Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Management posted:

sitting at the lobby of this company because I arrived way too early, watching people go in and out. Jesus gently caress look at these nerds.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

someone should combine the car and bicycle and solve this once and for all

they tried that, but everyone just seems to hate them even more.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Management posted:

drat, shaggar was so right. after I said no to 8am I got this.

so they are, at the least, working 11 hour days. jesus gently caress run away.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah its boned if they expect one dude to take over for a whole team

tbf ops is barely an actual team

-someone who works on an ops team

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

leper khan posted:

I've never understood this. what benefit is derived from having someone interview for you?

certainly not employment; and certainly not for any length of time that would make up for costs of moving.

if there's effectively no benefit, I would expect the number of people doing so to be vanishingly small.

my manager actually explained this to me once. apparently it's surprisingly common, especially for contract positions. the end goal is to bullshit your way through a few months while learning at least a little bit on the job, then later be able to put down that you have "experience" when applying for your next job. apparently he's had a couple people outright confess to it when they try a webcam interview.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

leper khan posted:

why do they not like singular they?

he or she probably hates sentences that sound natural.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

cis autodrag posted:

ok now the recruiter just emailed and asked if i had time for a 5-minute phone call today. freaking out again.

just tell them you're busy today and have them reschedule for when you actually feel like taking the call. it's not like what they're telling you is going to change, and if it's really important they'll email you.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

cis autodrag posted:

about to sign for a 3500/mo house without ever touring the dang thing because no corporate housing will take my pit bull. rip my lifestyle.

having a pet in a major city is a huge liability. this is not really a new thing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ShadowHawk posted:

Nothing in Silicon Valley is a "major city" and that's the entire problem.

my mistake, thought it was in sf. though that would be pretty low for sf given the circumstances so i guess i'm just dumb

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm still stuck on how a skills test is more racist than literally any other part of the hiring process.

no you see clearly the part which has an objectively correct or incorrect answer has more room for discrimination than the part where they just talk to you for like 20 minutes and make a gut call on whether or not to move forward.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

so by "help me build a web site" he clearly means "build the whole thing and give me 70%all of the profit while you work for minimum wagepay me for the privilege"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

RISCy Business posted:

or just probe stymie every time someone quotes him

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

huhu posted:

I feel like 90% of recruiters are terrible. Jobspring, Workbridge, etc. How do you guys figure out which firms/recruiters are not terrible?

you're off by 10%

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

I'm actively looking, so not a big deal.

the problem is they don't stop when you're not actively looking. enjoy your 4 calls a day mostly by idiots asking if you'd like lovely contract position #4554323 for the rest of your life!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Janitor Prime posted:

Hey guys I'm trying to create a job posting and can't come up with the right title for this position. Basically, I need someone who can do the following:
  • Willing to travel to other countries for extended trips, up to a month at a time
  • Collect measurements in the field using custom phones and test software
  • Plan the logistics of getting the necessary equipment into the field
  • Analyze the data and actually interpret it to realize if something is wrong in the field and troubleshoot what the problems are
  • Generate reports from the data to read out to the customers

I think a Field Engineer is the right title, but is there something better than that?

sounds like it's pretty much to a letter what my company calls a "support engineer."

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

qirex posted:

font and formatting looks like amazon

amazon were the ones who also apparently tried to monitor location/eye movements/all programs running/browser history etc before.

and people in this thread were saying "quit complaining!" instead of :redflag: central

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

KidDynamite posted:

When I asked about runway during an initial chat with a startup they answered by saying can't say exacts because we need you to sign an nda but we just signed a 5 year lease and money is no object. That's a bad sign, right?

depends, are you okay fleeing a sinking ship in about 6-18 months after bleeding them dry?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

lol if you give a gently caress what they're wearing as long as they aren't naked or sporting some offensive slogans on their poo poo.

the place I start at in two weeks made fun of me for wearing a suit.

when i did that, they all just sort of awkwardly ignored the fact that i was overdressed.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

mod saas posted:

soooo... your dad?

no, his parent's brother's wife's brother

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh no they’re asking for references and I don’t have any nooooo

that happened to me once. they eventually just had me look up some random professors/coaches i had years ago and said okay that's fine, whatever.

if they're at the point where they're actually calling references, you've almost certainly got the job anyway (they actually asked for the references after they'd given me the offer in writing, lol)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

TLDR: Friend's (who is 1099) dad had a stroke and had to stop all work to take care of him. Company chill about it and delayed the project 6 months for him, now I either continue to try and :yotj: or I get to chill for 6~ months.

why not both? tell the new guys you start in february, take a de facto 6-month paid vacation until then.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Management posted:

no one has ever programmed professionally

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Also interviewing is garbage I agree.
But being the interviewer is also very very garbage.

I have interviewed 10 people so far, 8 were terribad, 1 is ok but seems like the kind of guy who licks his finger before turning the page on bis kindle.

The last guy is young and only has 2 years of professional experience but has a bs in comp sci from Michigan tech which is really good.

But the other 8? Hollllllly poo poo friends. If you EVER need a confidence boost, interview other programmers.

better yet, interview recent grads for internships. even the good candidates know nothing and are giant awkward idiots.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Elysiume posted:

the defense of "it's a dry heat" stops working at, like, 105 degrees. after that you are living in a hellscape

clearly someone hasn't had to endure 95 degrees with 85% humidity.

I'd give anything for a dry summer...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

dry heat eventually turns into "oh god i need to get away from the oven" somewhere around 110ish

still better than "why no, the torrents of sweat aren't going to stop, why do you ask?"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

HoboMan posted:

hey the stack of figgies in my closet is getting too large. where is the financial advice thread? tia

as a wealthy computer-toucher, it is your civic duty to be as stupid with your money as possible

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

best post in the last two pages.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

"yeah...we only communicate 'face-to-face.' that's totally the reason we haven't been bothering to email/call in that rear end in a top hat who won't come into the office. because we don't do that here, and not because we all generally don't like him or really consider him part of the company. it's because we just have such a weird culture and have never heard of this 'electronic-mail' stuff at this tech company."

*emails all coworkers to complain about that useless piece of poo poo again*

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

cis autodrag posted:

is India one of those places with a food culture thdt requires you to eat super loud? there's a couple guys who sit near me that eat so loud they can't just be not closing their mouths, it has to be that they're deliberately being noisy. it drives me insane. i think eating at your desk is really bad etiquette in a shared space, especially when you have a nonstop stream of snacks all day.

all my indian coworkers eat normally (if anything they eat more politely than most people), so i guess these guys are probably just awkward idiots with no manners?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Send it to your boss and ask them to print it for you since you're having computer issues

i think i might actually do this when i leave here. my boss would probably think it's hilarious.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Turnquiet posted:

you know what sucks? when you got another job lined up that was literally posted for you and the hiring manager reports to the dude who set it up for you and it will pay great figgies so you need to make sure you can pass a piss test and have to drop weed for tons of alcohol to make sure you can land it. weed has been a godsend and not drinking is cool and good

piss tests are for losers, but I think you might also have kind of a serious drug/alcohol problem.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

how bad is it to have no degree? rn i'm putting $university $timespan $course on my resume despite dropping out, i wonder how hosed i'll be when it comes to applying for another job after 3+ years of paid computer touching

i mean i doubt most people give a poo poo but still

EU if it makes a diff, none of this background check poo poo here lol

no one really gives a poo poo after you already have actual experience on your resume. well, in america at least, not sure if eu is any different.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

re: piss testing, i think that unlike a lot of you losers, i very much value my dignity.

that value is about $10^5

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 12, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

it's probably because it would be a giant pain in the rear end for them to move hqs, so mountainview can just tell them to gently caress off and they can't really do much about it other than offer increasingly large bribes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

qhat posted:

Ya or just use your time on other more worthwhile learning pursuits while getting paid because your current work is probably not important enough that anyone will notice if it gets done or not.

usually there's at least one manager somewhere that'll keep track of if you're actually doing something, but yeah, if anything you do actually matters, things have gone horribly wrong.

• Locked thread