Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I'm thankful everyday since my thirtieth birthday that I was raised in household with soda so I never became dependent on it. I credit drinking nothing but black coffee, unsweet tea, and water with like 90% of the reason I've never had a real problem with my weight even with my relatively lovely diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mad Dragon posted:

Ronald Reagan.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

God drat hell YES I love when people post screenshots of their freaking alarms !!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

whelp my back is dead

Goondolences. Back injuries are the worst. :(

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

Any recommendations for good podcasts similar to Hardcore History or The History of English?

I know you're probably looking for history podcasts, but if you dig the linguistics side of the History of English as much I have a couple of recommendations of you're interested.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

Sure that would be excellent.

Lexicon Valley is a really excellent podcast from Slate about general linguistics topics. It's pretty prolific, so feel free to skip around a bit. About 3/4's of the way through they switch hosts to Professor John McWorter who's really good. Since he took over the show has started to focus on American English a bit more but it's still really interesting and I could listen to him explain stuff all day. His recent episodes on American English becoming "blacker" and his one about the Movie Arrival and the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis were really good.

Words For Granted is relatively new and focuses on the history of English vocabulary and how words and their meaning have shifted over time. It deals with history a lot more then Lexicon Valley does, plus each episode is 20 minutes or less so they're easy to catch up with and listen to.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

Thanks for these

:hfive:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The Rat posted:

Yeah I stopped. Having that happen twice in a year was enough for me. No other exercise I do has that kind of risk or injury potential.

I've been doing kettlebell swings to work that area in the meantime. What other lower back exercises are there that aren't as risky?

Yeah my lumbar is all hosed up and the sheer across my vertebrae always made me nervous and uncomfortable during deadlifts. I switched to a sumo style deadlift (the hexagonal looking bar you stand in the middle of) and it was way better. Your back is a lot straighter vertically during the exercise.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Unsweet tea superiority

Fight me.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

All I have are plastic coat hangars! :argh:

Yeah, those didn't work for your mom either. :(

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Who the gently caress makes pancakes with water instead of milk

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hey Dad chatters, I'm looking for suggestions for simple and healthy lunch options for the work week.

I used to just make an extra half portion or so of dinner and bring the leftovers in for lunch.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

dear dad thread I have fallen into the star trek tng hole

:krad:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

says "repeat" on platoon net and gets chewed out because what if some arty batt was listening in and just started firing on ???

Haha, if you think radio discipline in the Army of dumb then your head would explode from how pants on head turbo retarded high side chat is in the Navy.

I've seen O-6's come over the top to crush people for not saying "out" after a message or not saying "this is [your name]," even though their user name is right next to the loving chat. It's ridiculous.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

While I myself have never signed a lease or owned a house there, I have a lot of family members in Linthicum and can confirm that it's a pretty ok place to live. It's your typical quiet suburb, but it's got a decent commute to the Annapolis Junction area and if you get bored it's a short trip to either Baltimore, DC, or Annapolis proper. As for the MAGA%, I can't really say. I suspect it's probably between 50 and 60% there.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Andrew WK loving rules, and puts on amazing live shows.

The first show I ever saw him in ended with a dude in a wheelchair rushing the stage and wheelchair dancing next to AWK, AWK going, "gently caress yeah!", picking the full grown man up out of his chair and putting him in his shoulders so they could dance around together. AWK never stopped singing or got winded.

The second show I saw him at started with him walking directly from outside the club eating a burrito onto the stage where he tossed the burrito away and immediately started the first song.

The dude owns.

:colbert:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Did I miss Sled Driver chat? Oh well, have my favorite picture from it anyway:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Two Finger posted:

You got a copy?

Sort of.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah the USAA car buying service is great, especially if you hate shopping for cars in general.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Zeris posted:

Wow privilege much

:confused:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is exactly what I have right now. It gets a consistent 36 mpg combined city/highway and feels nice to drive, but I live in California and I'm pretty sure CARB is going to sneak out into the DMV parking lot and smash it with a giant Bugs Bunny hammer the next time I try to renew my registration if I don't accept whatever gimped fix VW comes up with.

Yeah. I'm sort of in the same boat, but not in California. I like driving the car, and it's great for long trips so I've been waffling on either getting the fix and keeping it or taking the buyout.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The problem with any self driving vehicle is we have no way to teach a computer how to react like a person. The sheer amount of complex reasoning the human brain is capable of is astounding. None of the tech is remotely close to being able to navigate well marked but confusing intersections intuitively. They have custom setups for the tricky spots like that, but that's not feasible on a mass scale. America is full of shoddy roads, lovely signage, poor markings, and construction. We need massive developments into cognitive reasoning and how to implement that in order for self driving to really become a reality.

Right now the technology works because a computer can easily just track a well marked road and behave accordingly at various intersections, but they have no clue how to deal with anything beyond that and you end up with headless tesla owners as a result.

The bigger problem with self driving cars is that they are programmed to take actions that will kill their drivers instead of pedestrians or other drivers in emergencies. That narrative will never fly with the American populace.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 17, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

just lol if your hair isn't starting to grey at your temples.

Your new av is great.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Scott Pilgrim
Pacific Rim
Kick-rear end
Maybe Ip man 1 and 2
Speed Racer

Yeah I'm 12 so what 🤷🏽‍♀️

TBeats posted:

Shoot Em Up is still my GOAT mindless action flick.

Look at these chuckle fucks pretending John Wick doesn't exist.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

TBeats posted:

OLD BAY BITCH

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Bolow posted:

If you remember the :krad: Neil Blomkamp thing RAKKA I linked in here awhile ago. He just released a new short film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0V24IEHao

It's starts of The Thing like but goes in a waaaay different direction.

I was skeptical at first because there seemed like a lot of very different things getting smashed together, but I was definitely onboard for the ending.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

Just watched the first 'sode of GLOW, seems good so far

I'm 9 episodes in and really enjoying it. It's p good.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Splash some water in the rice and reheat in a sealed container, like tupperware or whatever.

Living in Japan, this is the secret to me salvaging the rare bit of leftovers I bring home.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I appreciate this thread making me feel like Sherlock loving Holmes for figuring out the arrow pointed at the gas tank when I was 15.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

psydude posted:

I have to go to Oman for work in a couple of weeks. Still waiting to hear back from the customer, but I'm pretty sure I'll be in Muscat. Anyone been there before that can recommend some stuff to see/do?

If you've got a car and a GPS, go check out Wadi Shab. My buddy who spent time in country and I hiked it when I was there a few years ago. It's beautiful and there's no better way to beat the heat of the Omani desert. Despite the fact that it's, "world famous," we didn't see another soul while we were there until we were on the way out. It was awesome. Make sure you bring a dry bag, water shoes, and plenty of water though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

did Smashing Pumpkins have any other songs?

loving kids these days. God drat.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

suboptimal posted:

The difference between listening to Weezer's Pinkerton album as a teenager and now as someone in their early 30s is that Rivers Cuomo's Asian fetish stands out in extremely sharp relief and becomes seriously creepy.

Yeah, but that album still rules though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Interesting way to try and bring your wife back

Holy gently caress dude.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ONE oval office WOLF PACK posted:

Pumpkin Pecan is the best pie if you didn’t already know

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Hahahaha holy poo poo.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Remake of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation looking... not entirely blasphemous.

Just finished watching this again for the first time this season. Movie still rules.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Your Battle Buddy posted:

How far did you have to carry a printer this time?

Nice.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Goldeneye ruled. gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Also even though the movie sucked, I really liked the idea behind Tomorrow Never Dies.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Anybody got a discord link? I think I would miss bantering with you fucks if SA finally dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

thanks bruh

• Locked thread