and a a space ship that looks like an ibeam and a chocolate cake had a baby.