Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
holy lmao

quote:

The following information will be collected during the duration of the exam:
  • Your microphone
  • Your webcam
  • Your physical location
  • Your clipboard
  • Your mouse location
  • Your browser size
  • Your browser tabs and windows
  • Your head movements
  • Your eye movements
  • Your mouth movements
  • Your entire screen
  • Any website you visit
  • Any other applications running
  • Number of display screens connected
imagine trying to hire someone without knowing all of their eye movements during the exam. how could you possibly vet candidates without that information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

does it? i'm not gonna do a "four hour" project for free.
on one hand it's likely to be truer to your work than whiteboarding and doesn't pretend that resources don't exist, which is good. on the other hand, it looks to be the equivalent to a phone screen, but a way higher time investment on your end, considering it's the first filter you're hitting

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dongslayer. posted:

this thread stresses me the gently caress out
this thread makes me want to get back into doing interview loops to get more familiar with being on that side of it

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
who needs a minimum wage when Walmart can pay people in Walbux company scrip by 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

poty posted:

yesterday i did *thing i explain is so much detail nobody can hope to understand it*. today ill fix some pending open issues with it. toodles
we had a meeting about meetings and one of the concerns brought up was that stand up very often derailed into tangents that at most 2 people cared about. nowadays we don't do much beyond "I'm working on X component of Y project" and it cut standup from 15 minutes to around 3

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

leper khan posted:

oh wow a successful meeting and actual standups

Captain Foo posted:

I cannot believe this actually happens
it is a miracle and I cough "take it offline" every once in a while and people mostly stay on track, it's great

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

lancemantis posted:

plz post them

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
company's mission: make money
company's value: the amount of money they have made

some of those questions I would probably have decent answers for, but some of them I'd probably blank as I tried to think of an answer that sounded positive

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I wish I hadn't picked an apartment building that has a gym in it because it's making me sufficiently complacent to not track down an actual gym. the one in my apartment building isn't terrible, but I'm really starting to feel the things it's missing

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Blockade posted:

I got put in charge of doing the technical interview for some interns despite having zero experience doing interviews. What are some good questions to ask to see if someone is capable of self-teaching? eg. if something requires we use Ruby, Im hoping they can go online, find some pdfs/youtube videos/etc on ruby and get themselves up to a basic level without much input from me.

We expect intern candidates to only have sophomore generic programming and reasoning ability and no prior experience.
on-site or phone?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

maniacdevnull posted:

tho i have found that making nice with the pms who Get It is starting to help in this regard
what do you do if they transfer to other orgs :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Devonaut posted:

are figgies on a log scale?
they're on a ln scale, times are tough

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dr. Honked posted:

links pls what the gently caress even is a 10x dev
a dev that is productive as 10 normal devs put together

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

When you put it that way it's a p low bar
I could probably name ten devs for which zero devs are more productive than all of them put together

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Luigi Thirty posted:

is it suck start a shotgun or suck off a shotgun?

also I guess I'll keep y'all updated on my quest to end funemployment
suck start, I think

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 6, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Progressive JPEG posted:

no i mean

vs

%
I've heard they're next to each other on a particular android keyboard but 1) can't confirm, 2) idk if it's the case here

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 7, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
someone contacted me with one of my college-era resumes and asked me to update the resume they had on file, and I said sure and immediately forgot. like a month later he emailed me asking about it and I forgot again and now it's been too long for me to do anything or care

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

LinYutang posted:

That comic of programmers getting more slovenly as they get more employed
I wore a polo shirt and jeans for a while and the first time I wore a t-shirt my manager commented on it. now all I wear is t-shirts and jeans because who cares

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

both are essential infrastructure
I walk to work, some of my coworkers bike, bus, or drive to work. we all use the bathrooms. a better analogy would be something like having glasses covered in the company health plan, or covering daycare or something. bathrooms are something that everyone uses

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

in my example only 1% of the employees need the ladies bathrooms. how is that not the same as 1% needing parking spots?
for one thing, companies are legally required to provide bathrooms. that aside, it's hardly the same. going to the bathroom is something that everyone fundamentally needs to do. providing bathrooms for women is not a bonus (like free parking would be), because everyone goes to the bathroom. for parking spaces, the 99% aren't just using a different kind of parking space, they're using nothing at all. your argument is contingent on women's bathroom : men's bathroom :: parking space : nothing

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 2, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Management posted:

drat, shaggar was so right. after I said no to 8am I got this.
I've done interviews at 8:30am which I was mad about, but fuckin lol at doing an interview at 8pm

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I use the law of "salaried employees don't get overtime" and it sucks

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if you're salaried and you can't get comp time (even if unofficial) it's time to get a new fuckin' job
if we can get official comp time I don't know how, which is super lame

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 5, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
no weak nerds here, gotta be hale and hearty to touch these computers

if you aren't pissing hot for steroids, no offer

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
last performance review I got an exceptional review and a junk% raise, so I'm real excited to see what I get this year

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 6, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dislike button posted:

if you think only getting a 4% raise is bad you should try working for the federal government
don't they still give pensions?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bloody posted:

epic thissery
thirding, my options were 1) pile of money, or 2) small pile of money and they move all my stuff. they hooked me up with a local realtor-type person and flew me out before I started to look at apartments, and iirc were willing to either put me up in an extended stay for a month or pay a month's worth of rent

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DuckConference posted:

a guy asked for salary right during the first interview, which I wasn't expected. I rambled a bit but he wanted a number (he's clearly done this more times than I have) so I just blurted out my current salary + 15% as what I make now.
was this with a manager or HR person? I'm just imagining a random dev being like "so what do you make" as a really bad icebreaker

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dalris Othaine posted:

i am a nerdgoon who'll have a CS degree in a year or two, I went back for my Bachelor's after the existential horror of interviews/contract work. is there any advice that the masses of :yosbutt: can provide?
answer every question in an interview with "hashmap," even if it doesn't seem like it's a coding question. it's probably hashmaps anyway

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

OldAlias posted:

they're good, but be able to regurgitate some implementation details. if the interview is bs cs trivia hour they might whinge about collisions in a theoretical worst case
yeah, I did an interview where someone with 10+ years of developing experience was passingly familiar with hashmaps (didn't fully realize a python dictionary was a hashmap, even though it was his primary language) and thought that basically every operation on it was O(n), even in the best case

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'd accept something like "the only thing i know is that dictionaries are fast as poo poo"
unfortunately that still would have been more than I got

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FMguru posted:

this is rule #1 of in person interviews - bring multiple copies of your resume/cv with you (along with a pad of paper and a nice pen, in one of those professional looking padded folio things)
if I'm sitting in a room with someone I've already read their resume, and if they hand me a paper copy it's going right into the recycling bin once I shake their hand and leave the room

cis autodrag posted:

i accepted the offer.
grats!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

jre posted:

Same but I've not read it.
as long as it's one page I'll give it a skim. at minimum just to see what languages I can expect them to use

if it's longer than one page it better be a god drat amazing resume

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

like an interview for basically any other kind of job?
in the thread about interviewing for programming jobs, do you think the majority have interviewed for other kinds of jobs

I interviewed for service jobs in high school where the interview process was "show up and be able to sign a piece of paper" but I'm assuming that's not what you're going for

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Shaman Linavi posted:

the worst interview i ever had was with Blizzard. they opened with "so if you could be any superhero, who would you be?" and i just froze up and mumbled something about not really keeping up on my superheroes and it was all down hill from there.
luckily, it was also one of my shortest interviews!
the guy from x-men who uncontrollably kills everyone around him and asks wolverine to kill him in the end

chew on that, interviewer

using the term "superhero" very loosely here

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

in no way is that 1.7 figgies
the ol' $5/year

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

qhat posted:

How many times has anyone here had to explain poo poo to an interviewer because they are dumb and apparently didn't know basic things about their own job, and still received a job offer?
if a candidate taught me something new and wasn't an rear end about it that would be a strong point in their favor, since a significant part of the job is teaching other people things. although the way you phrased the question makes it sound like you may have been less than polite about it

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

HoboMan posted:

we are running out of space and the entire it team is hoping they cloister us off in a separate location
a bit away from me I can see two people sharing a single desk, great planning by management

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FMguru posted:

its all well and good until you get a week of 127+ degree weather and the power grid breaks down

at least its a dry heat :shrug:
the defense of "it's a dry heat" stops working at, like, 105 degrees. after that you are living in a hellscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bhodi posted:

I would let out an IRL laugh if I ever saw a meeting request before 9am, just like I give the middle finger to anything after 4:30
every few months I'll have a handful of conference calls at 9-10pm because international and it loving sucks

• Locked thread