Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

95 they were testing short tracks and road courses for rain. Only road courses were deemed safe to drive in. I think it's time to try it again with 20 more years of tire tech advances. Hell Michelin has made an intermediate tire into a slick though loads on a p1 car and a cup car a little different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

When those sanctions roll back, wouldn't be shocked same day Mikhail will have the seat back.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Cross post

BMB5150 posted:

This is what happens when you work as an order puller for party rentals in Seattle and a Turn 10 business administrator is throwing a thing for Josef Newgarden from Indycars and you catch wind of this person coming. I'm guessing for FM7 is going to have something more with Indycar racing if Newgarden came up here for a thing.

And Newgarden signed the hotwheels car so pretty cool little thing I got.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/SageKaram/status/827220669561786368

https://twitter.com/SageKaram/status/827346922432299008

Must've heard our thread calling him out.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Random quote from Smokey Yunick about Jim Rathmann,

"And I never liked men who read comic books while they were getting a blow job."

Smokey is quite quotable.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Speaking of USAC how come they've come back to running pavement? F1600/2000/Atlantics all list USAC instead of SCCA on their website.

Hmmm apparently USAC took control of sanctioning this past winter than I thought. They will be sanctioning Pirelli World Challenge now plus all of them. Maybe USAC wanting to get back into pavement sanctioning?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Is Aleshin still confirmed a ride with SMP? It seems like what may or may not happen with the president is contingent on that and highly doubtful now.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Well poo poo I didn't think he'd jump to Indycar. Thought he'd get a manufacture P1 drive but hey I'll take it. And probably an answer on that SMP money not coming in thanks to Flynn.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I'd assumed this was just for fun and not a serious test for a seat this year. Am I wrong?

If Ed Brown and Tequila Patron decides to throw a wad of cash in then maybe.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also loving :lol: at Galmer having a website.

Hell I'm guessing the site was last updated in 1999 and laughing they were doing anything in 99 to want to have a website... well just about everyone wanted a website in 1999 come to think of it.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.galmerinc.com/

3-D Printing?

Was that when it was last updated, 99?

I looked at the HTML and said HTML 4.01 on the top, googled that and led to articles in 99. From the super basic HTML and designs looking late 90s as gently caress I'd say it's near 99.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

You'd have to do some juggling IMO.

I can only see Mercedes Benz coming if Penske was the partner.

Then Ganassi or Andretti would have to be Chevy (Cosworth?) and Honda powered.

Problem there is Illmor is practically connected to Penske iirc. It'd have to be Andretti since they're now 2nd fiddle again but now with Honda.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

gret posted:

There was a kid named Sting Ray Robb in the Pro Mazda race.

Still not as good as Slick Racin Gardner.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Spaced God posted:

Maybe now that Bernie is out FOM will play nice and we get a spring race at COTAS.

A boy can dream.

I'd think it had less to do with and more to do with Eddie Gossage throwing a shitfit for not sharing a race in Texas.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Every other article has kinda implied it. Pretty much saying "Yeah we need to go back to the Pacific Northwest", etc

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/131682-indycar-miles-on-2017-schedule-prospects

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-eyes-northwest-expansion-for-2018-mexico-for-19-844234/

http://www.espn.com/racing/blog/_/n...le.com%2F%22%7D

Wonder it's a matter of sponsor? Perhaps XBox would like to use it as a platform for Forza, etc? I don't know, just a thought.

Yeah he's so bizarrely intimidated of that track.

As we've said again and again, Portland needs a renovation safety wise and for outside facilities. Only other place in the PNW is Pacific Raceways but that is in more dire need of a renovation than Portland and has had big plans for over a decade that have never panned out except for a cool rear end go kart track. So you'll need someone with tons of money to blow to get a track back going up here.

Though getting Microsoft and Turn 10's attention to help, yeah they might sponsor it since it's local to them.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

George Zimmer posted:

Surely one of Portland's artisanal lightbulb makers or feminist bookstores would sponsor a a race.

I'm ready for Voodoo Doughnuts to sponsor the race and call it the Cock and Balls Grand Prix.
http://voodoodoughnut.com/mobile/voodoo-doughnut-mobile-doughnuts.php

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

Does anyone remember that story of a sportscar tub that last like 13 years and kept being refreshed, but was the same original tub? I want to say it started as like a Courage C65, but ran under like 6 different names over the years (C65, C75, ARX01, ARX03, OAK, Morgan) before finally being retired last year. I probably screwed up like 80% of the facts in that story, but it was something like that. Gotta beat that record.

I guess you theoretically could have run an '03 Dallara tub until '11, although I think the oldest still running was an '06. And a '12 tub until at least 2020 now.

Reminds me of an old restrictor plate cup car that started out as a 97 Thunderbird and was racing a few years ago as a Charger.

But also didn't hear about a Courage that got updated over and over with help from Oreca I'm betting.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

KingShibby posted:

Established sports car outlet that's expanding into open wheel and stock car. I'm writing IndyCar stuff for them. This is a much better idea than trying to start my own thing.

I think I know one of the guys from IMSA Fans FB group. Maybe even the founder but cool to see you moving up.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Do the Chevy's have different end plates?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

yall assume WEC is gonna last

i dont care if he runs 1 race or 100, ill be happy to have him over here in the Good Series for as long as hes interested

Watch they have to designate imsa as the world championship like they did in the 90s.

Yeah bets are more 500s if it goes well and Le Mans as well.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Well I just thought, man would it be nasty if they wreck in the beginning.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

wicka posted:

Didn't hear the atheist stuff but I thought his ex-wife (Brook?) was the reason he became religious.

Brooke was the reason for the super Christian part and I do remember the video about being Christian and married. Though according to Gordon's book he is "spiritual" blending all sorts of teachings and stuff so yeah he is not atheist but not the Uber Christian that he was.

Also wooo it's May!

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

L_Harrison posted:

Mike Pence coming to Indy? Russian driver in the race? Guys...

I'm ready for the Louise Mensch article about this.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

So Denver Post shitcanned Terry Frei who felt "uncomfortable" with Sato winning.

Yeah I know deadspin post but here you go.
https://deadspin.com/denver-post-columnist-fired-after-racist-tweet-about-in-1795634687

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

Late to the show but can I get in on this tag? And I still need to figure out a new av too since this is old as poo poo.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

iospace posted:

I'd totally give you back the Will Power one but it's been lost to the ages. RIP.

I'm thinking something with JDC-Miller's banana boat Oreca. Oh I see Soap got destroyed back in March. Farewell Will Power double bird, we knew you so well.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Bentai posted:

Unless it was animated or something, shouldn't be too hard to recreate from source. :D

True but time for a little change.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

iospace posted:

If you were going to do that, you could have added the tag yourself

Oh well, the tag request is in.

Thank you! Save the old av just in case I want to bring it back.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

WindyMan posted:

I bet Shell doesn't show up in NASCAR because of Sunoco. NASCAR loves to keep their major sponsors exclusive if they can help it.

Funny enough that scenario happened when Harvick won the 500 and had a giant shell logo on his driver suit and NASCAR had a fit over it. They had to put Pennzoil under it and make the Shell logo smaller.

They should do the Johnny Benson Pennzoil car next year.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Let's add another big driver to the silly season lineup, Brendan Hartley

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143665-lmp1-champ-hartley-on-honda-s-indycar-radar

Now I wonder if silly season would've been more sane if Andretti switched the Chevrolet at this point.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Bentai posted:

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/detroit-grand-prix-needs-to-leave-belle-isle-say-park-activists

The parks department in Detroit are taking public opinions ahead of future negotiations on whether to renew the Indycar contract or not.

Good luck in trying to force the race out with GM and Penske at the helm of that race.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Human Grand Prix posted:

Also, Belli more or less admitted the rear wheel boxes didn't do their job.

Servia and Montoya both bitched the aero was pushing weight behind the tires so it was snap pushing the cars. Same interview both of them were like holy poo poo this car you can put the nose to the gearbox in the turns and that crappy snap push was gone.

The lovely thing is we got 6 loving months until we can see them racing.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

iospace posted:

I hope to the gods someone gives Stefan Wilson a ride for it next year.

Wasn't it agreed upon with Andretti he'll have a car ready for him since Alonso took his seat for obvious reasons.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

The Croc posted:

I wouldn't mind Fontana as the season ender anythings better than Sonoma which should have a place on the calendar but its not a great track for a finale.

I'd say do Sonoma same place, but add Mexico after that to early to mid October, then finale at California in late October, early November. Dodge the ugly summers both have and for California do it a Saturday night where we won't be waiting til 9 pm for sundown in the summer.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Human Grand Prix posted:

Gee Scott Goodyear is just awful. All this guy did in '94 was run into other cars it seems.

Where are you at in 94. He'll do one thing besides that... well lucked his way.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Peanut President posted:

There's always Evergreen.

Revive the Tacoma street course so I can just walk an hour into downtown.
http://www.racing-reference.info/race/1986_Schuck's_Tacoma_Grand_Prix_200/P

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

financially racist posted:

i don't think a driver aa bad as karam making it to indycar can happen more than like once a decade

Well lot better than the prospects of Marty Roth and Milka Duno who were racing 10 years ago.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Human Grand Prix posted:

I have no opinions about Danica Patrick. Her career probably lasted as long as it did due to her considerable backing but wasn't she just some throwaway below average driver?

More or less average in IRL days. Only thing she had going for her was she always had a knack for Indy for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

KingShibby posted:

I've been putting off writing for awhile now, I guess it's time to fire up Word. Gotta show up these :turianass: professional writers :turianass:

Eh just beat Dagys in being a petty poo poo and you're golden. He decided to get petty that Alonso not to give an interview even though his guys told him he can't take interviews.

Anyways annual reminder to listen to Dinner with Racers. Dixon knows Ice Ice Baby by heart and dished on IROC that it was like driving at your local go-kart track trying to get the good car, while you're stuck with the poo poo car. Oh and during the burglary at the Taco Bell with Dixon and Franchitti, first thing Franchitti thought it was Kanaan pulling a prank causing a ruckus.

• Locked thread