Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

It's only a few days into the administration and I'm already terrified and (no joke) want to die. I spend at least part of each day crying and/or screaming.

I have no idea how I'm going to make it through four years of this, but it's not like I've got many options.

Stop posting online and go get therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I remember seeing a project on /tg/ for making an Elder Scrolls RPG. From what I remember it was a system that worked sort of like Warhammer Fantasy; you got base stats like Strength, Endurance, and what not that have base stats per race and then you roll 2d10 seven times and assign them to whatever stats you wish, and then you get skills that aid your tests against your stats.

That system is tremendously over complex and awful.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Well I didn't say it was good. Just saying I remembered it. What exactly is wrong with it?

It's one of those /tg systems that desperately wants to meticulously copy every aspect of the subject material without any regard for the difference in mediums. Basically, every system and subsystem is a bloated mess. See also Pokemon Freedom Unite or whatever they call it now.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Pokemon Tabletop United is pretty good!

It's ok, but it's super dense and messy.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you want to run it in FATE, you could pretty easily do a five skill approach, named after the five classes, that each let you do stuff most appropriate to that job. I did a system like that for Orlanthi in Glorantha, and used Thane, Chief, Trickster, Loremaster, and Trader. I started people with +3, +2, +1, +1, +0. For special abilities (or magic in Glorantha), I gave them two extra Aspects that were specifically for their special abilities, and gave them much more leeway to make declarations using them.

The result worked well for a very story/roleplay driven game, though we kinda ended up scrapping traditional FATE combat as we went on and just using more general RPed conflict, since no one liked FATE combat much.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm legitimately not sure why depicting slavers as villains is a problem?? Emancipation through the overcoming of tyranny or slavery is a classic, resonant story.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

The short of it is because slavery was a real rear end thing and it's weird how only the dark skinned ~exotic~ races in elf games seem to practice them considering history

Murder, war and injustice are also things that happen to real people in the real world. They have emotional weight because they aren't pure fantasy, and roleplaying making a difference against those things is positive.

The latter is absolutely a problem, yeah.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

Okay, but all the murder and war isn't exclusive to the ~exotic~ dark skinned race. I'm not saying that you can't or shouldn't talk about slavery in elf games but I'm saying we're doing a poo poo job if we we're doing it like this.

Yeah, I agree on that point, but extending that to 'all depictions of slavery in fantasy are bad' is dumb as hell.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

Dog that's not what I was saying

No, but it's what some other posters were saying!

S.J. posted:

The idea isn't that 'all depictions of slavery in fantasy are bad', it's that no one who writes fantasy RPGs is in any way shape or form intellectually capable of writing about slavery in a way that isn't loving awful garbage, so just throw it out instead of trying to make hand-wringing excuses to keep it in that are complete bullshit.

Like this one!

A lot of writers engage human tragedy badly. It's a reason to do better, not a reason to avoid the topic.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 9, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

remusclaw posted:

So, who's trying to do better? Because what this seems to be about is the people who want to continue engaging human tragedy badly.

I guess it wasn't clear from my initial posts, but my beef is engaging the posters who say 'just don't depict slavery in fantasy at all', not the people who say it's done badly.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

remusclaw posted:

On that front, if the writer doesn't have anything interesting to say about slavery, why should they include it?

In terms of setting writing? To have ready made villains for player character to oppose, imo.

Serf posted:

if your goal is to include slavers as irredeemable villains who must be murdered relentlessly, then I say go wild

Basically this.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

remusclaw posted:

I suppose then that the game is specifically about fighting the slavers. I would assume then that that is at least one of the most important parts of the setting and is that slavery and slavers are explicitly the antagonist. Putting that aside, why include slavery if it isn't one of core aspects of what you are writing about?

Why include brutal warlords in a setting not wholly and specifically about fighting brutal warlords? A setting can have multiple ready made villains.

S.J. posted:

that's not what i said either, dude

people who can't write about a sensitive topic well shouldn't write about it is not the same as saying fantasy shouldn't include any depictions of slavery

Those were not the words you typed. You posted that 'no fantasy writer can engage it well, ever, so just don't'.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

there is a quote function, and no i didn't

S.J. posted:

it's that no one who writes fantasy RPGs is in any way shape or form intellectually capable of writing about slavery in a way that isn't loving awful garbage, so just throw it out instead of trying to make hand-wringing excuses to keep it in that are complete bullshit.

It's hard to lie, when there's a quote function.

e: oh, so it's only fantasy rpg writers who are, utterly incapable of ever engaging it well. That makes your idiotic claim much more reasonable!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

You are not reading my post, so please stop responding to it.

I am, your claim is still dumb as gently caress.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

remusclaw posted:

So the answer is basically "Why not?"? If you don't have a defensible reason for doing something, and are challenged on that something, I am more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the folks who will argue from a position they are passionate about than a side who argues from "why not?" And that is not to say that "Why not?" is indefensible, just that it is by far the weakest argument for something that people take issue with.

I mean, do whatever, why not? But when people have issues with it, "why not?" isn't good enough anymore, you need something stronger.

Uh, my counter here is 'why throw it out'? What is particularly bad about the human tragedy of slavery that it must not be engaged, compared to war/murder/tyranny ect?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

People who write fantasy rpgs aren't really able to handle the topic well. Those people shouldn't include it in their products. Sorry if there was confusion but it's pretty straight forward.

Yeah I still take issue with your categorical claim but whatever.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

I don't think it's any different than tyranny/war/murder, actually. Most people who write fantasy rpgs are bad at it imo though just in general

Ok sure, I can agree with that

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Haystack posted:

To play devil's advocate... what is particularly bad about the human tragedy of rape that it must not be engaged, compared to war/murder/tyranny ect?

Because that's a personal and private tragedy, and not a societal one.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

I hella disagree. Wars create a lot of situations for personal and private tragedy, more than enough so that it would be able to adequately cover any situations in which you might otherwise think rape is appropriate. I also think people shouldn't use rape in their rpgs.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Rape is always a personal and private tragedy. Murder/war/tyranny/slavery are often societal tragedies. They can also cause personal and private tragedies, but they aren't strictly so.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

remusclaw posted:

I don't think it must not be engaged, but I think that the people who have issue with it should be engaged with. What is so important about it that it must be maintained, and fought for, as a usable concept?

When it comes down to it, the argument against slavery in gaming has people jumping up to defend it. Why? It's not like they couldn't just ignore the people calling them out and just keep doing what they are doing. They feel a need to engage that has to go deeper than "Why not?" or they would't feel such a need to engage. Is it just a censorship thing? If so, why not defend it that way? Why, for instance, do people(not you as far as I can tell), go all apologetic on ancient slavery as opposed to American chattel slavery when defending it?

I guess it is a censorship thing, in my mind? I mean, I don't have a problem not engaging topics that are legitimately going to hurt the people I'm interacting with, but legal slavery is so removed from the experience of almost any modern people that using it as a strictly villainous fantasy thing is harmless. I wouldn't want to depict modern slavery though, like say, Shadowrun.

S.J. posted:

I mean, I still disagree. I believe war/etc are personal and private tragedies writ large, which is why slavery and rape is so unnecessary for the kinds of analogy focused story telling that fantasy provides. It's already covered in such a way that it's easier to distance from emotionally (generally speaking, of course).

I mean, modern people are more likely to have been affected by war or murder than legal slavery.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 9, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

Sure, and we often believe that slavery is worse than war or murder in some ways, which makes it easier to distance ourselves from it emotionally. I'd like you to be more specific about what you mean by 'legal slavery' because that can be anywhere from the slavery of the blacks in the US to effectively working a 9-5 job thousands of years ago, so I'm not really sure how to take your comments on it.

I uh, wouldn't really every compare slavery to working a 9-5 job, and don't think the exact flavor of slavery matters for this conversation? Suffice to say it's all 'very bad' to 'atrociously bad'.

e; my point was comparing slavery backed by a government, versus modern illegal slavery.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 9, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I only like anime elves.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

I guess I don't want ignore the disagreement and move on because disagreeing with people makes me feel bad. I'm dumb enough to want some kind of resolution.
Besides, it's important enough to keep pages of surprisingly not bad discussion going. Slavery is a big, evil topic.

Toph, where does Django Unchained fall on that scale? Satirically violent?

Yeah I kinda take issue with the idea that when and how certain evils should be depicted is an 'unnecessary intellectual exercise'.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I think people might of misunderstood what her point was. Basically, nobody is compelled to defend their position against every idiot who comes their way, nor do you need to participate in every argument you come across (the classic White Guy problem). That said, don't make it your goal to shut down discussion between others just because you, personally, don't want to be involved.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, when I want to play a game about aliens enslaving all of humanity, people are down. But when I want to play a game about aliens raping all of humanity, people look askance. What's the deal with that???

Hurr,

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Alignment: Jews

Ah, a Central Banker

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Necromancy is evil in most DnD settings cause even non sentient undead are animated by the force of entropy and anti-life, and are inherently malicious.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also iirc 3.5 specifically says that uncontrolled mindless undead go around sniffing out life cause that's what the negative energy animating them drives them to do.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Asimo posted:

i'm reasonably certain this is an anime genre these days

It's really good

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Reene posted:

exalted is a really bad game to be fair and I legitimately have no idea how anyone sits down and plays it past character creation as vast swaths of the system are labyrinthine or literally incomprehensible

That's not true anymore. 3e is bloated, but functional.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Can someone tell me whay games are there where you play as a Lamia or maybe even as an Arachne

Dungeons and Dragons Three Point Five

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

I don´t think there are any "Monstergirl RPG" games yet.

On another note, what is the design implication from "wounds systems" for games? I´m thinking of replacing the current hp with death spiral systems with a heavy, medium, light wounds system which would also force a rewrite of combat values and "combat abilities" but allows for a very different feel but I´m unclear about the effect on a design by itself and wanted to ask therefore, what Alpha Complex thinks about that ;)

They're kinda a relic of the 90s tbh. They're fine in a gritty game where combat is meant to be avoided, but basically the problem with them is it makes players less able to participate as the fight goes on.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Thinking about it, I actually kinda like how the wound system for the Warhammer RPGs work, where you have a nice cushion of Wounds that act like HP, and then you start taking actual penalizing/lasting injuries when they run out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Traditional Games 5e

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There has to be some system out there actually designed for playing Shadow of the Colossus / Horizon Dawn Zero / etc. "Hunting giant monsters" is just too obvious of a niche to pass up.

This gets discussed every few months. It doesn't really exist cause Dark Souls/Monster Hunter/other pattern recognition based action games don't translate well into turn based tabletop games.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also just generally I refuse to believe that turn-based tabletop is necessarily limited to points along a straight line from "no real rules" to "rules for Chainmail."

Of course not. You forgot 'rules for Harnmaster'

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Impermanent posted:

Dogs in the Vineyard is a Good Game and more games should use its style of conflict escalation. It's the one thing Unknown Armies sorely needs, but lacks.

Yeah, it's conflict system is pretty superb for rules-light play. It's my go-to now.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah I remember some joke about snake armpit hair. Anyways it's funny and no big deal but probs shouldn't be in an actual product.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

Hey Matt, how's your Monday game going? Anyways, no that's not really a thing. Paranoia maybe?

Isn't there a 'furry libertarians in space' game? I think I read an F&F about it one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm not really sure why I wrote this thing, but I guess I might as well share it now. Basically, I like Tolkienian dwarves, but feel like writers often fail to put much thought into their society. It kinda evolved into it's own thing from there.

• Locked thread