Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

McNally posted:

So first I got a letter from my school congratulating me for making Dean's List for my great semester! Hooray!

Then I got a letter saying I'm on academic probation because my overall GPA sucks. Boo!

My crappy academic performance from five years ago is weighing me down, so I applied for academic forgiveness. The school says to qualify, I needed a five year break between the end of my last semester and starting up with them. I was three months short of five full years, but I was told to go ahead and apply anyway.

A week or so later I got a letter saying my application was denied because I didn't meet the five year break that state policy requires. So I looked up the policy and the state says I only need four years.

So when classes start up next week I'm going to see my advisor to ask him what the gently caress. If it's a school policy, fuckin' say so and don't hide behind the state.

Jesus, it's like trying to nail jello to the wall. Why can't poo poo go smoothly for once?

Academic Forgiveness is probably the reason I was able to finish my BS. Its a fantastic thing. Make sure the policy you are looking at is not a past version of the policy just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I reenrolled after the Navy at Penn State in 2014. It was 9k a semester. When I was a freshman in 2001 it was 3. loving 300% in 13 years.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Nine times out of ten n-1 edition of your textbook is just as good and is easily half the price.

I used this strategy to get cheap Structural Analysis stuff to relearn the engineering curriculum while I was in. A lot of the times they just rearrange the problems.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd be supporting a large marketing department. They wanted someone who had a good handle on ArcGIS, stats, and Excel.

Basic formulas are probably fine then. If they wanted someone fluent in VBA they probably would have said so.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

McNally posted:

Okay, so update on all this bullshit. After I spoke with my advisor, I went to the dean of students and said "the registrar's office was deliberately stonewalling me and my advisor on this" and basically told my story from the beginning (with four part harmony) and was basically rewarded with a combination of horror and incredulity. But I was told that I should submit the paperwork I got from advising assistance.

Turns out what I was given wasn't an appeals form, it was an application for a policy exemption.

Anyway, long story short is that my application was approved and now I have a non-poo poo GPA.

Gotta take math again, though.

I am a beneficiary of Academic Forgiveness. I am pleased as punch this worked out this for you. Do well the first semester and let that 4.0 do the mental legwork for why poo poo matters.

Good for you man.

I am so pissed that you have gotten hosed over and over again, but hopefully this is a good day for you.

Naked Bear posted:

I should have mentioned this earlier because it's super-duper relevant: every report that we turn in is required to have a signed statement at the end saying, in effect, "the work contained herein is my own." I signed that statement and turned in the previous report believing that was true, but I am now finding out that was not the case through no fault of my own. That's why I'm pissed, that's why I'm not going to try and sweep it under the rug.

Throwing my hat into the ring here. The professor doesn't care about your petty squabbles unless he has to deal with the Administration because of it. He's going to deal with it if you turn in some poo poo that's plagiarized. You ask for an extension because you weren't satisfied with your partners work. You do not elaborate. You quickly email your partner telling him he's about to get his dick smashed in if he doesn't right the ship. In the meantime, you make second file rewriting all of his plagiarized poo poo with the best you can do, and if the partner doesn't pull through, you turn in the non-plagiarized piece as is and take your C. After the fact, you go to the professors office hours and say "this is the poo poo he gave to me".

I would recommend a more direct route, but you said you don't have a lot of time to deal.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 17, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

My experiences regarding group work are similar. Thankfully I only had to go back to school for two years.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I talked to my professor regarding the one group project where peer evals could cost me my Summa Cum Laude honor.

The dude is so loving chill, it blew my mind once again. He essentially said "Listen, I know how you work from last semester, and I saw that 80% of the mid-term group submission is your writing, so if the rest of the project is garbage, I'll grade you exclusively on the work you did and ignore the peer eval. I'll talk to the class about potential bad-faith evals like that tomorrow."

So I'm now gonna finish my poo poo by Sunday, and then just smugly play super-loving-clueless and innocent while the rest of my group continues on down on their Kruger-Dunning Spiral and giggles about giving me a lovely eval.

Talked to our outgoing no-fucks-given dean today regarding commencement etiquette, and he went "wear everything you can in a huge dumb heap, just make sure my honors society is on top" , and since I might get reimbursed for all commencement-related apparel, I'm thinking about going full retard and buying every single dumb item of honors bling that I'm eligible for, so I can walk around jingling like a rainbow-leper in two months.

:lol: @ graduation clownshows in this country

Very nice.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Give him the shame cone!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MancXVI posted:

Just finished my last presentation, graduating on Monday with a BS in Computer Engineering. Literally just wrapped up a ten year plan to unfuck my life and I think it worked.

Look at this baller!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Can someone with the knowledge please summarize the effects of the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2017. I'm getting bogged down in the full-text other than they are getting rid of the use within 15 years of EAOS bit. Which owns.

There's some STEM bonus financing stuff too.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Got all of my references in order. Taking the GRE on Monday. Probably starting an MSCE in January :toot:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Soulex posted:

Let me know how the GrE is. I’m on the way to doing it, just have to finish planning my senior year.

Trip Report: Math is only up to the bare loving minimum of trig and baby statistics. Verbal got pretty tricky if you got on a roll. Been out of school three and a half years, pulled 160 math/ 162 verbal. Still waiting on essays. Guessing 4.5/5. I spent maybe two days an hour a pop looking at a study guide and it was more than sufficient prep. I would recommend looking up style guidelines for the essays. They were definitely angling for particular structure. Helped a lot knowing that going in. Essays at the begining of the test are some bullshit.

E: Scores came back. 4 for the essay. Good enough.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 8, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Got my grad school application done. Everything looking like I'll be able to do full-time work and full-time school and drawing GI Bill fun bucks for the next two years, getting my MS and then PE shortly there after without having to work for another consultant :toot:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MS Civil Engineering application is all done with the bows and everything. Waiting for final approval :toot:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

I finished undergrad with a 3.6

That's not relevant to anything I just wanted to gloat a lil

A fine gloat. Now grab your tassle and skip graduation.

e: Also final approval achieved. Officially a grad student and will be able to thoroughly max out my GI bennies :toot:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Soulex posted:

Nice. I’m right behind you. Like a year and a half but still.

Hopefully I can make a bunch of money this year and just take next year off mostly, finish the MS and get my PE license.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

How stupid would an impulse buy of a Surface Pro be? I ride the bus to work and have a decent amount of down time. I've got an old laptop for class but I've got a bunch of money burning a whole in my pocket. Between my iPhone and the laptop this seems like a really stupid idea but I can't make it go away.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

not caring here posted:

I've had a Surface Pro for a few years now and poo poo is legit. I take notes at school with the pen, use it as a laptop with the keyboard, and it's got enough oomph to do 3D modelling and some game stuff so I'm really happy with it.

Someone was telling me the other day that the price went up though. I don't know if that's true so you'd have to decide if it's worth it or not.

800 bucks at Costco I can get a bundle with the i5 version.(e: the laptop is 800, pro is 1k)

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 26, 2018

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

As a side note, I've got an iPad Pro which I use similarly for note taking. It owns as my portable computer. Something to consider If you're an Apple person.

I like iOS for my phone but I use Windows for everything work and home related

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

not caring here posted:

Yeah if you just want to take notes and make snap chats with your dick pics or whatever then just get anything. If you want to do that AND do anything that requires some power then the surface pro is pretty snazzy.

A lot of CADD and programming personally.

Trigger pulled, will start playing with it tonight :toot:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Initial reactions:

1) This thing is slick A.F.
2) The pen attaches via magnet to the top of the tablet!!!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

amazon prime is $49 for students.

microsoft office is free.

Six month free trial no less! That you can activate even if you already have a Prime account!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

When I graduate I will still have some GI Bill left that I may not care to use. Can I forfeit the remaining and get my $1200 back? Or should I go gently caress around at a community college?

I came back to college as a Junior and still had 15 months left when I graduated. Just kept it in my back pocket and now Im a Masters student as a side hustle after working just as an engineer for four years. You get a lot more mileage out of those academic licenses. And free Amazon poo poo!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

After I got off the ship in WA, I got back up to speed with math by taking Multi-variable Calc, Diff Eqs, and Physics 2 at the local CC. Professors were actually engaged in the material rather than it just being some bs they had to teach while they were doing research. A+++ decision would do again.

Just needed the syllabi from the classes and all 3 transferred back to PSU no questions asked.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MrDesaude posted:

Well, I am now a member of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, and the local Veterans club is bitter balls that I won't Volunteer to do their work for them join them.

They're family, but I really want them to gently caress off because I have enough poo poo going on...

Any advice?

Tell them to gently caress off. If it were your current employer that wanted you to do engagement stuff? Different story.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Booger Presley posted:

Anyone else not get paid today? Wondering if it's a timing thing or they screwed up my stuff again.

Cash in my account per usual.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

First semester of grad school done!!!!! I marginally escaped within program standards! Good experience though. Got me back in the groove after 4 years away. Should be smooth sailing from here.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Does anyone have any experience double dipping between VA Bennie's and employer reimbursements or negotiating tactics for saying you have college benefits already and could trade them for salary bump/other?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

lightpole posted:

I do half my learning at 1.5x with youtube.

Aaaaaamen. That speed boost is a godsend.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Viva Miriya posted:

IM IN MOTHERFUCKERS

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:siren: :toot: :siren:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Underrated GI Bill perk? Using leftover benefits to use as leverage to pivot jobs.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Grem posted:

Oh poo poo I never thought about that. I have an interview coming up for my dream job, and will definitely bring up my unused GI Bill benefits.

"I could take your job, or I could just use my funbux to get a Masters and work at a pizza place". My argument, which allowed me to get, in writing, a guarantee that the company would make my work schedule flexible to finish said MS.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

While that's a very clever idea, I would also tread carefully in negotiations unless you know the opposing party well enough.

Late to the response, and while my response was bombastic, I was definitely cautious in how I approached this. I stated during my interview that I was committed to finishing my MS, already had a thesis and a degree plan etc. I didn't say take it or leave it, but I made apparent that it would be a thing that weighed heavily on a decision if I were to receive an offer.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cenen posted:

Signing a rental lease tonight. What’s the best tool you’ve found for finding roommates? It would almost probably be cheaper to buy a condo at this point but schools coming up quick and this place is actually really nice and only a few minutes away from campus. This has so far been harder than getting into the school or any of my summer classes.

I decided about a week before I did it that I was moving from Seattle back to Pennsylvania. Just posted a want ad on Craigslist and got half a dozen offers within 24 hours. You actually get a good feel for people by the effort put into emails. It wasn't perfect but it worked.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Woops, completely forgot to submit my Certification form to our certification person until today. I feel bad.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Even after my late certification, received payment through the university and on down to my bank account in 4 days. Incredibly solid.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

rifles posted:

I'm in Discrete Structures and their Algorithms right now and stuff is starting to make sense and I'm not just going cross-eyed looking at the homework, so woo to that. All the advice given in here to go to the office hours is absolutely true, I'm having to struggle around my hours working on campus to make time but every time I go I'm that much better off.

In other news, my OSU application crap has kinda stalled. The grant they gave me is to fill in a gap in tuition coverage, when I apply my NG scholarship it'll disappear off my financial award, which is sad. So now I'm in the process of getting documentation to have my efc adjusted to hopefully get another $1500 of Pell for this semester at this school, and a full $3000 Pell a semester there at OSU starting in the spring. That'll have me at like $2500 out of pocket for the semester to live there and eat, and then I cross my fingers that I get some scholarships that I applied for earlier this year to cover for the remainder years. If not, maybe a ROTC scholarship or something dumb like that?? idk.

Does anyone have experience using the subsidized loans (Stafford)? I'm thinking of taking the $3500 offered there in the Spring and tossing it in a market savings account to accrue interest and give me a little financial buffer in case I need it for an emergency or something. Also I guess if I don't touch it and pay it off it'd be good for my credit too? I just got a deposit card finally because I've been procrastinating on building any credit for 6 years :rip: but taking the loan seems like a no-brainer as long as I don't spend it on something dumb.

I know I'm probably in the minority here but my opinion is: Are you going to be employed upon graduation? Don't sweat some student loans. There is nothing worse than being broke and worrying about a midterm at the same time. Just be responsible with your borrowing and concentrate on your studies.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

A Bad Poster posted:

I checked and the VA website says that I've used 3 months, 11 days of my Post 9/11. School still hasn't gotten any money, nor have I. Also, im guessing that the time taken out is for this whole semester? I've only been in class for 3 weeks.

Yup, they do the calcs for the semester at the beginning and take it all out at once.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Positive: Grad school full-time being 9 credits and the BAH pro-rate is pretty baller at 7 credits.

Negative: They don't extend that to the book stipend. Sad! (They base it on the 12-credit hour full-time for Undergrad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

mad_Thick posted:

Gents, I need some advice.

I have my bachelors in Economics, and currently working in banking/finance. Long story short, I hate working in an office, working for something so insignificant, and am depressed doing this job.

I have 24 months worth of my Post-911 GI Bill left, and am contemplating getting a Masters or PhD in a subject that will allow me to spend a decent amount of time, if not most of my time outdoors. The problem is, I have no idea what subject/area of study I am most interested in. I think I would be interested in something along the lines of environment/conservation. But due to my depression from my current job, it is difficult to gauge where my interests lie...

I know many people would recommend to become a firefighter. I'd love to become a firefighter, but the market, at least in California, is horrible for firefighters. Plus, my blood pressure might DQ me unless I'm on meds or something.

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

I dunno, get a Masters in Applied Sciences and go do yield calcs for urban farms or something.

Basically, find an industry that does large calculations and are very bad about doing them efficiently and then get good at doing their calcs for them!