Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

:coffeepal: Welcome to the new Traditional Games chat thread! This is the thread for:

• TG chat that doesn't fit into an existing thread, or would derail another thread
  • New users and lurkers who want to introduce themselves and/or ask questions
  • Asking where the thread for X is, or if you should post a thread about X (:justpost:)

Like the last thread this one will probably run through the year.

Standard TG/grey forum rules and chat thread houserules apply.

To start us off, what's everyone's gaming plans for 2017? Have you told the resolution thread? :buddy:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Sion posted:

Also can we post cooking things in here again this year.

:yeah:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
My fave CAH knockoff is the meme one because the trailer is so incredibly soulless it makes me laugh.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I posted another game rec thread but I'm thinking about just making a big game rec thread instead of a monthly thing. Or is there one and I missed it? :ohdear:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Covok posted:

Breakfast Cult: Maybe

Two of the characters are literally from Death Note!!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Covok posted:

Oh, really. Never caught that.

I don't know why people don't pick up on O being L more often. :allears:

(Like half of Breakfast Cult's characters are dumb references really, though that might be a better topic for its thread :getin:)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TheSoundNinja posted:

Then dibs on running a contest in February. I'll come up with an OP and some sort of prizes.

We could use more contests so please do!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Looks like urine for a surprise.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Just remembered the Inverse World spiritual sequel I released last year had a Harambe joke in it so I went and edited it out. Doing my part to make 2017 a better year :patriot:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Generic gruff white military soldier-man who's too old for this poo poo: totally a fetish.

Please don't kink shame

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Ya boy Ettin is moving up from tabletop into video games :toot:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Siivola posted:

Just call it an adventure game ya nerd. :v:

How am I supposed to move to Japan and become President of Anime with that attitude?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TheSoundNinja posted:

Alright, the modifier is up for the February TGD Contest: Sequel Series.

Now to see what comes out of it...

Can't wait to do this and a KS at the same time :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
What if Trad Games pooled our money together and bought PFO? Goon project :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm going to unlock the thread, I just wanted to make a post first and I've been a little busy. Today for sure.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
If I reopen the 5E thread will you folks quit recreating it in here? :argh:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
That's in the archives. I'm open to trying a new one if someone else wants to start it though.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm about to re-open the 5E thread so you can stop posting about it here. I'd appreciate it if you didn't continue this in that thread either, I think we've had enough posting about posting for now.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
This discussion is happening simultaneously in the WoD thread, it'd probably be easier if you condensed it over there.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alaois posted:

actually, full VA is always good

This is why I got Ironicus to make a Breakfast Cult audio book :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Even kobolds, who are Lawful and depicted as skilled craftsmen and engineers, seem to have no civilization, culture, or even art

That they let outsiders see... :tinfoil:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Nothing wrong with boning :shrug:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

So, it looks like I'll be playing a session of some system called "the void?" A quick Google search suggests that it's kinda like Cthulhu tech meets Eclipse Phase. Anyone familiar with the details? I'm reeeeeeealy hopeful that its way more Eclipse Phase than Cthulhu tech, as I've read the F&Fs of Cthulhu tech and am not a fan of all the dumb gross stuff in it.

I haven't looked at it as much as CTech, but the PDF is Creative Commons/PWYW so you can check it out for yourself here if you like.

IIRC it leaves out most of the dumb bullshit, though the setting chapter has a lot of the same ideas about Islam:

quote:

The brutal fighting raged for three years. Then, the inevitable finally happened – the first and only nuclear detonation of the war exploded in 2018. Radical Islamic terrorists, still bent on carrying out their Jihad against a crippled Unites States, managed to load a crude atomic bomb on a cargo ship headed for Los Angeles. The bomb detonated prematurely while the ship was in layover at the Malaysian port of Port Klang. Millions of Malaysian Muslims died within minutes that day.

The resulting dramatic shock caused an immediate ceasefire among warring parties. The possibility of a world teetering on the brink of death became all too real. Many historians would later regard the sacrifice of Port Klang as the event that saved the human race from extinction. Religious radicalism and old hatreds seemed to wane in light of a new urgency to find common ground. In 2019, the Treaty of Jerusalem was signed, officially ending World War III and ushering in a new age for mankind.

I don't remember The Void having any rape furries or anything though??

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah sale/trade threads go in SA Mart.

It should be cool to toss a link in here when it's up, but I'd double check with Ettin.

Linking to an SA Mart thread is probably the best way to do it!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

this is a devastating review of breakfast cult

:argh:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
There's also the Fate Horror Toolkit, though that one's still in development IIRC. Looking at the author lineup I'm pretty pumped :f5:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

The problem with Paranoia

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
In the meantime, have a tag contest. Tag contests make you happy, right? Right.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I extended the deadline on the tag contest to next week when I'm less busy. Also considering dropping the Alpha Complex name and going back to Trad Games :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

DocBubonic posted:

Yes, "Whatever Meme Works" gets my vote.

Count Strahd von Zarovich's Mean Meme Machine it is, thanks citizens

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I got around to posting a poll thread for this month's tag contest, so if you'd like to see some new TG tags go and vote!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Jim's Pharma

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
And through this spooky graveyard of the universe the spooky, spooky beating of drums, and spooky, spooky whine of spooky flutes from spooky, spooky chambers beyond Time; the spooky pounding and piping whereunto dance spookily, spookily, and spookily the spooky, spooky spooky gods—the spooky, spooky, spooky gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Ready Player One is a masterpiece and I can't wait for the movie adaptation. Don't quote me.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Pratchett lost the ability to touch-type to Alzheimer's and ended up dictating his later work to his assistant Rob Wilkins instead, which is probably part of why they come across as monologues. I enjoyed Raising Steam for what it is. :v:

I never got around to reading any of the Aching books past The Wee Free Men though. I probably should.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

oriongates posted:

Witches are presented as far better at medicine than anyone available in AM (wizards are worthless at it and doctors in general are presented as usually worse than no assistance at all).

To be fair, Dr Lawn is pretty good. By the later books other doctors are starting to learn from him, so medicine is probably modernising like everything else was at the end. :goonsay:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Elfface posted:

Fake edit: I can never remember all the IRC and Discord channels TG generates... is there any reason they're not just in a stickied post?

I'd make a post but listing two Discords is weird. IRC is a little more complicated because there are a ton of different rooms for different games and purposes, but most of them are on SynIRC I think.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Plutonis posted:

theres nothing wrong with being a fatass horny 70 year old fantasy author with a giant beard and hell you might as well earned it at this point

Please don't sign your posts twice

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

gnarlyhotep posted:

Is the F word allowed here?

There aren't any children here, you're thinking of the WoD thread :smugwizard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yup. Every nominee has to send the judges physical products if they exist, regardless of where the judge lives or how much shipping costs. If the judge drops out, they get to keep the books.

FWIW, to my knowledge this was changed a few years ago and now physical copies are optional.

• Locked thread