Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

The Management posted:

then when you're talking with actual engineers try to talk through your thinking process and state your assumptions.

this is the hardest part for me since i grew up with and hang out with people that never shut up and i also had a speech impediment
im better now but man when i get in the programming zone i tend to stare into the abyss and mumble to myself and thats not good in an interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

The Management posted:

who do you want to hire, the guy that did best on the math test or the guy that seemed to be a human being you could work with?

probably the math test

related, i applied for a job that had me take 2 SAT style test things, one of which i had to take while on webcam.
i got a nice email back from the parent company asking me to never apply at them or their subsidiaries ever again

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

the interview for the federal position i will hopefully start some time in the next few months was just an hour talking about my bullshit on github and how i handle looking up stuff i don't know. when they asked me about computer security i made a joke about emails and then said something about not rolling my own crypto and letting the math nerds handle that.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

trying to scare you into admitting you are a terrorist/like the kiddies/owe the mob $$$/anything else that could cause you to be blackmailed

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

personally I'm looking forward to my piss tests every 6 months and my working in an air-gapped facility

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

my amazon interview experience was not bad at all but i was also interviewing for a fairly small team so maybe other teams are p bad
not sure i liked all the office doggos though
sorry office doggos

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

A Yolo Wizard posted:

at my last computer job, I got pulled off an upcoming project at literally the last minute because the client looked at my linkedin and wanted someone with more experience.

I left my job after 6 months having never been actually put to work for that reason.

same except 3 months

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

to be fair i think even most Pearson places would tell you to quiet down if you were talking loudly to yourself

the facility i took my Epic coding assessment in just had two proctors shitposting in the back of the room while everyone else took their tests. i think most of the other people there were doing some kind of nursing exam

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

the Epic test was fun because it was like "here is a totally made up language lets see if you can figure it out" and it was actually a bunch of MUMPS questions

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i always bring some copies just in case someone interviewing me hasn't actually seen my resume or if they want to confirm something on it i guess??
only once have i been asked by someone for a copy during an interview

edit: its also for me since maybe i forget some stuff on there

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 17, 2016

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

kids, dont lift weights to cope with suppressing your gender identity.

alternatively, lift weights to enhance your gender identity :getin:

also it took me about 3 years of working out regularly before i started to notice the swoleness and now i know exactly where to stand in the bathroom to admire my goony musculature

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

they key is being referred such that the interview is just a formality

unless you happen to mess that up too like some people i know (its me)

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

ADINSX posted:

They declined me and then later sent me an email asking if I had any friends that might wanna sign up for it lol

this is similar to my experience contacting recruiters on linkedin

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

what if i just did a bunch of tutorials and read books instead. can i put tutorial programs on GitHub

i dont think this would be a problem, you could even add your own special code to the tutorials for that personal touch
i've also seen repos that people make with all their solutions to problems from poo poo like hackerrank or leetcode

all my own code on github is either old code from college that i made not as bad and expanded on, or something i saw online and thought "wow whoever wrote this was a terrible programmer" and then i redid it in my own terrible way

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

not sure if i still have the fed job i was hired for and i guess neither does the agency??
:rip: me time to go work on the farm i guess

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

leper khan posted:

go in and talk to HR and ask them when your first check should clear.
:rip: :gop:

actually i got a call this morning from HR and they said they are still going through with all the hiring until they get told to stop so :shrug:

my heart did stop for a bit when i saw their number come up though

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

mishaq posted:

lol if your mattress isn't stuffed to the brim with cash

i hope thats a high interest mattress

personally i like some diversity in my portfolio so i have some in each of my dresser drawers

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

The XKCD Larper posted:

How the gently caress do you get security cleranace in DC

do what i did and throw resumes at USAJobs until someone gets tired of seeing your name in the pile, or you find a job posting thats excepted so you aren't against vets pref

and then

mishaq posted:

opm has a massive backlog so it takes forever, literally years

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

vodkat posted:

if its that bad just quit and touch computers for old people for a while or something idk whatever, some things in life just aint worth it no matter what the figgies

this is literally what i did when i got tired of my 2 hour commute for not enough figgies
but then i found out that touching computers for the elderly isnt a very employable skillset, oops!

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

The Management posted:

yeah, I do the same thing. something that you know how to solve, just go through the mechanical steps of writing out the details and handling the corner cases

same but i do what someone in a CoC thread suggested and i take my notebook out to a park or someplace and do my hand coding there to get used to doing it in an unfamiliar place

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

ill 2nd hacker rank. it seemed to have the best layout and language support out of the few I've used. but as the above said questions can be worded poorly.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Iverron posted:

i long for any communication at all after in person interviews instead of this ghosting poo poo
:same:

also during my amazon interview late last year i got a handful of robocalls all at once and i had forgot to turn my phone off (but had it on silent!) so rip

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

so going with relocation chat, whats the best way to say "yo idgaf about relocating just pay me to work there and ill be there"?
i can understand wanting local people since they can probably start a lot quicker, but as long as some of these companies take to get back to anyone i can't imagine they are in much of a rush

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

i had to hound my recruiter for like a month between verbal offer and e-sign on the dotted line

i did this with Epic but instead of sending me the offer they told me to get lost

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

protip: if you ever fill out a us gov clearance form, save a copy of it, because you will never ever remember all the loving minutiae that goes on there

speaking of gov clearance forms im on month 7 of waiting for mine to finish :smithicide:

wouldn't be so bad but all i can get is a "we're working on it, trust us"

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

like it's so generic that I have $COMPANY and $JOB in there with one spot for a sentence about fit that I often can't fill in without it sounding terrible

this is what my cover letter ended up becoming, usually with something about relocating too since im in the middle of a desert
i also had more hits from places i applied to without a cover letter so it must really be a stinker.

thanks for nothing ResumeToInterviews

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

when i was interviewing for federal jobs most people would start off with "Hey, are you still interested in this position which pays $xx,xxx? ok cool we will schedule the interview" and that certainly made it easy for negotiations (there weren't any)

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

the worst interview i ever had was with Blizzard. they opened with "so if you could be any superhero, who would you be?" and i just froze up and mumbled something about not really keeping up on my superheroes and it was all down hill from there.
luckily, it was also one of my shortest interviews!

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

maybe i didn't bomb my amazon interview last november as bad as i thought since another recruiter just contacted, but this time for a position in LA instead of Seattle which is close enough for me to enjoy another 2-3hr commute (kill me).
of course they contacted me on a different e-mail address so maybe once they find out who i am they will ghost me.
gonna try again anyway since waiting for the feds sucks.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i did an online coding test today in python and thats also the language i use for whiteboarding
not having to worry about curly braces or types is cool and good when trying to fizzbutt

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i'm the person that lists everything they have used at least once on their resume
but that list is short enough that i'm comfortable talking about any of it even though i may not have used it since college

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pls explain

i have never heard of this poo poo

i remember (i think) someone posted screenshots of the warning screens before Amazon's online coding assessment but i wasnt able to find it.
it warned you that they keep track of your browser usage and running programs and your webcam/mic while you are taking the test.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i got some rune drawing coming up next week
feeling pretty okay about it

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

the big problem is that recruiter/hr 9/10 is very different from 9/10 to the programmers. if the applicant answers honestly early hr won't advance them

going on this, for a lot of federal applications they use a 1-5 scale and you better believe that everyone is putting all 5s regardless of what they actually know because of this reason

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

current whiteboarding status:
still jumping into the poo poo too quick and having to backtrack through my garbage code when i hit a dead end
overall better than last time though

edit: also i take too long whiteboarding and then i didnt get to ask all the good question i had ready =(

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 21, 2017

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

cis: "try back in a year, you were good at everything except coding" :smith:

back to waiting for the feds i guess

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

as far as leaving fast chat, i left the only dev job i had after 3 months. i was hired without anyone in the company asking the Contractors working on the project if they wanted anyone else.
i actually could have stayed at that company but then i would have been commuting 2 hours to clean literal poo poo off hospital beds and i decided against it

also had a phone interview today where the person asked me "So, do you have any personal project you want to talk about or should I just ask you some general technical questions" and that was sort of a nice change

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

:thunk:

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

thats the FAQ from :nms: Epic about an assessment thats going through a service called ProctorU
also the site needs Flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

trip report on this:
dude took control of my screen and started drawing on it to tell me to stop talking (rubber duck debugging is good and cool)
also stopped my test when i got too far into a gangstaprogramming zone lean to tell me to fix my webcam
it also took about 30 minutes to actually start the test between showing my ID, getting connected, and having to move my webcam around the room to show i'm not a cheater

would NOT recommend ProctorU to anyone ever

• Locked thread