Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

My CO just likes to talk about the Civil War.

But enough about Current Events...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Already had that conversation. The worst part was I was ok with driving 1000 miles to test at my NOSC but one of my officers talked me out of it saying it should be fine to take my test at the closer NOSC.

Aren't you an IT? Have to be a couple of you testing at the same time, they can just split the test and be done with it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

Whats the most important quality in looking for a wife?

Trick question, we're all gay.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Downtown Waikiki is gayer than a bag of dicks.

And I was suppose to do my AT in Hawaii before this MOB, oh well

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Have you read the 6110.1? If so, that puts you ahead of like half the CFLs.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Being back around Big Navy and junior Sailors is hilarious as nothing changes. Listening in line to them bitching about having no money after paying for new truck, house, and phone.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DuffelBlog always too close to factual http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/12/drunk-navy-seabee-liberty/

In other news, y'all should really take a cruise. Being underway and drinking and having a suite is awesome. My husbear and I are taking our belated honeymoon from Venice to Athens with stops in between and it has been fantastic.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Boon posted:

Starting a summer internship today, looking forward to this civilian work life you speak of

Congrats!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just visited the Navy Memorial here in DC. Everyone needs to come visit DC and see the sights.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Coming up for two weeks starting Sunday. because gently caress me I'm still in (part time).

Same here. We're all dumb!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

Khakis can do no wrong.

Why would you have to repeat something that is know?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I ran it in 55 with a driving rain. Still got a 12:00 on the run but it was loving miserable.

Look at this newbie that doesn't understand that the bike is the light.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

:chiefsay: Why the gently caress isn't he cleaning?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol I took ADT orders to work at my NOSC.

Welp, at least you can help people in your unit with NOSC bullshit. Or don't.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Happy I was an East Coast Sailor.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Vriess posted:

see fuckin' Dunkirk

In IMAX

Now.

Did you see it in 70mm IMAX?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Not all of us are living in a huge city

If you consider Indianapolis a huge city then, gently caress man.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/888924385188356096

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

If memory serves me correctly from talking to an IT1 I worked with years ago, when he was on a USNS vessel he had a stateroom and not a giant berthing we had while on the amphibs. Give it a shot, go to sea. Everyone should go to sea atleast once in their career.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Zeris posted:

What is blood money in this context?

Bonus money to stay on as a SWO for his Department Head (senior O-3, O-4) tour.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Uh.... just got done watching a 9 month old for 30 minutes. A senior chief got stuck with someone's crotchspawn while they were testing and she pawned it off to me so she could do some work.
Whole bunch of CPO selects running around no idea why they didn't have them do it as hazing.

Not sure if this is a new low or a new high. At least I didn't have to change his nappy.

You got paid to be a babysitter for a human that actually needs babysitting. Be happy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Holy poo poo I just saw an instructor tell like 30 sailors it's ok to bring someone down with an arm bar then drive their knee into the back of the neck/ head in order to gain compliance.
"Remember these are the bad guys we don't care if they get hurt ".

These are moves for dealing with drunks and non-compliant individuals not active combatants.

Are you taking an Auxilary Security Forces course?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Thronde posted:

Goddamn you guys make O life sound awful. But I'm still pushing the LDO button in 2019 in hopes of picking up.

As LDO I know I'll never be able to command, so what does the career track look like?

What designator are you applying for?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

TVS, as I can't add anything more than what has already been said, I will be a good :chiefsay: and piggyback off those comments. Good job by you and your Sailors.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

No radar is loving dumb.

Even if you're trying some EMCON stuff or being lazy, at least have a Furuno going.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LordNad posted:

USNS is a civilian crew. Some have military members on board but they are overwhelmingly civilian. USN =/= USNS

Speaking of that, did y'all see a few days ago when they redesignated/reflagged the USNS Chesty to USS. I would post the USNI article on it but at work and :effort:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The gently caress is the point of a warship that can't go to war?

Corporate welfare.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

We no longer have a goon skipper. :rip:

MML post command now?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah he survived and didn't make it to the front page of the times and is off to go do really cool nerdy poo poo that he likes.

God Speed!

Makes me think of one of the SWOs I met in Afghanistan who was talking about how weird it when being skipper of a DDG to then being at the Pentagon being in charge of no one.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Short shorts are the best.

I enjoyed when we didn't have a set PT uniform. Was fun being at a joint command and having some sort of joint run for like Independence Day or something. First, seeing the Army and Marines being there usual proper formations and having manuals to do formations. Then you'd have the AF doing their thing. Finally, it was us kind of milling about in no real formation with just about everyone in a different shirt and shorts. Truly it was the best for dumb, group events.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Driving home from Walmart in Great Lakes, saw a dude on the street corner with a cardboard sign. He was wearing an army digi blouse and his sign said :

"Homeless veteran. USS Patriot DD-214"

What.

My wife won't let me drive back to get a pic.

World War II destroyer USS TRACY. Was really hoping it was named Patriot.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

my unit used some other command's MAP spots and promoted to third a kid who took two tries to pass his last PRT. Semper fortis.

We're not the Coast Guard, :chiefsay: Shipmate :chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Training Air Wing ONE Confirms T-45 Mishap in Tennessee

quote:

MERIDIAN, Miss. (NNS) -- At approximately 9:40 a.m. Oct. 2, Training Air Wing ONE, based at Naval Air Station (NAS) Meridian, Miss., confirmed the T-45 belonging to Training Squadron SEVEN (VT-7) that went missing yesterday afternoon has crashed in East Tennessee.

Two pilots were aboard the aircraft, an instructor and a student. The pilots did not survive the incident. Names of the pilots are being withheld until 24 hours after next of kin notification.

An investigation will commence to determine the cause of the mishap.

Training Air Wing ONE is one of five training wings that belong to CNATRA.

For information updates, contact the CNATRA Command Public Affairs Office.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Not to mention how is it in any way plausible that he'd be still flying (as a military member) after 30+ years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0upucZgRTo&t=47s

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

I should've clarified in the routine operational sense.

I figured but, I just immediately thought back to those AFN commercials and had to find it to post.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Happy 242nd Birthday!

Yardarm for y'all today. Except for the duty section, and except for those involved in the drill, and except for those preparing for inspection. You know what, go sweep something :chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Well, I'm now officially a Reserve Career Counselor. Worst AT ever. No per diem.

The records review was a surprisingly-not-at-all-surprising cold appraisal of the fact that yes, every NOSC I've ever been to has screwed up my record. Missing evals, missing awards, double eval overlap, missing NECs, missing education, etc etc.

But now I have The Juice. All it took was six SAAR-Ns and approval from the NOSC SEL and XO.

Congrats on now being about to help your Sailors out as a CCC. Also enjoy doing CDBs. I always enjoyed sitting in on those to find out more about the Sailors since, unlike active, I usually only got about 2-3 minutes with a person to find out what they've been up to for a whole month.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

4 months until I can start terminal leave. Kind of surreal.

That's retirement for you, right? What's the plan for real life?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Bright orange would be effective and a nod to our POTUS.

Just need what they wear on BSG.

I got nostalgic for the old utilities seeing Sailors in the blue or green camo. Then again I'm the guy that just wears khakis for drill weekend since I never understood wearing camo when I work an office job. I understand deployed or if your job is dirty but sitting in an A/C space on a computer is neither stateside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

piL posted:

I'm going to talk about something important. Put that coffee down. Coffee is for qualified only. You think I'm loving with you? I am not loving with you. I'm here from San Dog. I'm here for Rowden. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name is Levene? You call yourself a SWO you son of a bitch? You certainly don't pal cause the good news is you're fired.

As you all know, first prize is a Ford Mustang. Second prize is a SWO pin. Third prize is you're fired. You get the picture? You laughing now?

Bunch of losers sitting in a bar. "Oh yeah, I used to be a SWO. It's a tough racket." (drinks fake drink)

What's your name?

gently caress you, that's my name.