Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DivisionPost posted:

Holy loving poo poo, tonight's Sweet/Vicious.

The show just keeps getting better.

It really does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

muscles like this! posted:

Was she actually naked for all of those scenes or was it a body double? Some of her scenes were definitely shot in such a way to make it easy to fake.

She's said in interviews that she and Evan Rachel Ward did their own nude scenes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I hate procedurals about as much as I hate sitcoms, but I loved PoI from the beginning. I had severe PTSD and could relate to Caviezel's performance completely. The stiff reactions and uncomfortableness in his own skin was something I could totally understand and watching him loosen up as the series progressed until he finally got some redemption was wonderful.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Okay, the first episode of Taboo was interesting. Jonathan Pryce as an evil bastard and Tom Hardy glowering.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

They are in the Bad Place.

Really? Now I guess I should watch it, the premise really didn't sound that interesting to me before.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Shageletic posted:

Good Place spoiler : Yeah it was killer, the laugh too.

Someone predicted the twist in the first page of the thread, real glad I didn't follow it until now .Some shows are just better off not reading the thread about it.

EDIT: Just saw the warning to not discuss it. Put the post in a spoiler and will stop.

I never would have watched it without that spoiler though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Stranger Things, Sneaky Pete, Sense8 Christmas Episode. Stay far the gently caress away from The OA unless you believe in the healing power of crappy interpretive dance...and hate yourself.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

sbaldrick posted:

More people would watch this if it wasn't on MTV, it's great

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
APB

Pros:
Kevin Chapman as the District Captain.
Ernie Hudson as the Senior Sergeant.
Justin Kirk does smarmy arrogant rear end in a top hat really well.
It's a Matt Nix show and I liked the first few seasons of Burn Notice and all of The Good Guys
Len Wiseman was responsible for the amazing first season of Sleepy Hollow.
Nestor Sorrano's Mayor is the ideal corrupt rear end in a top hat this kind of series needs.

Cons:
Unfettered Surveillance is the best!
Chicago underfunding the CPD? Not going to happen. This should have been set in Detroit.
Magical computer tech.
Has a 'White Man's Burden' vibe along with adding 'Rich Techie' to the beginning of the phrase.

Two things would make this better. Make it subversive as gently caress by outwardly touting how great this surveillance and millions poured into tech are, while simultaneously showing how hosed up Chicago is getting because of it. Second, have Captain Hauser call his cousin Lionel in New York to brag about all the technology his district now has.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

X-O posted:

Travelers being renewed is amazing news. Everyone go watch Travelers.

Canadians do time travel shows really well (see also Continuum).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I finished The Good Place finally. I wasn't going to watch it until I thankfully got spoiled as to the real plot. I love it and I know I would still not have watched it without knowing what the ending was going to be.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

McSpanky posted:

I went in deliberately avoiding the spoilers and loved every minute of it, I don't get people who have to read the last page of the book first.

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/spoiler-alert-spoilers-make-you-enjoy-stories-more

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

McSpanky posted:

The age before printed review must've been sheer agony for these folks :ohdear:

That is one thing I love the internet for all the way back to BBSs

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I've only seen the three aired MCU series, Narcos, the first Season of Hemlock Grove, Sense8, and Stranger Things...and two episodes of The OA before I said gently caress this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
APB

Cons:
The premise is still ridiculous.
Kevin Chapman isn't in the regular cast.

Pros;
Abraham Benrubi is now a mostly regular playing a former Pro wrestler that retired and became an engineer.
Ernie Hudson is still there.
The third episode is giving hints this is a stealth dystopia show just like PoI was. It won't be as good of course, but it's starting to look interesting.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Farscape is still awesome.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Escobarbarian posted:

I personally think the first half of Hannibal s3 is the best thing the show ever did. Its literally the pinnacle of everything the show had been working towards up until that point, and it's so goddamn bizarre and audacious. Not my fault Lyman be takin my comments out of context!

It's my favorite part of the series too. Fuller could have done a mike drop at the last scene of of that arc and the story would have been perfect.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Why has the MacGyver reboot not been canceled?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

gently caress yeah Profit!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

I think it's about time to replace my 20 year-old CRT and bunny-ears. What's the "good enough" tier of TVs these days for watching the news and other broadcast TV? 1080p LCD?

You can get a good 40" 1920x1080 TCL TV with Roku from Amazon for about $270

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

That's about 20 inches more than I need. I'm looking for something on the "computer monitor with an antenna jack" side of things and will be headed to the store to browse tomorrow. I just don't know what the line is right now between "useful tech" (digital for example, which is of course universal now) and "paying for the privilege of having the best tech" (4K resolution, OLED, stuff like that)

I actually have two of those 40" units, one of which is my primary computer monitor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

Do you use it from across the room? I think I'd go cross-eyed.

No, but my head is about three feet away from it, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I watched the series finale of Grimm, a show I really liked for the first seasons until they made an unfortunate decision in the writers' room and switched female leads. Still, I had not seen any episodes since that one and was curious to see how it wrapped up. It was awful oh god was it awful. one decent fight (with Trouble involved of course) and a bunch of absolutely terrible ones. Emotional beats that had no depth to them and terrible dialogue.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Snak posted:

That's a real mixed bag with Falling Water. The first season was so good!

It really is. The first season was one of my favorite shows from last year.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

X-O posted:

Was NYPD Blue any good? Oh man. It and Homicide are the only two cop shows worth watching really.

Barney Miller and Streets of San Francisco

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Open Source Idiom posted:

Squirrel Girl's getting a series, apparently. On Freeform.

(They're the ones who are also doing Cloak and Dagger, which is confirmed to have an initial season order that's ten episodes long. Not clear on whether they can/will extend it like they usually do with their dramas.)

I just want Freeform to bring back The Middleman.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

MTV cancelled Sweet/Vicious. I'm triggered.

:wtf:!!!!!!!!

Goddamn that's a great show.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Gonz posted:

American Gods starts tonight on Starz.

Here are the opening credits. I'm getting a "Hannibal meets Blade Runner meets a Nine Inch Nails video" vibe from it. The Hannibal vibes makes sense, since Bryan Fuller is in charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ow1qPRIs8A

Just saw the first episode. Holy poo poo. The Bilquis scene was pretty amazing and McShane is, as usual, fantastic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mulva posted:

Travelers got a second season.

Good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Travelers is very good and agreed on Sense8, if you aren't liking it after four or five eps. It's probably not for you. The second season has much better pacing than the first though.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 19, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

I am hyped.

Lurdiak posted:

If I was one of those people who'd waited 20 years for a live action adaptation on HBO, only for the live aciton adaptation to decide it's doing its own thing, I'd be pissed too.

I waited twenty years for this and I love the series. I also think the casting has been fantastic.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 22, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

As much as I dislike Shyamalan's movies in general, The Visit and Split were both absolutely fantastic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Josh Lyman posted:

Jekyll has an 8.2/10 on IMDB. Hmm...

Jekyll is good. Sherlock and Dr. Who are later Moffett where he has his head up his rear end.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember all those Lost copycats from the mid- to late-2000s that were predicated on having a mysterious mythology story arc but never got resolved because none of them lasted?

Like THE EVENT. I remember one advert for THE EVENT.

"You have to tell me about THE EVENT."
"I'm sorry, but THE EVENT is classified."
"I'm the President of the United States; I need to know about THE EVENT."
"I'm sorry, sir, but I can't tell you about THE EVENT."
"TELL ME ABOUT THE EVENT!"

I also remember a show called Vanished which was about a kidnapping that ended up involving a government conspiracy and (I think) the end of the world. The most noteworthy things about it were a) it killed off its main character; and b) after it ended without resolving its storyline, the showrunner of Bones of all things announced that the story could potentially be resolved in whatever the next season of Bones was going to be (it was not - but that would be pretty funny, if all the cancelled and unfinished Lost-alikes had been resolved in episodes of Bones).

(Vanished ran at the same time as another kidnapping-themed show called Kidnapped, which I remember being pretty decent.)

Invasion, Surface, Persons Unknown. I liked all three of those too, especially Invasion.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

JethroMcB posted:

Threshold? That was CBS' attempt at a serial genre series.

It had a fantastic cast too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

-Blackadder- posted:

Luther is really good. I'm also planning on watching The Fall since I've heard good things about it.

e:

Just googling, there's so many it blows my mind, I haven't seen any of these so maybe other goons can get comment on them. But here's a list of stuff I've seen mentioned elsewhere...

Prime Suspect
Ripper Street
Whitechapel
Broadchurch
Inspector Morse
Inspector Lewis
Poirot
Grantchester
Foyle's War
Inspector George Gently
Waking the Dead
Wire in the Blood
Murdoch Mysteries
Jack Taylor
Taggart

Some of these are older than others, apparently Taggart has been on for 27 freaking seasons. I think we need a British TV thread.

Add Longmire to that list.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

I really loved reading Watchmen in the 90s and honestly really liked Snyder's movie, flawed as it was in some places ("Hallelujah", no)

Same here, but I hated The Leftovers after slogging through the first two seasons so I have no idea how I feel about this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Maron is fine as long as he's not talking about himself.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The new Gong Show is just as deranged as the 70s' original and this character of Mike Myers is horrifically fascinating. I really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Oh yes, Cleverman is back!

• Locked thread