Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Young Freud posted:

TBH, it's a stage name, he wasn't born with it.

Also, he's done nothing good.

He directed Columbiana which was very good, and the first Hitman movie which wasn't completely terrible...but he also directed Transporter 3 and Taken 2 and 3 so yeah the bad is outweighing the good. Are there any French goons that can comment on his early stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Detective No. 27 posted:

Boy have I got news for you!

I liked Sahara a lot. It was entertainingly goofy :(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

DC Murderverse posted:

Actually, (and I only know this because there was a brief period where articles were written before the studio told them to get the gently caress off the internet until the movie was released) the twist is that James McAvoy's character was created for a sequel to Unbreakable and this movie is in the same continuity.

If this is true then maybe I will see it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Tars Tarkas posted:

Inframan all day every day

Fear Queen Dragonmom!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Spatula City posted:

It's effective for anyone that likes good movies, because Ang Lee is a great fuckin' director, and Heath Ledger was a great actor.

I'll give you Ledger but Ang Lee is awful.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Tars Tarkas posted:

A movie is coming direct to video that features Ice T as a vampire bootlegger in the 1920s, that alone sounds awesome and then they went and released this ridiculous poster!

I liked Snoop Dogg in Bones so I will be seeing this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean they could probably use any sort of bladed weapon or tool but swords are of course culturally linked to honor and heroism and dueling and what not, if I remember correctly the price of a decent sword for most of the Medieval period was about the same as for a car today and even after they got cheaper there were still laws in many countries forbidding commoners from carrying swords since a sword was a sign of nobility.

A chainsaw battle would be neat.

Watch Tiger on Beat. The trailer only has a few seconds of it but the fight is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsdOp4vUHRM&t=82s

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Me too.

(also the comic is fantastic)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Samuel Clemens posted:

Far less. Tintin, Asterix, and potentially Lucky Luke are probably the only Franco-Belgian comics where you can talk to a random person in Western Europe and they're likely to recognise the characters.

Edit: The Smurfs as well, I suppose, but more so for the TV series than the original comics.

Spirou and The Incal maybe as well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

well why not posted:

I just saw The Great Wall, AMA

I did too. It reminds me of Kung Fu Cult Master more than anything else. It was really stupid and occasionally fun and the creature designs are very cool. I was not expecting to see Willam Dafoe in it or Andy Lau. It was worth the matinee price for me at least.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are you telling me that Americans do not instantly recognize this dude:

I know that guy and his hooba hop...Hell, I recognize Zorglub too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

got any sevens posted:

Jury Duty? That'd be my lowest from that list.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

LesterGroans posted:

I love that email so much.

It's so much better now that I have the 'Snake People' Chrome plugin installed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Red Bones posted:

Are the monsters in Godzilla and King Kong just meant to be long lost prehistoric beasties, or are they supposed to be from space or something.

It doesn't matter.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

hiddenmovement posted:

My dad forces himself to watch every Australian film that gets made. The rover is one of like 4 from the last 5 years I've been able to sit through whenbive visited.

We make lovely, pretentious, unfunny dreck in this country.

You made Wyrmwood though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

MariusLecter posted:

As a relation to Peter Keyes(Gary Busey)?

That would be awesome, also where the hell did Atomic Blonde come from?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Len posted:

Can confirm Kong is a good time full of a giant ape wrecking the poo poo of people and monsters.

I can confirm that no monster or person remains unwrecked. It is pretty amazing the level of 'How the gently caress did he just die?' the movie sets.

Bamboo grove is the champ

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Well, he had been watching Kong for the past thirty years, so he might have noticed him getting bigger.

I'm an engineer and I have to keep resisting the urge to scream 'Square-Cube Law' at the top of my lungs everytime I see a giant whatever movie...I still love them though.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 12, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

GrandpaPants posted:

Kids shouldn't be in action movies.

Long Kiss Goodnight, True Lies

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Ghost in the Shell did not suck. It was actually pretty drat cool and looked gorgeous.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Len posted:

Um sorry no it's a bad movie that isn't Ghost in the Shell beyond using the names didn't you get the memo?

No, I didn't Was this sent through interdepartmental messaging?

The manga was different from the anime which was different from the TV series which is different from the movie. The characters and base concepts were the same and they actually had an in movie reason for the whitewashing The main villain is a horrible unfeeling dickhead, who didn't give a single gently caress about the origins of the organic components for the prototypes, just that they were from people who nobody important would give a poo poo about if they died mysteriously and randomly or simply disappeared.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Like Valentine in Kingsmen?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

CelticPredator posted:

You people exist? Hardcore Henry owns.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Fate of the Furious

I could feel my intellect drop every minute I watched.
Statham and Rock need to do a buddy-anything movie like right now.
Helen Mirren smacking Statham upside the head is hilarious.
Vin Diesel drains the fun out of every scene he's in. Fortunately, the director understood this.
They now have an honest to god supervillain to go up against.
Kurt Russell will never not be awesome, no matter how stupid the movie...

BONUS:
Rock leading a girl's soccer team in an awesome Haka.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
They do amp up the crazy in this one and Charlize Theron gets to play sociopath again.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I still want a Rock/Statham buddy anything action movie. Have Helen Mirren as the villain.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

achillesforever6 posted:

I love he shows up in the FMV game to end all FMV games Ripper
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117483/
Jesus that cast :stare:

He was the director who was a parody of John Woo right? Man I remember watching that movie a lot as a kid, probably the first thing I saw Giamatti in too

https://lparchive.org/Ripper/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH_D8COMbhc

I just saw this... It is very very Russian.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's bad! It's half fun bad and half boring bad but maybe worth a watch?

There is a tease throughout the movie that the four hero characters need to "combine their powers" in order to be super powerful, and while I was anticipating them to do that d B Z combination dance (it doesn't happen), the final act comprises them basically holding each other and creating a hadoken big enough to destroy whole skyscrapers.

Truth to the spoilers. Also, it has a bear with a telepathically controlled Gatling gun.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

FELD1 posted:

This looks loving awesome. When and how can I watch it?

Parts of it (much of it) is painfully awful and boring. Still, there are some serious :wtf: moments. I have a friend who runs an art house theater and had a sample screener. That's how I saw it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The CGI Spider tanks are cool as hell. Khan's superspeed effects are cool as hell. Arsis's CGI bear form is sketchy as hell especially on the cables, you'll know it when you see it. The plot makes no loving sense. The villain does look like an angry baby with some of the worst latex work ever. The editing is confusing to put it charitably. The acting is uh, now about those sweet rear end spider tanks!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Starts even earlier with A Horse and his Boy

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Len posted:

Guarantee that's going to have to be pounded into everyone's head. New cycle of everything so that hopefully we get more Elba doing gunkata against lobsters and demons and super smart trains.

I read a lot of King when I was younger, but never the Dark Tower specific stuff except for 'The Talisman'. I think this movie is for people like me who aren't encased in the minutia.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Sleight was actually good and sure as poo poo didn't look like it only had a 250K budget. Dule Hill makes a great villain.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Macarius Wrench posted:

Justified because it was an awful film, thoroughly awful. Not bad in an entertaining way, not terrible in an unexpected way, just completely pointless and dull and poorly made. Granted I'm not an anime nerd, i saw about half the 95 original when I was a kid, and the only real draw for me was ScarJo but doesn't change how loving god awful that film was.

Just thinking back to my time in the cinema I am reminded of the uncomfortable, restrictive, choking feeling I had when I looked at my watch and realised only 25 minutes had passed since the trailers ended.

Vile film, pointless and un-redeeming. It's the worst movie I have ever sat through and I saw Pixels.

Really? drat, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW, I saw Avatar in a real IMAX theater in 3D. It was 20 dollars a ticket and looked absolutely great. I regret nothing.

I saw it twice in 3D at a real IMAX. I still really like the movie too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Casimir Radon posted:

It's the worst movie I've seen in the last 10 years.

What? It's got Mark Dacascos, Carrie-Anne Moss, Graham Greene, and Tony Todd in it. Sabotage is a great movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

syscall girl posted:

No idea or opinion on this one but let's play "name the incredibly talented people who were involved with a movie that was terrible."

It's happened.

It's just that I prefer to believe this is the only movie of that name.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117533/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Casimir Radon posted:

His best role post-politics has probably been The Last Stand which was alright. It was the best of the old guy action star vehicles that came put that year around the same time. Bullet to the Head wasn't very good and I didn't even bother watching whatever the latest Die Hard was called. I hated Sabotage, didn't watch Escape Plan and don't really have any desire to see his dramatic roles.

Maggie has a really solid Arnie performance, and Aftermath is a legit good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

The MSJ posted:

If the games are any indication, they might make it more horror than action, but still have the protagonist punch the monsters through a wall or two. They better find another actress who can carry these movies like Mila Jovovich did.

Chloë Grace Moretz

• Locked thread