Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

All the action was shot super violently and made me flinch, but in a good way. I guess the opposite of The Croods wherein I just kept thinking, "they're being treated like cartoons, they can't die" as opposed to "motherfucker got shot in the back and sucked out the windshield of a jet, I think I just watched her die."

Yeah, while Incredibles 2 doesn't quite rank up the body count like the original did, there are definitely more broken bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is he seriously talking about hiding his boner with a soda cup.

and popcorn, too!

but yeah that's kinda gross, what the hell

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Should... should I be concerned if it doesn't? :ohdear:

be sure to talk to your doctor about erectile noise dysfunction

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

well there's no way it could replace animators wrt 2D animation

we just need 2D animation to be... popular again...
:negative:

2D animation is very popular

just not for movie theatres

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Yeah, in the US at least 2D animation is mostly just reserved for TV nowadays. Which is kind of a shame to be honest.

I was actually thinking of web shows TBH, cause there's a fair mix of 2D and 3D TV shows but web exclusives tend towards 2D almost entirely.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I want to say I'm upset but fuuuck I still love invader zim

Same.

I am kinda worried it'll pull a Samurai Jack and be just different enough from the source material that'll feel unsatisfying, since unlike Steven Universe there's quite a few years between the end of the series and the movie. Even if they have the entire crew back, they've all moved on and are at different places in their lives, which will change how they perceive their own work.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
isn't RWBY made by a team of like, four people?

I know the first season was done pretty much singlehandedly by Monty Oum, though that never explained why it looked worse than his Halo seasons did

RWBY is not and has never been very good, though, so yeah that's the lowest bar you could possibly clear

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

We didn't have a lot of the crew back, but I was an... embarrassingly huge Zim fan back in the day. There's variance, but it doesn't pull that cliff jump that S5 Samurai Jack does. (And I'm only so harsh on that because episodes 1-3 blew me away.) Having been on both sides of the fence now, Zim fans should be pretty happy with the final product.

I drew all the literal garbage that appears in the movie, btw. It kept me employed for 8 months. It is easter egg'd to gently caress.

Nice!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like we're going to get to the point where we have to accept that live action is often more a matter of style than production.

Not really. There's still a poo poo ton of differences in how the two are made.

But post production has ballooned in scope an insane amount, to the point where some movies are still being worked on two or three years after principle photography is done. So the argument could be made that post production specifically shares a lot of DNA with animated films.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Do you have a date on when it was drawn?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Fanfiction has shown the way - simply combine everything into one franchise, and there's no worry about that.

They did that, though, Disney Infinity was actually quite popular and had figures for every character in the game which was constantly expanding.

Then they closed it down cause it cost too much, even while making money.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny side effect of mainstream game development becoming so much more expensive is that it's pretty much wiped out crappy tie-in games other than phone games (which are basically an entirely different market) because you can't half-rear end it anymore, and you can't make even passably decent video games without having a studio that is both sufficiently funded and knows what they're doing.

Conversely, indie games are making tons of great games with shoestring budgets and teams of two or three people.

It's mostly the middle ground between the $50,000 games and the $50,000,000 games that's been wiped out, which is where tie-in games used to live. They're not gone entirely, Lego Incredibles came out pretty close to the movie's release, but they're not flooding store shelves the way they did in the PS1 era.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the simplest answer is that one of the grunts working on backgrounds put the fanart in, possibly as a placeholder but also possibly just straight up stealing artwork to cut down on their own work, and their supervisor approved it without knowing it was stolen or being told it was drawn by somebody outside of the team working on the show cause why would he ever assume otherwise?

fast forward four to six months later and welp

the best outcome at this point is if people kick up enough of a stink that the story makes headlines, at which point Disney will either have to pay the artist for their work or recut/redo the episode

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

K. Waste posted:

The solution is not to respect fan art as its own intellectual property. The solution is to reject intellectual property as a concept entirely, and hopefully strive for better working conditions for artists of all kinds.

that's not a solution

IP protection is currently being abused by very powerful corporations to protect their own interests and make them lots and lots of money, but it also helps to ensure smaller companies or individuals are properly compensated for their own creative endeavours or ideas.

Like, I would hope the guy who makes a small webcomic on his own time (ex: Paranatural) can expect to be able to defend his rights to his ideas and not have it be made into a TV series without his permission. Disney should not be able to take his work without compensation.

Disney, comparatively, is loving massive. You could, in fact lots of people have, make a webcomic staring popular Disney characters and post it online and it would never, ever affect Disney's bottom dollar. They probably won't notice or care. It's illegal, sure, but it's more trouble than it's worth shutting down fan art, cause there's just so much of it and it's nothing but bad press to try.

So fan art is less "respected" and more "tolerated", and that's mostly based on how big the one being copied is. Zack Morrison would probably want to stop people who drew his characters from putting them on t-shirts and selling them without his knowledge. Disney, as a corporation, has the same rights but doesn't exercise them as harshly because that's money lost to them, so fanart of their characters showing up on t-shirts happens all the time and they can step in to stop it but there's just so much that they'd need a dedicated team to fire off C&D's all day. (ironically, as I re-read this I remember a bunch of tweets of people who make t-shirts noticing that Disney used very similar designs/catchphrases for their princess's in the Wreck-it-Ralph 2 trailers)

... but the "fanart showing up in the original work without the artist's knowledge or consent" is a weird one because IP laws are designed to protect art from being copied, not so much to protect the copy from being used by the original IP owners. So it's a lot less about IP rights than it is about workers rights, cause now it's no longer a fan creation, it's a work being used that isn't being paid for, with no contract created and no consent given.

So lets say this goes to court. Disney can't use their IP rights because the art is used in the original work, it's not fanart anymore, and the artist can sue for theft because the art was taken without permission or compensation. Admittedly I'm not familiar enough with laws protecting workers rights, but from a layman's armchair viewpoint, it looks like Disney doesn't have any real leverage here.

so again, best case scenario, enough of a fuss is kicked up that this story makes mainstream news headlines, and Disney reaches out to the original artist and pays them for their work

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 23, 2018

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I terms of impressive technical animation I've always been impressed by Pinocchio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1sCdcSDi0

Look at them bubbles! This is, like, 40 years before The Little Mermaid and they still look just as good as that movie. Look at them splashes of water, shadows from the fire, the smoke and fire and background details. That fluid and incredibly detailed character animation. I dunno what kinda techniques they use for Monstro but he looks awesome. AND THEY ANIMATED THE WHOLE MOVIE ON 1'S!

There's another scene, where Geppetto is looking for Pinocchio in the rain, that I can't find a clip of but it's also just stunning to look at and realize, even with the absurd limits of technology at the time, they were able to animate that level of complex movement with that level of detail ON 1'S.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's $1.16 billion, btw

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BigglesSWE posted:

Just watched The Incredibles 2 again, this time with my girlfriend who didn’t care for the first one that much. I have to agree with her sentiment and say that the sequel is much, much better than the first movie. It balances the slow and fast much better and it’s overall very creative and fun.

21 Muns posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that The Incredibles 2 is better than the first, but I do think all of the people crowing about how much worse it is than the first (and particularly the people who think Screenslaver is a less interesting or less coherently written villain than Syndrome) are coming from a place of pure nostalgia.

I falls into the same kinda zone as Monsters U did, where the advancement in technology led to better lighting, better designs, better camera use, basically everything that was a hard limit was removed and the filmmakers are more free to express their ideas without compromise. So it looks amazing and every scene flows smoother and it's just a much better production both in 3D animation technology and cinematic technique.

But does that directly translate to a better movie? Monsters U didn't have nearly as strong an emotional core or thematic throughline as Monsters Inc, though I still liked it, and Incredibles 2 has the unfortunate fate of following up The Incredibles, which I feel is a pretty unfavorable comparison since that movie is pretty drat fantastic at both of those things.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does make me wonder if Sony is trying to get out in front in case the MCU stumbles.

more like the inverse, they're capitalizing on the success of the MCU Spider-man while also trying to get a solid foundation for their own Spider-man that doesn't profit share with Marvel

Moon Atari posted:

Between Into the Spiderverse and the latest spider-man game Sony seems to be pumping some serious funding into reviving Spider-Man. The game is so polished that I'm convinced they were willing to lose money on its development just to improve the brand. From the trailer Into the Spiderverse seems flashy enough that it might be a similar deal, or at the very least they were willing to take a chance with where they spent their money.

if I were a betting man, I'd guess the sole reason Into The Spider-Verse got any traction at all inside Sony was because they greenlit the Venom movie, with the expectation that any money lost by Spider-Verse would be made up by Venom being a massive success

course I'm not sure how big a success a PG-13 Venom movie is gonna be, but at the very least it's probably the movie that all the suits are circling around and focus-group'ing to death, leaving Spider-Verse relatively free to do it's own thing

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
that's more the fault of the standardized CGI "look" being basically uniform between studios, there's not much experimentation being done on big budget animated movies to help them look unique

probably the reason I'm most excited for Into the Spiderverse is the dramatically different artstyle it has, I can think of some tv shows and video games that have similar styles but not many AAA animated movies released in theatres

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
at this point I'm almost scared to see Smallfoot, is it like, contagious?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Whatever, glad the guy gets to make his dream... pigeon... movie. But I don't want to watch a pigeon movie, I want to watch spy movie.

I mean, technically, it's a spy movie that has the main character become a pigeon, since pigeon movies are not a genre, so I imagine there will be spy movie things happening, just being done by a pigeon.

But yeah this does feel more like the premise of an Animaniacs series than it's own movie.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thankfully, Into The Spider-verse continues to impress

They just keep piling more and more stuff into this movie and none of it looks out of place or bad.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

This is so weird. Like some Pokemon look good and some just don't. Pikachu looks fine with the fur but like Jigglypuff and Psyduck look wack. I don't really understand why they didn't just make them look more cartoony. It wouldn't be any less ridiculous.

All the shots of Greninja looked hype as hell though not gonna lie. At at the very least for the most part they tried to have the Pokemon LOOK like the actual Pokemon, just with weird realistic textures. As opposed to like, re imagining that poo poo into horrid abominations

given that it's Legendary, I was expecting them to re-design all the pokemon to be more "edgy"

I'm guessing Nintendo wasn't willing to let them go any further than giving them a "gritty" texture pack

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

DeVito, who is an experienced voice actor himself, said no apparently because he doesn't know what a Pikachu is.

I'd believe that.

I always found it really, really odd how attached so many people are to his being cast in the role, to the point where it wouldn't have mattered who they cast, if it was DeVito it wasn't right. Maybe it's cause I haven't played the games myself? But that meme started before the games were even released in english and people were mad he wasn't cast for them, either.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I think you'll find that Deadpool canonically killed that Deadpool and also Ryan Reynolds.

favourite part of DP2 is how many fun and creative ways they found to kill Ryan Reynolds, both as DP and as himself

also why does Ryan Reynolds wanna have a stranglehold on characters with the DP acronym?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bert of the Forest posted:

Danny Phantom reboot starting Ryan Reynolds confirmed.

well gently caress, now that you've said it's stuck in my head

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's not entirely fair to compare a trailer for an unfinished movie to a complete one, but it's striking how the CGI version loses so many of the artistic flourishes of the original.

If they're shown to the public then they're probably as complete as they're gonna get.

Also, it's an entirely CGI movie. Everything we see on the frame is there by choice.

So, the team behind the original made the choice to have the opening morning sky be a deep red with an orange sun rising centre frame, while the CGI team made the choice to have the sun rise to a more golden hued morning with rain clouds shading the off centre sun in the distance. The original team made a deliberate choice to have that shot of the mountain be orange tipped at the top while purple hued at the bottom to show how huge it is, while the CGI team made the choice to have it be a little brighter at the top but all foggy and hidden below the snowline.

... yeah I think the remake looks bad, too. Beyond desaturation, it's also dulling the intent behind actions. Like, when Rafiki opens the fruit in the original, he holds it between the camera and the sun so there's a flash of sunlight between his hands as he cracks it open, almost as if he's releasing some kind of magic. In comparison, the remake has him crack some twigs instead and they kinda pop a bit with powder, but they've moved the camera to the side of his hands instead of in front so there's no sunlight flashing the screen, making the poof of powder look far less impressive. They literally took the magic away. And they did it by choice, too.

I remember not liking Jungle Book, either, because it seemed like Jon Favreau made it with the express intent of reversing everything single plot point and theme of the original movie solely for the sake of reversing them. He seems like the kinda guy who would change Mufasa's death from "Long live the king" into something that actually is Simba's fault.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just got back from Wreck it Ralph 2.

Most important thing anyone interested in seeing it needs to know: they don't use the internet as an excuse to advertise to you for two hours. There's five or six scenes where the plot just stops and they go "look at all these brands!" but they're mostly short and don't really get in the way as much as you'd fear. The two biggest offenders are when they first enter the internet, and when they first go to Disney's website. Otherwise, most of the websites and brands we see are made up.

Also, I loved the princess stuff. They are all cheesy and dumb and full of nostalgia bait, and you can tell the people who worked on them had a blast. Probably the most genuine parts of the movie.

The plot was actually a big bait and switch. You think that Sugar Rush being broken is the focus, but really it's just the excuse they use to go have adventures on the internet.

The actual plot (and spoilers for the ending here) is addressing both Ralph's and Venelope's insecurities. Like, literally, the final antagonist is the personification of Ralph's insecurities, it's even called his insecurities. And the ultimate solution to the plot is having Ralph and Venelope part ways, which was a little unexpected and very bittersweet, but very mature as well. The movie actually is surprisingly nuanced when it comes to exploring their relationship and how, even though they're best friends who get along fantastically, are still holding each other back, Ralph in that he's not really making any new friends or leaving his comfort zone, and Venelope in that she's unfulfilled and wants something more than what she has. Both of their wants are opposites of what the other wants, but they both want to make the other happy, and that naturally leads to internal and external conflict. It's solid, character driven storytelling, with enough layers to make picking at it interesting, and it'll tug at your heartstrings, particularly if you're familiar with that feeling of losing someone you love.

The main plot, by comparison, is pretty bare bones. The Sugar Rush cabinet is broken! The only way to fix it is by going to the internet! Oh, they found the part! Now they need money to buy it! Oh, they made Ralph into a meme! Now they've raised enough money to buy it! ...and scene. They don't even show them getting the part, that's how incidental the main plot is to the movie, and probably the biggest indication that it's not actually all that important in comparison to Ralph and Venelope's changing dynamic, which now becomes the main plot as Ralph makes a very poor decision that, oh hey, breaks the internet. There's not even a separate B-plot like Felix's adventures in the first movie, we're with Ralph and Venelope the whole time. Also, I love that minor joke near the end where Knowsmore said one of two ways to fix the virus is to give them all a therapy session, which he discounts as impossible but is actually how they fix everything.

Beyond that, I'm still disappointed that, for a movie that's supposed to be about video games, we don't really see much outside of some retro callbacks, Sonic, and Street Fighter. Even when they go to the internet, we don't see anything new, video game-wise, which is odd since the internet is full of freaking video games. We see Slaughter Race, sure, but that isn't really referencing anything at all, like, I don't think car combat games have been popular since the late 90's, and even Burnout hasn't seen a new game in a decade. I guess video game mascots have been on the decline, nobody is screaming for Knack to make a cameo, but still, I'd have expected, like, Mario or Rayman or Crash or Spyro or freaking anyone from Smash Bros. to at least walk past the camera. Actually cameos overall are pretty minimal, kept to just the arcade and Disney's website. There's still a lot in just those two scenes, but they're contained to just those spots and the rest of the movie only has internet users and... well I guess they're called algorithms, whatever the people of the internet are that aren't users.

I do like that they didn't try to explain everything like the first movie. Everything just exists and if it's important to the plot, it'll get an explanation, but they're short and simple and don't get bogged down in technical details like the first movie did.

Overall I liked it. There's more meat on the bones and heart in the story that I was expecting going in, and it's smart to boot. But it's still very much a kids film and there's nothing here that you can't get elsewhere. See it if you're a fan of the first, skip if not, flip a coin if undecided.

Oh and Venelope's totally gay. They only ever drop hints but they're dropped from thirty stories up while tied to bricks.

JfishPirate posted:

Despite the fact that Mulan seemingly is a simple movie to adapt to live action, it's projected to cost 300 million dollars, far more than any other live action remake (and only topped by 2 PoTC movies and Avengers 2 and 3, in terms of all-time highest budgets). The cost seems to largely be on constructing massive sets, which gives me a Cleopatra vibe.

https://movieweb.com/disney-mulan-remake-live-action-budget-300-million-dollars/

they're probably willing to put that much money on the line because they know they're gonna make a killing in China

that said, this is probably the one confirmed Disney remake I'm actually interested in, since there's only gonna be one CGI character and from the sounds of things, the sets and cast are gonna be huge, which is a big plus. I'd much rather they actually have their live action remakes be live action instead of the CGI mess they've made out of most of them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

Oh yeah I was completely caught off guard the first time he does his gimmick and I was dying

Gord was basically this movies Olaf

And I wish Olaf was more like Gord

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

Ya know it occurs to me that the end credits song from the first Wreck-it Ralph would've fit really well for the second movie

I remember watching the credits and for some reason the Batman Theme was in there. I have no idea when they used the Batman Theme in the movie.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Butt Detective posted:

I actually ended up enjoying WIR2 a bit more than I thought I would, though I did often go from "this is actually kinda enjoyable" to "dear god this is already so dated". I can't wait to see how it holds up ten years down the line, it'll be like watching a movie where the characters are like "Woah, it's Myspace!! Wow, Geocities!!"

to be fair, they did pretty much use only websites that have pretty strong legs. like, ebay is the only real plot critical website that is also a real website, everything else is either made up or owned by Disney. even Pintrest will hold up cause even if the site itself disappears, the actual visual of the pin wouldn't be affected since it's divorced from the function of the site, so you don't need to know what it's used for to get the joke.

it's actually fairly interesting how they get the functions of various websites across through visual language. like, ebay is a huge auction floor where everybody can browse and bid on whatever they want, while twitter is a bunch of birds that will echo the latest big tweet, Gmail is a baggage train presumably delivering messages around, and comments on YouTube are dumped into a huge empty void that nobody reads

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

riversarl posted:

Mild spoilers:
There is brief shot of Times Square with a billboard featuring Abe and JFK from Clone High!

that is a deep cut, was there somebody on staff who was involved in that show?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dirksteadfast posted:

WIR raises so many questions. The Ralph in the franchise is from a single arcade machine. But that machine was mass-produced. Do all Ralphs from all arcades go through the same emotional turmoil? That calls into question pre-destination. Or maybe all Ralphs behave completely different, but that seems strange because they’re all essentially identical characters raised in identical situations.

this is assuming that any other arcade cabinets survived as long as his has. given the time his game was released and the near complete collapse of arcades since, it's actually fairly likely that his is the last functioning arcade board in the world. kinda like how Woody is probably the last Woody doll in the world, cause his show is decades old and most toys from that period would have been tossed or lost.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Best animated features starring cats:

Cats Don't Dance
Felidae
Fritz the Cat
The Rabbi's Cat

Uh, Kiki's Delivery Service?

This is harder than I thought.

the lion king

... unless we're discounting big cats?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

wow

literally nothing about that headline makes sense

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Queen Combat posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the dogs. Watching a villian's origin story, though? That's some trash moviegoing that I need right now.

no I mean like, the original movie is set in the 1940's? how is a prequel gonna be set in the 1980's? isn't Cruella De Vil from old money? born and raise silver spoon in her mouth? how the hell would she ever be involved with the punk scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I looked up Lord and Miller on a whim because I didn't realize they were involved in Spider-Verse, and Wiki says their next movie as directors is Artemis, which is some of the best news I've heard this year. I thought the Martian was a rather weak Ridley Scott film, basically phoning it in on a popular book, but given Lord and Miller's track record I can say that I'm really, really excited to see what they do with some hard sci-fi moon base shenanigans.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's definitely a lot of issues where people clearly want to put the show they like on the page but don't have an actual example in mind so they just shoehorn whatever fits. I mean, it fits if the work is clearly evoking the trope, but yeah.

I think it's actually gotten a fair bit better over the years, which admittedly isn't saying much. There was a change of management recently. They definitely need to decide on a coherent direction and standardised formatting for the place and trim so much goddamn fat.

I dunno, all that fat is part of the reason I even bother with TVtropes, so cutting all that out would be like tumblr getting rid of porn. Who are we, really, to decide the word count limit on Power Ranger's episode descriptions?