Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

:rip: old thread. You were... Well you were a thing that's for sure.

Now let's shitpost this thing all the way back to 6666! I know you can do it, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Estimates on whether we reach 6666 before SA finishes dying off?

It'll be a race between SA and SC. Two shambolic entities, slowly succumbing to their own incompetence.

Gonna be a wild ride, man.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

The idea that people who got their refunds will be incredibly pissed if the game comes out and is good is so loving bizarre.

If you were in for $3000 and got a complete refund, and then two years later the game comes out, CIG will still gladly take your sixty space-bucks. A business isn't going to refuse your money. They're going to want you to pay your money, get into the game, and then spend some more money on other idiotic micro/macro-transactions. And even if they did, all it would take to circumvent their policy is a different credit card and maybe a new e-mail address.

You take your 3 grand out, then pay them 60 bucks once the thing you asked for is done for a net gain of $2940. Why would anyone be mad about that arrangement?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

The Titanic posted:

I really hope some day the backers just explode and demand CIG explain this stuff.

That will be the day the curtain rises though, and instead of a game making master with tremendous skill and talent hiding there with answers and design documents of how everything works, the only thing behind the curtain is Chris Roberts. :sweatdrop:

They can never explain the stuff, though. The whole house of cards is built on selling people their own ideas of how something will be by being as vague as possible and never elaborating on what is actually going to be in the game. CIG can't release anything and keep their backers happy because every backer has a different definition of what's fun and good. There's a reason they're five years in and people have to parse vague clips in years-old interviews to glean a small modicum of information about what's actually going to happen. If they lock in features and let people know, at least half of them will be pissed about what's in it or not.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Two minutes, twenty-nine seconds of video and about 80 frames. I realize some parts are sped up, but Jesus Christ that was hard to watch.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

TheLightPurges posted:

I think even some backers noticed this.

This ATV showing off how early(read: lovely) the animations are reveals that the whole SQ42 2016(especially chris's gamescom interview) was a clear lie. Not optimism, a deliberate misrepresentation of the state of things.

Star Citizen is the Benjamin Button of game development. In four-five years we've gone from incredibly slick trailers of a polished looking product to 6 Poser models dancing like idiots in an untextured hangar. Everything is done completely backwards. If you watched every video in reverse order from now until the start of the project, it would really start looking like SC was coming together and turning into a decent looking game. Do it the other way around and it looks like the wheels falling off a train while it bursts into flames.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm definitely not going to say that critique is bad or should be delivered in the form of a poo poo sandwich. That would be pretty hypocritical of me, since I really rely on it for my work. I just found Miyazaki's delivery to be unusually brutal.

(But also, an MMO's scope is still pretty different from what these guys seem to be doing.)

I went through architecture school, and this delivery is pretty brutal, but pretty common in a design environment. I used to go to presentations and watch this happen like once a month. I've been on the receiving end of it a few times, too, and it sucks exactly as much as you think it does.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Do you feel that this style of, uh, mutual polishing has made you a better designer? I'd expect it would lead people to be more conservative about their projects/proposals, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm saying mutual polishing because I'm assuming some sort of peer review here rather than top down or client contractor unidirectional feedback.

I haven't experienced it that often, but I don't do design, and the occasional screaming fits in my last career were mostly internal clients who didn't understand wage garnishments or employment taxes. It's hard to take that kind of feedback personally! :sun:

It can make you a better designer, and I feel like in my case it did. Sometimes you gently caress up. Sometimes you do it publicly. In my case, it was usually an outside professor who noticed a major oversight and raked me over the coals for it during a presentation.

I think that as long as the criticism is actually valid, like it was in this case, and the person doing the criticism sticks to criticising only the work, then it can still help you. It doesn't help if the guy calls you a motherfucker or insults you, but if you had a bad idea or overlooked a major problem, then you need to be told, and I guarantee that after this happens you will do some self reflection and figure out what happened so that you can never do it again.

I think it can actually work to make you less conservative in a way. Usually that kind of poo poo kicking happens not because you took a risk and failed, but because you overlooked something or were too focused on process or a single idea to the detriment of everything else.

Good designers learn to criticize not only others, but themselves, and they are good at taking criticism. Those guys in the video are heartbroken, but they took it quite well and will learn from this dressing down. Chris Roberts has no one to criticize or edit his ideas, and is incapable of doing it himself, and that's why he's a poo poo designer.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

RagnarokZ posted:

Why the hell are the parking sensors that massive? Is that really needed on something that big?

Everyone knows that as time goes on, technology usually has to become much larger to accommodate slightly better performance. Space ships are no different than computers or cars. My car has a parking sensor and camera in the back and it's no larger than a coin. In 20 years, I'm sure you'll have to drag a trailer around so that the picture can be in HD and the beeps will be twice as loud. It's just how things work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykxMqtuM6Ko

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

... so Ben Lesnick is the best performing person at CIG.

Goddamn. :eyepop:

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well Ray himself responded to my refund request. Their e-commerce team is reviewing the account and will let me know how much they're going to offer.

Did you suggest, "loving all of it"?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I told him that if I did not receive an amount equal to the total value of all the assets in my account (which is less than the total spent) that I would be pursuing every avenue available to me.

Good. It's loving ridiculous that there's even a question that they'll give you back what you're owed. It's like reverse negotiation.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

The list of lies and omissions?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

TheAgent posted:

Lol 3.0 after citcon

From roberts himself

CitCon 2018? They're ahead of schedule when you look at other AAA development cycles, guys.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

mike12345 posted:

nintendo switch exclusive

You use the joycons to wave your hands around while speaking. It's the most fidelitous control system ever conceived.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Slow_Moe posted:

Maybe I'm just being sceptic, but I very much doubt that will happen.

Me either. They'd have to build some kind of game first, and by the time they're done there won't be any consoles left.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Wrong. Have you ever heard of Xbox Game Preview? The equivalent of PC early access? No? look it up and see the number of games (including Elite Dangerous, Everspace etc) which launched there.

I had heard of it. Did I forget about it? gently caress yes.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Sillybones posted:

As if original ideas don't exist. Even just in execution of the same tired old tropes can you demonstrate vision.

Crobbler has an utter lack of vision. His idea for this game is a universe simulator. You can swap him and any teenager ideas guy and get the same result. Vision would have been successfully executing what they pretended were their original plans. Being the worlds shittiest project manager is secondary to the fact: even he has no idea what he is making.

Whoa now, he does have an idea of what he's making. The problem is that it changes every hour or so.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

stinch posted:

Can't wait for the 2 hour power point presentation on the new referral system at citizencon.

I wonder if they'll find someone who can actually pronounce the word "referral" to do the presentation this time.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

TheAgent posted:

are you guys writing to me now

"Officer, I'm scared. They sent me another threatening acrostic!"

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

These are like art. Terrible, childish art. First an acrostic, now a weirdly poetic mis-capitalized rant. Check your mailbox, maybe they sent you a macaroni picture of derek smart.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

TheAgent posted:

I require only the highest level of fidelity from the macaroni

This should be the next mod challenge. Create a highly fidelitous macaroni portrait of our Warlord and Saviour. Sparkles are allowed.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

:classiclol: "God drat, what actually works around here?"
:confused: "Well, the store and the forums work..."
:classiclol: "That's it? We have two things that work?!"
:confused: "Properly? Yes, that's all we got. We're not good at this."
:classiclol: "Well, we're gonna fix that! Fix it real good!"
:confused: "Yeah? You mean... we're going to make something actually work?"
:classiclol: "No, don't be stupid. We're gonna gently caress up the forums."

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

trucutru posted:

He also spent all the presidential election cycle railing against Shillary for being a loving untrustworthy bitch who took what rightfully belonged to Bernie. He just kept posting and posting about why true progressives should not vote for her because she's a crooked politician and then. well, then Trump won. And he was like "holy poo poo! trump won".... and then promptly deleted his twitter account so that people don't find out he spend weeks upon weeks rabidly encouraging people not to vote for Hillary.

I love Brendan. I truly do.

:sad:

He quit Twitter? I didn't know that. I had to put him on ignore during the election because he was constantly making GBS threads up my feed with his inane, poorly worded tweets.

Godspeed Brant.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

D_Smart posted:

WTH?!? HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?!?!

Better get Legal on it right away. They can't profit from your name, your likeness, and your smooth, bold taste!

Lawyer up, K-Mart, it's fuckin' go-time.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

XK posted:

Anyone who wants to get anything out of K-Mart, or Sears, needs to hurry up, because that company is done. Get your Dr. Smart can pronto.

The good doctor is now going to be tied up litigating Beet and Zen Death Robot. If I were Beet I'd have Kayak represent me. How could you possibly not rule in favour of such a good boy?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

XK posted:

Maybe he can hand them a can of Dr. Smart, just like that Pepsi commercial.

Yeah, that ended well for everybody!

Oh drat, the green fog is now lifted. I can see clearly now...

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Gradis posted:

All we have to remember is that there is a little Derek inside all of us.

Ew.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

It's very unlike Derek to tweet like this. He's usually so calm.

The ELE must truly be happening. Stay safe, my friends.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I hope that once they're done they print the schedule, fold it neatly, then seal it in a nice envelope and mail it to five loving years ago.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

D_Smart posted:

:words:
2) The Lily drone project was very delayed.

See Star Citizen's Nov 2014 promised date, and every single missed date since then. As of today, the project is officially 29 months overdue

:words:

Just to put an even finer point on this, the schedule they just put out is supposed to get them to around 3.2 sometime early next year. Pre-alpha 3.2.

Let's be (extremely)generous and say that they don't suffer too many delays and they can get 3.2 out by this time next year. That's the final product 41 months overdue to get to pre-alpha 3.2. Creeping up on 3 years overdue and not even in alpha.

Buy more ships, though, the good stuff is right around the corner everyone!

Edit: I am bad at math.

Natron fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 18, 2017

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

If I were Ben I'd be all about Wing Commander, too.

Imagine meeting your hero and then working for him, only to find out that he's a scammer and a hack. You'd long to relive the nostalgic days when you only knew him by the media he created and the image you made of him in your head.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

Do you have a dossier on me?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

Please stop doxxing me.

Filename should have been "doxxier". An opportunity missed, I suppose.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Just so we're clear, I'm going to be running everyone's posting patterns through a heuristics and pattern recognition algorithm to determine if you are worthy of my respect online in these forums.

This is totally normal and if you think it's weird then you, and not I, are bad and uncool.

I'll have your results in a week after I have fed the relevant information matrices into my federal posting database, de-smegged said database, and then run my holistic heuristic autistic algorithm thoroughly.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Bluegoblin posted:

...are we not as members of this community duty bound to counter them...

Star Citizen... is bad?

*sigh*
*unsheaths katana*

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Would this also not insulate them from having to provide refunds in the end? In the (very unlikely) event that CIG can't pay this loan, the bank takes all their assets and IP to sell off and recoup their losses. The bank wouldn't have to pay any refunds to aggravated backers, as they just own the license now and are first on the list to get their cash out, and anyone dealing with CIG would be told to gently caress themselves as obviously there would be no money left.

Either way, I think we can all agree that this is a good move and is very conducive to finishing the game as promised. It's certainly not a bad sign to have to take a loan to limp along to the next patch in your *pre-alpha*.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Infogrames presents: A Loan in the Dark.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

So, I just want to make sure I'm correct in my understanding here.

CIG has cash thrown at them all the time. People just give them money, and it's not tied up in goods or any kind of commodity really, it's basically just liquid cash.

CIG decides to get an advance on a tax credit which will bring them further liquidity. The tax credit is somewhere between 3-5 million dollars, so they find a bank who will give them this loan, but they need to secure the loan with assets.

Does this mean that CIG doesn't have 3-5 million dollars left without this advance? Does this not also debunk the myth that CIG has a bunch of money tied up in investments? Because if they had the money tied up in stocks or mututal funds or whatever the gently caress, the bank could just use that as collateral, because it would be MUCH easier to get their money from that than from selling off a bunch of loving airplane desks and broken mocap data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

starkebn posted:

I'm the engines that are hot at the intake

When CIG goes under I'm going to buy a bunch of their ship assets and duct tape these far more realistic engines to them so that people can toot around the 'verse.

Bonus gameplay mechanic: You can carry parp cans in your cargo hold and when you run out of air your commando can nipple jet outside and tape new ones on. You can then stow your used cans in your hold to take to a recycling depot, where you will earn a universal recycling deposit of 10UEC.