Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

SunAndSpring posted:

How is Mutants and Masterminds? Might be doing a superhero game soon so I'm looking into picking that up. I read Masks and that's a little too specialized towards relationships and not general punch-man stuff.

I only played first and second edition, but I loved it. It has a lot of flexibility for character types and the alternate power/power stunt system gives players a lot of options during play as well. As Asimo said, there is some potential for rules abuse so you have to be willing to veto some things, but the power level system helps keep it under control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Ratpick posted:

Incidentally, this means that the America equivalent also has the largest concentration of evil cults dedicated to nihilism and destruction (but enough about Republicans) because they were remorselessly persecuted back in their original countries, so you might have a friendly neighborhood death cult organizing a bake sale.

I like this idea.

Along those lines, when I was trying to come up with a setting like that myself, the main thing was that the next step of corporate personhood was corporate apotheosis. A board of directors is not a god, but the law grants them the powers of one, the domains of which are a matter of branding, their divine strength waning and waxing with the value of their stock.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

As a graduate of Larius Firetongue's School of Sorcery and a veteran of the Zulkir Civil War, I

In my previous position as bardic associate, I demonstrated leadership and rolling a 20 for initiative.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Is that table trying to tell me there's a Timecube RPG

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

They should have sent a bard...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Realtalk, tabletop games, both as a hobby and a medium, would be significantly better if they were strictly PG-13.

Kwyndig posted:

At the very least if that was the expected norm and anything outside of that had content warnings it would be good.

Yeah, and yeah. For that matter, there should really be a mass-market RPG that's strictly G-rated. Mostly for when people want to play with their kids, but also as a pushback against a lot of the negative assumptions that come baked into a lot of popular RPGs (the centrality of murder comes to mind).

...and also because I would play the hell out of Cucumber Quest, the RPG.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Covok posted:

This leads to a big conspiracy of individuals who have psychic abilities, like the Russians were experimenting with in the 80s according to the roleplaying book, that have lived in secret in separate societies that believe their powers are magic.

This ends up tracing them to a school for these crazy people where Tesladyne believes the killer is living and operating in. A school where these people teach their young how to use their psychic powers, their "magic", and basically indoctrinate them into this cult that laughs at science and tries its best to live as if it were still the 1600s.

This joke kinda hinges on it being completely absurd to call psychic powers magic. That's splitting a real fine hair.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

To go off a little bit more on this tangent, there was a discussion on RPPR a while back about how one of the drivers of creativity in old-school D&D was the random assignment of spells:

If you let a D&D newbie pick a Magic-User spell, they might go for Magic Missile as the most intuitive one.
If you let a D&D veteran pick a Magic-User spell, they might go for Sleep as the actually most powerful spell available.
But if you just assign a spell randomly, then the character has to make do with what they have, and that forces them to get creative, because what the gently caress are you going to do with Goodberry when facing down a pack of angry orcs?

(I suspect, but cannot confirm, that Light's ability to cause a dazzling attack penalty effect when cast on an enemy was probably a player at Gygax's table trying that exact thing once, and Gygax just formally wrote it into the books)

As a counter-point, when you allow a player to always choose what spells they get, they'll then figure out the best "combo" or most versatile/useful assortment of spells, and always lean on those. It's when their choices are sub-optimal that they resort to doing something different. Which is not to say that I necessarily advocate for this approach, but it's interesting to think about.

There was even a thought experiment of a game where a spellcaster might begin the game with a single high-level spell, like maybe ... Transport Via Plants, or Rainbow Pattern, or Reverse Gravity ... but that's all the spellcaster would be able to cast. There are a bunch of spells in D&D that are kinda cool or have a lot of potentially creative applications, but they never get used because save-or-dies exist.

===

To bring it back to the Fighter discussion, obviously it's just another expression of the martial-v-caster disparity that a caster can "negotiate" with the GM on what their Tenser's Floating Disc can actually do, but then it's the Fighter that can arguably benefit the most from being able to add even just a few "utility scrolls" to their repertoire.

This is a good post, and if I end up running 3.5 or 5e I will keep it in mind. Probably 4th too--consider giving everyone Ritual Caster for free, and handing out oddball rituals as loot and only letting each one be learned by a single character. So maybe out of combat the Fighter also sometimes lights incense in his cabin and communes with the gods for glimpses of the future. Or...a better example.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Vinchenz posted:

I'm also looking to trying out hex-crawling in this, which is something I haven't done before.

I never heard of hex crawling before, but looking it up on google (ie literally the first link that shows up after searching hex crawl), it sounds like a really good way to implement some ideas I've had in mind for a while. Any recommendations where to read more about it?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

some loving LIAR posted:

The parts of Mutant: Year Zero that are hexcrawl-based are similar enough to what I remember doing, except that it does a better job of keeping the whole thing interesting by tying it into the civ-development minigame.

See, that sounds like exactly my jam. The ideas I think hexcrawling would improve are ones where the PCs basically settle along with their fellow refugees, and adventure for resources to get back on a stable footing, and if successful, eventually developing into a regional power.

Although I've also been thinking "Star Control II, but in Spelljammer" and hexcrawling might apply there too, since that's basically what Star Control was all about. Except the map was, you know, space.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Why skip straight from the founding fathers to the modern day?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/tenderdnd/status/928605949060935680

You have nothing to lose but your +1 Unholy Spiked Chain of Obeisance

This is my new favorite twitter.

https://twitter.com/hawkesdraw/status/917552962997645314

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

If we're going to talk anime, let's talk Neo Yokio.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Yeah and the reason I'm leery of it being approached in the game is that it directly references the 2016 election and fears of vote tampering within the book. GRU SV-8 kinda doesn't need to be seduced into playing that role. The fact that in their receipt of funding comes corruption into becoming the heir of MJ-12's throne is a much better hook than MJ-12's existence because it's the corruption of an ally and that's fine. It doesn't need to have headlines from the last 2 years rubbed all over it, it doesn't need the "new mythos Cold War" angle.

It seems to me that if it's already committed to updating by integrating the war on terror, it would be weird to just stop modernizing at 2015 or whenever.

I guess it might date itself when new information comes out, but otherwise.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So has anyone used Tabletop Simulator to run a campaign? And if so, how was it and what should I know before I try?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

quote:

“This is the purge, right?” Will Smith asked the crowd. “This is the cleanse, this is what happens. This is the natural reaction to the amount of light that came into the world when Barack Obama was the president.” [...] “We had to expect that [the pendulum] was going to go the other way,” he said. “As a cleanse — this is the darkness before the dawn.”

When that happens, he said, “I feel very, very strongly that we are shifting into what the next age of humanity is going to be right now,” he said. “It’s just the poo poo has to get stirred up, in a way. We’re seeing it all.”

He truly is his son's father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Dumb question, but anyone got a recommendation for a fantasy series in the classic sword and sorcery, D&D style? Something that isnt super deep, but can give me some inspiration as try to be a better gm

Lone Wolf comes to mind. I haven't read/played in years so it might actually be awful (I remember the LPs that used to happen here drew my attention to how consistently "swarthy" people are evil), but I can't think of anything else in that vein that isn't definitely awful.

Moving away from that a bit, there's Perdido Street Station and sequels, which mostly comes to mind because a low-key parody of a D&D party shows up at one point. "The Fifth Season" is not classic sword-and-sorcery and is super deep--stratigraphically--but it's also the only fantasy novel I've read in years that actually took a stylistic risk, and a successful one at that.

• Locked thread