Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
here op, let me translate those questions to how you were supposed to have understood them:

Bloody posted:

moron recruiter: hurr, do a fizzbuzz (no change, you just have to do it. what, can't you?)

nerdlord phone screener: please describe to me the inevitable time where you confused the C static storage class with static variable lifetime. barring this, please demonstrate that you are familiar with the "static" keyword outside of "public static void main" in java

on-site interviewer: show me you've read our website and actually know what the company does, so we know you give even a fraction of a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

The Management posted:

I've done this successfully and know others who have.

i guess nobody really wanted to retain Boiled Water

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i would rather be waterboarded than whiteboarded

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

why do govt jobs do them? i know 'lol govt' but i 'm genuinely curious if there's more than that

the polygraph machine is just a distraction. the real test is whether your interviewer is satisfied that you've told him everything that could possibly compromise you. if he thinks you haven't, then he gets to say your poly was inconclusive, and you have to do it again and again until he is satisfied

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
which private address space is better for what? what the gently caress does that question even mean

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
job searching is not that hard if you're good and white and male and straight and young

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Share Bear posted:

no thats the center and the right

in america we call the center the left, aren't you paying any attention

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

echinopsis posted:

and mates.. get on tinder and snapchat.. the ladies will respond well and give your ego a boost. remember most people are average and youre probably above average.

we're talking about salary, not physical fitness, right?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
nbsd you don't understand, it can't be a numbers game. i'm a unicorn 10x developer, and companies are hiring me for the particular set of skills that only i possess, and i alone can fix their problems. my career success is due entirely to my own effort, there is no random component involved, i am just that good and they can totally tell from the interview. therefore any failures i experience are legitimate rejections of my deepest self, they cannot simply be brushed off, i have been deemed meritocratically unworthy. why else do you think i don't have a girlfriend, and i believe i can do everyone else's job better than them, and i won't join a union, and and and

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

mishaq posted:

lol if every job youve ever had wasnt obtained via gross nepotism/cronyism

so basically, lol if you're not white, or at least from an upper-middle-class business-owning immigrant family

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i lived in the dc metro area for 10 years. don't do a dc. it is not cool or good.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

im excited about doing golang stuff ... but maybe it's bad for some reason

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Rex-Goliath posted:

nope. i think it was glassdoor or someone like that but they did a survey and found that generally the sweet spot for happiness & compensation & all the rest is generally at the mid-size company level. small enough so that you don't disappear into corporate ennui but big enough that they actually make money and the life of the company won't be in your hands on a daily basis

mid-size companies are great, especially if they aren't household names and their industry is just "necessary business poo poo" rather than something inherently exciting

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

:yeah: i really just want to work on mediocre business poo poo!

the best thing about programming is that it's distilled problem solving, so it's satisfying at a nerdy technical level even when the subject matter is mundane. if you don't agree then how did you manage to get through school?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol at needing 4500-7500 hours of pm work to be a pmp

pmpin ain't easy but it's necessary

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

jony neuemonic posted:

any recommendations for targeting large companies? or is it just hit their careers page and hope?

know someone who already works there to get you past HR

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

The Management posted:

any decent programmer should be able to write a simple function on a whiteboard in a language they know well. yes, it is challenging to write in a whiteboard, and you shouldn't be doing something that takes a ton of code or a bunch of convoluted logic, it should be very straight forward.

implement atoi(), for example, without any library functions.

no.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i will never ask candidates to write code on a whiteboard. not only because high-pressure whiteboarding is a terrible approximation of real development work, but more importantly because the entire style of quiz-question interviewing is bankrupt and useless

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
that was almost fishmech-like, how you addressed the assumed implication of a tiny part of my post, rather than the actual point therein

i don't care if your quiz is "fair", i'm saying your entire methodology of interviewing is wrong

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

The Management posted:

okay, let me address your main point:
writing on a whiteboard is a communication and presentation exercise. the point is to convey how you approach problems and reason about them and if you can explain that to the interviewer. it is a discussion. the resulting code is a collaboration derived from the interviewee gathering requirements and feedback from on their approach.

if I just wanted them to bang out something, it would be much faster on keyboard and it would also tell me very little about them.

alright, well i understand where you're coming from. i'm about to do what i just yelled at you for, and focus on a single word of your post. i'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, i could address some of the points you brought up because i partly agree and partly disagree... but really what i'm trying to get at is captured in one word that you used: "exercise"

i don't make interviewees do exercises of any kind. i talk to them like human beings. i read their resume, which is relevant to the job description or it wouldn't have gotten this far, and i ask them questions about the projects they've worked on in the past. i might present a related issue that we've encountered and see how they would have tackled it. i'm interested in their personality, work style, approach to problem solving, etc. just as you are. i find that this tests communication and presentation skills thoroughly. i can tell if they're bullshitting. can't you?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lmfao who the gently caress can save 20k? lmfao if you didnt sell your soul to fannie mae for the rest of time just to get into your 5th pick school for your worthless degree.

if you work as a developer and you can't save 20k then your expenses are too high, stop that

i know you're gonna say "uhh dude i don't make nearly as much money as you think i do" but that's because your company is loving you, not because the expectation is unreasonable

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
ah alright that makes sense. well i'm glad you are in a better position now :) and soon your thoughts will be more like "lol who can save 20k? oh yeah, me, right now, gently caress yeah"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you are supposed to spend your time in that professor's class figuring out how he asks questions and what kinds of answers he's looking for

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Munkeymon posted:

SELECT TOP 10 * FROM Employees ORDER BY Compensation DESC

Syntax error try again:

SELECT * FROM employees ORDER BY compensation DESC LIMIT 10

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

LinYutang posted:

talked with a guy who said he was having trouble recruiting engineers onto his team

5 minutes into the conversation he mentions "oh yeah, we drug test every month" 👌

name and shame

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm getting supergood at sql because that's what I do at my job all day basically. At least databases won't be one of those topics that I have to pretend to have a clue about anymore.

It's pretty great isn't it?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Symbolic Butt posted:

yeah, I'm still getting the hang of interpreting EXPLAIN ANALYZE and that's where the idea of using a subquery came from.

but it's not like it tells me why it decided to do this thing instead of the other thing that I expected. it just says it did the thing.

here is basically what it does. all queries break down into certain steps, following the sql order of execution: read some sources of data (usually tables), combine them together with joins, group and sort if necessary, then project out the columns you selected. but your query doesn't say exactly how to compute the answer, it's more declarative. at each step the db has many choices. when reading data from a table it could do a seq scan, or an index scan, or maybe a bitmap index scan, or even some type of parallel scan. to join it could use hash tables, merge joins, nested loops. grouping and sorting can be done many ways too, and different choices are appropriate for different scenarios. even across queries with the same structure, different parameter values could change the plan, you can't tell just by looking at the query.

to figure out the best execution plan, the planner keeps track of some data statistics for table columns. like it knows % of null, distinct value count, most common values, etc. see the pg_stats view. these stats get populated and updated by the analyze command. there are also some baseline constants that define the relative cost of low level operations, e.g. seq_page_cost is the cost to read a page in a seq scan and defaults to 1. compare with cpu_index_tuple_cost which is 0.005. these are the "units" you see in the explain estimate. so for each node of your query, the planner basically enumerates all possible choices and calculates how much it thinks they will cost according to its estimates, then picks the one with lowest cost. but the choice for one node can affect the choice for other nodes, so with a large query the search space of possible plans is huge and not feasible to explore entirely. to help, the planner has lots of built-in heuristics so it doesn't explore paths that are obviously dead ends. because remember, it has to do this for every single query, before the query can run! (unless you use prepared queries to cache the plan.) it has only a few milliseconds to do all this work.

sql query execution engines are a seriously dark art and it's a big part of the reason why oracle is still worth money and (in my experience) handles lovely queries better than postgres does. you can't directly tell postgres how to execute a query, but you can disable certain types of plan node choices if you think there's a problem with them (see enable_seqscan and friends) or adjust the cost settings to more accurately reflect your hardware. but unless you really know what you're doing, the best option is generally to try and rewrite the query, combined with staring at the explain output to see what the planner was unable to figure out how to do efficiently. i've been doing a lot of this for the past year or so, and i find it really enjoyable actually :)

JewKiller 3000 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 28, 2017

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
here is my secret to project planning as a small team tech lead: never give or accept an estimate any lower than the time it would take for you to just do the entire thing yourself

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
sorry i believe you've misposted, this is the computer janitors forum, the only tipchat we like here is complaining about paying them

however i am 31 so i appreciate the ego boost

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
5-10% is not worth switching jobs for unless you're already unhappy and looking anyway. i'm good at my job and people respect me and let me do basically whatever i want, but i had to work hard to establish that position when i joined, and i'm not looking to restart that process with another employer unless we're talking 25%+ more money

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
sorry, we don't need more managers

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if you have credit card debt you are loving up at life hth

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Cocoa Crispies posted:

get good at sql

i highly recommend this course of action and can personally assure you that it is both Cool and Good

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

carry on then posted:

why the gently caress is ignorance a point of pride?

it's ok, this helps us filter. just smile and nod and quietly move to "do not hire" pile

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
it's actually an interview strategy that many companies will even suggest you use. instead of standing there thinking silently about the problem, trying to come up with a perfect solution, just start prototyping a brute force algorithm immediately and get something on the whiteboard so the interviewer knows you can code and doesn't doze off. then you'll have his attention as he points out the complexity and you get to demonstrate that you know how to optimize too

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
here's the secret about everyone who succeeds in tech without a degree: they're all white :ssh:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

hifi posted:

i think they're all sociopath hucksters

that's what i said

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Symbolic Butt posted:

one of them is not white :shobon:

is he asian but raised in america and with no noticeable accent?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
don't quote stymie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

alright, im workshopping my counteroffer now. the initial offer won't let me break even given housing costs out there and im working out a way to phrase that that isn't whiny. ive been reading articles all day but if there's any good ones people like pls link them.

If you're moving to the Bay Area then I suggest you lower your housing quality expectations. No matter how much money you get, you're never gonna be living in the type of place that you feel you should be at that income level. It's a common mistake people make coming out here: their compensation is huge for any other part of the country, but lots of people here make more and there's not enough housing to go around so anything you'd consider desirable is already rented for more than you can afford. Get used to the idea of lovely apartments and look forward instead to filling them with nice things, because that's the standard of living here unless you have a million dollars in your investment accounts

• Locked thread