Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Saying that reminds me of the writers of Workaholics have a long list of "joke lines" they're not letting themselves use anymore. poo poo like "Wait for it..." or "too soon?"; things that "have the shape of jokes, but aren't actually jokes".

That's a surprisingly good way to describe catchphrases.

Of course, you could just do what The State did and invent a seemingly horrible catchphrase that is innocuous in context... but you can only run that joke a couple of times before it gets stale. Although they did that because they wanted to get back at editorial meddling.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't imagine how anyone can play CAH or A2A or all the various derivatives more than a few times. The novelty wears off extremely quickly since there's no strategy to play.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sion posted:

God Hates Charades, Super Fight and Snake Oil manage to be better and simpler games without all that awkward racial/-phobic poo poo that comes along with CAH. It's not that some of us miss the point of CAH and don't understand how normies function (although that's a cool assertion, thanks Commander Riker avatar guy), it's that it's a poo poo game with some really poo poo undertones that can make a party super loving awkward when you play the 'lol it's actually rape' card and one of the attendees has to loving leave.

Had that happen before. Never a pleasant way to effectively end your evening.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's the general consensus about the best version of Shadowrun, not counting Anarchy? 5th Edition or the 20th Anniversary Edition?

It's all terrible, Shadowrun is always terrible.

That said I think 20th Anniversary is a better core book, at least.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sion posted:

Stones, bruv.

No not stones! Maths. Maths arbitrarily set by the designer. Now, if you don't mind, I have to run an Attribute Auction and get my players to blow all their points competing on being the best arm wrestler in the universe. :v:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Desiden posted:

So anyone else started binge-watching Travelers yet on Netflix? I'm about halfway through, and besides really liking it have been thinking that the premise would work pretty well as a RPG setup. Both in the mission-oriented-but-also-flexible style, and given the presupposition that the team is likely to gently caress up, semi-regularly.

Just finished it yesterday and I want to say the 3rd edition GURPS Time Travel talked about a similar method of arriving in the past, but I don't have that book handy.

That said yeah, it's a fairly good set up for an episodic format with long-running personal arcs, so it works perfect as the basis for an RPG. The fact that the team receives their instructions from an entity that's mostly unable to control their actions makes it even better for certain players.

The Leverage RPG would work with some slight modifications, in my opinion, if you were just going to play a Traveler group, or insert your favorite universal system of choice, of course.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mordiceius posted:

I didn't realize the D&D movie was set on Athas.

You joke but the D&D movie wasn't actually set in any official setting, which I thought was dumb as hell.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The thing I found most comical about the D&D movie (which yes I saw in theaters) was that they expected you to feel sad that a Wayans had died, and like, not even the actually funny one, it was Marlon.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To be fair to TBZ, it's intended to be Kabuki Theater style and it actually does that rather well. People just think of it as 'anime game' because of some of the artwork and because it's Japanese.

When I think of an anime game, honestly I think of Maid.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So Anima and BESM then, those are the anime games.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Plutonis.What hath 2017 wrought?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

remusclaw posted:

Serious post. It's anime if that's how you picture it in your minds eye. Anime is about as descriptive a term as cartoon.

Well, then I'm back to Maid being my anime game. Every other RPG I usually picture as variants of the Gold Box series.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Breakfast Cult definitely. Cosmic horror and kids go together like peanut butter and chocolate in anime.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

unseenlibrarian posted:

No, no, it's cool, I did on the last page...as TFOS, which is probably why no one noticed.

I knew what you meant.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Countblanc posted:

what does he think game designers do have the power to do, if not that one specific thing

"Well if players would just build their characters the way I intended (but never actually spelled out in the rules,) balance wouldn't be an issue!" - A thing MacKinnon has probably said at least once, parenthetical added by anyone with half a brain.

Other than that, I've got no idea. Remember that this is a guy who built his business model around a favorable exchange rate, and when the Canadian dollar got too strong, it torpedoed his company.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Simian_Prime posted:

I had no idea that guy from Kids in the Hall made an anime RPG

You're thinking of Mark McKinney. Different guy entirely.

What was confusing for me for a weeks last year was John Wick.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

I still say that the BESM d20 design process was:
1. Take BESM
2. Place the d20 SRD on top of it
3. Apply paper clip
4. Take an early lunch

Oh come now. the game had original classes too, they were just bad.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

remusclaw posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it that make OVA so capable as an anime game as opposed to something like GURPS, Mutants and Masterminds, or FATE?

GURPS is terribly fiddly and unwieldy at higher point totals, for one, and since the difference between a normal person (GURPS baseline) and an anime protagonist in terms of powers and abilities is usually quite high GURPS is a bad fit for anything other than like a light comedy slice of life high school anime.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I know at least one version of the Tarrasque would simply reform somewhere else 24 hours later if you tried that. Probably not the 3.5 version, because lol 3.5, but one of the other ones.

Also they're leaving out the fact that first you have to find an Allip, which isn't that easy because they don't make more of themselves.

Honestly the things are normally just nuisances, they're utterly incapable of even hurting you and at best they can knock you out. Even if you fail the save versus their hypnosis ability, since it can't actually talk, all that happens is you stand there like an idiot for 2d4 rounds.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nuns with Guns posted:

You can summon an allip whenever you want with summon undead iv once the wizard hits level 8, at least. Also lol, allips are one of the legendarily awful design choices of 3.5 and very devastating to parties at their listed challenge rating (3). They're incorporeal undead (at a level where barely anyone will have good magical gear) that permanently drain the wisdom score of anyone they hit with a touch attack. I don't know where that image is getting the idea that you're only unconscious for 24 hours when your wisdom score hits 0, because as far as I'm aware you're in a permanent coma until someone can get you to a cleric that knows the restoration spell (the 4th-level spell, lesser restoration won't cut it). Even if you were only out for 24 hours, you would be a vegetable after you "woke up" so it's moot anyway.

Like I can remember the difference between ability damage and ability drain, I was going off the picture.

The fact that 3.x even had two similarly worded powers that, in the short term, did the same thing was just bad design anyway.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

grassy gnoll posted:

Cthulhutech.

No, that was the one that confused vaginas with depth.

They're thinking of FATAL, the game where, by RAW, it's impossible to give birth and survive. Also the game where the most effective character in combat is one who pins you to the ground and rapes your ear to death :stonk:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yawgmoth posted:

Damage heals, drain does not. I'm not really sure how this is confusing or inconsistent. I think having two type of ability drain and having to remember which monster does what type of drain would be orders of magnitude more vague and irritating than remembering the first five words of this post.

Because drain doesn't mean that in a normal context when referring to people, but damage can mean something that isn't recoverable from. If you tell me someone is drained I know they'll be fine with rest, but if you tell me they're damaged I don't know if they'll ever recover without more detail.

It's why I think "natural language" rules are bullshit, most of the time they're confusing and unclear. I prefer technical writing with keywords if necessary.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

It'd probably be cheating to use my unfinished Friendship, Effort, Victory game, wouldn't it? Then again, it'd probably lose.

Under normal TG contest rules, yes, that would be cheating.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How many systems have they done a Freeport for, anyway?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You can run into those even without setting your game in WW2.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TheSoundNinja posted:

PASTA IS THE BEST FOOD, YOU loving DICKBAG

Pasta is a very versatile form of carbohydrate. Man, now I want some buttered noodles.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I was going to give it a quick read over, but it's 542 poorly optimized pages so that's going to have to wait until I'm on a machine with actual RAM instead of a several year old tablet.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, there's some misconduct going on there if he's using in game coercion in what sounds like an out of game context.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's less likely to get people arrested. I'm not sure if you'd consider that better or worse though, because juggalos.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nuns with Guns posted:

is there a single pure thing in this world that someone hasn't tried to poorly convert to d20 rules???

Of course not.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pretty sure they're referring to Log Horizon.

:lol:

The first .hack anime at least was atmospheric, even if the story was a bit... light.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm always surprised there hasn't been a definitive law enforcement or organized crime RPG. Maybe it's too close to reality, but they're such huge genres it feels bizarre to see them mostly untouched. Maybe they're just more fun to watch than portray.

Usually law enforcement and organized crime games go straight for the fantastical instead of the realistic. The closest to a realistic cops game was the GURPS supplement for 3e.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Once I worked a bit on a d20 crime game based off of Spycraft, then I found out the Spycraft guys were already doing that so I stopped. And then Ten Thousand Bullets was released in 2007 and it turned out just great- what? It never came out? And now been it's a decade since its original release date?

Oh, that's so Crafty Games.

Yeah, I did mean things that actually existed :v:

That said I keep having this idea of doing magical Law and Order.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a guide on what kind of book-binding should be used for a given situation? I think it largely depends on how large the document is and how much you're willing to spend, right? Is there a clearly better one under certain criteria?

Yes, the thing that constantly annoys me about the binding of technical reference books (of which RPG books are a variation thereof) is when the book will not lay flat with the pages still. The cheapest way to do that is metal or plastic ring binding.

For other books it's a cost issue.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It is a pretty bad idea unless you know how to drag my group away from their campaign to try an untested game based on a genre and medium they don't like, by someone they've never met. I haven't seen an RPG competition that needed as much effort as this one, and this is supposed to be a joke challenge on a small forum with some $20 gift vouchers. If you go to heavy with rules and poo poo it'll go the same way as every other rules-bloated forums competition: It'll be too annoying to actually organise and nobody will sign up.

You do realize this makes you sound like a fool, right?

Every TG contest that has been successful that I'm aware of has had the playtest requirement. Playtesting is part of design, actually playing a work helps you find issues and edge cases you wouldn't think of because everybody is a little bit different. Being exposed to other people's works makes you a better designer. Trying out genres you're unfamiliar with helps you grow your GM skills.

If you don't want to do that, too bad, don't sign up. Just don't go complaining about it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kai Tave posted:

Man, I'm used to games where the GM doesn't even bother to hide stuff like monster stats because it's quicker and easier to just let the players go "okay I need to roll 7 or higher, nailed it, they take X damage" and keep things moving briskly. I'm not like morally opposed to keeping information hidden or anything but a lot of the time it feels pretty pointless, especially with dice rolls and stuff. I'm also not a huge fan of the oft-cited "randomly make a nothing roll whenever the PCs do something and make thoughtful noises about it in order to keep them paranoid" business either, which seems to be something that always gets brought up whenever hidden rolls do, like if you want to talk about poo poo that'll bog a game down nothing does it faster than pretend-rolls to "keep the players guessing" that does, in fact, keep them guessing to the point that it derails whatever was going on.

Admittedly I'm not, and never have been, a big "immersion" person, so a lot of the stuff that always gets touted as more immersive always strikes me as pointless fetishism.

Real Immersion would be hiding all the dice and mechanics from the players for what would then be improvised theater.

To be fair, a lot of GMs (and PCs!) could learn from improv.

That aside, like most things in life, my position on hidden dice rolls and mechanics has varied as I aged. These days, unless there's a good reason to hide that information (usually damage rolls in the first 1-2 rounds of combat) I see no point in doing so. For the parenthetical, it's simply because I have had PCs who somehow had the worst luck that also inexplicably worked through me when rolling damage, to the tune of "How many HP did you have? Oh, um, you're..." and then dead, unconscious, bleeding out, gravely wounded, whatever the worst state your character could end up in after a single roll in the system in question. Since I'd rather people not get taken out of combat sometimes before they even get a turn, I will fudge damage for those poor unfortunate souls.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Anniversary posted:

Wait, you don't find Rimmer's Risk Story gripping?

He recorded them all in his Risk Campaign Diary.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not really what you'd think of when somebody says "White Wolf has a new computer game" though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

^^^^^ There's no such thing as a good Harambe joke.

Ettin posted:

Just remembered the Inverse World spiritual sequel I released last year had a Harambe joke in it so I went and edited it out. Doing my part to make 2017 a better year :patriot:

That reminded me I hadn't bought that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ominous Jazz posted:

that's
actually kind of a bummer?
That this is what it's come down to for battleborn

Some internet detectives even figured out it was obviously someone at Gearbox who made that subreddit.

• Locked thread