Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pick posted:

Maybe you meet up with the rest of your body that wasn't a skeleton. like that's where your guts and skin were the whole time. and your brain. but not your eyes.

Coco 2, directed by Lucio Fulci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, I would totally see Barbarella at a midnight showing and Nitehawk has tons off nasty horror film showings.

Hell, I'd totally take the opportunity to attend a screening of Caligula. And I don't even like Caligula.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

The same way they did it with the bears and fish in The Lorax. Literally just give them Minion voices with the Minion nonsense language. You don't need to change them visually

Isn't that what the Toads already are?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Looper posted:

Have any of the Disney live action remakes failed to make more money than their animated counterparts?

If you adjust for inflation, all of them except Beauty and the Beast I think. Of course, the other animated films came out during a time in which theatrical re-releases were common.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The one exception I will admit is that Kaa's song was completely forgettable, and her(?) entire role in the story was kind of pointless in this version.

But Kaa doesn't have a song in the new one, barring the credits. :confused:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Why would they recast him? He stopped being a persona non grata a while ago.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Neon Noodle posted:

A Bug's Life was The Magnificent Seven.

Nah, A Bug's Life was Seven Samurai.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Pick posted:

However, I seriously cannot imagine what the gently caress the plot is because apparently it has like 23948230573498753485 characters in it. How can there possibly be enough time for all these things to show up?

I assume that, as in The Simpsons Movie, every minor character from the show turns up for a small cameo, but no one receives much characterisation because you either already know who all these guys are or you probably wouldn't care anyway.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Screw that, I want my big-budget adaptation of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

this broken hill posted:

i'm a disney princess

Avshalom posted:

i am exquisitely animated. in conversation my face achieves the maximum of squash and stretch with every contorted syllable i pronounce. my lines are thick and smooth, my silhouette strong, my bones viscous and my palette pretty as a peach. i end every sexual encounter with a dance party and everyone you know is there just dancing, dancing, anonymously dancing sans speech or expression, they could be anyone, they could be strangers, they could be communists

Still the best post of this thread.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think it has a lot of script and editing issues and is nowhere near as tight as the first movie, but on the other hand it has Joan Cusack as a smoking hot psychopath so idk

Funnily enough, I had the complete opposite reaction. I can barely remember anything about the first film, but Addams Family Values is just one great scene after the other.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

"This looks terrible, and I will be there on opening night" should really be the thread title.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Maybe it's common knowledge in this thread, but I just learned that Miyazaki is working on yet another film. Is this the third time he's come out of self-proclaimed retirement?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/13/17457980/dumbo-trailer-baby-mine-aurora-cover-song

Eeeeeeeew. He's gonna spackle it with so much whimsical melancholy that it'll drown out everything else.

It looks alright, and I'm always down for more Eva Green, but Dumbo is already perfect, so I'm not sure how a remake could possibly improve upon it.

ALFbrot posted:

it's me, the guy who thinks that the movie is about the comet and not the relationship of the two main characters

But enough about Armageddon.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm glad we agree. :)

Macaluso posted:

edit: Though I really don't know why they keep wanting to give him any kind of origin story about WHY he hates Christmas. Can't he literally just be a grinch

Look, it's not easy to pad these out to 90 minutes.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, please discuss Incredibles 2 somewhere else, it doesn't come out in the UK for another month. :(

Lucky bastard. We don't get it till September. :mad:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

mycot posted:

According to the twitter replies apparently this critic's career at the New Yorker is mostly about sneaking (?) in ways to write about his boner.

Living the dream!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

so uh My Little Pony...

....yeah

*Lauren Faust digs hole to China*

Did the ponies become facists or what?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Writing for pre-school kids sounds like a recipe for depression.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Didn’t Disney technically “steal”’ a lot of their stuff from existing stories too? Could descendants of Hans Christian Andersen take them to court over the little mermaid?

In most countries, copyright on a literary work ends 70 years after the death of its author. Andersen died in 1875, so his work has been in the public domain for decades.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

They kind of are though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The earliest example of a celebrity voice actor I can think of is Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio. The earliest example where a character's look was drawn specifically to resemble its celebrity voice actor is probably Ed Wynn as the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland.

I don't know when an entire all-star cast became an explicit selling point though. The Lion King maybe?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Beauty and the Beast '17 has a million things wrong with it, but it's real fault was casting Emma Watson as the lead instead of an unknown actress who could actually sing.

On a sidenote, it's interesting how animated films seem to have moved away from casting voice actors for a specific character and then have a different actor provide that character's singing voice, something which was fairly prevalent in the 90s.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Wow, Heavy Traffic is something else, huh?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The clock tower scene is great, but it does feel like a weaker retread of a similar scene from Castle of Cagliostro.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

He's insinuating that you're discounting the charismas of Ejiofor, Earl Jones, and Beyoncé because you have trouble relating to black perfomers. Which is a pretty nasty leap to make, although I have to admit that I've got no idea how you could reasonably arrive at the conclusion that Ejiofor is uncharismatic if you've seen him in... anything, really.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

LeJackal posted:

Unlike House, who does morally wrong things in a total asshat manner, Charlie is likeable and charming personally as he greedily does immoral things.

So Charlie is Don Giovanni and the film's only flaw is that it didn't end with him being dragged to Hell?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hahaha, this is the second avatar that someone buys me out of spite. I wonder how many am I going to accumulate over time?

It's not spite, that's just the punishment avatar everyone who failed the October horror challenge received.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

"Dad puts work above his family and has to reconnect with his kids" plot in TYOOL 2019.

Yeah, I'm excited for Mary Poppins Returns too.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

The way I look at it is that Lion King is basically Hamlet in the first place, but is this going to Mel Gibson's Hamlet, or is it going to be Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet? :v:

It's going to be Arnold Schwarzenegger's Hamlet.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The new Lion King is going to end with everyone realising that divine right of kings is a dumb concept and toppling the lion aristocracy to institute a more democratic form of government.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

It's gonna be interesting to see how people react to Lion King cause Jungle Book at least had one human character to relate to. This time it's gonna be all anthropomorphic Nature-documentary style creature animation without any of of the exaggeration towards humans that Disney 2d could get away with.

What makes you think people wouldn't empathise with a bunch of cute animals? We go nuts for them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Best animated features starring cats:

Cats Don't Dance
Felidae
Fritz the Cat
The Rabbi's Cat

Uh, Kiki's Delivery Service?

This is harder than I thought.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Can we take a moment to appreciate how cool the Fleischer Superman cartoons are? Because they're pretty drat cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

Why is Jafar hot, tho

Like, wasn't part of the appeal of that character how blatantly slimy and untrustworthy he looked? I don't really get that from the live action Jafar, I just get "Jafar's young and hot now".

It's a bold move, but I think people in 2018 are finally ready for a 'beautiful people can also be evil' message.