Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Caves of Qud is really well done, but I don't think I've ever had a character last more than 10 minutes in it.

Qud is everything wrong with 90's RPGs resurrected in a computer game. :v:

I enjoy it anyways but it's the same kind of enjoyment I get out of reading about Pun-Pun or explaining the 3.5 grappling rules to an unwitting victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was 5 seconds into typing "the grappling rules aren't really that complicated", when I realized I've been playing 3.5 continuously for over a year now and have had lots of practice.

It's me, I'm That Guy.

In Caves of Qud you can get your tongue rotted off by a disease. You are near-guaranteed to contract it in one of the main quest areas. When your tongue rots off, you can't speak properly, and merchants will take advantage of you by raising their prices sky-high.

There's an in-game guide to cures for diseases, which is randomized each game. The only way to get it is to buy it from a merchant. The game tells you none of this up front.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 6, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I kind of want to find some folks to play Valor with but the game looks sort of abandoned.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ewen Cluney posted:

If the general concept of BESM as a relatively light universal RPG with anime flair appeals to you, then OVA is by far the better choice. OTOH I've realized that if you want to do anime-inspired RPG stuff, the thing to do is to stop thinking of anime as "special" and just sit down an analyze it like you would any other source material. It's also good to not limit yourself to anime for inspiration, especially since the better anime creators aren't doing that either.

Well, I mean, I think there really is a kind of nexus of "wow, this is so anime" that you could pin down to some level of definiteness.

It's kind of a mishmash of superheroes, coming-of-age stories, really flashy combat, and an exponential power scale. Basically rather than trying to emulate "Japanese animation" you're looking for a system that can model Sailor Moon, Naruto, Trigun, and maybe Revolutionary Girl Utena (if you feel ambitious) in a relatively unified manner.

You gotta lean into it, though, if there isn't deep mechanical support / incentives for yelling power names, struggling with your literal inner demons, and punching harder the more friendship you have, you might as well just use a generic system.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Elfgames posted:

that's still too many things to cram together to be good unless the actual point is to then look at the inherent friction between those elements.

It's less about cramming together and more about figuring out the commonalities and building something out of that. The series I used as examples have radically different settings for example but setting isn't the important part to begin with; teenager problems blown up to cosmic proportions is. The guy who pegged Monsterhearts as an anime game was on the right track for the wrong reasons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

is there a single pure thing in this world that someone hasn't tried to poorly convert to d20 rules???

Kazekami Kyoko Kills Kublai Khan d20

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

"Whoops I got stuck in this fantasy world!" became such a prolific and garbage idea across light novels that it was literally banned from writing competitions in Japan

There's hope for the world yet.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

remusclaw posted:

Alternatively, you could expand flanking to include attacks in the previous round as well, though that would likely result in permanent flanking effects. Perhaps also a out via movement, where the flanked creature re-positioning itself would result in the loss of the flanking bonuses?

Rogues are supposed to be opportunists, so it'd be nice if flanking encouraged switching your targets up instead of making focus fire (which is already good by default in almost any game) even better.

Similarly, being flanked is at least nominally a failure state; it means you screwed up your positioning somehow and the enemy took advantage. It'd be good if that were modeled somehow.

(Sorry I don't have more helpful suggestions, I was just immediately worried about the "attacked in the previous round" idea.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

you're not wrong, i'm just disappointed that of all the ways WotC could have modeled "i sneak up behind guy and stab him for lots of damage" they chose the one that has almost no relation to stealth and incentivizes what was already the dominant mode of combat

e: this is more of a rogue thing rather than a "how do you model what happens when someone gets surrounded" thing; i'm drifting off-topic. haven't had breakfast yet :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 14, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Everything I've ever read about the setting of Exalted makes me want to play it, and everything I've ever read about the mechanics, of any edition, crushes my dreams.

Glorantha on the other hand is a lot of serious stuff I like for what it is and a lot of silly stuff I like for what it is, but combined it just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

e: oh right and the whole chaos magic "belief makes it so" stuff which i don't like in any context, that doesn't help

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Covok posted:

What's the best F20 (fantasy d20) game?

Iron Heroes is all right for a Monte Cook production. Which is to say it's still a goddamn mess (there's a proto-Defender class which has literally zero ways of forcing / incentivizing the enemy to hit them) but there are some ideas in there that are ahead of the vanilla D&D curve, at least.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

I made a thread for it and nobody posted in it and that made me feel sad and bad.

I downloaded the PDF, saw counting-down style AC, closed it and deleted it. OSR's not really my thing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Drone posted:

Am I the only one who feels sort of really pissy about parents who try to make their 5 year olds play D&D with them? I know that, on some level, a parent wanting their kid to like the same things they do is a natural feeling, but the kid is like 5 loving years old. Let the kid go play outside or discover their own fun before foisting your niche hobby on them. Something about it all just rubs me the completely wrong way -- like I dunno, I can't shake the image of a neckbeard dad forcing his kids to play D&D with him because parenting has consumed so much of his life that he can't go game with other adults.

Or am I just speaking from the biased but comfortable position of a smug non-parent who dislikes children?

As a five-year-old, getting my parents to play D&D with me was high on my list of life goals.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's the kind of thing where every time I think of a joke about it, my brain stops me before I say or type anything to remind me that nothing is funny anymore.

On the other hand, I think gallows humor is an important way to maintain resilience in the face of horrifying realities.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I gotta laugh, otherwise I start screaming.

One of the unfortunate poverties of the English language is that we only have one phrase for the multiple meanings in "take something seriously."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

And yo, while we're here, talking about elves, what's up with dark elves? How do you play with dark elves in a way that isn't weirdly racist?

Dark Eldar are a purely cultural distinction, right? If they aren't, they should be. Let's go with that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

What kind of elf are they? What do they got going on under the hood?

Edit: how come half elves are always thing in dnd but no other half race and on a scale from one to ten how weirdly racist is it

D&D has had half-orcs for a few editions now. (Some of which are far weirder and worse about it than half-elves ever were.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

unseenlibrarian posted:

The best elves in general are the Hollow Earth elves, who are a preserved cultural enclave of the pre-Fallout scenario Elf civilization, complete with laser pistols, as rescued by a good guy T-rex god who wants to hug everyone and is sad his arms aren't big enough to hold them all.

That is an amazing setting pitch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Is this a good place to ask which are the good animes?

Well I mean, this is like asking "what are some good French books." "Anime" doesn't mean anything but a national origin + a medium.

Since you mention being a World of Darkness fan, maybe you'd like stories about people solving supernatural problems that are invisible or incomprehensible to normal human beings. Try Mononoke -- that's just "Mononoke", not Princess Mononoke, although that's a good movie too.

Or just in terms of horror generally, you might like Kemonozume, which is (effectively) about the heir of a prestigious Hunter family falling in love with a monster. Or Evangelion, which could be distantly compared to "what if humanity noticed the God-Machine and starting loving with Infrastructure."

TTGL has good animation but I couldn't stand the thematic point it ultimately decided to make, and KLK is a master-class in making personality and humor shine through a limited budget but it's also got some really gross and superfluous scenes of sexual abuse -- it crosses a line even for a show premised on "what if taking your clothes off gave you superpowers."

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 27, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

This is the worst opinion I've ever read in this website.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I heard that Kill La Kill was some Kojima level weird meta-commentary on exploitation and commodification, but if it actually just wallows in fanservice, I'll definitely take a pass on that.

Well, I mean... sort of. The thing with all of Hiroyuki Imaishi's work is that he's not feminist in the familiar sense of the word at all, but he very consistently tells stories about liberation, broadly -- and that includes KLK. It's not an either-or thing between having something to say and wallowing in fanservice, it does both, because he doesn't see it as a conflict.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Like you know how Robert Heinlein has really unpleasant sexual politics in his short stories but at the same time he's recognizably rebelling against the prudery and repression of the era he lived in? Imaishi is very much like that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

I've legit never "clicked" with gnomes and I've never known where to really put them. Outside of 4e gnomes, they have the least traction and the fewest hooks to really utilize.

That's because they're a mashup of elves and dwarves without any truly distinguishing traits of their own. Like they're kinda tech-flavored and kinda fairy-flavored and different media emphasize one or the other more, but basically they're just somehow even more derivative and boring than vanilla fantasy races already are.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

edit: except the goblins did the same thing only way better and are way cuter

got it in one

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

Doom Rogue like is pretty good, assuming you can still get your hands on it.

There's no reason why you shouldn't? The only thing that changed is now on google search results it's called "D**m: The Roguelike."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

General Ironicus posted:

While I completely agree, I don't see how that's significantly different from any other RPG. I'd hate to play D&D with a GM who wasn't into fantasy adventure.

D&D is a game first, role-playing second. That GM would probably be fine unless they also hated the mechanics, and if they were really good, they could probably even spin their distaste for it into humor.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

Yeah, I could see it in a five-way tie for second.

red book supremacy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Isn't the phrase "you got your chocolate in my peanut butter" supposed to refer to creating something delicious/great on accident? What does this mean here in the context of "I don't like it"?

It seemed pretty obvious to me that he was saying "the thing that everyone else likes about Shadowrun is what turns me off."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a crunchy game with abstract / non-grid positioning?

Like a game that doesn't do it for the sake of being a storygame, but rather because it's designed to be the equivalent of D&D 4E but adapted for playing in a chatroom or PBP.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah if you want players to use that stuff it has to both a) represent a greater advantage than disadvantage for them and b) be perceived as a greater advantage than disadvantage, and probably by a significant margin to overcome people's general tendency to be risk-averse.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

starkebn posted:

just do it like AGON and give the GM x amount of XP to make the challenges and they have to follow strict rules

Eh, sort of. It's a good start but you can't make encounter design completely adversarial unless players have access to respecs, or if one or both of player builds or encounter setups are dangerously homogenized, or if you can absolutely 100% count on all of your players coordinating with each other to cover each other's weaknesses and make a coherent team comp, at which point you're barely even describing a roleplaying game any more. (And the system has to be well-balanced enough that there aren't stupid be-all end-all solutions for either side.)

Otherwise you risk a situation where e.g. the PC party with two AoE blasters fights a neverending sequence of singleton boss monsters, which sucks for everybody, including you.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 17, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

For the record I would play the poo poo out of the game that I'm describing via negative space here, but I don't think many people would.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

If you don't want to give money to White Wolf for some reason, Dresden Files Accelerated will be out fairly soon.

Mage: The Awakening is OPP, not White Wolf.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

I wonder how you'd handle the whole discovering packs of enemies, though. Like the biggest risk you take in XCOM is when you go for a flank and might accidentally activate new enemies.

Ditch it because it's a garbage mechanic that only exists to paper over deficiencies in the AI.

e: I mean there's nothing wrong with a fight receiving reinforcements on a set trigger, but a blind chance that making an otherwise tactically correct decision will gently caress you up isn't great to begin with, and then there's the way activation actually works which is even worse.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 22, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Error 404 posted:

This, but if you really need for there to be some kind of thing: Give enemy units a 'spaces per turn' move mechanic the same as your players, and start them at one or two spawn points, and move them yourself on the GM turn. Be your own AI.

Alternatively make the trade-off explicit instead of a gamble. "You can grab the high ground to get an advantage over your enemies, but you'll be visible from far away and their base will probably send more troops to investigate (in a few turns)" or something. Let them grab a payoff at a price instead of "oops, Mutons."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Gods who share a portfolio make sense if they're in different pantheons. Which is something that D&D is terrible at, building actual distinct religions. Sure, your gods are 'real', but everybody believes their gods are real, why the hell else would they worship them (outside of FSM and modern Satanism). None of the pantheons actually feel like something that would have evolved over time like a real polytheistic religion, and they usually don't come with even a basic amount of faux holy text for RP purposes.

Well, I mean, no poo poo. Polytheistic religions form as a result of gods blurring into each other and getting mixed up or equated with each other as proselytizing efforts, turning into demons because the dominant religion doesn't like them, and so on. D&D gods are beings that exist and exert an influence on the world first, and have religions form around them second.

To make D&D religions behave like real-world religions and make sense you'd either need no gods, gods who are invisible and non-interventionist, or (ugh) gods who are subject to human beliefs about the gods.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I can't ever see myself using more than, maybe, a generic pre-designed map or layout. The old D&D adventures where it's like "read this descriptive passage when the players get to X" seems unimaginably intrusive.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

An escalating series of Lurker and Mimic encounters that deliberately exploit the tactics players are most likely to use to avoid them.

e: if it seems like I'm obsessed with this idea it's because I really want to do it to my players but can't honestly justify it to myself, so it all comes out here

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Calling all D&D bad is retarded, that only really applies to 3rd and 5th editions, BX/BECMI/RC and 4th edition are both legitimately good

hoo boy slow your roll there hoss, AD&D 2E is not a good game, possibly even worse than its successors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

My group's preparing to enter a new adventure and half the party is some kind of arcanist while the other is some sort of nature follower. In addition, one of the mages' backstory is "accident at the academy" and one of the naturists' is "my druid grove was killed by alchemist waste from the academy." I'm getting sad we're running a published module, because they're setting themselves up for conflict without prompting and establishing an interesting theme but it's just not what the adventure is about.

it is now

• Locked thread