Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

Seems like a more libertarian way of doing things would be to allow individual store managers free reign. So if a store in Colorado wants to dump the soda aisle because it doesn't make much profit and replace it with a vast selection of skis for the local slope, then he gets to do it. If it doesn't work out, he's fired.

Case in point: The K-Mart in Manhattan has a garden department. Anyone in Manhattan rich enough to have a garden has a gardening service to deal with that. I assume that they just receive a standard shipment for a store their size and have to put it out on sale, because that's policy.

Seems to me that even dumber than having a garden department is having a K-Mart in Manhattan in the first place :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Amazon is good if you know what you want but if you're just looking for a class of product it can be a nightmare. There is such a thing as too much choice.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

OhFunny posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1

A nice informative read on Sears' troubles and the causes.

It's CEO Eddie Lampert is gonna walk away with more money than less despite driving the company into the ground.

I love this quote:

"In an environment where new companies like Uber can raise almost unlimited capital, what are the implications for older companies that are held to a very different standard when it comes to profitability and regulation?" Lampert wrote.

In a way he's not wrong - Uber is losing a heroic amount of money but VC morons can't give them more fast enough because ~disruption~

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

J. Crew seems like one that doesn't go with the others in that list. Although maybe I just see their stores more often than the others.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you want to know something that is not completely depressing that is going on with a dead mall, look no further than what has happened to Southeastern Pennsylvania's Granite Run Mall, currently being repurposed into the Promenade at Granite Run.

Essentially, the mall was shaped like an upside-down Y, with three anchor stores. The mall has gone out of business even though two of its anchor stores are still around. Also there's a stand-alone clothing store and grocery store in the mall complex that are still doing fine. This company is going to bulldoze the mall concourse and retail space that connected the anchor stores together and replace it with parking and go for sort of a mixed-use complex thing with shops and apartments peppered around the overall site.

http://www.delcotimes.com/business/20170107/town-center-to-bring-new-life-at-granite-run-mall

Now I think this sounds awful but I'm not exactly sure why.

There's so much loving parking here.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Don't say this, that's how you get New Yorkers

You know what I haven't seen recently? lovely-rear end roach coaches. Now it's all these fancy, yuppified food trucks where you pay $6 for three tacos or something, instead of the 75 cents each I remember from my youth. What happened to them?

Cities change.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It bums me out that we seemed to stop building nice looking public buildings in like 1950.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I guess the biggest disconnect I have with this is the concept of consumption as competition. Everyone I know even in niche fashion scenes is generally very inclusive, to all appearances. People who do goth stuff for example tend to like their own individual items but a lot of the social aspect is a celebration of the mutual enjoyment of it. More generally, if you get something nice people tend to be happy for you and you would tell them how you got it (cheaply, because you did get it cheaply or you wouldn't have it).

Competitive consumption versus collaborative consumption is strange and kind of detached from retailing as I have experienced it, all the places I've worked and shopped are about getting everyone in to have access to the things on sale, the thing I noticed recently in a lot of the womens' retailers is they have mirrors with some kind of computer in them to take photographs of you in the changing rooms if you want to, it's about getting people to participate and also share that participation with others.

The whole idea of "I can have this but you can't" just... doesn't work in my social circles. I don't know if it's poverty related or not. There's sometimes "I can have this because I got lucky" but flaunting wealth would get you kicked out fairly sharpish because nobody likes a snob. I can't help but feel it's a deeply miserable thing to build social interaction around and it's difficult to jam into your brain that it could be economically sustainable. Though I suppose I shouldn't be terribly surprised that institutional victimization is profitable.

I think the point of all the responses to your post is that this kind of stuff happens in social circles other than yours.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If there's a massive unfilled niche of decent quality clothes at reasonable prices that is just totally open, why isn't anyone trying to fill it?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Because most garment labor is exported to places where the labor is dirt cheap (see: Haiti, Bangladesh, China but it's on the up-and-up so not so much soon). Not to mention private interests lobby governments to ensure that the labor stays dirt cheap as well.

If you want to roll your own you're going to need to change how you source cotton or whatever other fibers you use, how you find labor, all the way down to how you distribute and market your product because the whole industry is an exploitative capitalist race to the bottom.

I know American Apparel tried and went bankrupt but I have no idea what their story was (aside from a bunch of questionable marketing strategies).

Sexual harassment.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What about Filson? Is that too niche for this discussion?

I wish they sold clothes in colors other than brown.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

Does anywhere have progressive property taxes? I.e. a "standard deduction" of the first 500sqft then rates tick up from there

In other news I'm at Applebees right now. Had a BOGO entree coupon expiring today and I'm sucking down dollar PBRs :smugdog:

A lot of places have exemptions for primary residences but they can be either a flat amount (first $10,000 of value exempted, say) or percentage (5% of value exempted). In the reverse of income tax, the flat exemption is more progressive than the percentage exemption. 5% of a $5 million house is a lot more than $10,000, and $10,000 matters more to someone with a $100,000 house than 5%.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

If the most meaningful and fun thing you can think of to do with someone else is buy things you don't need it might be you who is the goony gently caress.

Sometimes it seems like y'all could never enjoy any retail experience, ever.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

It's true, I don't loving LOVE shopping for groceries to the point that I object to people doing it any other way.

It seems like everyone itt objects very loudly to people enjoying shopping!

But also at the same time, here are all my ideas about how retail should be better:

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 14, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TBH I hate shopping for clothes on Amazon because there is too much choice.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sprawl is caused by zoning in a way, but the cause is the overly restrictive zoning in central cities that makes sprawl development cheaper by comparison. Why bother with three years of permitting when you can put down a new subdivision on greenfield in less time for similar profit?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Because were ten times the size of any other country? Der?

The whole great things about suburbs and why people buy them is the value even if cheap. Mortgage tax benefits. You're never going to give that to renters. Property Value rise which increases the wealth of middle class families. These are good things. You try to argue they're not. Good luck trying to find a way to give property value wealth growth or rent tax benefits to people living in apartments in NYC.

I mean you could easily pass a law creating an exemption similar to the mortgage interest deduction that applies to rent. I think some states have that for their state income tax. We just don't because renters have no political power as a class. It's not like it's forbidden or not possible in an administrative sense.

The rest of your post touches on the pernicious and destructive view of housing as investment, which is what causes so many of our problems today. Ideally people could come to see housing as another asset that depreciates rather than the only good on the planet that's destined to appreciate forever.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Did someone really buy an account so they could complain about Pitchfork liking black music too much in the retail thread

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

I don't have problem with black music. If Pitchfork wanted to promote little known hip hop artists that's fine. They have to some extent with The Weeknd, Danny Brown, Death Grips, and Lil B.

I have a problem with Pitchfork following along and copying what every other magazine is doing just to make themselves look cool and ignoring the rest of the other genres while doing so.

They just gave the new Lorde album a 9.2 despite not giving a rock album a ranking like that in years - which kind of cements my point. They have abandoned the people they claim to serve.

This, truly, is why Trump won

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

"Reducing parking minimums is anti-poor people" is definitely a new one for me. I can't wait til the rich white homeowners who complain the most about parking in my city get ahold of it!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

No one uses public transit in the US because it's poorly run and it's poorly run because no one uses it, basically. There are only a few cities that have organized transit rider lobby groups. There's no political value in improving public transit, especially for state-level politicians.

E: it doesn't help that in a lot of cases (most?) transit agencies are separate entities from municipal governments. Their boards are appointed by the various City Councils that make up the service area of the transit agency, so it's really hard for users to pressure the leadership or management of the agency. I doubt any City Council member has ever lost their seat because of how they voted on transit agency board appointments.

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 8, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Anyone know why there are so many storage facilities these days? People accumulating more than their house can hold, but dont want to part?

In my city storage is seen as an easy thing to do with the land while you wait for the value to go up or work on planning permissions. Apparently they're easy to tear down.

Also a lot of the lovely NIMBY types have fought against proposed apartment developments on major corridors that were then turned into storage instead ("Much less traffic than new condos!").

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cheesus posted:

If it were immune to shenanigans, sure.

But the Federal government has been borrowing from the Social Security for decades (because the alternative is a non-starter) and the reason why its brought up in terms of raising the retirement age or other such bullshit in budgetary talks is to delay or reduce the payments the government needs to pay back into the fund.

The ability to add more to that would just accelerate the abuse currently being inflicted upon it.

That's not why the fund is going to run out. It's because there will be too many people pulling out and not enough people paying in. The federal government might borrow from the fund, meaning they also pay it back.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Nah, gently caress that mindset. I'm in St. Pete, FL and it's a pretty nice blue area, with craft bars and hipster hangouts and all the signifiers of "worth living in" for Millennials. There's nice enough cities all over the place, it doesn't just have to be LA/SF/NYC.

I think his point is that many many other people do not agree with you, not that LA/SF/NYC are in fact the only places worth living.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

boner confessor posted:

i think we're all in agreement that many american cities are worth living in or around

Yes but not [city that many people like to live in] because of [contrarian reason]

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Traveling in all forms has definitely become more fashionable than ever. I have former classmates from college who despite working service or entry-level office positions spend the entire summer flying around the globe for seemingly no other reason than to fill up their Facebook feeds. gently caress the environment I guess. :v:

I mean, they might do it because they enjoy travel.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's been explored in other threads, but simply that naturally formed communities barely exist any more, especially among the young. There's no point getting to know your neighbours because chances are they'll be gone in a few years. All the social groups that older generations took for granted don't exist for the young, between the irrelevance of religion, disintegration of neighbourhoods, and atomisation of the personal identity.

This is the kind of alienation that the alt-right rose out of.

What counts as "naturally formed"?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I don't particularly care whether the tax is included or not but I'm totally baffled as to why everyone thinks it's such a huge problem that it isn't.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has someone ITT literally pulled out their phone to calculate the post tax price or their items when they went to the grocery store or something? That seems insane.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

boner confessor posted:

this is probably because of secondhand stores. babies and young children grow out of shoes and clothes so quickly that you can get very lightly used stuff at thrift stores or even from people you know who have boxes of that poo poo sitting around in their house. every couple months my wife takes a box of stuff to the local thrift store and swaps it out for the next size up

Thrift stores aren't a new thing though. Why is this happening now?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

No one in this thread can ever agree upon who they mean when they say "rich." Lots of people who make above-average household incomes are perfectly comfortable with second-hand children's gear, and even use it as a status symbol in subcultures where belonging to the local wealthy-neighborhood parenting group is a big deal. In places like Manhattan you can find literal billionaires participating in kid gear swaps. Not every rich person is a paranoid nouveau-riche tackmonster leaving the price tags on everything.

A rich person is someone whose consumption patterns I disapprove of.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Same, but also the taxes have gone up 60%

unless they're taxing your house at 100% i have little sympathy, bourgeois scum

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think I've said it before itt but Amazon is a pretty good demonstration of the fact that there is such a thing as too much choice.

fishmech posted:

Ok so you want stores to do what they always do with merchandise positioning in stores.

And there's pretty much always gradual changes in any store that hasn't run into a sudden financial crisis.

So... stores already do what you want. I'm not sure what you want to change? The only stuff you propose as a change was stuff that was buying into the idealized small town commercial district that never existed. And a vague complaint about stores looking too "drab" and "generic" but that's how stores have been all over time, just what's drab and generic in another decade will look different to today's.

TBF stores from the 1890s or whatever probably did look generic at the time, but people think they look cool now so I can see how someone would think that older stores were also thought to look cool at the time.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Does anyone like retail tho? Not it's workers

Depends on what you mean by liking retail. Not everyone prefers being waterboarded to shopping, despite what the thread consensus might lead you to believe!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Haifisch posted:

All shopping is bad. Retail has poor selection and is usually overpriced for the quality, online shopping makes you play the "will the package be left in the hallway for anyone to steal? Will I have to pick it up from the post office? Will they actually manage to deliver it normally?" dance.

It's telling that for as hard as Amazon's been trying to lock down their shipping game, they won it by letting you go 'gently caress this' and having them deliver your stuff to a secure locker.

Counterpoint: not all shopping is bad, and many stores often have what I need

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

We are all adults here, I think everyone can agree that Walmart is for poors and the untermensch... Now target, on the other hand, there is a great retail store!

I thought only anti-social morons left their house to shop?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I see we've reached the "anyone who goes to a physical store to buy anything is abnormal" part of the thread cycle.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nordstrom Rack is like 90% garbage

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That sounds like the D&D system mastery thing where they intentionally design bad skills and feats to trick dumb people into taking them because it makes "smart people" that know better like the game better. Like making two skills that raise HP but making one sound good and be bad and one sound bad and be good so you have to be "in the know" to pick the right one.

Is it that hard to read a store map?

Also I've been considering buying something from one of Amazon's new furniture brands but it doesn't have any reviews on it yet so I'm hesitant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This is something I see come up sometimes when people discuss manufacturing jobs. A lot of people (including reporters, unfortunately) make it seem like the loss of manufacturing jobs is bad because they are manufacturing jobs rather than because manufacturing had high unionization rates and therefore better pay and benefits.

Retail jobs are only “bad jobs” because we allow them to be, they are not inherently worse than working in a steel mill or something.