Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this cast is absurd in how much talent they got. and also the tacit admission that no one can do "father figure/voice of god" better than James Earl Jones, so they're just gonna cast him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Pick posted:

I hate everything after the initial essentially independent short in Up.

i'm gonna be completely honest here for a second

the first five minutes of up is very moving and sets the stage very well for the movie that comes after that

but the rest of the movie is even better and the actual moment that makes me cry is Carl flipping through the scrapbook and then embracing Dug as his dog

because Dug is the best

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ConfusedUs posted:

The old mario movie is really not GOOD, but it is really, uh, creative in how it interprets the source material.

I have a real soft spot for it because of how weird it is.

my favorite way to describe it is that the live action Mario movie is like if a 50 year old in 1992 listened to their 10 year old nephew describe all of the stuff in the mario games and they went and made a movie entirely based off of that description without looking at a single actual Mario game.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rashida Jones made a statement saying that she did not leave Toy Story 4 because of an unwanted advance from John Lasseter. Honestly, her rebuttal is way more damning of the culture at Pixar generally:

quote:

We feel like we have been put in a position where we need to speak for ourselves. The break neck speed at which journalists have been naming the next perpetrator renders some reporting irresponsible and, in fact, counterproductive for the people who do want to tell their stories. In this instance, The Hollywood Reporter does not speak for us. We did not leave Pixar because of unwanted advances. That is untrue. That said, we are happy to see people speaking out about behavior that made them uncomfortable. As for us, we parted ways because of creative and, more importantly, philosophical differences.
There is so much talent at Pixar and we remain enormous fans of their films, but it is also a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice, as is demonstrated by their director demographics: out of the 20 films in the company’s history, only one was co-directed by a woman and only one was directed by a person of color. We encourage Pixar to be leaders in bolstering, hiring, and promoting more diverse and female storytellers and leaders. We hope we can encourage all those who have felt like their voices could not be heard in the past to feel empowered.”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I've gotta say, the signs have probably always been there for Pixar being a very insular place to work. They had a group of guys who directed pretty much every major feature in the first 18 years of their existence and there's a pattern of people co-directing or being hired to direct, sometimes being taken off the project and then leaving the company shortly afterwards to very reduced career opportunities. Ash Brannon was a co-director of Toy Story 2, which was his last project at Pixar, and in the time since then the only major credits he's had are co-directing Surf's Up and directing Rock Dog, which came out in 2007 and 2016 respectively. David Silverman co-directed Monsters Inc. and doesn't have a single other credit at Pixar. He was an important Simpsons animator and directed The Simpsons Movie so his career would be less likely to suffer if he left Pixar on bad terms. Jan Pinkava directed Geri's Game and was the original director on Ratatouille before he was replaced with Brad Bird and left the company shortly after, and aside from working on a LAIKA movie that never materialized he hasn't had any feature credits since then. Chapman is the most recent example, getting taken off of Brave and replaced with Mark Andrews, who was brought in with Brad Bird during the making of Incredibles.

All of these with the exception of Chapman happened prior to Pixar being fully absorbed by Disney, so it's possible the increasingly corporate atmosphere combined with Lasseter moving far up the chain alleviated some of the problems that existed in Pixar's early days, but based on Rashida Jones' comments I doubt it. The only female director they've ever had got booted off the project, and the only non-white dudes with feature co-director credits are from the last few years (Ronnie del Carmen on Inside Out and now Adrian Molina on Coco) and all of the upcoming movies are going to be directed by white guys too. I haven't done a survey of all of the major animated studios but I bet this is a pattern that extends out to all of them. Disney's first female director was Jennifer Lee on Frozen and she's going to be directing Frozen 2 as well, but she's the only non-white guy feature director in Disney's history.

woo white guys i guess.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

wuffles posted:

Pete Doctor will probably replace Lasseter. Pixar/Disney will endure but as to what can happen with these projects, that animated show Louis C.K. was doing got scuttled and everyone got to look for new jobs.

I love Pete Docter and think he's a great director and (god i hope) a great human being generally, but I really, really think they should not go back to the Pixar well for another leader. Either take someone from inside WDAS or an outside hire.

Joke answer: what's Chris Sanders up to these days?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the only time we actually stop a projector because no one is in the theater is if it's the end of the night and the last person out is going home. Otherwise we just keep the projectors on because we're fuckin' lazy.

and on the topic of lazy theater employees you would have to be incredibly obvious and/or incredibly obnoxious to be caught theater hopping (unless you are a 14 year old trying to see a popular R-rated movie, in which case some employees will take great pride in booting you to whatever movie you bought a ticket for).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Robindaybird posted:

From my understanding from friends, they only care if you're underage in an R movie or if you're trying to hop into a blockbuster that sells out quick (your Star Wars, your Marvel)

yeah although honestly i think the way we should fix people jumping into sold out shows is find the person who doesn't have a ticket and let whichever person had their spot stolen get a free gut shot or two in. crowd justice instead of making the employees sort that poo poo out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

all i want is to watch We Bare Bears without having to be bombarded by TTG. is that so much to ask, CN? I can't use your dumb app because my internet sucks.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ThermoPhysical posted:

No poo poo. (haha) It was quite refreshing to not have to sit through it again.

Everyone in Ferdinand is pretty loving extra too. It's amazing how over-the-top it all is but still manages to be a decent movie.

is it still commie/anti-toxic masculinity propaganda? I hope so.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

If anything, the Cat in the Hat movie has great production design. The sets really look like a Seuss book.

you should really go to Universal Studios in Orlando if you want to check out an awesome Seussian land, the little theme park area they have dedicated to Seuss is very magical and got the widow Seuss' seal of approval.

and then you can go remember what comic books were like back in the late 1990s in the same park, like magic!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

K. Waste posted:

Hot take: Halloween is Grinch Night > How the Grinch Stole Christmas

"You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" is enough reason for me to say that this is BS

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Pick posted:

I don't want to include it because it is extremely bad and deeply unenjoyable but sort of interesting in how wildly and aggressively bad it is. It's not quite tedious-bad, which is a special flavor of badness that I think more people tend to agree on. Like, Troll in Central Park is just a piece of poo poo. I've never met anyone who will defend it, and hardly anyone who can remember it.

see also: Foodfight, which is absolutely bad, but is definitely not boring, but is also literally a movie starring a bunch of advertising characters in a ripoff of Casablanca, which is definitely unimaginative, but also the generic brands are nazis which is nothing if not interesting.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Imma rep for We Bare Bears for a second because I love it, so here's the episode that was nominated for an Annie. It's easy to see why it resonated with animation people: it's about the creative process and has a bunch of artsy in-jokes and a few little surreal touches, but it's also very sweet.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

SolarFire2 posted:

I thought it was outrage over Wall-E not getting a BP nomination.

nah, WALL-E and Dark Knight didn't get BP nominations in the same year and that was the reason we now have more than 5 nominees for that award. The next couple of years Up and Toy Story 3 were nominated for Best Picture, and the Academy, satisfied that their requisite consideration was done, will never nominate another animated movie ever again.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the correct answer is to reverse the roles of the lead and the cute little thing that there are a millions of. Give the Toads their own voices and personalities (ala the Smurfs, which is a much better comparison right down to the goofy hats) and have Mario be the silent character who gets laughs via physical comedy. If you put in him scenes with the Toads as well as Luigi and Peach, the fact that he doesn't talk would be less of an issue.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Dr Snofeld posted:

Do it like the Mario and Luigi games, everyone speaks normally but the two of them who talk in vaguely Italian gibberish.

I prefer the Paper Mario/SMRPG route where Luigi can talk just fine but Mario has to do pantomime to tell people things

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

oh my god what if the Mario animated movie is successful enough that it leads into an Avengers-esque Super Smash Brothers movie?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ccs posted:

A bit of animation history, an interview with veteran animator from WB, UPA, Hanna-Barbera and many other studios during the Golden Age

http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Interviews/Cole/Cole_Interview.html

god just the name "Termite Terrace" really draws a picture, but these stories are kinda incredible:

quote:

Cole: Yes. We worked in what they called Termite Terrace for six months, almost eight months before they tore it down and moved us over to the other place. Willie and I worked there for about a year, maybe. That final day, they just totally demolished the building. They tore down all the pipes, they tore down all the walls. We had a huge party; everybody got bombed out of their minds, and we tore up the whole building, inside out.

Barrier: Willie said they were rolling big trash cans down the hall.

Cole: Oh, God! It was horrendous. Somebody came for a job interview, and we were hanging off the pipes like apes.

They had a hole on the top floor, and you could drop things on people down below. These guys used to pee on top of the guy below them. Some of the jokes—Chuck Jones did a terrible joke on me that last day. We were in there, and I was doing work; I'd come in bombed after lunch, and then I would work in the afternoon. He took my chair and he sawed it, all the way down and all the way up to the top; and he put it all back together. Everybody was sitting there and they were waiting. When I sat in the chair, it collapsed. Well, I could have broken my back. It pissed me off. You can see that even though I had just started off as an assistant in the unit, there was this sort of hostility toward my drawing.

I went to Hawaii to surf in the big waves one winter. Instead of staying three weeks, I stayed four weeks; we took what we called the rubber-band flight, which was a slow plane. When I came back, they were going to give me a cake; they had a cake to present to me, and it sat on my desk. It wasn't a cake—it was horseshit, with candles in it. The trouble was, it stayed there for two weeks, because I was coming in two weeks late. When I got back, and I opened up this cake—it was all sealed and everything—there were lice crawling in it and everything; it was awful. So the gag sort of backfired; because poor Dick Thompson had to go into that room and work. They never thought to remove the cake; they just left it on my desk. We weren't the brightest group.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Huh, that FLCL thing was real.

i'm very annoyed that i missed it.

but hey, at least i got to see tonight's april fools hijinks, the fantastic... *checks notes*

weird australian rick and morty thing

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Eh

Uh..

Who?

No.

desus and mero own fool.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i really hope Grave of the Fireflies played first because I feel like Totoro would be the perfect antidote to the mood at the end of that movie.

on the other hand, if you watch Totoro first and get lulled into a false sense of security then watching GotF would be like being punched in the face.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it'll do fine, the first couple books are well in the childhood-nostalgia zone for a lot of twenty-somethings and it's a pretty evergreen premise with a really obvious hook.

e: uh, wait, what, Disney's doing it? :psyduck: that seems like an... odd fit unless they're positioning it closer to their Marvel/Star Wars stuff. Artemis Fowl is basically YA Shadowrun (and, like, Actual Shadowrun, not Diet Shadowrun like Bright was) and making it a straight up kids' movie would be weird given how violent those books got.

I'm sure it's going to land squarely in the same sphere as the Harry Potter stuff, not a straight up kid's movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

A bunch of news and poo poo from Cinema-Con, all animation or tangentially related to animation:

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988838997077123072
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988840113382637568
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988841039216590848
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988842081165590530
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988845914625265664
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988846247669723136
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988847078330662912
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988850534688833536
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988940251379916800
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/989191707945156608
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/989194101667983360
:siren:
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/989221790449782785
:siren:

A trailer for an animated movie that I'd never heard of until today, but that looks pretty good.
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/989180019569127424

and as a palate cleanser, some Ghibli theme park concept art:

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/989229086982602752

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

IUG posted:

So here's something I just saw from Funko:
https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/991709332986388480

I hadn't even heard of this Pixar film. But then now that I think about it, the only things coming out from Pixar that I know of is Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4.

it's the short that's gonna be screening before Incredibles 2.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Das Boo posted:

If we're talking animated anthologies, I want to say that the Diana segment of Garfield's 9 Lives still makes me, a 30 year-old woman, cry.

the last time I watched it i was practically sobbing, and since then my cat has passed away, I'm sure I'd be incapable of human speech for a good hour after watching it now.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i really like the way they stretched their legs in some parts of TTG(TTM). Lots of scenes where they mix up the art styles and get a little weird, which is nice after so many 3D animated movies with very staid character designs.

although I think it's really funny that the worst looking animation in the entire movie is the brief glance at the "original" titans during the credits, which have aged incredibly poorly and look so fuckin ugly

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Robindaybird posted:

Virginity? That's really kind of skeevy to attach virginity for a line designed for really young girls.

but it is a very appropriate term to attach to the adult fans of Playmobil

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

lelandjs posted:

I would be absolutely fascinated to see what the overlap is between former/current Bronies and the alt right.

Wait. Not fascinated. Horrified.

i was under the distinct impression that MLP allowed bronies to truly understand the depth of the horrors of the holocaust, not claim it didn't exist

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Shadow Hog posted:

It definitely had them, that dance party ending was basically a bunch of 70s songs back-to-back... but the main plot was more fairy-tale send-ups than pop culture memes, if I remember the film correctly (and Lord knows if I do or don't, it's been years since I've seen Shrek).

that wasn't the ending, it was a short that was made for the DVD release.

My sister was just at the age where that poo poo was all she wanted to watch so i feel like if I watched it I could sing along with the whole thing from memory, even though it's been at least a decade since I've seen it

there were definitely lots of pop culture jokes though. a Small World parody, a profession wrestling scene, a dating game reference (complete with The Pina Colada Song), and that's just the first half-hour or so

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Macaluso posted:

They're in the movie but they're probably just a cameo or a short scene, which makes sense.

I am very excited for Griffin to put on his best Douchey DJ Voice

I am just assuming that Griffin is the DJ, Justin is Country Tear and Trav is Hard Rock Tear. I dunno why

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gendy is so good at motion in his animation. His characters in his CG movies move so differently from everything else around, and they work much better for physical humor that is kinda hard to do in 3D animation.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Pixeltendo posted:

I'm glad Spider-ham is making his movie debut

i almost lost my poo poo in the middle of a Starbucks hearing his voice

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

y'know, i was completely ambivalent to the previously announced live action movies because I have no real strong emotional connections to, say, Beauty and the Beast or Sleeping Beauty, but i have a visceral negative reaction to this idea

like, please stop now, Disney

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

There’s a preview of Enter the Spiderverse after Venom and it looks great. The action feels like a comic book and it’s really funny too.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Venom is certainly no masterpiece of cinema and in fact the experience may be helped by a large raucous crowd. A theater with just one or two people might be at risk of taking the movie deadly serious and no one should do that

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

A Bug’s Life is better than Antz because Dave Foley is great and gently caress Woody Allen

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

Dave Foley has done a lot of reprehensible poo poo and also Kevin Spacey voices Hopper, so that's one more way ABL and Antz are similar.

wait what has dave foley done?

i'm gonna regret asking this but it's not gonna stop me from watching Newsradio if the presence of Noted rear end in a top hat Andy Dick and Big Dummy Joe Rogan don't already.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i don't understand why they won't just have Bridalshower Chuckwagon use his regular voice. you hired him, make him be british.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ThermoPhysical posted:

It feels like they're both too cocky now and too set in their ways to be the same every time like their games.

You'd think the failure of Lego Ninjago would have curbed their cockiness of "everyone will see it no matter what".

Though people still pay full price for Lego games so maybe things fundamentally being the same as every other movie they've done is totally fine?[/spoiler]

i dunno, from what I can tell it looks like the message of the movie is similar but not the same, because the first one's dynamic was a father learning to let his son play beyond the instructions, and now this one is probably gonna be the son learning that he and his sister are playing the same way even if the trappings are different. like the whole bullshit divide between "girl toys" and "boy toys".

which is ironic because it's really only the past few years that Lego as a company has bit really hard on making toys aimed primarily at girls that are literally incompatible with "regular" legos to an extent because the mini figures are different.