Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Anybody share this yet? Some interesting quotes from Crobberts out of this interview posted yesterday

http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/development/star-citizens-chris-roberts-talks-community-development-recruitment-and-rel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Long Travel Time Complications

"I do not want a game where everything is handed to me.
You should have to spend time earning your way in the universe. That's the problem with this current generation, they want everything now now now.
The longer travel times will also give people time to go and check the systems on their ships, chill out and Break up the gameplay."

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Does anyone know where I can find data on CIG's burn rate? I remember seeing estimates based on publicly available FTE data.

I would like to build out a forecast for when CIG will run out of money using the burn rate data and the public pledge tracker.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Is Ben ever coming back to Star Citizen?

or did he properly leave the company

Supposedly he still edits some internal webzine for concierge backers. But yes, he did not post anything about Citizen Conned.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Someone on :reddit: made a comment about how FOIP makes Star Citizen seem full of bros with "smiles that you see in american pie" and ShapCap had to come up with a solemn answer.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

A young monk of the Church of Honest Roberts dreams about a snow physics future conjured by the tech wizards at CIG.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Looks like an older Beavis.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Check out the high fidelity AI from the closed testing branch (3.3.5 with Hurston):

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wz449

Why is everything about SC so dumb? :psypop:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

A SC streamer enjoying the beauty of space exploration. Colorized, 2948

Music by Clean Bandit and Sean Paul.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

New survival horror gameplay in Star Citizen from WTFO's livsteam:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ImpossibleTiredBeaverFrankerZ

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Citizen proposes creating a volunteer "celestial body construction" team:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

WTFO contemplates Rex's recent success on today's stream:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObedientDeafDillBrainSlug

He talks a bit about how he is on top of the Star Marine leaderboards and yet he doesn't seem to get the same traction.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObeseWanderingHedgehogTF2John

What he doesn't mention (although he alludes to this indirectly) is that CIG is not in a position to deliver a product that is supportive of a healthy streaming ecosystem. Rex's recent success not withstanding (and we have to see whether it's all organic), all game modes offered by SC (AC, SM, PU) are simply not fit for day to day streaming. All the big SC streamers see a giant spike in viewers when a new release is out and then thing start to decay when everyone realizes that the g0d patch has not landed.

If CIG knew what they were doing, they would either keep AC/SM stable for developing market/mind share and testing new functionality or they would have never developed AC/SM as standalone modules in the first place. As things stand right now now, AC/SM feel like broken "checklist" releases that add nothing to the overall concept.

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 15, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

We have always been at war with ... developing SQ42 ...

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Long term backer mentions that he is losing interest in the project:

In anticipation of "take a break" type replies, backer initiates preliminary defensive maneuver:

Cultist gets triggered and insists on defending m'lady Roberts' honour:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

things that are banned in Rexzilla's pvp fights: railguns, shotguns, grenades, ships shooting and ground, ground shooting at ships, heavy armor. It's too OP otherwise.

I thought it was because all that stuff was buggy?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually, I think kind of a long time. I won't claim to have any great insights into Rex's operation, but a couple things stood out to me after spending a night jumping out of dropships with him. In no particular order:

• The people helping him are incredibly dedicated - I got into game with him, and into ZDF inside about 20 minutes. When I was accepted into the org, I got a congratulatory ping on his twitch stream. This is all in the middle of him streaming to a hojillion people who were also trying to get in game with him. I have no idea if these folks are volunteering their time without hope of compensation or what, but there are at least a handful of very dedicated people helping him make this stuff happen.
  • He comes across as really genuine, with a couple specific axes to grind - Rex is friendly and genuine, even in a discord channel full of random assholes like me who hopped on to play with him. Aside from a couple specific things that seem to set him off (I was surprised to learn several times that NONE OF THIS IS SCRIPTED!) he is incredibly good at his job. And in fairness to him, he is very adept at rolling the things that upset him into glowing support for the game. The aforementioned rants about "scripting" are easily spun into praise for the game giving players the ability to create the very content they want to play.
  • Weirdly, I don't think he's ever actually been exposed to FUD - Whatever you want to call it, I don't think Rex is real familiar with the 'anti-star citizen' content that other streamers have been. I mean, aside from the fact that I got into his game (look, I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but I'm pretty much ban-on-sight for most SC streams at this point), the couple times he brought up talking points countering common complaints, they seemed like... well, talking points. It could just be that he was deftly side-stepping the meat of the criticisms, but I got the sense that actually he was working off the complaints as they have been explained to him. I can't really explain why I felt this way, but there were a bunch of little things (for example, nobody in his group seemed to be aware that CIG is no longer offering to put your name in the game if you subscribe for a year) that made it seem like he was working off a list.

I watch Rex's stream on my second monitor while I am doing stuff and I have to agree with Beet. He seems pretty genuine and likeable. He'll always puts in effort to get people into the game and it seems like he truly wants people to have fun. His personality and approach seem well suited to the streaming game (in context of FPS-like matches). It's a very "American" user experience (aggressive and philosophically dishonest, but high quality of service), but I guess that works for streaming.

On another note, I was watching WTFO's stream earlier today and man did he seem depressed. He was talking about how he had to kill off Path of Exile streaming (which he seemed to enjoy) because of low engagement. I actually feel bad for him. He bet his future on CIG and they hosed him. He can't really switch to another game and Star Marine is simply not ready for streaming at scale.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Moar updates from WTFO's stream:

He was in a pretty depressed mood because of the overall state of his channel. He was complaining about how no one wants to play Star Marine. He said only ~5 people from chat/discord/ WTFO org were interested in playing the game (PU or Star Marine). What surprised me was that he implied that this was only a problem with his channel. I was under the impression that other than Rex, none of the other SC streamers have a real thing going (I could be wrong on this). If anything WTFO seems to be one of the most popular SC streamers after Rex.

One new development was that Twerk seems to have bailed on the Redacted podcast. WTFO was complaining that he couldn't get anyone on tomorrow's Redacted podcast. WTFO didn't elaborate but there seems to be some bad blood between him and Twerk; he said he didn't want to go into details because he was afraid that he would say something that he would regret. I thought WTFO, Twerk and Bored had a thing going ... I guess not.

He was constantly talking about how he wanted ideas for improvement, but he didn't very open to new approaches (although this could be because he gets the same suggestions every day, it's difficult to say).

Seems like the rise of Rex has really hosed up the OG streaming crew, even though their metrics seem pretty "normal" for the current state of the game (i.e. content drought season).

I think WTFO feels chained to SC. He has no other option than to pray and hope that SC eventually explodes and he can capitalize on his position as an OG streamer. That's not a good position to be in. :)

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

Imagine being the person who goes "How will I spend my tuesday evening? I know! I'll watch a depressed ex-pickup artist stream the completely dead, broken MP shooter with 2 levels and 1 character model Star Marine!"

Come on. You're posting on a forum (how old-skul is that?) thread dedicated to crowdfunding drama, don't you see the irony here?

G0RF posted:

I’d be curious to see that comment about the Redacted split. They announced it on the show a couple weeks back and it seemed fairly agreeable.

Twerk’s putting real effort into “Answer the Call” now. It’s a more focused, engaging and frankly more useful show. I think his real life schedule has always been pretty tough. Saurus seems to be living the trust fund kid life and has a lot more free time. So he shouldn’t be too hurt if the guy with less wants to make something that’s truly his own. Plus, with CIG cranking out meager portions of low-effort content, there’s not much for Redacted to talk about.

“Hey, there’s an NPC walking again...” “Yep, looks like that geyser tech is pretty spiffy...”

I imagine Twerk’s streaming audience is a little more engaged and loyal, too. His twitch show tends to be more lively and he has a more personal rapport with his viewers. “Real talk” happens all the time there and he seems to be the preferred stream of some Foundry devs, too.

Saurus at least got a free rig for his troubles. That’s something.

Don't have any clips, but I got the impression something was up from the stream. Could be wrong. :) Looks like the redacted livestream is getting changes to increase engagement.

Requests for "adult entertainment" in SC:

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 28, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

WE TRUST CHRIS!

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

A dynamically generated SP campaign on every planet:

Maybe they can make SQ42 using this system? :smug:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

What spider is that?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

This is actually kind of cool. Reminds of the various glitches that I used to exploit in GTA: Vice City.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Muh Exploration! Such priority!

A Citizen explains what can be done in the 'verse:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

Man why you gotta post that here, now I'm gonna get dogpiled by cultists

My bad, I didn't even notice. Honest! :eek:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Where do these people get their numbers from?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

That's an intense thread. Space JPEGs are a serious business (and it really is, CIG made $200+ M on space JPEGs)!

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

SQ42 is now dependent on server-OCSE-BDSSE-magic.

Using past progress to predict future is not going to work that well anymore.

It genuinely worries me that people eat up Robert's agitprop so easily. It's not even that sophisticated compared to multinational PR or various oligarch clans.

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 7, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

ggangensis posted:

Anyway, anything new in the world of SC? Only thing I watched in the last 2-3 weeks is a 3.5 video from FailureToReport and it seems everything is going as smooth as usual for CIG. When will people finally stop giving them money? For me that whole Star Citizen joke has worn out and I want to see the season finale sooner rather than later. We had paying for jpegs, paying for for space monokels, paying for imaginary land, paying for ship names, Ben Lesnick, killer doors, nightmarish, deskeletized people... I think we really saw it all (well, except for a game, of course) and I want the conclusion. Now :argh:

I would be willing to bet that within ~12 months they are going start selling in-game real estate soon. It's the perfect "upsell/cross-sell" for all the whales. I am sure we'll see lot's of other macrotransactions that haven't even been conceptualized yet (e.g. special quantum fuel that doesn't cause heat issues).

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean they... kinda already did?

I was thinking about condos and stuff... or can you already buy your own private "hab?"

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

WTFO discusses "systems:"

https://clips.twitch.tv/ConsiderateAmazingTrollBCouch

I wonder if he even understands what he was saying, because I don't. :confused:

EDIT: Moar technobabble from WTFO: https://clips.twitch.tv/ConsiderateEndearingAlpacaPlanking

Yeah right. NPC that are indistinguishable from real players via machine learning. We are no where near that point...

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 9, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

Neon green shirt dev literally looks like a 12 year old boy, where are all the experienced people

Have you considered the possibility that his is a 12 year old boy?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

There will 100% be a console release for SQ42 if they are able to survive that long. I wonder how it will impact overall controls, I can't see a transparent way to adapt an allegedly complex "space sim" to controllers.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Muh open development model...

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

By the completion of Star Citizens you will have up to 120 star systems!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAn0dYuwqFw&t=2024s

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

mdxi posted:

Thank you for finally saying this. CIG is not a "$250mil company", because when people say that thing they mean a company with revenue of $250MM per year. Not revenues of $250MM in total, over 8+ years..

To be fair, the exact term would be $450 million dollar company based on $45 mil for 10% valuation (or whatever the exact number was).

I am not saying CIG is actually worth $450 mil, but the valuation is what it is.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

G0RF posted:

Jade Starwatcher posted:

So i had never heard of you or the forum you post on until someone sent me a link where you were talking about me. Then i saw you have become fascinated by the rise of Rexzilla "seemingly out of nowhere." and the Alex Jones-esque conspiracy theories of him being a paid marketer by CIG's due to an investment in marketing Squadron 42.....

Alex Jones-esque conspiracy theories? Wait are we discussing a video game or what's going on here?

G0RF posted:

There are a lot of us and we are a fast growing part of the Star Citizen community.There is growing new guard due to a perfect storm. Some older streamers and backers see any change as scary and this influx of newer, often younger backers is disruptive to what the Star Citizen community has traditionally been since the Kickstarter.

The game has been in development hell for so long that you have a whole generational change before the game is even released? What does it matter if a backer is "old" or "young," CIG is still a lovely incompetent company. New money and "young backers" aren't going to change that. They might be able to continue fleecing whales for years to come (especially with whales having a similar attitude to this woman), but there won't be any real game, be it SQ42 or SC.

G0RF posted:

c) Personality. Sorry but many of the older guard remind me of my dad trying to play games in the way they interact with the audience. Its boring, even when they are doing something midly interesting because they just don't have the energy or hype level Rex does.

I personally dislike the "hype" messaging because it seems like you're trying too hard and you're fake. But that's just me...

G0RF posted:

ZDF as an org is bigger than Rexzilla. It's not just an org, its a movement.

Holy loving god. :reddit: It's a movement....

G0RF posted:

PS: Yes i did buy $10K worth of ships during the height of the cryptocurrency boom the same amount of crypto i used back then is worth about $1500 today.

$10K on JPEGs ... why not spend it on drugs or a super nice vacation or buy 100 cool indie games and put the remaining $7,500 in saving account?

This message really makes me lose faith in humanity. How can anyone buy into such generic corporate agit-prop? Even if you really enjoy something, you should always have a hyper critical attitude to motivation and honesty when it comes to corporate communications and PR. Assuming the most cynical and hosed motivations is the only rational approach.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

I added CliffordakaMiku (SpearmintVR) to my gaming twitter account hoping for some funny Star Citizen drama and instead I got a bunch of dumb animu trash. :psyboom:

Also found this awesome response in a r/pcgaming thread about games without stupid monetization:

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 25, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

The second post has to be satire. It can't be real. :crossarms:

EDIT: This one is even more insane:

I refuse to believe this is not joke.

What has the internet done to our minds? :reddit:

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 5, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

Submarine gameplay is in!

Remember that scene in Wing Commander where they hide in an asteroid and try to not make any noise...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Uncle Derek has a new blog post:

http://dereksmart.com/2019/05/star-citizen-requiem-for-a-dream/

The opening line references the monumental July 2015 blog post that started it all. ;)