Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Egbert Souse posted:

Perfect double feature: Hot Fuzz and Zootopia

Alternatively: Kindergarten Cop 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Kubo was dope. Very Zack Snyder-y, collage-like take on pretty much the same themes as a lot of films from this year, particularly Sausage Party, although obviously much more successful. Overall, I'd say it's the best animated feature I've seen in a slow year - but it's no bad shakes at all. Few films this year can attest to portraying an authentic sexual tension between a black beetle and a snow monkey.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"And racism is also a problem, so be like Kung Fu Panda -- be white, black, asian -- and cut the balls!"

It's funny, because Kung Fu Panda could easily take place in the same exact diegesis as Zootopia.

Kubo, on the other hand, is more like James and the Giant Peach meets Hercules. The bottom-line is that the film is aggressively sarcastic - it is constantly making reference to its own diminutiveness against 'blind' forces, but as a misdirection from what really is its protagonists' emphatic reinvestment in a reactionary, conservative order. The film makes explicit reference to Peter Pan and the motif of the audience participating in reviving Tinkerbell. But there's also this subversive obsession with the gaze, with spiritual and social rituals conformed to a 'benign myth' but ultimately performed for an audience who needs must exist to legitimize this. Culture and race constructs enter into this as well - effectively, the father and the mother are both killed are replaced by ethnically neutral, demigod entities; and Kubo's grandfather looks like Peter Cushing. The story basically becomes about Kubo rescuing the memory of his family from this 'degeneration.'

It's a darker, more egocentric version of exactly what happens in The Tale of the Princess Kaguya.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Disney canon isn't chronological and linear, it's more like a centralized web, where the magic castle at Disneyland serves as a kind of stargate. I'm not even bullshitting, the magic castle is incorporated diegetically into the opening of a lot of Disney movies, now. Heck, even the new Jungle Book explicitly takes place in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

edit:

And now that Star Wars is canon, you can officially say that all Disney movies take place long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Shadow Hog posted:

Zootopia 2 has an after credits sequence with Thanos

I mean, it might as well have! It doesn't even need to be that extreme. The Disney Cinematic Universe could very plausibly begin with a Zootopia-Wreck-It Ralph crossover.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Oh, hey, finally a Tom and Jerry cartoon made after 1952 which isn't mediocre: http://www.myvideo.az/v/1862337

If you, like me, consider suicide gags to be the highest form of classic animation comedy, Downhearted Duckling is pretty much just a 6 1/2 minute running suicide gag.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 31, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Don't Tell Mom was awesome.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Kubo is very strong thematically, it's just that its conclusion is necessarily provocative rather than comforting. The point is that the plucky boy hero replaces his imperfect family with 'paper dolls,' but unlike James & the Giant Peach, there's very little attempt at sublimation.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It looks like a puppet from a Team America sequel.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DrakePegasus posted:

I think Maleficient would be a perfectly fine, forgettable movie if the VERY LAST LINE of the movie didn't stick out as such a contradiction to its own central theme that I wrote too many words about it once to ever forget.

Well, the central theme of Maleficent is just that it's a beat-for-beat remake of Sleeping Beauty with the paradigmatic fairy tale roles reversed. Making Beauty literally the mouthpiece of this narrative does not conform to the hyperrealism of Disney's modernized fairy tale, which perpetually assumes this 'objective,' paternalistic distance from the subjective of the protagonist. This is punctuated by the update of "Once Upon a Dream" during the end credits - it infuses the ending with melancholy and foreboding uncertainty rather than embrace. It's very much in the mold of Gus Van Sant's Psycho, but by way of James Cameron's Avatar, where the alien Queen is made the hero.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Antz is dope.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Drifter posted:

I don't know, dude. She's deffo got a snout.

The difference of conventional 'attractiveness' between the males and female anthropomorphs is pretty much just a mirror of what already exists in screen culture. There really is no way to realize Max Goof as a mask on an actual human without it being a hideous monster. And it's not like all of the female anthropomorphs don't share this quality, it's just that the most narratively 'important' ones are portrayed as more conventionally attractive, whereas men conveniently are exempt from this requirement, and indeed get to have a whole movie devoted to their weird, Oedipal body issues.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'm actually confident that the exact opposite would be the case: If Zootopia were by a 'no-name studio,' whatever that is, it would not actually appear to be that much of an improvement over Home and Madagascar 3 and Kung Fu Panda 3. On the other hand, folks would be more critical of it in the same way they're critical of Kubo.

All of the residual goodwill would just funnel to Moana.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Haledjian posted:

There's a not a lot of studios who could bring to bear the kind of resources it took to make that movie, so it's a bit of a moot point I think.

That's the thing. There already was a 'no name' studio version of Zootopia, it was called Cats Don't Dance.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

ImpAtom posted:

Warners Brothers and Turner Entertainment are no-name studios now?

Yes. Relative to Disney/Pixar. Notice that nobody remembers CDD in the context of Turner Entertainment, but people will inevitably associate Z with a studio that technically had nothing to do with it.

Z couldn't possibly be getting more acclaim, because Disney made it. But CDD only came to positive mainstream appraisal - without ceremony - through television programming, cultivating an unintentional cult following.

The difference is that the 'name brand matters less' cross-media cult film is modeled after classic Hollywood musicals, where as Zootopia features Shakira.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Gazelle is a villain. She behaves in exactly the same way as all the villains of Zootopia - outward platitudes of equality, really just advancing social Darwinism.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Haledjian posted:

Her using tigers as stage props is pretty problematic tbqh

Not really. That's just the Iggy Azalea meme, that she's appropriating predator culture, that she doesn't understand its authentic roots, etc. In reality, all of those dancers are paid very well, their families are very happy for them, they are privately parleying their own newfound privileges onto either their own 'personal endeavors' or 'giving back to the community,' whatever. There is functionally no difference between what Iggy Azalea does and what Shakira and Rihanna do.

The problem is not the superficial content of Gazelle's pop music. The problem is the hegemony of capitalism.

Samuel Clemens posted:

That would still ignore the scene where Jiro's co-workers laugh in his face when he calls Japan a modern state or the fact that one of the most sympathetic characters is in hiding because he's Jewish and knows the Japanese government would sell him out to the Nazis. The Wind Rises has no love for a national mythos that shows Japan as victim of Western meddling, but it does have plenty of sympathy for the people suffering due to the madness of their leaders.

Right. The film is merely honest about how Jiro's very personification before us has become just as 'protected' in a mythological sense as his literal job was in a political sense. It's very melancholy (like most of Miyazaki's films) about this premise that it is only as a ghost that humans can work 'for all mankind.'

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Deuxtopia

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Zootopia 2: Elephant Boogaloo

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Back 2 Zootopia

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Double feature: Zootopia and Fritz the Cat

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Heil Furry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDUks0pqMG0

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Osamu Tezuka's Broken Down Film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVBFRAYaZ1Y

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
He's the 'bad apple' who stands in for everything the mice fear about themselves. You see the same paradigm at work in An American Tail with Warren T. Rat, though the ethnic- and historical-coding in that film is more explicit.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'm unexpectedly getting that Beauty and the Beast live-action remake from Netflix tomorrow, so I guess that means because I like to torture myself that I have to watch all three of the direct-to-video sequels to the original.

It is rather amusing that all of them seem to function as 'side-quels' to the original, because hardy-fuckin'-har, no child wants to actually see the movie where Belle lives a boring-rear end life with The Prince Formerly Known as Beast. Which makes me realize that there really is only one twist that the live action remake could spring, that I'm almost certain they won't do.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hedrigall posted:

They could pull a Shrek and have Belle turn into a beast at the end as well :getin:

That's the rub, though, isn't it? Like, in the post-Shrek world, any straight Beauty & the Beast story just sounds gross. And I'm not even that big a proponent of Shrek, but, you know, its vulgarity and 'anti-Disney' partisanship is thoroughly consistent and remarkably compelling.

Ostensibly the message of Renaissance Disney is that "true beauty is within," but watching it today, the experience for me is provocative of precisely the opposite: Like, "No, gently caress you, the cruel prince got exactly what he deserved, the Beast is the 'real him' (as the side-quels make abundantly apparent), and all this stuff about 'inner beauty' is obfuscation."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Renoistic posted:

Isn't the whole point that Beast is a big jerk who gets better? She doesn't fall for him until he shapes up.

Correction: Belle falls for him in the process of reforming him. There is no getting around the romantic angle of the film's many musical sequences. Belle begins reading a book that she loves in particular, all about an anonymous every-girl who doesn't recognize the prince in disguise, which foreshadows her inevitable falling for some petulant, aristocratic bachelor.

Like, in terms of what Timeless Appeal posts, it's not just Beast's gaze which clarifies that he's still 'really' the man she fell in love with, but particularly his 'beastly' eyebrows. Once this image is internalized, the reaction is automatic and wordless. Everything plays out exactly as you would expect it to, snowballing into highly choreographed, ornamental pageantry.

The nuance here is all in the projection into Belle's gaze - because she is the one being swept up into the sublime elation that, "Oh, thank God, I don't need to kiss a dog-man." But she is allowed this subtle feature signifying his 'dark past,' which is inextricable from what it would mean to grow fond of and love a being that was notorious for cruelty. It's part of the romance, which actually has undergone remarkably little change. It's just that the naïveté of the protagonist is changed from fawning loyalty to her father, to unremarkable escapism into fairy tales. Meanwhile, everybody sings about how she's simultaneously 'peculiar,' but also irrevocably desirable. Belle's musings beyond provincial life are left constantly vague and tinged by this Judeo-Christian image of white sheep drawn towards her as she herself 'pours over' (like the water behind her) a projection of another naive, unremarkable yet irresistible maiden.

Pick posted:

Also that she always treats him like a man, and holds him responsible as such. She never lets his being a beast be an excuse, because she does not see him as a beast.

No, Belle definitely sees him as a Beast - she is explicitly not being given a choice. The relationship is coerced, she is merely accepting, as all of her antecedents have, the premise implicitly because it rescues her father.

Belle is not merely 'seeing a man' - her dreams are becoming manifest, in a manner which is foreshadowed explicitly in "Belle," but which she nonetheless does not anticipate because the whole point of the fairy tale is that she just treats the guy with compassion like a model Christian, and then is surprised to discover that while he is cruel, he is also paradoxically the key to the actualization of these aspirational class fantasies.

Macaluso posted:

Plus if anyone is a beast it's the loving evil witch that punished a literal child to a cursed life as a monster as well as punishing all the servants that lived in the castle as well. It's like of loving course the Beast is such a poo poo when Belle first meets him, he was turned into a monster as a child and had basically accepted that he was never going to be transformed back. Meanwhile the evil witch that apparently goes door to door cursing naughty children was clearly capable of magic and didn't actually need to stay in the castle in the first place.

We need a Beauty and the Beast sequel where Beast (who now has the ability to shift back and forth between his human form and beast form, like a werewolf) and Belle go on an adventure to find and kill this evil witch that is making her way around the world probably cursing other children for like not eating their peas or some poo poo

The witch did not force Beast to imprison some peasant girl.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Shadow Hog posted:

All this discussion is now making me wonder what Kid!Beast was like. Assuming, of course, the change happened that long ago. (Certainly long enough for the French to somehow completely forget they had a prince that had been turned into a furry. Wikipedia says ten years, but I don't remember if the film ever makes that explicit.)

The narrator says in the opening that the spell will either be broken or sealed when Beast is 21. The stain-glass panels seem to imply that the curse is cast upon him when he's relatively young, perhaps not even 12 or 13.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, that witch needs to tone it down. She's at a 27 and needs to be at more of a 3.

In Villeneuve's original novel, the fairy is actually the prince's caregiver while his father is dead and his mom is busy waging wars to defend his birthright. She turns him into the Beast when she tries to seduce him and he refuses.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Pick posted:

I've posted before about the timeline wackery in BatB. I personally discount the sequel and contend that Beast was cursed at around 20 (the age he clearly is in his portrait) and is about 30 when he meets Belle, and this isn't that weird as an age-gap relationship because Beast years are essentially "lost time". Otherwise, Chip makes no sense, he'd have had to have been conceived as a cup and that's really fuckin weird. Also the dog would probably be dead.

In terms of verisimilitude, it makes no sense, but it's consistent within the naive framework of the story that Belle and Beast are both adults as well as children. We are told explicitly that the spell will be broken or sealed in his 21st year, yet there are clearly remnants of a character who was or was close to that age. Rather then discounting the scenario portrayed in the sequel (which isn't consistent with the portrait, but is consistent with the frame-narrative), one is forced to accept them as equally true. The portrait is enchanted, or some bullshit, mocking Beast, which is why he tears at it. Its significance in the opening and later when Belle discovers it is metaphoric, not literal.

edit:

Every time you see something like that, an enchantress did it.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 24, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To me, that's not a bug, it's a feature. The subtly revolting qualities of the animation in Bluth's films is made all the more provocative because of how reactionary his films tend to be. His works - especially his early ones - have a phantasmagoric quality that (seemingly on a conscious level) harkens back to the Disney golden age.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Timeless Appeal posted:

It depends on the film. When you get to Anastasia, it can often be off-putting. In general I don't think the Disney Renaissance's clean colors, full animation, and more exaggerated human characters has necessarily aged well. There is a lot in Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin that frankly looks like good TV animation instead of breathtaking spectacle. Prince Ali is a good example of a musical number that just isn't as impressive looking as I remember. Whereas the big numbers in All Dogs Go to Heaven or the finale to Land Before Time hit the same punches they did for me as a kid.

But his latter stuff is heavily reliant on rotoscoping to the point of hitting the uncanny valley. Like once you start focusing on Anastasia's face in this number it becomes unnerving. From a distance it looks definitely cinematic and what I think people remember 90s Disney movies looking like. But up close it's animated Greg Land.

By "golden age" I meant stuff like Bambi, Fantasia, Pinocchio - you know, the ones where really horrific/surreal poo poo happens. Bluth's aesthetics is just the wedding of classic Disney hyperrealism to modern scandal and obscenity. He's like Ralph Bakshi with a Protestant work ethic and no satire.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Now I just want to make an actually good rock-dog movie and name it after Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCDhZpw8CSM

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Avshalom posted:

i want to gently caress cartoon animals

Then I have bad news.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They acknowledged the movie that teaches us how our problems are ultimately caused by conspiracies.

Maybe Crash was actually really good and we're all just being too cynical.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

hot dog!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Martytoof posted:

To this day everyone I know tells me that it's this deep, incredibly moving movie that unironically drives them to tears and while I can't disagree that it feels like that to them, I just don't see it or feel it.

I agree, to the extent that the idea that Inside Out is 'deep' is in disservice to appreciating what it does have going on in its favor. I mean, it's called "inside out," implying an inversion of perception, not in the revelation of depth but exuberance of surface. To get the most out of it you have to read as a kiddie version of eXistenZ or Broadcast News, where these seemingly microcosmic emotions are actually looking in upon the hyperreal fantasy of a Pixar movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hedrigall posted:

I thought Inside Out was a cool movie that can help kids learn to deal with feelings :shrug:

I've seen it 3 times and cried like a babby every time

All animated films are about helping kids deal with their feelings: Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Zootopia, Beauty & the Beast, Prince of Egypt, Shrek, Finding Nemo, characters learning to deal with their feelings is supremely generic.

Inside Out features characters attempting to deal with their feelings as part of the generic conflict between its characters. The story is about attempting to write the perfect coming-of-age story.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

starkebn posted:

Still a fun and cool movie

I agree, it's probably the best film Pixar has ever produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Fangz posted:

I don't love Inside Out but I do like how dorky and uncool it is.

The best part is where Abstract Thought is utilized in much the same way as the image of the factory in Modern Times. This degenerating engine of all consciousness not only threatens to destroy Joy, but also Sadness, evoking total alienation from social life and the perceived essence of humanity.