Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Young Freud posted:

Can't believe that in the discussion about '90s soundtracks, no one's mentioned The Saint.

I didn't remember anything but the theme by Orbital but checking the rest was of the songs I certainly approve. It even has some Dreadzone from back when their ambient dubs were harder than the beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Saint + Master of Disguise probably makes for a delightful double bill.

Edit: The Saint + The Jackal if you are not feeling all that adventurous.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 11, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

raditts posted:

The second Hitman movie actually isn't too far off from what you describe, at least for the first act. Then the second act is kind of like The Professional but not as good. The movie kind of shits the bed in the third act but to its credit they did capture 47's "character" pretty well. I thought it was a lot better than the first but low of a bar as that is, I seem to be the only one who thinks so.

The first trailer depicts 47 as some kind of unstoppable force, something out of a horror movie. It pretty much keeps the narrative from the first act. It is good (even tho it lacks the stealthy approach that defies the character/games).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alQlJDRnQkE

The second trailer spills the beans and tells you that 47 is not the bad guy. It is terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv7lgQ8hiz0

They had the right idea to start things of, but I guess they thought "47 is not the bad guy" couldn't be a third act twist or they were simply not capable of building a movie around that. Such a shame.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 18, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Basically, that one scene from Mechanic: Resurrection is the closest thing you'll ever have to a great adaptation of the Hitman games.

(note: lovely upload designed to not get taken down by YouTube's automatic copyright detection)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hjBCy5kOaY

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ammanas posted:

Unfortunately at age 52 (!!) her beauty has started to fade :(

That didn't stop Bond in his latest movie tho

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I dig it, the Babadook at the end got me to shiver

It's a shinigami.
:goonsay:

I can't get over how perfect casting Willem Dafoe for that role is.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Gonz posted:

They're holding back the Hulkster for the Thunder in Paradise movie, brother.

Bullshit. The man loves spending time on and near the beach!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xX4W6M4lzg
It's an ad for a Dutch insurance company.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I actually just watched Sin City 2 on Netflix the other night and kinda liked it. The CGI looked really bad in parts and the writing suffered from the usual Frank Miller problems, but the short with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the gambler was legitimately great, and while the other two were way more uneven, they at least had the decency to put a lot of Marv in those two.

The problem with the gambler segment is that Powers Boothe character dies just a couple days later in a different segment. "Everyone will know that I beat you" doesn't carry much weight when the big cheese croaks.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The words "bum ticker" are forever ingrained in my brain.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

So for GitS did the lesbian stuff from the trailer actually happen? I left for a few minutes to pee.

Not much more than what you saw in the trailers. Major basically touched her face a lot trying to come to terms with her own humanity (or what is basically left of it), prompting the "what are you?" response from the prostitute. End scene.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think it's amazing that it struck a particular nerve with a property like Ghost in the Shell tho. A property that is all about fake bodies and appearances.

And then the movie came out and it is revealed that the character is a kidnapped Japanese girl who was turned into a Western looking cyborg and brainwashed with a Western identity as an experiment.

It reminds me of how people couldn't stop bitching about pictures of the Power Ranger suits when in the actual movie there is only a handful of shots of them being in the suit and not sitting in a Zord (at which point they have open helmets).

I'm starting to think these movie studios are deliberately loving with us and they feed on our outrage to fuel future, underperforming movie properties.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

parallelodad posted:

Yeah Family Matters rules. It's a family sitcom that suddenly took an insane sci-fi bent where a character invents robocops, time travel, transformation chambers, cloning machines​, shrink rays, embiggening rays, teleportation pads, and artificial gravity.

There's nothing like it.

There's an episode where they suffera home invasion and resolve this by going on the transformation change chamber with a lock of Bruce Lee's hair and then kick the poo poo out of the robbers.

All that insanity also lead to this fantastic K&P sketch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Zdp1RfoyI

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Jaleel White is loving jacked as hell now, too, so that would be hilarious.

*sips a glass of water, accidentally crushes the glass*

"Did I do that?"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Son of Saul is like Hardcore Henry but better, try that

It does have a higher bodycount and way more nudity...

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Rundown is known as Welcome to the Jungle* in a whole lot of countries, so I was confused the first time it was brought up.

*Not to be confused with the comedy starring JVCD that was released a decade later.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I like to imagine he did that to pay off his incredible debt.

Like now he's part of the ride, forever.

My dream is that Depp and Nicolas Cage will one day open an exhibit showcasing all the dumb poo poo they did to put them in such silly financial situations.

It could even have a small section devoted to Wesley Snipes and his taxes (or the lack thereof).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

And how's this for a WTF sequel? Mary Poppins Returns

What chance do you suppose that has of not sucking?

I think they already made two modern Mary Poppins sequels. They just changed her name to Nanny McPhee.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite thing about CGI Tarkin in Rogue One is that they used a facial mold made for Top Secret! as a reference point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuYTVl0iOkk

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Goosebumps sequel is titled Goosebumps: Horrorland

Will it have Jeff Goldblum again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6b_d4Crhy8&t=132s

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite thing about King Arthur was picking out those Guy Ritchie-isms (like that whole back-and-forth dialogue with Roose Bolton or the shoulder cams during the chase sequence).

That, and the heavy breathing being a recurring theme on the soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLVtqVxZgYI

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

well why not posted:

King Arthur is fine, but it's pretty mixed tonally. Jude Law definitely was pulled from a more serious movie that doesn't have a character named 'Kung Fu George' in it. Also, Eric Bana kills a horse about a minute into the movie and it's given no attention.

I don't think he killed the horse, they just parted ways :v:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I've planned a The Mummy + Kill Switch (aka First Person Shooter Cutscene: The Movie) double bill today, it will be amazing :thumbsup:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think the worst and most awkward thing about The Mummy is the humor. It just doesn't fit the movie. You're dealing with monsters and ancient evils and you want to make it lighthearted at times? It's so drat weird.

Last week I went to see a different movie in the cinema and after all the typical trailers they showed a scene from The Mummy as a "don't use your phone during the movie" message. I found it amusing and figured it was an alternative silly take they shot just for the purpose of that message. Turns out that besides adding the old Nokia ringtone sound that entire scene is in the movie, unchanged.

Maybe they looked at Marvel and DC and said "they've got jokes, our universe needs jokes too" ? Or did they look at Brendan Fraser's The Mummy movies and didn't realize those could pull of humor because the main characters weren't so serious and they were going for a playful, adventurous vibe?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 9, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Question to those who have seen The Mummy:
Is Tom Cruise playing Van Helsing like rumours suggested?

No.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Fun fact: The Scorpion King actually made a modest box office profit and had three sequels which were all direct-to-DVD junk made on shoestring budgets with a crazy cast of people like Ron Perlman, Rutger Hauer, Temuera Morrison, Dave Bautista, Lou Ferrigno and Billy Zane.

I knew Arnold Vosloo and Billy Zane looked like clones of each other, but that is just insulting. Edit: Oh, looks like his role wasn't some sort of mummy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:staredog: Ahahahahahahaha

I'm going to see this loving thing in the morning. I've made up my mind.

It sounds like 2017's Winter's Tale or Jupiter Ascending in terms of sheer batshit insanity.

It's definitely sounding like this year's Collateral Beauty.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Wait. There was romance in that movie?

Yeah, The Mummy totally had the hots for Tom Cruise, you didn't notice?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Does the new Transformers movie have rapid fire aspect ratio changes like its predecessor? That drove me absolutely crazy back then and I still don't know how I sat out more than two hours of it. I'm not a movie snob, but that was just straight-up garbage (and then there was the movie itself).

I have really low bar for movies, but that will absolutely be a dealbreaker this time. I'd rather watch The Mummy again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Peanut President posted:

God I wish every single person who argues that the transformers movies are clever satire were forced to watch them over and over for the rest of their lives.

No no no nooo!

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a really good gag in Pain and Gain that, I think, sums up Bay's view of America. The three morons are doing a home defence seminar, talking about how to deal with a rapist. Mark's character, Daniel Lugo, brings up his gorgeous trophy girlfriend and asks for a volunteer, saying 'who wants to be a rapist?' and the entire crowd stick their hand up. There's twpo interpretations of that scene. Either Bay thinks rape is hilarious, or he's showing you the sort of people that do: A bunch of sad middle aged men.

My interpretation is that all these (married) men have the hots for the girlfriend to the point that they don't mind playing something as horrible as a rapist, just so they can get really close to her for a short while. So yes I agree that it's really a bunch of sad middle aged man, taking an opportunity to be lecherous with a bullshit excuse to justify their behavior to their partners.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 22, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

That's in keeping with my reading. I guess the two readings are more separated by the intended (loaded term, I know) audience reaction. Are you supposed to laugh with these characters ('haha, yeah, I'd be a rapist for her, lol) or at them?

It might be both. In that scene you are looking at three scumbags "integrating" themselves in a gated community full of upstanding, polite (but really just rich) citizens. And yet those citizens leap at the opportunity to roleplay the opposite of the values they preach, just to get close to a beautiful woman. These people live the life that Lugo (Wahlberg) has been longing for, but at that moment they are closer to him than they would ever want to admit (to both others and to themselves).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Does transformer5 even have any china pandering? I dont remember seeing even one asian person
The jiffy pop tie-in was nice

I think one of the lawyers might have been Asian, but yeah, that pretty much is it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

My peak Steven Seagal moment is the morgue scene from The Glimmer Man.

I'm on mobile right now and I can't check it, but this one might be it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EuhFdhS3NXc (NSFW cuz it has titties if it's actually the scene)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 7, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Goddamn. War is hell, and all, but isolated parts of it were amazing.

drat right: http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/show-of-force/

quote:

The Ghost Army carried out twenty-one deception missions between June 1944 and March 1945—nearly the entire time the U.S. Army was operating in Europe. One of these was Operation Bettembourg, in which The Ghost Army filled a 75 mile gap in the American line of troops for 7 days, until an actual armored division could come in and take their place.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

They could adapt Rainbow Six Vegas...

That could probably double as a sequel to S.W.A.T. (2003)

stuffthatdidnthappen.txt

IANAL but I doubt any lawyer would go along with a literal interpretation of not leaving the room and say "goshdarn golly, you put me in a nasty predicament mistah MrFarlane, you got me good!"

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 13, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Skwirl posted:

There's a lot of them.
[...]
Michael Fassbender and Ashton Kutcher both playing Steve Jobs.

Those were 2 full years apart.

Iron Crowned posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure if Volcano or Dante's Peak is the better movie

If you want to laugh Volcano is definitely superior. Edit: then again, it's been ages since I saw Dante's Peak and it probably aged poorly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Cohen mentioned that the idea back then was that Mercury's death was the halfway point, and that the second half focused entirely on the other band members. I hope they've changed their minds since then and moved the death to the third act.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Red Bones posted:

HBO should start adapting One Piece, it's pretty much just GoT with boats anyway. There's even a couple of dragons in it.

I doubt they want to go from one series where the author was not close to wrapping things up yet to another one.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Valerian isn't even out in France and the rest of Europe yet. It feels like they're betting on the home game.

If they're releasing it for IMAX they're going to face stiff competition from Dunkirk though. The cinema I frequent has a partial schedule up to the 2nd of August and it's six showings of Dunkirk every single day, so the IMAX room is already taken.

Edit... said the idiot so used to it that he acts like every cinema has it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 23, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

well why not posted:

Can they really? Liam Neeson is about six months away from using a walking stick fulltime. No way that franchise works with another lead.

Magic happens in the cutting room :shepface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

In the comments for that trailer link someone has spoiled the entire film.

Don't mouse over this if you have a burning desire to not have it spoiled:

I'm all for more bad endings in 2017, but that is a really bad bad ending.

• Locked thread