Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That article is actually correct about a lot of things, namely the fact that the Empire is the Republic. But of course he then has to describe Palpatine as "a relatively benign dictator, one you could do business with. Like Pinochet, the dictator whose regime had special camps where they trained dogs to rape political prisoners."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Robot Style posted:

Is this guy just taking advantage of a poorly QC'ed fanmade game, or is there active bullshit going on?
Can't it be both?

There are two types of D20 adaptations: awfully-balanced fussy piles of bullshit, and the figment of the author's imagination that he believes he actually wrote.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ratpick posted:

Someone on tumblr posted a way back about using Strike! for Mass Effect. I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the series myself, but as far as I understand they're essentially sci-fi RPGs with some cover-based shooting, so it does not seem that far-fetched an idea. You could probably even hack the emotional attributes system in some way to make a Paragon/Renegade system. Maybe? I don't know.

Here's unseenlibrarian's post with the race/class notes he wrote up for it.

Strike! is what I would use if I was going to run ME. Fragged Empire would also work well but would require a lot more work, since that's not designed as a multi-genre toolkit game.

Edit: Derp! He beat me to it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

rkajdi posted:

What's it like to be this wrong about everything? People hate on anyone with the taste to base their life around a lower-talent version of Eminem crossed with KISS, regardless of social class.
My question is why you bother speaking up to defend "hating on" juggalos. Like, are you bombarded with ICP's crappy music on the radio when you go out? Are you constantly hearing news about them that you don't care about? Do you see tons of their merchandise clogging every shelf in every store? Do juggalos harass you on the street?

For a good while it was a fad for hip, liberal-leaning news sites to post "I Went to the Gathering" articles. If you were the sort of brain-damaged liberal who takes seriously articles titled "We Seriously Need to Talk About What a Celebrity Just Did and What It Means for Our Culture," these articles were a free pass to ogle boobs and mock poor people for being trashy. It's hypocritical and classist as gently caress.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
From what I know of their work, ICP's early albums are power fantasy narratives about fixing society with violent vigilantism, complete with masks and codenames. It's a pretty basic violent superhero fantasy; no surprise they have fans who would want to make a game out of it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Re: Mass Effect adaptations

Other than the 500+ page d20 Juggernaut you linked to, I've uploaded:

- a 66 page Mass Effect system floating around /tg/
- a 200+ page Mass Effect FATE system

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cc1msshan3cfy/Best_of_tg

Fuego Fish posted:

There's also this old hack on the TG Wiki. I think it predates the sequels, though.
Don't know if this is by the same people as the wiki version Fuego Fish posted, but here's D6 Mass Effect v2.35 in PDF format.

(Looks like Eric Gibson was good for something after all!)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Everything I've ever read about the setting of Exalted makes me want to play it, and everything I've ever read about the mechanics, of any edition, crushes my dreams.
To be fair, this is most roleplaying games.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Arivia posted:

Or you could do it in the projects and use the tenements as real life dungeons complete with unpeople as monsters!
I was playing the Arkham Asylum series at the same time I was reading through people's attempts to do superheroes in OSR rules frameworks (note: they're all bad), and got the idea that "street-level" supers would make for a pretty good dungeoncrawl where the dungeon is the villain's lair, or Arkham island, or just the mean streets of Gotham. But I was uncomfortable with the latter idea for exactly this reason.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Serf posted:

Like on the one hand I love The Warriors and a game where you play a goofy New York street gang fighting other bizarre 70s New York street gangs for survival sounds pretty cool. But at the same time there's just no way to make it work without it being totally ignorant.
I think that this works fine if you don't set it in 1970s New York but, at the very least, in a cyberpunk or Escape from New York setting at something of a remove, so that you're not playing caricatures of actual downtrodden urban poor people. Like, no one is going to call you racist for playing Necromunda.

You don't have to play street gangs squabbling with each other, either, but with the heavily-armed vigilantes invading your neighbourhood. SERF, YOU ARE ORDERED TO LEAVE THE BRONX. A SOLAR-POWERED PRE-FURNISHED HOME AWAITS YOU IN NEW MEXICO.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My favorite edition wars meme is the people who claim that they played 4e with a group of kids and they hated it, but those same kids loved AD&D 1st edition.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

dwarf74 posted:

This is probably just me, but I don't like the amount of "figure out interesting consequences" every roll places on the GM. :shrug:

Otherwise it's a solid enough system, overall, especially if that's the kind of thing you enjoy.
I totally get what you're saying, though I find that this is not a problem for me (at least in combat) because I've just found that I'm very good at that kind of thing, probably because I grew up addicted to kung fu movies. The last time I ran D&D 3.5, my group told me they wanted to focus on lots of combat because their favourite thing was me narrating what happened when they scored critical hits. We were using the Book of 9 Swords, so...

Instead, I struggle with that kind of thing when the burden is on the GM to think of social consequences, as in Monsterhearts.

But really, my only complaint about Edge of the Empire is that you have to buy the funny overpriced dice. FFG is good at making people dependent on Ameritrash bits to play with.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ratpick posted:

I recently blogged about taking cues from the current administration for your games, would also fit in well with Delta Green: http://fuckyeahdnd.tumblr.com/post/156390433272/steal-this-campaign-idea
With all due respect, please let my D&D game be 4 hours of the week when I am not constantly bombarded with new and horrible information about You Know Who.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Mystara is The Best or, failing that, certainly better than FR and Dragonlance.

Sion posted:

Half-orcs, man.

Sun Elves are basically the default image of elves as haughty aristocrats writ large. They're great to play and even better to GM because you can basically GM them as Mean Girls.
Descriptions of elves in D&D books mostly describe them as like, super whimsical and sentimental like they are in Tolkien's Fellowship. Hugo Weaving Vulcan is how they're always actually written, though. It's weird as hell.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Uh, there's already a RPG counterpart to Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
drat it, I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna hack Mass Effect into Strike! As soon as I finish 3 F&Fs, and probably rugby season.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Sounds fascinating, but it appears to be an out of print board game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is this a good place to ask which are the good animes? I'm a WoD nerd, so I tried to get back into anime through Tokyo Ghoul, but it seems like it totally abandons its premise about halfway through in favour of "Whose tentacles are the strongest?" I'm also slowly reading the manga, but haven't caught up to where I am in the show, so I don't know if it goes off the rails similarly.

Parasyte is great so far, except for the lovely metal.

I heard that Kill la Kill and that Yo La Tengo Toppin' Gurrin' Laggin' thing that I can never spell have actual artistic value.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
EoD sounds like my thing; since the PDF's not expensive I might just have to grab it sight unseen.

I would never ever have found it if you hadn't linked it, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Helical Nightmares posted:

30% off items in Modiphius's catalogue.

Includes:
- Achtung! Cthulhu
- Mutant Year Zero (Very good)
- Mindjammer
- Mutant Chronicles
- Fiction

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4329/Modiphiushttp://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4329/Modiphius

Anyone know about Mindjammer?
Well dammit, if Infinity was out I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I've been looking at DUST a bit and I know nothing about the source material, but aside from the cheesecake it looks really cool.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well I mean, this is like asking "what are some good French books." "Anime" doesn't mean anything but a national origin + a medium.

Since you mention being a World of Darkness fan, maybe you'd like stories about people solving supernatural problems that are invisible or incomprehensible to normal human beings. Try Mononoke -- that's just "Mononoke", not Princess Mononoke, although that's a good movie too.

Or just in terms of horror generally, you might like Kemonozume, which is (effectively) about the heir of a prestigious Hunter family falling in love with a monster. Or Evangelion, which could be distantly compared to "what if humanity noticed the God-Machine and starting loving with Infrastructure."

TTGL has good animation but I couldn't stand the thematic point it ultimately decided to make, and KLK is a master-class in making personality and humor shine through a limited budget but it's also got some really gross and superfluous scenes of sexual abuse -- it crosses a line even for a show premised on "what if taking your clothes off gave you superpowers."
I probably should've given more background and been more specific, but I didn't want to sound like a snob delivering an exegesis on why I, a guy who spent last Saturday night reading Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand while watching Zardoz, do not find that Japanimation lives up to my exquisite tastes. :agesilaus:

Like a zillion other people, I was pretty into anime in college but drifted out of it. I've seen Evangelion and most of Miyazaki's films; my favourite manga were Parayste and Kare Kano. I'm sure lots of people just drift out of the fandom, but I got really fed up with the repetitive cliches and fanservice. (I think you know what I mean: an impossibly bland, nebbishy guy with panic disorder trips face-first into Tsundere's massive boobs and shoots a gallon of blood out of his nose, she screams and beats him up, later he eats a mountain of food. I admit it, at one time I owned the whole run of Love Hina, but I lost it soon after I lost my virginity and never want to see either of them again.)

As far as genre, I just like any good genre fiction with a nuanced plot and character development, that doesn't rely on just bundling popular cliches together. I really enjoyed Planetes, and I was impressed with Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, even if the political storytelling isn't particularly well-conveyed. (It relies too much on scenes where the cyber-police literally just drive around the city talking politics.)

I heard that Kill La Kill was some Kojima level weird meta-commentary on exploitation and commodification, but if it actually just wallows in fanservice, I'll definitely take a pass on that. Another reason I backed out of anime fandom was a friend who appreciated the "ironic commentary" in Puni Puni Poemi to a suspicious degree.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 27, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Parkreiner posted:

Ah, you want anime that's actually legit good storytelling as opposed to just grading on The Anime Curve. Then yeah, start with Death Parade, at least check out the first ep of Eccentric Family... and I'll get back to you.
Yeah, that's why I'm asking here and not in ADTRW. The longer I spent around avid anime fans, the more I noticed people crediting some slightly novel take on a very specific premise as breathtakingly original.

I think I have to watch JoJo because I may gradually lose sense of what everyone's talking about if I don't watch JoJo.

Apropos of nothing, I enjoyed RaXephon and Dual! more than Evangelion, all things considered, and I think El Hazard is the only harem anime I really like, if that even counts. Man, my anime fandom is from an era where a lot of it was just based on what you could actually get your hands on, I suppose.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Now I remember why El Hazard is so great, the score is amazing. The arabesque style was really a standout in an era when nerds thought a symphonic arrangement of Sephiroth's theme was high art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0WWZwDqG9M

Ulpio Minucci's theme for Robotech was exactly what it needed to be, no more and no less :corsair:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I was a sucker for Voices from a Distant Star back in the day.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Didn't Stevens pretty wisely cordon off Goblinworks so that nothing bad that happens to them affects Paizo? I don't know if Dancey was even on Paizo's payroll.

Kwyndig posted:

Last I heard there was an angel investor going to save the game any day now but they can't manage to scrounge up the capital. I can't believe any company would actually buy Goblinworks or PFO unless they got the video game rights to all of Golarion in the package though, and I doubt Lisa Stevens is willing to give those away just to get this pile of poo poo off of her desk.
I thought that this was another WCW situation, where they had a potential investor who lost interest as soon as he got a good look at their situation. Which is fitting, because Ryan Dancey is actually the Vince Russo of tabletop games.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 5, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That's even more WCW, because if people knew Vince McMahon was going to buy the company for under $3 million, a lot more people would've made a play for it, including people who were basically fans. The tape library alone was worth far more than the purchase price.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My favourite thing about PFO is still the fans who projected onto it all their completely unrealistic-to-the-point-of-insanity dreams about what a video game could be. Like the people who insisted that every single 3e spell needed to be included, including Time Stop and Divination spells. Or the guy who wanted to spend his entire in-game experience running a stable, demanding gameplay deep enough to make taking care of horses a rewarding experience.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Major features of the game were just Dancey scrambling to come up with an explanation for how the game was going to be a WoW Killer with pitifully few resources behind the development.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Despite some peculiarities, World Wide Wrestling is the best game I've ever seen for really playing professional wrestlers. (You're not just playing Hulk Hogan, you're playing Terry Bollea playing Hulk Hogan.) I expect people who don't appreciate wrestling won't get into it, though.

Edit: Spirit of '77 seems like a successor to a little indie game I remember called The Hard Way.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 8, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

General Ironicus posted:

While I completely agree, I don't see how that's significantly different from any other RPG. I'd hate to play D&D with a GM who wasn't into fantasy adventure.
You can get someone who isn't a cyberpunk enthusiast to play Shadowrun or CP2020, easy. On the GM side, as an example, I really don't give a flying gently caress about cars like some people do, but I could run a Mad Max type game that focused on the car battles. But wrestling is very much sui generis when it comes to stuff like how matches are worked to tell a specific story, the backstage politics, and most of all, when the stories touch on the backstage concerns.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
When you actually get yourself elected to Japan's National Diet and work international politics to promote the most widely attended wrestling show in world history in North Korea, it really blurs the line.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

thelazyblank posted:

How do you know that anime is actually pretty wrestling?!
I've never seen a wrestling fed have a match that lasts for several 22-minute episodes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Covok posted:

There is not a man alive who could pull that off.
Harley Race and Dory Funk Jr. in their prime could do it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That would be pretty hilarious, though. Especially if it was still in a different venue each week but still picked up right where it left off at the start of every show.

Speaking of which, what was that Japanese fed that had the batshit insane things like having a ladder be World Champion for a few weeks?

e: nevermind, found it
That championship was also held, very briefly, by each successive component of a bowl of curry, which a wrestler then won by eating the pork cutlet on top. Winning a championship belt by eating your opponent is more hardcore than 1,000,000,000,000,000 sick chairshots.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
There was also the time that Eric Bischoff challenged Vince McMahon to a shoot fight, and when Vince declined, he did put himself on a WCW card just so he could have the ref count out McMahon and declare victory. That wasn't comedy wrestling, that's just how deluded and petty Bischoff was at the time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I have wanted to play this so bad but like good luck finding people
I'd do a PBP if I wasn't so busy. I'm afraid my Macho Man impression would be lost in that format, though. Same thing holds me back from running XCrawl.

quote:

edit: Also grogs blew up the D&D 5e thread so rip me
5e is bad. Have they even released any new books done in-house, or is Mearls still trapped in a wet paper bag after that tragic game design accident?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Vampire and Shadowrun were my first games, and I got to play a lot more of the latter. As a Shadowrun junkie, I've only done character creation in The Sprawl thus far, but it really hits a sweet spot in the sense that your gear has qualities and they matter a lot, but it doesn't have a table of 15 types of slightly different handgun.

Also, like Leverage, it allows for a cinematic playstyle where the PCs are each doing their own thing, not stuck together in round-by-round combat or waiting right behind the rogue while he picks a lock.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I thought I was about as salty at 5e as one could be, but even I moved on from talking about it because there's not a lot to say that hasn't already been said. It turns out that a stripped-down 3e with AD&D flavoring...has all the problems 3e had.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 13, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Mearls decided to hire a serial harasser and a fascist as consultants. It doesn't really matter how much design work they actually did, or how much he paid them, and least of all if he's currently Facebook friends with them. He also repeated edition war memes in interviews and updates--which is not on the same level, but it's all of a piece with him looking at the most angry, stupid, childish aspects of D&D fandom and said "Yes, I should tap into this."

I don't care if Mearls loves Pundit or if hiring him was a cynical marketing ploy. Likewise his courting the worst parts of the online discussion (he certainly spent months of updates and interviews discussing design ideas that never made it into 5e). It's just pathetic that he thought his target market should be, basically, lonely immature men. It would be horrible even if 5e was brilliant design.

Arivia posted:

And fyi I try to stick to my guns about these things. I mentioned it in this thread before, but I'm no longer buying Paizo products after that poo poo with Kingdom Death, despite all the other good they've done. And you all know how much I like Pathfinder. If someone came up to me and asked if I'd recommend Pathfinder at this point I'd say no because of that poo poo, and tell them why.
What is Kingdom Death even. I cannot understand the demand for it. I wish I had market research on the customer base, probably because on some level I enjoy recoiling in horror.

I know one guy who bought it and he says the design is good, and that the dick monsters and boobarians are only a small part of the game. But GIS for Kingdom Death only gives me titty-studded dickwolves.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kwyndig posted:

The grog mines are played out, there is no new grog. All you get is inferior, recycled grog or toxic grog tailings that will poison your groundwater for a dozen generations.
I miss when grognards.txt was also about more-or-less gently poking fun at just, y'know, old grognards, like "get a load of this guy's book-length essay on facing." That quickly got taken over by discussion of people who are just horrible, because there are apparently so many of them.

If what you say is true, it's probably a good thing. Each type of crazy unreasonable person has apparently found their preferred echo chamber where they can be happy. (It's very odd when, on rare occasion, some Gaming Den doctrinaire wanders out of TGD and starts blathering about "player agency" on RPGnet or wherever.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 13, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Well there aren't a lot of them being run, but Kevin Crawford in particular is well-regarded. SWN is one of his books I really don't care for that much; in design terms I'd put Godbound and Other Dust at the top.

Running oD&D seems like a natural fit for PBP because, as I see it, a big problem with PBP is that people exhaust their enthusiasm in the character creation/campaign setup process. oD&D ain't having that poo poo. The problem is that in oD&D, everything except combat is resolved through conversation, normally in a very bit-by-bit way. Getting people to chatpost about dismantling a simple trap is also exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
IMO the best thing about Labyrinth Lord is actually Mutant Future, which is basically a version of Gamma World that is compatible with D&D Basic. (It seems most don't realize how different the editions of GW are from each other, and from D&D.)

• Locked thread