Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

precision posted:

2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2002 - "Chicago"
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind"
1996 - "The English Patient"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"

I don't know if most of these are actively worse than Crash, but they're not very good. Braveheart's all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
John Wick is good but it does the incredibly tacky TV move of having the first scene be a flash forward to the very end of the movie. That's a total lack of faith in the audience.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
"The Cure for Wellness" as a title is a clever idea but absolutely terrible in practice. It sounds like a low budget British farce or something.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I like Bound.

JA has a bunch of problems, but to me the most baffling is that the basic plot (3 siblings vying to get their hands on a young ingenue's land deed) feels like it should turn into a farcical chamber drama or something. Instead of a bunch of episodes; the thing feels like a rushed anime adaptation or something.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean it's the intro to a cable television awards show so it's not great or anything but a lot of the spliced dialogue is pretty funny still I think.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's an odd choice to the extent that children still play board games. Uh, children still play board games right?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Board game cafes are still a thing and monopoly and catan still destroy marriages so yeah

The video game is probably easier and cheaper to market and produce as merchandise than a board game

I know dirty hipsters play Catan but do like 10 year olds.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
*Heh* Does Annie Hall hold up without audio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsHwIBR6ivA

...I withdraw my objection.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 11, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
You can also probably listen to the audio tracks of a lot of movies and get the gist--not sure what's being argued here. Define "work."

porfiria fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 11, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Waffles Inc. posted:

not really.

take my example of Alien, for instance; yeah the score is brilliant and you'll get tone poem-esque feelings of unease and alien-ness when they're on the derelict ship, but with just visuals you could get very, very close to the actual goings-on in a way you couldn't with just audio

i mean we're not debating that film is a primarily visual medium here in the film forum right? :psyduck:

What about hit 1981 comedy-drama My Dinner with Andre?

There's a reason they don't make silent films anymore. Movies with audio are just better. Just like pop music is better than poetry.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hat Thoughts posted:

I've always thought it'd be nice if more posts around here read like my 10th grade English classes' mandatory McGraw-Hill textbook was talking down to me.

(specifically a sidebar titled "Movies?" with a nice Wizard of Oz picture for illustration)

If it's down to that or Zizekian continental bullshit I choose The Matrix.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
WWZ gets points for being insanely racist, having some of ballsiest product placement of all time, and...well the opening was rad but making a cool opening to a zombie movie is like shooting fish in a confined space. I guess the bits at the airbase were kinda neat too.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I kinda like Skarsgard. I thought he was pretty good in Generation Kill as a total weirdo, anyway.

Guy Ritchie's next movie is the live action Aladdin. Hopefully with an all Arabic or Chinese cast.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Timby posted:

This reminds me of the original bugnuts crazy version of Moneyball, when Soderbergh was going to direct. Not only was it going to have interviews with the real-life players on the Oakland A's, but it was going to delve deep into some of the really esoteric statistical concepts that the book explored -- and to explain them, stats pioneer Bill James would pop up in the corner like some baseball version of the Great Gazoo to help relate them to non-baseball-fans.

Moneyball turned out pretty good I thought but yeah Soderbergh's sounded rad. It seems kind of similar to The Big Short actually.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hat Thoughts posted:

The Big Short by way of Bernie

Oh yeah! Those were the real people in Bernie right? Not like BULLSHIT When Harry Met Sally or whatever. Not that When Harry Met Sally purported to be a true story or anything.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Twitter is one of the worst things to come out of the Internet. Let that sink in.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My theater hated it but I thought it was really solid and engrossing. It's less of a horror film and more a really good character study.

Yeah I haven't seen it but it got like a "D" on Cinemascore which usually means "it's not what I expected." Horror has an especially tough time because it also gets "it wasn't scary."

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And Jumanji's trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R85IHLST7Js

Is...not what I was expecting.

Man they really don't like having children star in major motion pictures anymore do they? I wonder why/when that changed?

Edit: Haha, should have finished watching the trailer. My point still stands, kind of?

porfiria fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 29, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Teikanmi posted:

No-name child actors don't fill theater seats in a post-2009 world.

I guess, it's just weird to me that humanity circa 1995 would go see Home Alone or Little Rascals or whatever and now we don't.

I suppose the main thing is that pretty much every major release now is supposed to be four quadrant and play well in Brazil.

Edit: Fair point about JW having significant kid screentime!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the little kid movies in the early-mid 90s were a demographic thing. Just before that there were a bunch of films about people having babies (including, oddly enough, Ghostbusters II), so I think they were targeting an actual baby boom.

And of course Home Alone was a surprise hit that became one of the biggest movies of all time so that was part of it.

The echo boom is a real thing yeah, although nowhere near as massive as THE baby boom.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Punisher is immune to Ghost Rider's penance stare.

I love GR's fat doughy body and french fry hands in the final panel.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Ape Agitator posted:

Sphere the book never clicked for me like Andromeda or Jurassic Park's books did. I can usually entertain myself with his technical obsessive passages but outside of the early sections I was left cold. The movie version ties my brain in knots trying to see how talented people arrived at this result.

Sphere sucks because Critchton quickly abandons an interesting premise (American spaceship from the future at the bottom of the Pacific) for a kind of lame one (psychic powers and not-aliens).

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Hitler was just trying to prepare the Germans for the Slavic hordes.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Joker's old hat, give me a cinematic Nolan esque interpretation of Condiment King as portrayed by Robert Pattinson or give me death.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Come on guys.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Still not white tho.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Well that or get a nonwhite person to write and direct, I guess.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
All right, Kumail Nanjiani should write, direct, and star in Aladdin. Pakistan's about halfway between the Levant and China.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Tell that to Zod's butchered in post movie.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

CopywrightMMXI posted:

IT did over $13 million last night, which is in line with movies like PoTC: The Worlds End and the first Hobbit Movie. Based on their opening weekend, It's opening weekend could be between $85-$110 million.

I knew it.

Clowns are so big right now guys they really hit the jackpot on the timing. Kids are OBSESSED with scary clowns.

That and a great trailer, good reviews, memorable IP, nothing else being out, solid marketing, Stranger Things/the 80s being in.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Gatts posted:

I don't get IT and am not with IT nowadays. What's the deal as to why that movie matters?

I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you...

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's crazy to me that this garbage (direct to video in general really) has a workable business model. Do enough people really buy the DVDs? Do they sell the broadcast rights to cable changes desperate to fill up the hours? How does this stuff make money?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

feedmyleg posted:

Speaking of Max Landis being bad:

Uh, sure dude. What a tragedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ZcdO5fe8

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Also at the end of forever war communism wins,which might explain why there will never be a movie about it.

Well, humanity evolves into gay clones.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Pain and Gain is good but Michael Bay doesn't quite have a normal human sense of humor so it's not great.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah Bay has the sense of humor of like a moderately intelligent 12 year old boy, so it's somewhat hit and miss. Also the True Story chyron gag is stolen from South Park.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The King's Speech is way worse than Crash, and Crash is extremely bad. Spotlight is mediocre at best, Argo is Bad, The Departed is OK but it's just a Lifetime Achievement Award, A Beautiful Mind is terrible, Dances with Wolves is garbage...

Oscar winners are overwhelmingly bad or mediocre.

Annie Hall is better than Star Wars though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The Kings Speech is like a History Channel TV movie or something. It's pure mediocrity. Utterly brainless. Also it's pro monarchy (!) At least Crash is totally insane. Both Crash and The Room are better movies than King's Peach.

Actually every winner in the 70s is good. Except I suspect One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest isn't good.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Go watch breathless again for the thousandth time you fart-sniffer

I'm not saying any of these deserved best picture but none of them are outright bad, except crash

My taste is unbelievably middle to low brow, so I won't generally watch foreign films. Argo is just a bad movie, sorry that's how it is. I mean it's technically competent because it cost millions of dollars and was generally worked on by seasoned, talented professionals but goodness is a relative thing baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Rirse posted:

Speaking of Gladiator, what was the insane idea for the sequel to it? It sounded even more bizarre then the Forest Gump book sequel that started this discussion.

I believe Maximus becomes the god or incarnation of war and the movie ends with him in a war room in the Pentagon. By Nick Cave!

• Locked thread