Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The idea of a Metal Gear Solid movie weirds me out so much; batshit plot aside the thing that makes that game so memorable is the very creative ways in which it uses its medium to interact with the player ("SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE!", using the codec number in the manual to reach an important contact). You're going to lose a lot of that magic trying to turn it into a movie; no interacting with the viewer and the plot is probably going to get pared down to its most basic elements. Like, why even bother at that point?

Edit: And thats not even getting started on MGS2. How the gently caress do you even approach THAT!?

Honestly, the batshit plot really accounts for a lot. If they just did a direct adaptation of Snake Eater, without any of the fourth-wall stuff, it would be a bad loving rear end movie and wouldn't really require them to touch any of the extra-weird stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

The problem is that Snake Eater has a loving long climax, from the Volgin fight, to the chase scene, to the Shagohod, The Boss, then the Ocelot stand off and finally the whole denouement with EVA's tape I mean can you fit that in a 90 minute movie in a way that makes sense

Honestly, I feel like you'd have to make it a good bit longer than 90 minutes, but I also think this is one of the few times a movie would actually warrant a 2:30 runtime.

e: also, yeah, it wouldn't really be that hard to cut down if you wanna take the scissors to it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The hamburger conversations with Kaz and Code Talker redeem MGSV's writing, imo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

I just want Rampage on my PS4 in all it's 8 bit glory

They should do an HD update of World Tour or Universal Tour. 16:9 resolution would really help those games all on its own.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I guess there's been a jailbreak and the boys are back in town.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's basically no chance in Hell that Disney is going to torch the Alien, Predator or Planet of the Apes series. Disney likes money, and those three IPs are probably a decent factor in Disney wanting to buy Fox in the first place; as far as IPs that Fox owns outright (as opposed to Marvel licenses), those three are basically the big cash cows.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If this deal goes through Disney will own 60% of Hulu, at that point why even bother with the capital investment of starting their own streaming service?

I think that's kind of the point: they can just rebrand Hulu and use its backend instead of actually starting their own.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

It was actually supposed to be an Aliens ride with the Xenomorph and everything, but Disney could see the parent complains a mile away for having an attraction dedicated to a R Rated property, and one that isn't even theirs.

Oddly enough the ride that came out of it was STILL too intense and they basically closed it after awhile.

Yeah, they tested it as an Alien ride called "Nostromo" and actually got really far in production, IIRC, before a higher up at Disney went "wait, what the gently caress" and forced them to retool it.

The interesting thing is, though, the ride being too scary for children originally didn't matter at all- ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter was, by all accounts, the exact same original idea (complete with the alien being an obvious Xenomorph expy), just with all the Alien IP stuff filed off. And not because of potential parent complaints; it was apparently an internal Disney rule that rides based on external IPs had to be PG or lower, which has since relaxed to PG-13 or lower (since PG-13 is basically the lowest rating that a movie not explicitly made for small children can get nowadays), and the Alien stuff just somehow snuck by without anyone noticing for a while.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

If the Fox deal happens then Disney will essentially be airing a Batman show on their network.

Perfect excuse for them to try and buy WB/DC next

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

Who does Disney need to buy for them to release the original version of A New Hope? Because as I recall, one reason why we haven’t seen it is because its rights are owned by three separate studios or something.

As mentioned, that's a red herring; Fox has a stake in any release of A New Hope, original or altered, and IIRC handled most of the distribution for the SW movies for Lucasfilm prior to the Disney buyout.

The most plausible reason is that they don't give a poo poo, followed slightly by "they're worried about having to resubmit the movies to the MPAA and getting slapped with PG-13s for movies that were PG beforehand." Which would be insane from any company other than Disney, but this is Disney, they don't really like acknowledging that their darker stuff exists generally (how often do you see them acknowledge The Black Hole?).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

Ugh....All the Marvel movies are Pg-13. So are all the POTC movies. Both Star Wars movies they've released have been Pg-13.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, a PG rating for any movie is about as rare as an NC17 nowadays.

I didn't think I'd have to say this explicitly, but if there's two different versions of the OT with different age ratings, that might confuse the poo poo out of parents who want to buy their kids the Star Wars movies. This is, again, negligible to a company that's not absurdly controversy-averse, but Disney is absurdly controversy-averse and the thought of some idiot fundie starting a shitstorm because "they made Star Wars more violent than it was when I was a kid to corrupt our children" is probably not incredibly appealing to them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

basic hitler posted:

The funniest thing anyone can say about tarantino doing this is "i bet he uses racial slurs in a star trek :haw:" but loving nobody is making good rear end jokes about how this is a chance for him to create elegant 9 toed green alien feet.

People aren't joking about that, is the thing. From what I've seen, people are angry as gently caress about Tarantino getting Star Trek because it means the N-word will now inevitably be said in Star Trek.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The eyes look loving awesome and I don't know what's wrong with y'all. Given what Alita is, it makes perfect sense for her to be a bit uncanny-valley.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seriously this movie looks amazing holy gently caress

e: do we have any clue what MPAA rating they're targeting? if it's gonna be R, I'm looking for midnight showings

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 8, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm gonna be genuinely annoyed if they do that because I think the eyes look baller as hell

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

Alita's appearance falling into the uncanny valley was never a thing brought up in the manga or anime; she looked no different than the human characters. It's an odd design choice, and I'm not a fan of it. The rest of the trailer looks pretty cool though. And I like the rest of the cast. Also looks like RR dialed back a bit on his usual flair which has me a little hopeful. I just really don't like the way Alita looks though :(

I mean, yeah, it's not something the manga or anime did, but the whole point of an adaptation is to have a different take on the material, and I think the choice pretty much works. :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also no one knows or cares what Battle Angel Alita is. It being based off a cartoon they never saw or heard of(as opposed to one they have, or something original) is another turn off.

you'd be reeeally surprised. it has a pretty big cult following in the US and with people you probably wouldn't expect to be into anime, it was actually one of the earlier things Viz brought over here back in the 90s.

it's not, like, Attack on Titan level popular, but it's probably on the same level as something like Guyver or Fist of the North Star.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's pretty obscure compared to Ghost In The Shell and it's ridiculously obscure compared to something like Dragon Ball or Pokemon. It doesn't even register on the graph:

see, i'm not arguing that it's some massive million-seller or anything. the words i believe i used were "cult following," and I specifically compared it to Fist of the North Star and Guyver in popularity.

at a glance, my comparison was basically dead-on: internationally, FotNS destroys the other two in popularity, but in the US there's not that huge a gap and all three are basically near each other.

e: your methodology is flawed in that you're doing 2004-present, when last 5 years is a better indicator.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, if we're gonna take this as evidence of anything, Google Trends has Alita: Battle Angel trending neck and neck with loving Infinity War

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

You compared Battle Angel being no bigger a risk for a studio to develop a $200 million dollar movie on than a new Mad Max or Aliens movie. :thunk:

Fury Road was a sequel made 30 years later, for a shitzillion dollars, to a film series that was most known by people under the age of 40 as "that thing with all the leatherdaddies crashing cars into each other." Fury Road was a pretty massive risk and yet nobody batted an eye.

The new Alien movies are new entries years later in a franchise that has been absolutely dragged into the shitter, with no characters people recognize and the title creature not actually technically appearing in Prometheus. Again, pretty loving massive risk on paper.

My point was that both of these worked out totally fine. If someone who's got a history of churning out hits the way Cameron does (or George Miller does, or Ridley Scott does) tells you, the dumb film exec, to jump, you say "how high?"

Because if you do, they will cast their dark magic and open up the wallets of filmgoers everywhere for you

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
even conceding the point and assuming that i am literally one of the only people in america who has ever heard of this series, it's not even the first time Hollywood's adapted some random-rear end anime nobody's ever heard of into a major blockbuster

and while Edge of Tomorrow kinda just did okayish at the box office and didn't set the world on fire or anything (and actually underperformed pretty badly here in the US), that movie had a lot working against it and I would not put "based on obscure anime" at the top of that list

e: i'm not even a hundred percent sure what this argument is about anymore, i feel like i somehow managed to fishmech myself

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 10, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:chanpop:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
We almost got a Neuromancer movie written/directed by Vincenzo Natali with art direction by Tsutomu Nihei. That would have been absolutely loving sick.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

D&D alignment makes no sense and encourages poor table play, Grey Jedi is just people who arent exposed to religious reformation movements struggling to come up with Reform Jedi or Jedi of the Latter Day Force Sensitive

i agree with the former, but how do you figure on the latter? i would assume the concept comes more from people who are exposed to religious reformation movements struggling to plug the idea into Star Wars.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

In case anyone thought I was exaggerating about Pierce Brosnan's "singing" sounding more like a defensive mother bear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvTEvmhnAMk

I'm not watching that whole clip, but I skipped around and he sounds sorta like Meat Loaf, actually.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
holy gently caress Max Landis is done

IT'S A GODDAMN CHRISTMAS loving MIRACLE

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, the trailers are at least partly affected by what you're seeing- Shape of Water probably has horror trailers attached because it's being pushed to horror fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Bright is pretty much fine. I was expecting the politics to be, like, aggressively terrible, but even looking at it as uncharitably as possible, it's a movie that tries to say something good and ends up being a bit tone-deaf about it.

• Locked thread