Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Navy 2017: It'll get better after The Yards INSURV ORSE Deployment .....gently caress.

It gets better when you get out. Don't believe anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Now I'm curious if the later diesel-electric subsmight've actually smelled better because they had to be surfaced and open to the air for extended periods. I mean probably not because the sanitary facilities were next to nonexistent by modern standards but I doubt they smelled like cat piss.

The "submarine smell" is a chemical compound, specifically amine. Amine is used in the carbon dioxide scrubbers, and the smell is prevalent throughout the hull, regardless if the submarine is surfaced or submerged. If you walk on top of a submarine and and stand over/look down the hatch the smell will waft up and hit you in the face. The chemical traces permeate clothing, so if you return home after working on a submarine and toss your clothes in a pile, that pile will smell like "submarine" so much so to the extent that housemates, girlfriends, and spouses that have never been on a submarine know what they smell like.

Things may have changed since I got out in '12, but I doubt it. When I was stationed at NRMD I had the opportunity to visit about 15-20 different submarines and they all had the distinct odor.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I was on the Lincoln and then precommed the Bush, and both of those had a very distinct and same Aircraft Carrier smell. In my mind, the smell of depression.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

orange juche posted:

My coveralls still smell like aircraft carrier.

The only thing I kept when I got out of the Navy were my coveralls. I kept them so that everytime I moved, which I hate doing, I could throw away a pair and re-live, however briefly, the great and immense joy I felt the day I left the Navy. Unfortunately I have now moved enough that I no longer have any Navy uniforms to throw away, and am left only with my FTN tattoo to remind me of just how god drat good it felt to get out of the Navy. (And this post too, now, haha!)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Rx Department has the anime smell wherever it goes. Surface or Sub.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cerekk posted:

Subs smell way better than they used to when you could smoke on them. They used to smell like stale cigarettes, amine, and recycled farts. Now they just smell like amine and recycled farts.

Subs that have integrated crews smell like amine and recycled farts covered over with Axe body spray.

I got out right as the first two women officers were reporting to subs in Guam. I have heard that there are now submarines with enlisted women as well. Do they just retrofit and do one sub at a time and try to make the crew 50/50 or whatever, or are they sending just one or two women to each sub?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Madurai posted:

NO loving poo poo

My EAOS was in '92

If you had just stayed in a few more years you could have gotten the Spanish-American War campaign ribbon!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

EBB posted:

When your power plant is multiple nuclear reactors the checklist for pushing might have a couple of extra steps in it.

Yeah, but that is us in RX. IT3 can go home and the ship would launch just fine.

Ninja edit: RX is like 500 people, so any one dozen of them could go home and the ship would launch just fine.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Godholio posted:

I'm all about getting a mug for the unit (and I'm still salty that NAWDC kept my money) but that's the dumbest goddamned thing I've seen all day.

I take it you have not reported to work yet today.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I was slightly overweight by Navy standards, mostly due to how they measure BMI. Those huge fat folks with necks the size of tree trunks had less BMI than I did by their measurements.(Not sure if this is still how they 'measure' BMI) Always passed the PFAs though. Anyway, I got adsepped for it. It was an honorable discharge, and they had to cut me a check as well. The funny thing is that I was adsepped in April of 2012 and my EAOS was May of 2012. I had an LCPO at the time that I did not get along with, and I imagine that is why I was separated vice just being allowed to leave the service at my EAOS. But jokes on them; I kept all my benefits, got a check, and started a job making 100k+ even quicker. Only bad part of this is that if you have more than 60 days of leave you can only sell back 60, so I lost about 15. Oh well, good trade in my opinion.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

How many procedurally generated T-shirts from sketchy Facebook ads do you have? How many of them have a "Big Dog" on em?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This bullshit is now your prescribed uniform of the day for when you hang out at the mall for 3 hours trying to catch sailors with unbloused trousers.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

All the civmar ships are going to have a handful of Navy folk, although not many. I had the joy of serving on a mixed crew ship, one of the submarine tenders, and it was a strange arrangement.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I got a job with good healthcare. I imagine options will differ based on what your rate was and your prospects at civilian employment.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Part of the answer would also depend on how many people you have, what your income level is, etc.... I would imagine you are working now, aside from the reserves? Does your employment offer any healthcare coverage? I imagine you elected against it, if you are going tri-care. If you are in relatively good health and your occupation offers a Health Savings Account that is probably a better option. Give us a few more specifics/details of the situation and perhaps we can figure out some advice that would fit your situation?

That being said, there are really only a few options; utilize what is provided, if any, by your employer, utilize a subsidized public program, the cost of which would be income dependant, or utilize Tri-Care here. I mean, I guess you could go without, but please don't consider that a viable option.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

I'm not working now, wife is and her employer's insurance is like 3x the premium for less coverage. I'm graduating in the spring with a CS bachelor's, so hopefully on the upper end of the employability spectrum. I'm in good health, wife has chronic issues and we have a kid.

I would imagine in that case that you can probably end up with a job with fairly good insurance once you graduate. Especially if you are in the right area for it, like Seattle, Austin, Silicon Valley, NYC, Pittsburgh, Omaha, or are willing to move to such locations for work.

Due to chronic illness I would advise not utilizing a health savings plan, as the odds of ever making an appreciable savings for that are likely non existent. With a chronic illness I would look at a plans maximum out of pocket cost per individual and family, and the deductible, because I would assume you will hit that every year. Does tri-care outside of active duty work like active duty, just with a monthly rate? Is it like you pay the 210/month and then have unlimited utilization?

Were you a Nuke or another rate? The reason I ask is if you have an industrial background like Nuke/Engineering then data centers are an option that opens up, and a lot of the data centers could use people with the technical background and the computer science knowledge to help build out specific internal systems for operating data centers. Data centers also have the unique advantage of being associated with the glamorous tech companies, but in more varied locations. For example, if you wanted to work for Google/Facebook but live in Oregon, then the data centers are a real good option.

If you (or anyone else in this thread) wants more information on data center work or applying for them let me know and I can assist with that.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I do know that we are building out in Midlothian, which is to the Southwest of Dallas-Ft. Worth area. I would imagine there are a few other companies that have a presence in Texas as well. Virginia also has a lot, so if you are transferring out of the Navy you can head up to Richmond or DC area and be knee deep in all sorts of data center jobs. Only drawback there is that the cost of living and traffic are bad.

Data Center Locations for various companies:

Reno/Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
Dallas Ft. Worth
Herndon, VA/Loudon County VA/ DC
Rural Oregon - Central/Eastern
Rural Washington -Central/Eastern
Tulsa
Omaha area
Atlanta
Rural Alabama (I see no reason to ever go there)
NYC has the largest telco data center, but it is in Manhattan, so maybe commute and cost of living would be problematic.
Denver has a few colocation sites
The Midwest has some around Chicago and Columbus I believe.
I can do some digging if needed too

https://www.midlothianmirror.com/news/20190614/midlothian-is-worth-google-tech-giant-hosts-welcoming-event-at-new-375-acre-data-center

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

Tricare Reserves has the ~$210/mo premium, and some kind of cost-sharing or copay structure each time you are seen or treated.

After you've paid up to your family cost-sharing cap for the year which is something like $1100, you don't come further out of pocket for anything but monthly premiums. We've hit this cap about 2/3 of the way through the year, every year since I've been a reservist. So our max annual medical expenses are something like ballpark $3600 and as much as I dislike the inconvenience of still technically being a sailor, I expect that will be tough to beat in a private plan.

I took a look at the Tricare reserve select plan and I do think it will be hard to beat that with most plans. It seems reasonable to think your total cost with a good employer provided coverage would be 3-5k more a year. But if you land a job as a SWE making 150+, then I would imagine shelling out 2-3k extra year would be more than worthwhile to get the 10% of your life back from the Navy. Although I have never been in the reserves, so I don't know how cheesy/easy it is, but I like having long hair and the occasional edible, so no reserves experience for me.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Cordle, who was the Reactor Officer onboard the Bush when I was there for commissioning was just about the best officer I think I ever had in my chain of command. I have tons of respect for that guy. The Rx department goat locker certainly hated him though; he was "ruining the Navy" and "Not letting Chiefs run their divisions like they should be". We had this rotational staffing schedule for our commissioning, at his insistence, instead of being stuck in 3 or 4 day duty rotation. Of course being on shift work was kind of a drag, but for 18 months there were no duty days and at least one 4 day weekend a month. He was always looking out for us where he could. Unfortunately that just made the goat locker try twice as hard to gently caress us, but those are the breaks!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I guess I am confused why anyone would ever give a poo poo about what someone else's sleeve rolls looked like?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The absolute best thing about the Navy is no longer being in it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The second best thing about the Navy is my sweet blue and gold FTN tattoo. Got it done in Newport News and the guy was ex Navy so he gave me half off. Best military discount ever.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

By the time I get out I will have been in for 9 years. I'm looking for the healthcare, and to make an extra k on my retirement.

You want to make the extra 1k on retirement then get out and get a job as soon as you can with a company that does a good match. Don't let the Navy's lovely retirement trick you into giving up the best years of your life and poisoning your opportunities afterwards.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

May I inquire as to what community you were with?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I was able to utilize the skills and resume building from the Navy to secure a very good job that allows me to be a much more active parent, so that was the best thing about the Navy. It was still a terrible experience that may have caused some legitimate mental health damage to me though.

gently caress the Navy brother, glad to hear you are getting out!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

When we picked up the airwing in San Diego my friends always liked to go to Rei Do Godos . It is a Brazilian Steakhouse. Spendy, but had some great times there. It was the celebration location for the end of deployment vegan challenge my best buddy and I did.
https://reidogado.net/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am so insanely glad I am out of the Navy. The combination of the Navy and Coronavirus is just going to be the world's biggest poo poo show.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

I thought Naples was totally fine when I went last year?

I imagine that comment was in response to Coronavirus in Italy not being contained.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus Christ, what a clusterfuck. Exactly as I would predict from the Navy.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I love the response post to me, which was totally reasonable, being blown up by the Navy in the next post. Like, in the grand scheme of things, who cares or needs the reserve sailors? (Not to be rude) I only ever saw them get gently caress jobs and cleaning and painting for two weeks. Let the reserves take this summer off. Or mobilize them to help with dispersion of goods and medicine in a month.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

lightpole posted:

The Comfort and Mercy are being pushed to CA and NY even though they are anything but deployment ready. RRF vessels in SF are all being pushed to be ready for immediate activation even though one is still in its yard period and the Henry is looking at sea trials after her repairs from the fire. The original mission was supposed to be SEA in the fall but now it sounds like they might be contingency planning for coronavirus possibly.

I assume they are going to take non Coronavirus cases onboard to lessen the burden at local hospitals?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

This might blow your 'take my 9mm apart on my watch' mind but it turns out Sailors are mostly loving idiots who actually hardly know their gear and are kept afloat by DoD civilians and contractors. Some of that is because NETC is a tremendous shitshow, some of it is because the CoC is a shitshow.

It doesn't really matter who's fault it is, but is hilarious seeing crew after crew gently caress themselves because some idiot FC2 who went to school for 5 months thinks they know how their system works instead of listening to the loving engineer that designed it and for some reason their also idiot department head takes their case to the CO or Flag level and puts a ton of roadblocks in the way of actual progress.

Basically on a technical level the Navy is turbofucked until big Navy actually wants to spend the time and money to teach Sailors their systems, or they stop promoting jackholes that can't troubleshoot their way out of a condom.

While we're at it stop hiring on the DoD side based on nepotism because I swear to god the next time I hear "AS A FORMER SAILOR"

No I'm doing totally fine in quarantine after a week, why do you all ask?

Shipmate, are you ok?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

I work with a bunch of 60 year old retired chiefs what do you think?

I would quit.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This further reinforces that my decision to get a FTN tattoo was the right decision.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Oh yeah for sure.. dude tries to call me out for not caring about peeps and so I should bow down and lick his fuckin boots when he tries to say I don’t care about irl peeps... it’s ok i get that bruh can’t be bothered to read up on previous posts in the thread before trolling but w/e... it’s all good, just post an update to the rules when we need to lick rando boots for rando reasons mkay?

Were you a chief? Because this is exactly the weasly mush mouth bullshit I would expect from a chief. It goes along with you parading and prattling on about how much of a hero you were to your sailors.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

I have zero faith in the current SECNAV so literally any credibility is better than his.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It is almost as if an institution based upon promoting nobility to leadership positions with little consideration to their ability has caused long term structural problems within the institution. :thunk:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

So... since I’ve already got a rep in this this for controversial opinions about leadership (aka omg how dare you care about peeps, how dare you intermingle between the classes, how dare you be a pleb who rose to the patrician status)

If this is honestly why you think you have a "rep" in this thread you need to lurk more. Your reputation in this thread is in part because you make every statement about how great you are, including this bullshit humblebrag.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Empty quoting

e: I was about to pedant, and then I erased it, and then I came back. I could have sworn there wasn't poo poo on 02 amidships. Like Safety Office was 140 ish starboard but I don't remember anything else on O-2. I'm apparently forgetting an entire level of an aircraft carrier.

It has been 10 years since I have been on a carrier, but I seem to recall there being a barbershop and a tiny ship store on the 0-2 level? On the Lincoln at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am honestly surprised I can remember where anything other than the galley, berthing, and the plant were. It would be kind of fun to get to take a tour of the Ford class carriers I would think. But I also think I am probably fine never setting foot on a naval vessel again.