Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?
One of us...

I have yet to play the game and I've opened up something like 80 booster packs (two boxes plus a few). I blame it on being a die-hard Decipher SW:CCG fan back in the day.

I'm planning on going to the learn to play night tomorrow at one of my local FLGSs. Supposedly they are going to start a tournament circuit there in January, so I'm thinking I'll give that a shot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

uncle blog posted:

What sleeves ya'll using?

Most the serious MTG players I've met seem to think KMC makes the best sleeves with Dragon Shield up there too. The other benefits to KMC sleeves are that they're reasonably priced (~$10 for 100) and work well for double-sleeving if that's your thing.

I grabbed a couple packs since I can't have both my hero and villain decks in the same color sleeves :spergin:

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

pbpancho posted:

I've had no issues with FFG art sleeves, FWIW.

I use FFG sleeves for most non-standard sized cards and haven't had any issues. That said, KMC was both cheaper and better reviewed, so I decided to go that way the last time I needed regular opaque sleeves.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Want:
Poe Dameron 1
Launch Bay 1

Have:
Darth Vader 1
Count Dooku 2

You still looking for a Poe and a Launch Bay? I'd trade the two of them for your extra Vader and two Dookus if that works.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

I guess since everyone else is posting their have/want lists, I might as well put mine up too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AfgMYGSqmBSdbKgczZxffXijkpH8GhitRtK3wZQwB6o/edit?usp=sharing

Anything I have more than two of is up for trade (especially Poe, I gots four of him). Obviously I'm looking to get myself up to 2 on everything.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Deviant posted:

I could use any or all of the following uncommons to fill out my gaps, not sure what you'd want for them though:

2 Willpower
1 Force Strike
1 Underworld Connections
1 Resistance HQ
1 Mind Trick
1 It Binds All Things

Got some rares of yours I could use too:
Sith Holocron
Jango Fett
Tusken Raider (2)
Ackbar (2)
Scout
Survival Gear
Jedi Robes
Outpost
IQA-11 Blaster Rifle
Force Training
Black Market

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eMHzTQ3zz8xNcojcmONq61HcHJWJVsHtrFCW7hQhQVs/edit?usp=sharing
Is me.

I could even use the Poe and the Launch bay, but I'm hesitant to start trading away legendaries this early. Still, let me know if you see something.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing a lot of stuff I need in your list. I could do with these ones:

1x Leia
1x Amidala
1x DH-17 blaster
1x Anticipate
1x Supporting Fire

I know most people like to figure out trades based on value, but I like the idea of 3 common = 1 uncommon, 3 uncommon = 1 rare, 3 rare = 1 legendary, and straight across like for like (e.g. rare for rare). I feel like so many people stress so much about getting their dollars worth on a game that they lose perspective that it is still a game and should be simply for your enjoyment*

Let me know what you want from my 3x+ stock and I'm generally OK with it as long as it's like for like as described above.

* I've been drinking and watching Christmas movies all day, so I've got the whole Christmas spirit thing going on.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Yea I understand not wanting to take the financial side of it too seriously, but you kind of should. Darth Vader or Han Solo can basically get you 2 of other legendarys, 3 of some and at least 4 of one of them. And trading a Commanding Presence for 3 Sith Holocrons isn't fair either. You kind of just have to do it. With commons/uncommons and most rares, its not really a big deal. But its different for super playable rares and legendarys.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge anyone else for doing it that way. From a personal standpoint though, I like to be able to "spread the joy" of playing a good game to other people too. Ultimately, I'm not going to use most anything I have more than two of (except non-unique chars), and would probably just end up giving them away to friends and family because it makes me feel good. Trading for something useful to me is marginally more practical, and while I know I could definitely get a better deal elsewhere, it just isn't worth it from my perspective.

EDIT: also I'm lazy about it and don't want to have to make the effort :P

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

ShowTime posted:

I fully respect that and encourage you to give them to friends and family. But if you do so, don't be upset if some people end up selling off what you gave them. And be careful for people you don't know who are trying to rip you off. I've played these types of games for 20+ years now and know they are out there and are even in this thread. Human nature can be a bitch sometimes and I find it easier to just be cynical and careful.

Yeah, I know what you mean, and obviously there are always exceptions to the rule. Really though, the cards I don't have are pretty much always worth more to me than the ones I have too many of. For instance, I know it's a bad deal on my side, but I would trade a Poe for two Dookus, since I have four Poes and zero Dookus. Looking at the prices on MM or Ebay, I'm totally getting the short end of that stick, but that's OK with me since I'm getting rid of something I don't need for something I do.

When I finally get my 2x of everything, I'm sure I'll start coming at trades from a financial standpoint, but until then.......

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Deviant posted:

I mean, if you're down for straight across trading, then you're asking me for 3 Rares and 2 Uncommons, and I'd trade for say:
Sith Holocron
IQA-11 Blaster Rifle
Jango Fett
2 Willpower

It's a bit biased on my side though, so let me know. Not by much, though, fortunatley IQA-11 isn't a super big ticket rare. Just works well in my trooper deck.

I got a few more packs for X-mas and got another Leia, so that's off my want list now. How about removing Leia, and you get either the Holocron or Jango? I suspect you'll want the holocron, what with it being a fantastic card, though Jango might be more useful if you're not running a force deck.

Let me know and we can figure out the details through PM (if you have plat)

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Deviant posted:

I was really hoping to get ahold of both (working two different deck concepts), is there another rare from my list you'd like?

I could do it if you can give up a copy of Jetpack, Dooku, or Rebel Trooper, but unfortunately I'm not seeing anything more in your 3+ list that would be of any use to me.

In other news, I finally got to play a few rounds of the game yesterday. I used a spectacularly bad hero deck that I threw together against a pretty decent blue villain deck I actually spent some time on. My hero side got decimated.

stoko fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 28, 2016

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

That works for me.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Deviant posted:

Okay, I'll PM you my address and they'll go out ASAP.

Padded envelope and a ziploc with the dice is probably best to ship these?

I was going to put some rigid cardboard in the envelope too, but I'd say that sounds good.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Deviant posted:

Stoko trade report: 10/10, A++++, haunted seller, would trade again.

:3:

Thanks buddy. It looks like your package should be here today too.

I opened up another box last week, and it was probably the best/most productive one I've seen. I pulled Vader, Luke, Han, Phasma, Thermal Detonator, Commanding Presence, and at least one copy of every other rare I didn't have. The only legendaries I pulled that I already had were Vader and Luke, which I'd only had one each of. After a couple trades, the only cards I'm missing from a full 1x set are "Local Garrison" and "Ace in the Hole", which are both uncommons.

I'm going to a local event tonight hoping to trade off a bunch of my stock for whatever's missing from my 2x playset. I'll probably also play a round or two with my far too expensive eVader/Raider and my cheap-rear end eVeers/eJango decks. I'd like to set up a nice fun control or mill deck, but damned if wrecking opponents on turn two isn't satisfying.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

So, how OP is Veers/Jango? Seems like it's the current deck to beat.

It's a big popular deck right now for two major reasons; it does a lot of damage before your opponent can set up defenses and it doesn't need any legendaries to be competitive.
Damage wise, it's similar to eHan/eRey or eVader/Raider, but the fact that it costs a lot less to build makes it a good deck for more casual players.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I plan on seeing if it's the deck that AT-ST finally fits in.

Probably not. AT-ST is simply too expensive for a deck like that. It'd take you a few turns to get up to the production level to throw down a 6 resource support, and by that time the game will either be over, or your opponent will be controlling your hand/resources pretty hardcore. The best you can hope for to get your AT-ST out is for both you and your opponent to be playing burst damage and getting really lovely rolls.

The best use case I've found for AT-ST is in a eFinn/Poe deck, only cause it's fun to discard it and focus to the 6 5 dmg side.

stoko fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 3, 2017

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone have success or fun with eKylo/Darth?

It's fun to throw down a bunch of blue upgrades, but I'd rather go Vader/Trooper/Trooper. Gives you a bit more health to play with, and gets you access to various red abilities and upgrades, while still keeping Vader in there.

I've played eKylo/Vader a few times, and I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to use it effectively. I feel like Kylo kind of needs support from non-blue to be useful, and honestly I still don't think he's really all that good. His special is very temperamental (which I like a lot from a lore perspective), and generally can't be counted on for reliable damage. I think a straight up "Deal 1 damage to target character" special would be more welcome than his look at a card and deal that much damage shtick.
I suppose it might subconsciously push someone into holding onto cheap cards longer than they should, but if they're paying attention to their goal instead of trying to mitigate Kylo, they're probably just going to take the hits and keep going.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Deviant posted:

Stoko trade report: 10/10, A++++, haunted seller, would trade again.

Package received. Everything looks great. Similar feedback as above; haunted et al.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

ShowTime posted:

That little diamond is the unique symbol, which means you can only have 1 of them in play a time (this applies to each player). Luke's Lightsaber is unique, so you can only have 1 in play at a time and your opponent can only have 1 in play at a time.

In addition, you can't have more than two upgrades on a character, so a tri-saber-Luke wouldn't be an option in any case.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

I thought it was three upgrades.

Well poo poo, I apparently read that all wrong. That probably would have changed quite a few decks that I made.

stoko fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 5, 2017

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

canyoneer posted:

I like 3 upgrades. I like the idea that a First Order Stormtrooper is holding a rifle in both hands, hackey-sacking an infantry grenade towards the enemy, and firing off the holdout blaster with their teeth.

Yeah, I feel like kind of a dumbass about that. Three upgrades would have made Holocrons a lot more effective for me :P

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I guess I don't understand business, because if I was Mr. FFG I'd be telling people to sell the product as soon as they get it so my game doesn't crash and burn. It's frustrating to only have four of us able to play right now because nobody can get so much as a starter deck. I hesitate to hype the game up too much because people just laugh at it when they hear it's going to take two more weeks for them to own anything for it.

I was thinking the same thing. I understand they don't like the idea of scalpers taking advantage of people, but I'd bet they are losing more potential customers with a lack of stock than from some jackasses inflating the price.
I get that scalpers are taking potential money away from them, but by having nothing to sell them is even worse cause it just turns people off the game entirely.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

You guys really think there's a this massive number of people that are sitting there going "welp, couldn't buy the game in December, guess I give up and just won't play for ~reasons~ when it's available in January." lol

I'd say it's more people who heard about the game and got really into it, only to find out it was not available and subsequently lose interest. Additionally, the issues with stock now will make people unfamiliar with the TCG lifecycle question whether FFG will be able to keep up with demand for future releases. While we all know this isn't true, it might be an issue for some people.

On top of that, the delay gives people the opportunity to realize that pretty much any TCG is expensive as balls, so they might be less likely to make it an impulse buy.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

brother-joseph posted:

Is it too excessive to buy multiple starters? I was thinking I'd get one of each but theoretically I have 2 already on the way. I keep hearing 2 Reys is a good idea.

Two of each is a good idea if you use a blue deck or are a completionist. Each Rey deck has only one die of both Finn and Force Throw, and the Kylo deck has one Mind Probe. Both Force Throw and Mind Probe are killer cards in the right deck, so they are generally considered worth the cost of the deck by themselves (not to mention they run ~$14 each on the singles market currently). Finn is decent too, though I haven't seem much need to have an elite Finn unless you're just trying to use up excess points you can't put elsewhere.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

I was able to finally make it to a tournament. My eVader/Raider deck came in second out of eight to an ePhasma/Trooper/Trooper, thanks to my inability to roll any damage. Even with my terrible damage rolls, it still came down to the wire; if I'd had ONE more action, Phasma would have been out.

Super fun though. I'm already planning some changes for the next local tournament on Friday.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Is there a reason you're running one nightsister instead of two?

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Ultiville posted:

The ability is good but also a lot of the good blue stuff requires you to have a blue character alive to work. It makes it way less clear that the opponent should just shoot the nightsister.

That's pretty much my entire reason. It also screws with someone playing Dodge against you.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

I played a Dooku/Jabba control deck for the first time at a tournament last night, and got smashed. I'm not sure if the deck was bad, or if it was just a matter of not fitting my play style. I'm leaning toward it being the way I played it though. It could have also been that I just wasn't familiar with what I needed to expect from the deck, but I don't have a lot of people to play test with so that's my defense.

I think I'm going to go to either an eKylo/Vader or back to the nice strong eVader/Raider I used to play.

On the plus side, I opened a single booster and pulled a Han, which also happened to be one of the three cards I needed to complete my 2x playset. All I need now is one Kylo's Saber and one Phasma.

Don't suppose any of you guys want to trade both of those for a Vader, do you?

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Bunch of things because this is such a weird thing to be concerned about

Yeah, I'm confused why people are freaking out about running out of characters. FFG already called out a different subtitle for Vader being a different card, but same character.

On top of that, there are so many other recognizable characters from the movies alone. When you add everything else in the current canon, I don't see them even coming close in the few years, and that doesn't even take into account different titles for existing characters.

Long story short, I think anyone who's complaining about not being able to get main characters later in the game's lifespan is just looking for things to complain about.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Ultiville posted:

My understanding was that unlike WOTC, FFG doesn't own the factories they use. That means they don't set production schedules. Not making enough Awakenings in the first place was certainly a punt, but it's quite possible they were already on the print schedule for set 2 and they have to scramble to get an Awakenings reprint in. Still bad news of course but I'm not sure it's a decision exactly.

That said, set 2 coming out will help at least some. If they print enough (probably they are soliciting pseudo-preorders to try to determine how much that should be), it'll at least let people make decks with available product and might reduce costs on some of the singles.

This is correct. They cannot just call up their printers and say "hey we need more of that thing."

I'd be willing to bet they essentially did that already and that's where we're getting the 3rd and 4th waves of product from. Additionally, I bet it cost them a shitload of money to do it, and ultimately the better portion of consumers wouldn't really care if they were opening packs of Awakenings or SoR, as long as they have something to open.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Well it looks like I really should just sit on all my extras for now. I've got a ton of cards available for trade, including a Vader and a ton of holocrons.

I feel like Holocrons are going to end up the most sought after cards from this set, especially after Force Lightning and all the other force powers that will inevitably be released. I would argue that it's about as overpowered as Black Lotus was in the first sets of Magic. You could legitimately get a Force Lightning rolled out first turn for one resource, leaving you with an extra resource to resolve the 4ranged/1resource side of lightning. In addition, you don't even discard the Holocron, it just goes back to your hand and you play it again.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Any interest in setting up a goon TTS league?

I'd be down. If anyone else is interested, but doesn't have the game yet, Humble Bundle has it for 50% off through tomorrow night.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tabletop-simulator

Unrelated, I can get another box. Should I buy another box? I already have everything I need, but I'd love to trade it into cash toward SoR.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Ultiville posted:

I wonder, for example, if a Rey/Han deck wouldn't be a reasonable place to try to use it.

I was thinking the same thing. It'd be a little harder to start up, but when you start throwing down your ambush upgrades on Rey, all the sudden you get to start rolling out and resolving, while still preventing the opponent from doing anything, like a proper hyperloop.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

canyoneer posted:

An Etsy seller Curled Paw Creatives has a complete set for $20, and has 1,200+ reviews from buyers of that item. They look really nice too, and can be customized.

I picked some of those up with their tournament box. The tokens are really nice, but they are a lot bigger than any of the others I've seen. Personally I like the size, but it is kind of weird at first.

The tournament box is really nice. I put some felt in the lid and now it makes for a very convenient dice rolling tray. I'll throw up some pictures of both when I get home.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Ask me about the 10 boxes I'm sitting on :smaug:

So how about those 10 boxes you're sitting on?

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

canyoneer posted:

They're alright, thanks for asking.

Well that's a relief. I was concerned when you told us to ask about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

I ended up running a Hyperloop based deck last night at a casual league.

It was a poor decision.

I normally play super aggro decks, so my games don't often last longer than 10-15 minutes. The Hyperloop certainly has the potential to be a strong, winning deck, but it takes so loving long that it could never be competitive in a tournament environment. Over the course of two and a half hours, I played three rounds, with no more than five minutes between matches. I won the first two games, but the third one was so grueling I ended up taking a dive at the end so it would finally be over. I could have won by decking him, but I would have felt terrible about it.

What I learned is that running a real hyperloop deck makes you a dick, and I will never do it again.