Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hell yeah.

This year I'm hoping to conclude the Zeitgeist campaign. It will be my first 0-30 4e campaign despite running it since it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My players accidentally themselves regularly.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, hey, I just wrapped up a 3-session holiday interlude into Godbound.

My table's verdict was like 12 thumbs up. It's a really great, well-made, interesting game, and my players seriously dug how their Gifts and Miracles worked, and the amount of change they were able to make on the world with a thought.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I don't know where else to say this, but holy poo poo Godbound is really good. The FATAL and friends writeup of Shadow of the Demon Lord made me look at it over on DTRPG and while I was picking that book up I figured I'd get the free version of Godbound too because I remembered it getting some good reviews. I was pretty unimpressed with Stars without Number and Silent Legions, but Godbound just seems fantastic.
I ran 3 sessions.

It really is that good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Godbound is anything but groggy in its style. Using Basic D&D as a base really just gives him an easy on-ramp to explore the game's real mechanics - Effort, Words, and Influence/Dominion.

Having run it, the game just works. I ran Ten Buried Blades during the holiday, and my players want to go back to it once we've finished up Zeitgeist 4e.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, my kids love "playing D&D" although mostly they love playing with my minis. They are 5 and 6.

I did run a Sorta-basic game for them once, but it was super free-form.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

How are the FFG Star Wars games? I'm thinking of playing some space opera games and I'm leaning towards Stars Without Number but would probably be able to get more players if I use a familiar setting.
This is probably just me, but I don't like the amount of "figure out interesting consequences" every roll places on the GM. :shrug:

Otherwise it's a solid enough system, overall, especially if that's the kind of thing you enjoy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fr0id posted:

Technically per the rules, the side that rolls comes up with good consequences that they rolled and the side they roll against comes up with bad consequences that they rolled. So as a GM you are doing only half the work of coming up with results each time. Also, if a roll doesn't have any kind of interesting consequences, consider whether it's actually worth rolling.
Nah, I'm just frequently okay with the roll's outcome itself being the interesting thing I question, rather than worrying about coming up with side-things.

And for real, I think it's fine, it's just a personal taste thing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On the other hand, I think gallows humor is an important way to maintain resilience in the face of horrifying realities.
Same, at least online. Can't do it in person because my wife is more or less in a state of constant existential panic-and-or-dread, anymore.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zephirum posted:

Speaking of Dunmer has anyone done a TES game? What kind of system would work for one?
Someone did a Savage Worlds conversion that looked kinda okay?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

I dunno. It was pretty great. The new movies are even better.
Agreed.

The movies are a really good remix.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

Outside Fen Shui and Feng Shui II, Exalted, Legend of the Five Rings, Tenra Bansho Zero, Reflections, and Ninja Crusade, what other games have Asian-inspired settings that are worth looking at?
Some relatively recent Kickstarters I've been on board for

Ryuutama (definitely recommended)
Tianxia (Fate Core-based)
JadePunk (also Fate Core-based)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I ran my funnel as "mob of peasants" instead of Paranoia-Clone style. You had one 'default' character that was doing stuff if you didn't specify anyone else, but your other characters were there if you needed them. It works okay either way, I think, with the mob having more survivors in the end.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Countblanc posted:

I hear Zeitgeist for 4e is good
Yeah, it's baller. I'm having to fix more stat blocks at higher levels, but it's still loving great.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I have an idea!

Ed Greenwood is a pervert.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Shhhh... just sit back and wait...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, my dog is really chill. I mean, I walk him once a day, let him out a few times besides, and feed him. He hangs out, chases the cat (more vice-versa), lets us know about dangerous joggers and bicyclists outside, and just wants the occasional treat or petting. He's a good dog.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Powers & Perils is the only good RPG.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Goons, please help. I am looking for the rpg.net (or was it here?) threads that aggressively deconstructed 3rd edition, and I can't find them because they've been quoted around so much.

(1) The long breakdown of why 3.x saving throw math gets so crazy, so fast,
(2) The source of the "aggresively hegemonizing ursine swarm" quote.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

YES! Thank you! Bookmarked so I don't lose it again.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Flaggy posted:

We are looking at getting some "battlemats" for a RPG campaign, any recommendations? I see the chessex ones that can be written on and reusable, didn't know if there was something better out there.
We mostly use Chessex, but a friend of mine owns Maps by Mars, and I liked the ones he sent me. Go with a lighter color, though, because the dark ones are seriously dark.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's a blast if everyone is in the right mood. Some of my favorite gaming memories are from Paranoia one-shots.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, the fun of Paranoia isn't all in the gags and jokes. It's about the Catch-22's and conflicting goals, and about the interplay between within-party conflict and the mission itself.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yep. An 80% chance is an 80% chance no matter how you slice it.

However, modifiers to the roll (and other mechanical considerations when setting target numbers) need to be considered during game design.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think you might be able to make Shadows of the Colossus work in 4e, but it will involve using a hot wire to cut foam, drawing grids onto the foam, maybe getting super crafty and making movable hinges, and using pushpins in lieu of minis.

Or just use a big map and a (flat) sub-map to represent the monster's own on-body terrain.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm good with the top row and leftmost column basically in their entirety.

A wrap is a sandwich, pretty obviously, just with weird bread. An ice cream sandwich is a sandwich because it says so right there.

But then again, Steak & Shake is doing this (probably gross, haven't tried it) thing where you have a burger patty and an open hot dog on a hamburger bun. And that's like obviously a sandwich. But if you put it in a hoagie bun it still seems like it would be despite the presence of a hot dog, you know? Because when it comes down to it, a hot dog is really just bologna, and that's totally a sandwich ingredient. But then given that, why wouldn't a hot dog be one?

And pop tarts ... I mean, that's just a PB&J without the PB, and yet...

And now I have put way too much thought into this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It may have been false bravado, but Morrus was pretty clearly happy with the 4e sales of the Zeitgeist adventure path.

I can't think of anyone else who claimed any success, however.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
What's the best place to quickly sell RPG stuff? I have a ton of Star Wars Saga Edition - including rare/wanted books like Starships of the Galaxy and the Old Republic Campaign Guide - and I'm looking to sell.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

I am in the market to complete my SW RPG collection, believe it or not. Let's chat and compare prices.
I'll send you a PM when I get home and can make a good list.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

I am in the market to complete my SW RPG collection, believe it or not. Let's chat and compare prices.
Seems you're not getting PMs for some reason, or I mistyped something so...

I thought I had more than these six, but ... I have these six! The Core Rulebook is in rough shape - it's a well-loved RPG book, with annotations, post-it flags, damage, probably pencil marks, etc. Everything else is good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

I actually still own a few of those from when they were new. Since I'm not trying to get to the KOTOR book off you, you can pretty much name your price on those if Amazon is anything to go by. What is the condition of the books? Any bent pages? Might pick up one just to replace my damaged copy.
I'll let you know. I'll post around a bit. I am mostly interested in selling as a lot, but it looks like I could break Old Republic out and sell that one individually. I haven't set a price yet, but if you have an offer, I'll listen. :)

e: No promises on the core book, but the others have only been browsed through a bit. That's it though. The core book is ... well, it would be fine as a backup copy for a player or something.

e2: JFC, no way anyone is paying $600 for Old Republic. You're crazy, Amazon.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 3, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, back in the 80's, there were two licensed games that everyone knows about. Star Wars d6 by West End Games, and Middle-Earth Role Playing (MERP) by ICE.

The stuff that Slavicek, Gorden, and the rest made for the Star Wars rpg frequently became canon for the Star Wars universe, with much of it even surviving the recent purge. Their species names, in particular, have survived. Even weird stuff - like, the Interdictor cruiser is being reintroduced in Rebels after being invented in the late 80's. It's left a permanent mark.

On the other hand, the MERP materials had little to no impact on Middle Earth canon. The closest I can find is people using their invented Nazgul names in stuff like the CCG. (Oh, and the fabulous maps have fans.) Its expansion of the setting is, however, largely derided and ignored.

Why do you think this was the case? I have my own ideas of why this disparity happened, but I thought it might be an interesting discussion.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Geometry is Euclidian. You can't have non-Euclidian geometry.
Counterpoint: My uncle was eaten by the Hounds of Tindalos.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ominous Jazz posted:

that vendiagram is a circle
But a non-euclidean circle.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Barudak posted:

Based on sales of Torment and Tyranny it also will be a failure.
Torment flopped?

I backed it, got it, and haven't played it yet, but I hadn't heard how it was doing otherwise.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

That sounds about right, they're games that can be fun but really overstay their welcome easily.
Munchkin overstays its welcome within 10 minutes. Which, yeah, just like Pathfinder.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Strategy" and "tactics" are just crutches for those who can't face the truth. Chutes and Ladders simulates that you have no control over your success or failure, or even over your moral choices, and life is a meaningless sea of chaos in which nobody can truly influence. As such, it's the only meaningful board game you ever need to play. But to be fair, Uno and Sorry! are good demonstrations of how other people will crush you without mercy and how society is less like a hive of bees and more like a bucket of crabs.

Munchkin, on the other hand, is for babies that need a reward and applause every time they kick down a door and murder a stranger. :mad:
Candyland shows how all of our destinies are set at birth and we're just waiting to see if we get stuck in the molasses swamp, or climb the gumdrop mountains.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arivia posted:

Ed's not perfect, but creepy pervert is way off the mark.
I know of a few gen-con-attending women who would disagree.

e: http://web.archive.org/web/20081011041149/http://www.d20blonde.com/?p=178

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

How long do you think John Wick the game designer was super-smug about John Wick the movie?
Trick question. It's indistinguishable from his normal smugness.

• Locked thread